First look: Apple's new third-generation iPad with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 307
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is just a little test. I'm testing out the new dictation feature on the new iPad. I'm not doing any auto correction now and I'm not going to fix any mistakes. I'm just speaking pretty freely and pretty fast because that's how I fucking speak okay. So far this dictation feature seems to work pretty good. I also tried it with my friend earlier on Skype in the chat box and it works really well. I'm now more convinced than ever that the moron who was suing Apple for Siri is a complete fucking retard and the guy obviously has some severe speech defects. not a single word in this post is being typed or corrected. Everything you hear is coming directly from my fucking mouth. I have now been this test to be successful in this post is now completed see

This is a response to your post. I am also using voice dictation on my new iPad. So far so good. Today's screensaver word of the day is puce adjective of a dark red or purple brown color. The more I use my iPad the more I falling in love with it.
  • Reply 62 of 307
    Gadgets by themselves can't make anybody happy. YOU make yourself happy.

But there lies the problem isn't it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

So after checking out all of the new features, I was left feeling kind of meh about it. I'm sure I'll enjoy the better display, but I am left feeling disappointed. The magic is gone from my previous experiences.

• Reply 63 of 307
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Interesting. It ended the sentences properly, but it didn't capitalize the beginning word of one? And I see that it doesn't quite understand question marks yet, but I'm sure you can manually vocalize them in.

All in all, exactly what I'd expect from Nuance software. Does it require an Internet connection to work?

at the end of each sentence, I manually say "period". if there was no question mark, it's because I didn't say the word.

I still haven't figured out how to make it jump to the next line, like enter or return, but I'm sure that's something simple.

I'm connected to the Internet now, so I'm not sure if it works wirelessly or not. It seemed to be very quick and responsive, but I'm not sure yet.
  • Reply 64 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arrclight View Post

Any insight as to whether cases from iPad 2 fit well for the new one?

Mine fits.
  • Reply 65 of 307
    Quote:

at the end of each sentence, I manually say "period". if there was no question mark, it's because I didn't say the word.

I still haven't figured out how to make it jump to the next line, like enter or return, but I'm sure that's something simple.

"New Paragraph"

"New Line"

• Reply 66 of 307

Gaaagus....

I got mine about 1/2 hour ago... the Fedex delivery guy said he had about 30 on his truck and they had 1,600 in the Fedex depot in Pacheco CA -- SF East Bay.

The dictation is fantastic!

I noticed you can use the new iPad while it is syncing apps -- a great feature since it takes a couple of hours to sync the 603 apps I had on my iPad 2.

Rear camera is significantly better!

No problems with connector cable!

• Reply 67 of 307
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

I still haven't figured out how to make it jump to the next line, like enter or return, but I'm sure that's something simple

Paragraph?
  • Reply 68 of 307
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

"New Paragraph"

"New Line"

That's great, thanks for the info.
  • Reply 69 of 307
    Quote:

This is just a little test. I'm testing out the new dictation feature on the new iPad. I'm not doing any auto correction now and I'm not going to fix any mistakes. I'm just speaking pretty freely and pretty fast because that's how I fucking speak okay. So far this dictation feature seems to work pretty good. I also tried it with my friend earlier on Skype in the chat box and it works really well. I'm now more convinced than ever that the moron who was suing Apple for Siri is a complete fucking retard and the guy obviously has some severe speech defects. not a single word in this post is being typed or corrected. Everything you hear is coming directly from my fucking mouth. I have now been this test to be successful in this post is now completed see

Fucking fantastic. The fucking thing really does work I'm doing the same thing and it actally is understanding what I say. It even seems to understand the word bollocks.
  • Reply 70 of 307
    The dictation was even able to spell out correctly my 10 letter Polish last name- I'm guessing because my name is already in the device somewhere. Interesting!
  • Reply 71 of 307

Don't know if you have seen this (from TUAW}:

New iPad Adoption Rate

• Reply 72 of 307
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freddy V View Post

The article states "The box and packaging for the new iPad is largely the same as its predecessor. In fact, the biggest change is a silver iCloud logo on the bottom of the box, opposite the silver Apple logo displayed on the other side."

Sorry, but the silver iCloud logo was also on the box of the iPad 2. The store where I work as an Apple-Certified Macintosh Technician still has iPad 2's in stock, and I'm looking at one right now. They had the logo there as soon as iOS 5.0 first came out.

It's hideous. It reminds me of an XBox...Box.
  • Reply 73 of 307
    Does anyone here use Zaggkeys solo?

I just wanted to know if this accessory will work with the new iPad. ZAGG ain't fessing up since they want people to fork $99 for the folio version.
  • Reply 74 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maverik234 View Post

Mine fits.

Which case do you have? I'm looking for a case preferably one with a clear backing.
  • Reply 75 of 307
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by feamster View Post

Has anyone noticed the difference in the dock conector size? I tried to plug my ipad 2 charging cable into the ipad 3 and it wouldn't fit. The ipad 3 connector looks the same but has a very secure feel to the plugin.

Same size, just usually snug. It will loosen over time.

Quote:

Since the 2 cats have already demolished my shears, the purchase of drapes will be much more involved than the iPad

I was going note the cats as being an issue.
  • Reply 76 of 307
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

The Prime has a 4 core CPU and a 12 core GPU.

The iPad has a 2 core CPU and a 4 core GPU.

The Prime with all that hardware cannot keep up with the iPad....game over

iPad vs Android tablets:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165...ame_over_.html

They aren't even on par with the iPad 2.
  • Reply 77 of 307
    Quote:

Which case do you have? I'm looking for a case preferably one with a clear backing.

I have a folio case, perfect fit.

Does anyone else think the sound output is louder?
  • Reply 78 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd like to see AppleInsider invest in a nice photo studio setup. Grainy pictures on the glass coffee table just aren't good enough for this site.

Yes... grainy pictures on a wooden coffee table would be much better

Or, a more natural setting... say the throne room

• Reply 79 of 307
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

^ That goes against the "insider" name. Blurry cam effects makes you more legitimate.

We "pros" call that FOV
  • Reply 80 of 307
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Interesting. It ended the sentences properly, but it didn't capitalize the beginning word of one? And I see that it doesn't quite understand question marks yet, but I'm sure you can manually vocalize them in.

All in all, exactly what I'd expect from Nuance software. Does it require an Internet connection to work?

Maybe because Mr. Narcissist started almost every sentence with a I or I'm.