Foxconn workers question why hours are being cut after FLA review

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 206
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes on all accounts.

Somehow I don't believe you. Deliberately paying more than one needs to for purchases puts you at a needless economic disadvantage, unless you are independently wealthy. Are you? This exchange reminds me of a very important piece of business to take care of... where's that "ignore list"?
  • Reply 202 of 206
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    Another example of Western culture not having a clue about Asian culture or the rest of the world for that matter. $600~ a month is poverty for our living standard and yet we have the audacity to go oversea and look at how overwork and low-paid they are and draw the conclusion they need to work even less??? All this in the name of humanity rights and equality? All this nonsense doesn't add up other than multinational corporations fixing their names in the press. It does nothing to ACTUALLY help those people to improve their lives or wages/hr. Our arrogance knows no boundaries...

That said, Apple isn't the only tech companies guilty of this, and sadly, this is probably as far as they will or can push this issue.
  • Reply 203 of 206
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Somehow I don't believe you. Deliberately paying more than one needs to for purchases puts you at a needless economic disadvantage, unless you are independently wealthy. Are you? This exchange reminds me of a very important piece of business to take care of... where's that "ignore list"?

Wealthy is relative but I do make more money than I spend. My auto requires premium gas but I don't drive very much because I use mass transit often. I shop at the Sprouts grocery everyday to buy a few fresh high quality nutritious ingredients. I own a small but high quality house, rather than visa-versa. That is how I try to live. Fewer higher quality purchases. I also tip generously as I believe that I receive better service as a result. For example when I take my car to the car wash, I tip the first guys at the vacuum station as well as the detail guys at the end. It is only a couple extra dollars but I'm hoping they treat my car better while it is in their care.
  • Reply 204 of 206
    Without making any particular comment about the alleged working conditions at Foxconn, the situation does sort of remind me of a movie I saw several years ago. I think it was called "Fast Food Nation". In one segment, a group of well meaning (but rather clueless) young people went out to a beef cattle farm to "free" the cattle. They opened the gates and started screaming, "Run! You're free!!!"... but the cows just kept grazing. The cows just wanted to eat and chew their cud. The kids couldn't understand that.

Don't get me wrong. I am NOT comparing the Chinese workers to cattle or dumb animals. But I do see some similarities between some of these well meaning labor activists and the animal rights activists in that film. Before you try to do something that is going to affect someone's life (and might have unintended consequences), it's usually good to include them in the discussions and the decisions.
  • Reply 205 of 206
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wealthy is relative but I do make more money than I spend. My auto requires premium gas but I don't drive very much because I use mass transit often. I shop at the Sprouts grocery everyday to buy a few fresh high quality nutritious ingredients. I own a small but high quality house, rather than visa-versa. That is how I try to live. Fewer higher quality purchases. I also tip generously as I believe that I receive better service as a result. For example when I take my car to the car wash, I tip the first guys at the vacuum station as well as the detail guys at the end. It is only a couple extra dollars but I'm hoping they treat my car better while it is in their care.

Then I am baffled by your viewpoint. I believe in being generous with my tipping also, but I wash and detail my own car. I prefer healthy foods, but I also don't like to throw my money away there. Sounds like you have quite a bit of discretionary income or savings... Good for you, but learn to hold onto your money. You never know when you'll really need it.
  • Reply 206 of 206
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Then I am baffled by your viewpoint. I believe in being generous with my tipping also, but I wash and detail my own car. I prefer healthy foods, but I also don't like to throw my money away there. Sounds like you have quite a bit of discretionary income or savings... Good for you, but learn to hold onto your money. You never know when you'll really need it.

Good advice. I do budget my money. You detail your car, I don't. I could have my car washed everyday for free if I wanted because that is part of my dealer services when you buy a new car. I tried it once and they did a mediocre job and others have said the same so I take it to a really first class car wash because they can do a ten times better job than I can. I do mow my own yard but not to save money only because I don't want any cross pollination from the gardener's mower. I have Fescue grass but a some of the neighbors have Bermuda which I do not want invading my yard.

Anyway, everyone makes choices on whether to buy something more expensive of higher quality or not. That is why I'm happy to pay a bit more for Apple products, because they are a better value in the long run.