Safari

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So far after using it a little I seem to like it. It's fast (Chimera's still a drop faster though), the Brushed Metal isn't as bad as I thought it'd be, the Google Integration's cool and everything else seems good. The one thing I'm pissed about is that it doesn't have tabs and because of that I'll probably stick to Chimera.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 247
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm shocked Apple rolled their own. :eek:
  • Reply 1 of 247
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I'm loving Safari. It's now my default browser and I don't think I could ever go back to Chimera (which was always buggy and most times wouldn't even open on my Pismo) or IE.
  • Reply 1 of 247
    dotzdotz Posts: 1member
    it crash on my computer...

and it doesn't pop up a window to rename a website...

ok...let me try again
  • Reply 4 of 247
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Safari is faster then chimera, especailly on back caches. I love it. Needs a few tweaks (print button, download open/save dialog, autofill and killing pop up windows that aren't called from a link only) tabs would be cool but not totally necessary. Overall, very, very pleased with it. It's like Chimera with spell check!!

Great show. The only show I know that Apple stock didn't lose like 4 points.
  • Reply 4 of 247
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>I'm loving Safari. It's now my default browser and I don't think I could ever go back to Chimera (which was always buggy and most times wouldn't even open on my Pismo) or IE.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You really had that many problems with Chimera? Ever since .6 came out I hadn't had any problems with any sites.
  • Reply 6 of 247
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Even as a beta it seems to be the best browser around. Much better than iCab, IE, or anything else out there. Tabbed browsing would be nice, but I don't miss not having it. You can have sub menus in the bookmarks bar, which very nice.
  • Reply 7 of 247
    One thing I noticed just now was that it doesn't save the window placement. I had quit Safari and re-opened it and the Window positioning was screwed up.
  • Reply 8 of 247
    Also love the history. Like IE. So now IE doesn't have much over safari other than autofill and a download manager with open/save dialogs and a print button. Seems spell check has to be enabled every launch.
  • Reply 9 of 247
    vasvas Posts: 16member
    Safari seems about as fast as Chimera to me, but it's missing two key features: tabs (as mentioned above), and more importantly, Keychain intergration. I have come to rely on Chimera's keychain access, and it seems silly that Apple's own browser is missing it.

Oh, and right/control-clicking should bring up more options, like back, forward, etc.

I'll be emailing Apple about these, I hope other people will do the same.
  • Reply 10 of 247
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I'm in love with the Bookmark management although it feels a bit scattered (collections vs. the menu vs. the bar).

I'm surprised that they didn't utilize the drawer like Chimera does.

Screed
  • Reply 11 of 247
    Good point, vas. I totally forgot about how much I liked the Keychain integration in Chimera.
  • Reply 12 of 247
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    ie just got dropped in the trash.
  • Reply 13 of 247
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I also couldn't find the change name of URL menu. Anyone know how to access it. Also as far as I can tell I can't transfer my bookmarks from I.E. Again, any suggestions. This is a Beta of course and there are some things missing that will eventually addressed. I like it. Typeface is very crisp on sites I previously thought were fine on IE. Great name too.
  • Reply 13 of 247
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    My initial thoughts about Safari (beta v84):

* I cannot stand the brushed metal look. Yeuck!

* it is slightly faster than Chimera (01/06 build) on my iBook/500/320

* I am pleasantly surprised that it blocks pop-ups

* Bookmarks management is no good until I can import my Chimera bookmarks

* don't really care about the lack of tabs

I'm sticking with Chimera for now. But there's a good chance I'll switch when Safari 1.0 hits the street.

Escher
  • Reply 15 of 247
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 16 of 247
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know about Chimera but Safari imported my IE bookmarks without me doing a thing. They were just there.
  • Reply 17 of 247
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>My initial thoughts about Safari (beta v84):

* I cannot stand the brushed metal look. Yeuck!

* it is slightly faster than Chimera (01/06 build) on my iBook/500/320

* I am pleasantly surprised that it blocks pop-ups

* don't really care about the lack of tabs

I'm sticking with Chimera for now. But there's a good chance I'll switch when Safari 1.0 hits the street.

Escher</strong><hr></blockquote>

For chimera bookmarks, remember this is iTunes for the web. Drag each bookmark over and put them whereever you want. You can't do more then one but it's a simple drag and drop into the bookmarks menu.

It blocks ALL pop ups tho I hope they allow linked pop ups in the future along with a few other options.
  • Reply 17 of 247
    I love it.

Brushed metal looks GREAT IMHO, I like the bookmark management (i was toying with ToolBars in IE--I like this better), it is faster than IE for me (I never really used Chimera). This is my default browser now, no doubts. EXCELLENT job, Apple!
  • Reply 19 of 247
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong> Also as far as I can tell I can't transfer my bookmarks from I.E. </strong><hr></blockquote>

My Explorer favorites were automatically imported by Safari. Look at the bottom of the bookmark window.
  • Reply 19 of 247
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>Are there some Apple shennanigans going on in Safari???

I havent been able to load MOSR or ThinkSecret at all, although both work just fine in OW 4.1.1 literally side by side. Safari just gives an unable to load page for 30 seconds sheet and ceases trying.

It also doesn't FULLY subscribe to the spelling service which I consider a major flaw even in Beta status as service integration isn't that difficult, especially for the homegrown services. You can access the Spelling service through the contextual menu, but we already know it should be properly available without the CM in a properly written Cocoa app. Well bug report to be submitted.

I do like the speed though. Has anyone figured out how to painlessly import OW bookmarks?

[ 01-07-2003: Message edited by: AirSluf ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

As with Chimera, try to open OW's bookmarks and drag them over into the bookmark well as you would mp3s into iTunes. Worked for me on Chimera.