Macworld: Activist plan 'dramatic' greening of Apple Store SF at 6:00pm

Comments

• Reply 21 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to show up or not. It might be fun, but I think I'll at least go check it out for a good laugh or something...

How about a counter protest?

What slogan should we have to protest Greenpeas protesting Apple?
  • Reply 22 of 162
    owlboyowlboy Posts: 37member
    Since when does apple make Pink keyboards?

-Owl
  • Reply 23 of 162
    benjbenj Posts: 68member
    Oh God - Can't you guys see what GP is doing??? I'm all for Apple but it's not just about Apple- it's about raising awareness that something needs to be done. You're all talking from comfy homes with central heating and everything you need. Try living in slums with old computer components surrounding you dumped there. If any of you actually read the site rather making presumptions about them causing some sort of mass hysteria you would realise this (in fact they appear to be Apple fans!). I'm not going to write off an opinion- as someone said previously we all have a right to free speech- In America you've got the first Amendment- what's you're problem with people voicing it? At the end of the day Apple has an awful lot of responsibility on their backs, they are an 'innovative' company- which means they are always one step ahead of the game- if Apple are, as they say, using toxic materials and such, there are ways around doing so- and with designers as good as they employ they have a responsibility to be one step ahead environmentally too. It's not a question of taking sides- it's a question of weighing the views- Apple would be an all together more favourable company if they used materials that were more environmentally friendly- plus it would be at the cost of no-one to do so. Although I can understand people taking sides with Apple, as I myself have done so for years- is it not time they took the lead in something else?

Just throwing it out there for the taking :P
  • Reply 24 of 162

small steps..
  • Reply 25 of 162
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to show up or not. It might be fun, but I think I'll at least go check it out for a good laugh or something...

Sebastian

Dress casual. Bring riot gear.
  • Reply 26 of 162
    i never understand why they don't do something more important! Why don't they go and do something like change us from gas to hydrogen!!!There MUST be something more important for them to do

Don't get me wrong, I love the environment, I want hydrogen now, less pollution, etc. But Greenpeace does all these random things that DON'T help!!!

What about the Indian ship graveyards, the marshes just outside of New Orleans, and all those other things that we're killing with our pollution.

Greenpeace is a rogue group just under the guise of saving the earth from pollution...they just say that so they can do whatever they want without people stopping them...

Also, if Dell recycles 80% of their computers, and Apple recycles only 30%, Dell is still not recycling many times more stuff than Apple
  • Reply 27 of 162
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    I give a lot of money to environment causes and things of this ilk, but this infuriates and is a perfect example of the problem with liberal causes.

Yes, Apple is not perfect. (Although the EPA pronouncement today has to put some rain on this parade.) But on the whole, as a company, they try.

Picking on Apple reminds me of those liberal causes that pick on Whole Foods. These people are never satisfied, get into debates as to what "organic" means, when Whole Foods--while certainly not perfect--is TRYING to do better providing healthy food and local providers. Yet, there are no protests against the massive chemical "food factories" etc. They pick on Whole Foods because, just like Apple, they are an icon.

The problem is it rewards the wrong behavior. "Bad" companies use it as rationale to do nothing. 'Hey, look at those guys. They are spending more money and trying, and they get protests. Might as well do nothing, make more money, and get the same amount of bad pr--and in most chances, less bad pr since we are not an icon.

All of these groups admit Apple does better than most. But they are using the Apple brand to advance their cause in a manner which is harmful to Apple.

No good comes from this.
  • Reply 28 of 162
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

How about a counter protest?

What slogan should we have to protest Greenpeas protesting Apple?

Hmm a Slogan.

Personally I'd like to turn them Black and Blue

I was never good with Slogans though

Let's turn their Parade of Green Yellow

My plans go like this:

Find out everything I can about Greenpeace's Anti Apple Movement and Apple's Environmental Standards and the actual Regulations, and Pick out a couple of PC companies and prepare a counterargument in the span of an hour and a half, I'll really only have an Hour though.

Go down there at 6 and laugh until I'm Green in the Face

If there is already an Anti Greenpeace argument, Join in on the fun

If an argument should arise, present my counter argument (with a bit of help, I'm no good at speeches because I have a very slow voice and forget what I am about to say half the time)

Then I will spend the next 3 days monitoring their every move outside of Macworld after school, they may be booted before I get the chance though.

Sebastian
  • Reply 29 of 162
    jamesgjamesg Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCrazy View Post

Although Apple are being scape-goated, something needs to be done globally about the environment. Picking on a 'trendy' company especially one so concerned about its image may result in an effective campaign for Greenpeace. The way they are going about it is less than desirable but their concerns are quite valid.

I agree with this statement.

I will admit that I have admired Greenpeace in the past for having the guts to stand up and *try* to get the world to recognize key environmental problems. Just think of the positive work they did to stop nuclear testing (think about the challenge of floating your boat into a nuclear test area to prove your point). I think organizations like this are needed to keep the corrupt honest. Think about it...with NO environmental protection, corporations would throw the worst chemicals imaginable at you just to make a buck.

It does seem true that they are focused on Apple in this case because it will generate the most publicity. More publicity, even bad publicity, is not bad for Apple either because it gets their brand name out there. Apple shouldn't have kicked them out of MacWorld London (unless they were completely belligerent). They should just continue to work on their environmental programs and policy, offer proof of this, and pledge to cooperate and work better. But more controversy is more publicity.

I also hope Greenpeace is willing to stand up to scrutiny. Shining green lights on a building, for example. Are these solar-powered lights? If not, why not?

Ultimately, it will be true that targeting the source of toxic products versus physically cleaning them out of our landfills will be better in the long run. But at some point, someone does need to go on garbage detail and clean up the mess we have made.

I'd rather have clean water to drink than a fancy new iPod.

James
  • Reply 30 of 162
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenJ View Post

Oh God - Can't you guys see what GP is doing??? I'm all for Apple but it's not just about Apple- it's about raising awareness that something needs to be done. You're all talking from comfy homes with central heating and everything you need. Try living in slums with old computer components surrounding you dumped there. If any of you actually read the site rather making presumptions about them causing some sort of mass hysteria you would realise this (in fact they appear to be Apple fans!). I'm not going to write off an opinion- as someone said previously we all have a right to free speech- In America you've got the first Amendment- what's you're problem with people voicing it? At the end of the day Apple has an awful lot of responsibility on their backs, they are an 'innovative' company- which means they are always one step ahead of the game- if Apple are, as they say, using toxic materials and such, there are ways around doing so- and with designers as good as they employ they have a responsibility to be one step ahead environmentally too. It's not a question of taking sides- it's a question of weighing the views- Apple would be an all together more favourable company if they used materials that were more environmentally friendly- plus it would be at the cost of no-one to do so. Although I can understand people taking sides with Apple, as I myself have done so for years- is it not time they took the lead in something else?

Just throwing it out there for the taking :P

Citizens should apply the pressure to companies they find breaking the law or polluting excessively. I'm sure plenty of GP'ers would like for consumers to not consume anything at all, but there we are. Picking on Apple might get them attention, but they're barking up the wrong tree.
  • Reply 31 of 162
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Dress casual. Bring riot gear.

Unfortunately I don't live in a barn and don't have access to Pitchforks or Torches

Sebastian
  • Reply 32 of 162
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    If they do what they say they're going to do - stand around outside the store handing out fliers - great. Let them.

But if they do what protesters usually do - resort to vandalism and violence - then I hope they get arrested and spend years in prison.
  • Reply 33 of 162
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    this thread shows that what greenpeace is attempting to do is working. they've even got the fanboys talking about greeing their apple.
  • Reply 34 of 162
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Huh? How is flashing green flashlights into a transparent cube going to help the environment? Somebody tell me.
  • Reply 35 of 162
    loulou Posts: 43member
    Why are you people so adverse to what green peace is trying to achieve? Yeah, we may have our sexy macs now, but give it 50 years and it'll be a different world and we need to do something now, either way, what harm does being more environmentally responsible do, none, but it inevitably cleans up the environment, which benefits every single one of us.

I can just see all you guys saying you'd 'beat up greenpeace', probably either frail geeks who don't leave the house or fat, rich out of touch business people, wake up to what's around you, the world isn't your own private sanctuary.

Greenpeace, you are true heros, much more than those who do fu*k all from their armchairs/computer desks.
  • Reply 36 of 162

Here's my problem with Greenpeace and attacking techonlogy, they wouldn't stop until we all go back to living in caves, wearing animal skins, and foraging for food!

So that no matter what Apple does in terms of the environment and their products, Greenpeace will be Apple bashing as long as Apple has a high public profile.

Now I must be off in my inflatable boat to terrorize humankind!

• Reply 37 of 162
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    It's probably better to just support WWF.
  • Reply 38 of 162
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Huh? How is flashing green flashlights into a transparent cube going to help the environment? Somebody tell me.

I hope they had energy saving bulbs in those floodlights.
  • Reply 39 of 162
    My uncle is in the EPA and his dad, my grandfather was poisoned and killed from toxic chemicals used in GE manufacturing plants, my family has never bought a GE appliance since, anyway my uncle hates greenpeace and believes that they only get people to mock and halt environmental efforts that actually help, unlike most of greenpeace demands. I mean come on, if he hates greenpeace there has to be something wrong there. I?m just worried that some people will actually not buy an apple product and buy from another company because of these tree huggers in front of the store. Anyone who?s informed about greenpeace will not care at all but most people aren't informed... Anyone think apple will do anything to counter these protests (not by changing any policies)?
  • Reply 40 of 162
    Me and my third arm bud could care less.