Apple delays Leopard release until October

Comments

• Reply 81 of 504
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atticusdsf View Post

this is bittersweet.

leopard getting delayed is *not* a good thing, especially as it makes them look like microsoft,

I'll take a 4 month delay over 5 years any day.
  • Reply 82 of 504
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

I'll second that.
  • Reply 83 of 504
    ebrunnebrunn Posts: 75member
    After all the losers sell, it will be a perfect time to buy more Apple stock. Can't believe people can't see the big picture here.
  • Reply 84 of 504
    I reacted with similar WTF??? outrage when the Intel switch was announced. "Who in their right mind will buy a PPC Mac now, until the Intel models come out???" I wrote.

Many, many people. In fact, I'm still on my PowerBook and I'm doing fine.

It sucks, but my guess is it won't harm their sales too much.
  • Reply 85 of 504
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yebot View Post

Is Apple really robbing in-house OSX developers to work on iPhone?

So it says. And this is not surprising, since we talk not about Apple Computer Inc. anymore. Do not forget that.
  • Reply 86 of 504
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atticusdsf"

this is bittersweet.

leopard getting delayed is *not* a good thing, especially as it makes them look like microsoft,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Bingo!

Especially considering that shipping Leopard before it was ready and chock-full of major bugs would make Apple look more like Microsoft than any 4 month delay ever could. \

Stevie J made the right call.

• Reply 87 of 504
    ebrunnebrunn Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

I reacted with similar WTF??? outrage when the Intel switch was announced. "Who in their right mind will buy a PPC Mac now, until the Intel models come out???" I wrote.

Many, many people. In fact, I'm still on my PowerBook and I'm doing fine.

It sucks, but my guess is it won't harm their sales too much.

It wont, the average person dosent even know about Leopard
  • Reply 88 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

We should offer our apologies to this other rumour site

No. They attributed the delay to Vista. That is still laughable.
  • Reply 89 of 504
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtrwallace View Post

OMG I'm about to hang myself... ok not really but I PLANNED to upgrade my 15" powerbook in late June/July. Now what the hell am I supposed to do? I have to wait till November to upgrade my now defunct and soon to be even more defunct G4. AREWBANLDFGJSDFK:JAS. SO effing mad right now I could rip my hair out. Apple has never disappointed me the 5 years I've been with them until now.... such a sad day indeed this is.

Tiger on a C2D isn't good enough? If you want/need a new machine then get one!
  • Reply 90 of 504
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

It wont, the average person dosent even know about Leopard

Wasn't there a preview ad on the front page of apple.com for awhile. Until a few days ago, actually? That would mean that everyone who went to apple.com knows...
  • Reply 91 of 504
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,428member
    It's a bummer that Leopard is delayed but let's be honest Tiger hasn't even hit its 2nd birthday. It's not like we have a rapidly growing defunct OS. Unlike others ...I do want the iPhone to have tremendous success because it's platform agnostic and iTunes/iPods shows us that when Apple nails this they make a lot of cash and that funds cool new Mac products. A few more months is trivial to wait IMO.
  • Reply 92 of 504
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

No. They attributed the delay to Vista. That is still laughable.

Yes. But attributing it to iPhone is just as laughable. Maybe both are true, maybe neither. Apple doesn't always tell the truth.
  • Reply 93 of 504
    Why in the World are they all over the Map with "Leopard???"
  • Reply 94 of 504
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtrwallace

OMG I'm about to hang myself... ok not really but I PLANNED to upgrade my 15" powerbook in late June/July. Now what the hell am I supposed to do? I have to wait till November to upgrade my now defunct and soon to be even more defunct G4. AREWBANLDFGJSDFK:JAS. SO effing mad right now I could rip my hair out. Apple has never disappointed me the 5 years I've been with them until now.... such a sad day indeed this is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Tiger on a C2D isn't good enough? If you want/need a new machine then get one!

Y'know, we can tell people to go buy a new machine, but that won't make it happen. Considering the delay, Apple could help themselves out a lot by stepping up here.

For example, by announcing an upgrade coupon plan of some kind. "Buy a Mac, get a coupon good for a $19.95 upgrade to Leopard once it's released." It would end a lot of the b*tching, and would negate any kind of 'waiting for Leopard' sales slowdown.

I don't think the Leopard delay will hurts sales in a MAJOR way, but Apple doesn't have to miss its numbers by much for the analysts to start screaming the sky is falling and the stock to drop a lot. We might think that'd be a cool scenario ('cuz we'd buy), but Apple probably wouldn't agree.

• Reply 95 of 504
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Crap.

Crap. Crap. Crap.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

What does this mean for iLife? Skip a year and bring out iLife '08 with Leopard in October? (Suits me.)

I've been fearing this.

Crap.
  • Reply 96 of 504
    2 bits.
  • Reply 97 of 504
    fletchfletch Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Well, get on with the hardware updates already then Apple. The Mac mini has turned into an antique, we need HDCP support on the displays, better graphics hardware in general, etc. Obviously, there is no point in holding this stuff off for Leopard now.

Exactly. I've been waiting patiently to get a new iMac and I couldn't wait for June and now it's going to be even harder to wait until October. BUT, if this extra delay means better graphics and memory options, it will be well worth it.

But still.....October.....damn.
  • Reply 98 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

See the problem isn't that Leopard is delayed. The probelm is that people wait for Leopard before they buy their new hardware, which slows sales of said hardware and potentially these people might just go with Vista instead of waiting.

So they said October and are probably are shooting for a July or September release date to surpirse us. They've done it before, and because of what you mention above, they'll do it again if at all possible,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

how often did Jobs jab at Microsoft for delaying Vista?

We are talking about a few months, then again, it's already been 2 years since Tiger came out. We will we see a tenth upgrade to Tiger before Leopard's release?

Anyway, would you rather have Apple compared to Vista because of a short delay or because of the number of bugs affecting it's operation? Yeah, me too, I'll take the time delay.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackPepper View Post

I don't care about the damn iPhone! I am a Mac user and have been longing for Leopard It's just a toy for kids! But Leopard would be the real thing, for adults! Now, you sacrifice it for a phone, you...

I am so frustrated at the moment. xxxxxxx iPhone!!!

Your frustration is clearing driving you mad. The iPhone is not a toy and clearly not designed for kids. You may not care about it, but Apple does. This market has a potential of increasing Apple's value a lot more than a new OS will. I know of many Windows users who are interested in the iPhone (a safe introduction into OS X) and will probably get Macs after using the iPhone.
  • Reply 99 of 504
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The new iLife will drop it's yearly naming scheme for good, and become part of Leopard, iWork may very likely do the same.

You think? I think they will just miss a year. And I think .Mac will get the same year appended to its name instead of a version number.
  • Reply 100 of 504
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

10.4.9 is fine.

And it'll only get better.

That is, once we get the 10.4.9.1 update.