Apple updates MacBook with faster chips, more memory

Comments

• Reply 81 of 164
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,405member
    Aargh...... I was sooooo proud that I got a good friend of mine -- who's not exactly wallowing in cash -- to switch to Apple with a Macbook last week. And this week, in typical Apple fashion, they come out with new/improved at slightly lower price.

I feel really bad. Does she have any recourse?

Any advice on how to moan/groan/beg/plead would be greatly appreciated.

\
  • Reply 82 of 164
    Two week return policy. Give them a call or go to the store she bought it from. I bought my first Mac from CompUSA, and within a week, Apple released a upgrade. The gave me a choice of getting the latest model, or the cash difference.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Aargh...... I was sooooo proud that I got a good friend of mine -- who's not exactly wallowing in cash -- to switch to Apple with a Macbook last week. And this week, in typical Apple fashion, they come out with new/improved at slightly lower price.

I feel really bad. Does she have any recourse?

Any advice on how to moan/groan/beg/plead would be greatly appreciated.

\

• Reply 83 of 164
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamsSandwich View Post

Apple is totally awesome!

And anyone who disagrees with me is either a whiner or a troll!

Admin, please block this troll.
  • Reply 84 of 164
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

If ASUS can do it, Apple can do.

Could you supply specs and a link?

Thank you
  • Reply 85 of 164
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Two week return policy. Give them a call or go to the store she bought it from. I bought my first Mac from CompUSA, and within a week, Apple released a upgrade. The gave me a choice of getting the latest model, or the cash difference.

Thanks.

Just to confirm (and this may be useful info for others as well): Even with a RAM and HD bump? And, bought from the Apple Store?
  • Reply 86 of 164
    I think these new machines could have been priced just a bit lower....

o well...
  • Reply 87 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

Every Windoze laptop maker and their mothers are releasing LIGHT (4 pounds or less), THIN, and FAST laptops at competitive prices.

sure.....

Well that does it for me... I am switching to M$ and to VISTA ......RIGHT NOW AND ORDERING A DELL because of this fact... screw OS X.... LOL
  • Reply 88 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThunkDifferent.com View Post

I am mixed about the latest release of the Apple, inc. macbook line. it seems to be solid on many fronts, but as a consumer, is it time to buy a new macbook, or... wait.

Wait for Leopard, new chips, and verified 3G connectivity. That is probably the smartest thing to do. Regarding the release, it had to be done, Apple needed to refresh, it was just.taking. too. long. I expect more out in August before the universities start. Otherwise October is a good bet, a certain cat is said to start purring around then.

http://ThunkDifferent.com

Speedy enough for consumers to catch them at the current 10% laptop market rate? Find out.

Your blog is like totally awesome!
  • Reply 89 of 164
    Looks like the market is administering corporal punishment on Apple for this weak product announcement.
  • Reply 90 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamsSandwich View Post

Your blog is like totally awesome!

Not cool impersonating someone else's identity, kid.
  • Reply 91 of 164
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    soo if I bought a black MacBook yesterday, can I go back and demand this update?

How do they typically handle this situation?
  • Reply 92 of 164
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shabbasuraj View Post

sure.....

Well that does it for me... I am switching to M$ and to VISTA ......RIGHT NOW AND ORDERING A DELL because of this fact... screw OS X.... LOL

I just got off the phone with Steve Jobs. His words were "Why change a successful product to something that may or may not be as successful as the current product. Apple will only change when a product is not succeeding in the marketplace".
  • Reply 93 of 164
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWAL View Post

soo if I bought a black MacBook yesterday, can I go back and demand this update?

Why would you care? This "new" MacBook is hardly any different from the old one.
  • Reply 94 of 164
    thorstenthorsten Posts: 46member
    Well there is nothing really new about these is there?

Its basically more bang for your buck, nothing new at all aas far as i can tell, same macbooks as before just lowest end model is now fast than before.

What has really changed?

And as far as I can tell the Super Drive is the same speed as the MacBook Pros
  • Reply 95 of 164
    doemeldoemel Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Wow they are still fleecing us for the black model. Are they saying black is superior? Why is it the top of the line model?

didn't you know? black is the new white!
  • Reply 96 of 164
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post

What has really changed?

Low-end: 2.0 GHz CPU, 1GB of RAM, larger HD 80GB.

Mid: 2.16 GHz CPU, larger HD 120GB, 8x SuperDrive.

High-end: 2.16 GHz CPU, larger HD 160GB, 8x SuperDrive.

Price: -50? in Europe.

The SuperDrive is the same speed as the 17-inch MacBook Pro. The 15-inch MBP has a 6x.
  • Reply 97 of 164
    The $1500 macbook black should have a real video card in it.

and the $1000 mac book should have a dvd-rw drive not a dvd/cd-rw as $500 - $600 laptops come with them.
  • Reply 98 of 164
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    It's a nice little upgrade that Apple threw in - let's face it, the "old" MB would still be selling at the same rate if the upgrade hadn't hit today.

The simple fact is that the MB will not be mare advanced than the MBP so it won't have SR before the MBP with SR is announced. That might happen at WWDC, but the MB will not change the same day - the MB is not a WWDC type product.

I just got a new "old" generation MB today under a warranty exchange and I'm delighted with it. The new version might be slightly better, but I'm not letting this one out of my hands.

As for PCs having SR available, I'd bet my new "old" MB is faster running OS X than the PCs are running under Vista.
  • Reply 99 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWAL View Post

Absolutely. Get on the phone.
  • Reply 100 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post

Well there is nothing really new about these is there?

Its basically more bang for your buck, nothing new at all aas far as i can tell, same macbooks as before just lowest end model is now fast than before.

What has really changed?

Faster processors

More RAM

Larger hard drives in all models.

802.11n enabled

8 X SuperDrive vs 6 X

Same price.