Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Comments

• Reply 61 of 433
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

No goddamned minitower... guess I'll have to wait till next year... DAMNIT!!!

hope springs eternal Just you and me MsNly, I guess...
  • Reply 62 of 433
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Could it be that the glossy/glass screens are being implemented now for a future multi-touch upgrade?
  • Reply 63 of 433
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

hope springs eternal Just you and me MsNly, I guess...

My hope in Apple to make an affordable machine as practical and usable as the operating system is just about gone. Instead we shall get products like the iMac where form is significantly more important than function.
  • Reply 64 of 433
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Just ordered mine

20 inch

2.4GHz

1GB RAM

500GB Hard Disk

£1,009.00

Now all I have to do is wait
  • Reply 65 of 433
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I'm confused about the wireless keyboard. Why did we have to lose the number pad?

m
  • Reply 66 of 433
    fletchfletch Posts: 74member
    I'm really disappointed in the GPU offering....I hope we can upgrade to something better.
  • Reply 67 of 433
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halcyon View Post

I don't think 3D games performance @ 1920x1200 was on their mind, when they selected the gpu

Personally I'm more happy about full bitstream VC1 acceleration in hw, IF ATI provides the drivers for that (that's a big if).

Apple writes their own drivers for chipsets they offer directly.
  • Reply 68 of 433
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    no numeric keys on the keyboard? or the photos is off
  • Reply 69 of 433
    Was really hoping to hear that buy the iMac now and get a free upgrade to Leopard in 3 months...Killing me to wait for the free upgrade coupon.....
  • Reply 70 of 433
    fletchfletch Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

no numeric keys on the keyboard? or the photos is off

There's two different keyboards.....the standard wired USB (which has a 10 key pad) and the compact bluetooth version (no 10 key)
  • Reply 71 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Apple didn't release the triple quad-core duo 4.99 Ghz ultralight with 750GB flash memory, an NGeorgeousia 9850GXVT graphics card and 72 hour battery life I had expected them to for $399. Boy, am I bummed.

In the mean time, I just placed my order for iLife and iWork, and will pick up the new iMac in November after I get to see one in person (I want to see the color coordination first).

I think the specs are pretty nice and the extra HD space will be needed. FW 800 will really help for backing up video.

Agreed. These are fine systems for doing 90% of the market needs.

The Pro Machines are for the 10% of the Markets.

Now, when they offer future Cinema's, Mac Pros and OpenGL 2.1 GPUs for CAD/CAM and FEM Modeling, etc., then I'll know Apple really wants the Engineering/SIGGRAPH/ParticlePhysics, etc., Government/University/etc., Commercial/Research markets.

These machines are a great update.

The FW800 is a great addition for these machines.

I buy Game Consoles for Games.
  • Reply 72 of 433
    The best part is the standard memory is 1 stick so you dont have to throw out a stick to upgrade to 2GB or 3GB. Rock on Apple!
  • Reply 73 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Could it be that the glossy/glass screens are being implemented now for a future multi-touch upgrade?

That and it's a lot easier to clean these screens.
  • Reply 74 of 433
    The black border around the screen looks really jarring to me. The old iMacs had a much more consistent theme with the white. I think aluminum is cool, but why mix two colors? Why is the back black? I think it would look so much more sleek if the entire thing was a unified color.

Also, so much for a smaller chin.
  • Reply 75 of 433
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    so am i the only person here who thinks this new iMac is repusevely ugly and it looks like a cheap mock up of the old iMac by an amateur?

i was hope for something breath taking... this seems more like a revision than a new generation. and i hate it with a passion. i just hope my amazingly beautiful iMac G4 lasts until a new and sexy iMac comes out. i hope apple hasn't lost it's touch
  • Reply 76 of 433
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Apple didn't release the triple quad-core duo 4.99 Ghz ultralight with 750GB flash memory, an NGeorgeousia 9850GXVT graphics card and 72 hour battery life I had expected them to for $399. Boy, am I bummed.

• Reply 77 of 433
    Intel® Core™2 Extreme mobile processor

Experience the world's highest performing mobile processor². Bar none. Now you have the performance to play the latest multi-threaded games anywhere, with the Intel® Core™2 Extreme dual-core mobile processor X7800.

4 MB of shared L2 cache

800 MHz front-side bus
  • Reply 78 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

so am i the only person here who thinks this new iMac is repusevely ugly and it looks like a cheap mock up of the old iMac by an amateur?

i was hope for something breath taking... this seems more like a revision than a new generation. and i hate it with a passion. i just hope my amazingly beautiful iMac G4 lasts until a new and sexy iMac comes out. i hope apple hasn't lost it's touch

By all means, don't buy one.

Wait until the Cinema Displays are released and buy a Mac Pro/MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 79 of 433
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

There's two different keyboards.....the standard wired USB (which has a 10 key pad) and the compact bluetooth version (no 10 key)

thanks, two different keyboards huh
  • Reply 80 of 433
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

thanks, two different keyboards huh

www.apple.com/keyboard/

I find it quite curious how the system requirements stated for the wireless is that I will need an existing keyboard for setup. That has to be a mistake.