Wireless experts weigh in on iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 161 of 380
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Can't say I have ever witnessed such activity. Not the right thing to do especially today if you want to get back in the corporate world.

And if you were to sue for 'wrongful termination' broadcasting by blogging your mouth off is something your lawyer would not advice.

Don't you think if Apple had recently fired some Antenna Engineers. we'd have heard about it-- especially with all the purported antenna problems? Apple couldn't even keep the iPhone secret-- I suspect all the anti-Apple trolls would jump on any evidence of a firing. We even have some here suggesting that new job openings imply firings...

Let's see some evidence of firings-- linkedin, anyone?

• Reply 162 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

So Apple is going to hire more people when they already hired people who worked on the new antenna system?

Exactly how many people should work on an antenna? I'm sure it's a coincidencethat it's a tipoff especially when the dates coincide with the public acknowledgment of the antenna problems.

Knowing Jobs I'm sure he's the type to keep people around after they failed at their responsibilities.

Please cite a reference and a link supporting your assertion!

Oh, you can't!

Then please provide sufficient information about your background, history, expertise, biases, etc. so we can evaluate how much weight to give your unsubstantiated assertions!

• Reply 163 of 380
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Don't you think if Apple had recently fired some Antenna Engineers. we'd have heard about it-- especially with all the purported antenna problems? Apple couldn't even keep the iPhone secret-- I suspect all the anti-Apple trolls would jump on any evidence of a firing. We even have some here suggesting that new job openings imply firings...

Evidence of firings ? What evidence are you looking for ? The job openings for antenna designers seems pretty obvious to me. Sorry you can't put two and two together. Yes, this could all be a coincidence. Kinda like the coincidence Apple finally starts making iPhone cases, and this case only covers the antenna. Nobody is saying these are facts. But they are highly possible.
  • Reply 164 of 380
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Mine is 86025

I only see bars lower when I'm in an area of weak 3g service to begin with and even then it doesn't affect download speeds terribly bad

Battery life is fantastic as a side note

I wouldn't think your phone was built last week and I have a friend with 86026 so digits 4 and 5 can't represent the week, at least not starting with the Gregorian calendar.
  • Reply 165 of 380
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

I guess, you missed the part where I intentionally dead short it with a metal coin and still don't have a substantial drop in the connectivity. So, all the theories of 'shorting' the gap with skin don't hold water.

There are a lot of variables here. For instance is WiFi and Blutooth turned on. Plus the fact that even after these technical reports people still don't uderstamd that the bar system for reporting signal strength means nothing. People make mountains out of this bars issue when the only thing that matters is making calls or not.

In any event I'm still using my 3G and I gave to say it looks like iOS 4 has introduced a lot of bugs. Some of those apppear to be related to the behaviours of RF networking. So there is a possibility of some problems being fixed with a software update. Things related to attenuation of the signal won't be helped by software though.

What is funny here is that from all reports I've seen people could have the best phone reception going if they add a case or in some way insulate the antennas. So people are really complaining about the best device on the market in many ways.

I don't want to dismiss people that are having problems or think they are. Rather the suggestion is that many are engaged in mass hysteria. When it comes right down to it a cell phone is nothing more than a two way radio, like all two way radios it requires a little intelligence upon the part of the operator. Intelligence is something lacking in a good portion of Apples customer base.

Dave
  • Reply 166 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Evidence of firings ? What evidence are you looking for ? The job openings for antenna designers seems pretty obvious to me. Sorry you can't put two and two together. Yes, this could all be a coincidence.

So your argument is that they need to have first fire someone before they hire someone else? ¿Que? How does any company ever grow at that rate? How about, they are hiring people because they need more people.

Quote:

Kinda like the coincidence Apple finally starts making iPhone cases, and this case only covers the antenna. Nobody is saying these are facts. But they are highly possible.

OK, so you think Apple knew they had a devastating "design flaw" on their hands, but instead of hiring people months ago to deal with it they waited until a week AFTER it shipped before trying figure it out; but wait, there's more, you also think Apple's great idea to fix this "design flaw" was to not actually fix the problem, but to hope no one notices (because no one ever scrutinizes Apple¡) and to make a case to sell for $29 that will pull a fast one over each and every customer. That is absurd!
  • Reply 167 of 380
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Let's also remember that phones can save people's lives. God forbid you're injured in an accident and you can't get a reception because you're holding it the wrong way.

A working phone is one of the most important survival tools in today's world.

And what about all of those car crashes due to texting and talking on the phone?
  • Reply 168 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So your argument is that they need to have first fired someone before they hire someone? How does any company ever grow at that rate? How about, they are growing faster than the industry and are hiring people because they need more people.

Maybe because Steve Jobs was pissed, and rightfully so, and fired them on the spot, before they hired replacements. Or even using your logic, maybe they are still working for the company. But only until they get their replacements up to speed.
  • Reply 169 of 380
    Quote:

Maybe because Steve Jobs was pissed, and rightfully so, and fired them on the spot, before they hired replacements.

Pissed at what? That sounds a lot like you are saying the iPhone 4 is flawed by design (despite not affecting all users) and that it was the antenna designers that forced Apple to make the antenna external. Does any of that really seem likely to you?
  • Reply 170 of 380
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I can't get to the keynote on Apple.com. Did they remove it?

I was looking for that photo of the antenna pieces that was shown.

Basically my confusion is that as I recall there were only two pieces that served as multiple antennas.

How does the GSM antenna share with the others?

Doesn't the GSM antenna need to be located on the bottom of the device per FCC?

So where does the GSM part stop if the top seam is way up on top of the device?
  • Reply 171 of 380
    Quote:

Pissed at what? That sounds a lot like you are saying the iPhone 4 is flawed by design (despite not affecting all users) and that it was the antenna designers that forced Apple to make the antenna external. Does any of that really seem likely to you?

Uhh, it could have been the idea of these people to design this external antenna. And their responsibility to weigh all the pros/cons of their design and the testing of it. Very likely.
  • Reply 172 of 380
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

WHile I agree with the sentiment that an anecdote doesn't mean anything, isn't it usually Republicans that are always in denial? Drilling is safe, salt in food is fine, excluding millions from healthcare won't have any impact on society... etc...

Actually, the three "examples" you cite can easily be refuted. But getting into reality would be off topic at this forum.
  • Reply 173 of 380
    Quote:

I wouldn't think your phone was built last week and I have a friend with 86026 so digits 4 and 5 can't represent the week, at least not starting with the Gregorian calendar.

Yeah I was surprised when I saw the last two digits.

The odd thing I have noticed is that the number of bars seem to fluctuate a lot more than previous versions but call quality and download speed hasn't been affected for me. I've only really seen the fluctuation in my office (well cube) where with my previous iphones I would hangout with one bar throughout the day. With the 4 I can see it go from 5 to 3 to 4 to 1 in a matter of a few moments without being touched
  • Reply 174 of 380
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I wonder if this whole thing would go away if the bumpers didn't seem to be so overpriced. I can imagine it's annoying if the phone drops calls because you are holding it in a way you naturally hold any other phone, and it's probably doubly annoying if the solution to that is to pay what feels like way over the odds for the bumper.

For the record, I don't own an iPhone 4, so I can't comment on how severe this problem is. I have a Blackberry that my company gives me, and that's shit for reasons a cover won't fix.

The issue is that in order to get this phenomenon while making the call, you have to hold it in a very awkward way. The way most people would hold the phone would not cause a problem - which is why most people (even those who can duplicate the problem) say that the use as a phone is excellent.

Quote:

I find it amusing how Apple proudly promoted there is no right or wrong way to hold the iPad. Great design !! Designing a product that fits the user. Apple took a compete 180 on the iPhone 4. There is suddenly a right and wrong way to hold their newest product. And the way many people normally hold a cell phone is now the wrong way. The user now has to adapt to the product.

How many people hold the cell phone in a way that causes a problem?

We have a lot of people who can manage to duplicate the problem if they go out of their way to do something, but how many of them would see a problem in normal usage?
  • Reply 174 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Basically my confusion is that as I recall there were only two pieces that served as multiple antennas.

Don't know, but you can DL them for free as video podcasts.
    BTW, good questions.
  • Reply 176 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Return your freaking phone and buy something else! With your opinion of Jobs and Apple I have to wonder why you and your comrades are still lurking and screaming. Why in the hell are you still an Apple customer? Do you actually like dealing with what you consider to be an evil corporation with no feelings or concerns for its customers? Aren't you and others displaying classic symptoms of battered spouse syndrome and Stockholm syndrome. It sure does look that way to me. How utterly sick. Do business with a company you respect instead of sticking with one you consider the personification of evil. God there are physiologically sick people in this forum.

When get you are old enough to think rationally and analyze data for yourself, instead of blindly accepting everything Jobz says and sells without scrutiny, you will understand how those of us feel. Apparently you and the other lemmings don't mind being lied to and insulted by a guy that wants your money and considers you a dope.
  • Reply 177 of 380
    Quote:

Evidence of firings ? What evidence are you looking for ? The job openings for antenna designers seems pretty obvious to me. Sorry you can't put two and two together. Yes, this could all be a coincidence. Kinda like the coincidence Apple finally starts making iPhone cases, and this case only covers the antenna. Nobody is saying these are facts. But they are highly possible.

Do you believe that Apple has no new wireless products under development? Again, go to the site below and search the archives for recent patent activity-- it involves a lot of non-phone-call wireless activity:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/tech-nfc/

Apple is always balancing their work force to address the current needs and those anticipated for near-term new products

If apple is savvy they:

1) would have fired the non-performing engineers months ago when they first detected the problem (when they decided to sell a bumper case)

or, more realistically:

2) Would be using the Engineers who are most familiar with the iPhone 4 antenna (the Engineers that created the purported problem) to solve the problem-- thus they would have to hire additional Engineers to work on antennas for devices in the pipeline: iPod Touch; Universal Remote?; enhanced AppleTV;

It is pretty obvious to me that you have no business experience, personnel skills, and never had an employee-- other than an occasional baby-sitter or gardener (boy to mow the lawn).

• Reply 178 of 380
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum;1665442[B

]Don't you think if Apple had recently fired some Antenna Engineers.[/B] we'd have heard about it-- especially with all the purported antenna problems? Apple couldn't even keep the iPhone secret-- I suspect all the anti-Apple trolls would jump on any evidence of a firing. We even have some here suggesting that new job openings imply firings...

I think you have the wrong person. I never implied anything like that. But I do agree with your comments about the trolls.

I might suggest though that this may even be a new position, dedicated specifically to help resolve the purported issue at hand.
  • Reply 179 of 380
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I just checked at Apple.com and had no problem viewing the keynote.
  • Reply 180 of 380
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

What are the first 5 digits of everyone with an iPhone 4?
    Mine is: 88022

Factory: 88 . .= ???

. .Year: . 0 . = 2010

. .Week: . .22 = May 30th—June 5th?

Mine is 88026. No issues to report. Any antenna signal attenuation is minimal as I haven't noticed any problems.