Wireless experts weigh in on iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 181 of 380
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Uhh, it could have been the idea of these people to design this external antenna. And their responsibility to weigh all the pros/cons of their design and the testing of it. Very likely.

I think your posts have moved into the realm of wanting to read the most negative possible meaning into any possibly related event.
  • Reply 182 of 380
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don't know, but you can DL them for free as video podcasts.[INDENT]? http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/a...es/id275834665

[

BTW, good questions.

I forgot I had javascript off since that is the only way to get on AI sometimes with the ad scripts not completing.
  • Reply 183 of 380
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockman View Post

When get you are old enough to think rationally and analyze data for yourself, instead of blindly accepting everything Jobz says and sells without scrutiny, you will understand how those of us feel. Apparently you and the other lemmings don't mind being lied to and insulted by a guy that wants your money and considers you a dope.

Don't you think it is rather childish to deliberately misspell "Jobs" name?

Why are you here?

Maybe your stats will enlighten us:

Glockman:

06-30-2010

Total Posts

• Reply 184 of 380
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Maybe because Steve Jobs was pissed, and rightfully so, and fired them on the spot, before they hired replacements. Or even using your logic, maybe they are still working for the company. But only until they get their replacements up to speed.

Apple has tons of jobs posted in all R&D areas pretty much all of the time. This really doesn't mean much at all. At the worst, one might read into it that they are continuing to advance their products and so need additional staff to work in those areas.

I suppose it might be titillating to imagine Jobs busting down the door, foaming at the mouth and firing every rf engineer in the building. Titillating but not really supported (for now).
  • Reply 185 of 380
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:

OK, so you think Apple knew they had a devastating "design flaw" on their hands, but instead of hiring people months ago to deal with it they waited until a week AFTER it shipped before trying figure it out; but wait, there's more, you also think Apple's great idea to fix this "design flaw" was to not actually fix the problem, but to hope no one notices (because no one ever scrutinizes Apple¡) and to make a case to sell for $29 that will pull a fast one over each and every customer. That is absurd!

What are you talking about ? I never claimed they are hiring these people to fix the iPhone 4 issue. And I never said Apple is trying to profit off their flaw ? LOL. Geez !!! Why are you making all this stuff up ? My personal opinion is that this antenna issue wasn't noticed into far too late in the designing/production process. Thus they came up with this faster, cheaper solution of covers to fix the issue, instead of redesigning and delaying the iPhone 4. They took a chance this issue would not get the attention it is now receiving. Very likely to me.
  • Reply 186 of 380
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

How about you are hiking in the mountains, and get bit by a Timber Rattler

Whoa! So now we're supposed to make sure phones work in the most unlikely of circumstances?

You are clearly an Apple hater and henceforth not worth the bother of replying to. Go grind your axe somewhere else.
  • Reply 187 of 380
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

My phone doesn't have any issues with reception, service or throughput when I touch "the spot".

I second that.
  • Reply 188 of 380
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

My personal opinion is that this antenna issue wasn't noticed into far too late in the designing/production process. Thus they came up with this cheaper solution of covers to fix the issue, instead of redesigning and delaying the iPhone 4. They took a chance this issue would not get the attention it is now receiving.

Doubt it. Jobs would never have made such a big deal about the antenna in the keynote. If he was worried about the scrutiny, he would not have brought it up at all. Even at a late stage of the production ramp up they could have applied a coating very easily.
  • Reply 189 of 380
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

What are you talking about ? I never claimed they are hiring these people to fix the iPhone 4 issue. And I never said Apple is trying to profit off their flaw ? LOL. Geez !!! Why are you making all this stuff up ? My personal opinion is that this antenna issue wasn't noticed into far too late in the designing/production process. Thus they came up with this cheaper solution of covers to fix the issue, instead of redesigning and delaying the iPhone 4. They took a chance this issue would not get the attention it is now receiving. Very likely to me.

You wrote "Maybe because Steve Jobs was pissed, and rightfully so, and fired them on the spot, before they hired replacements." and "The job openings for antenna designers seems pretty obvious to me. Sorry you can't put two and two together." and "Kinda like the coincidence Apple finally starts making iPhone cases, and this case only covers the antenna." You are implying that the hirings are done because of the iPhone 4 reception issue and that the Bumpers were created to mask the issue whilst making a profit from it.
  • Reply 190 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Apple has tons of jobs posted in all R&D areas pretty much all of the time. This really doesn't mean much at all. At the worst, one might read into it that they are continuing to advance their products and so need additional staff to work in those areas.

I suppose it might be titillating to imagine Jobs busting down the door, foaming at the mouth and firing every rf engineer in the building. Titillating but not really supported (for now).

Correct, looking at just the job postings does not mean much. But taken in the context of everything else, it is a very possible scenario. I'm not saying it's the only possibility. Just a likely possibility taken in the context of everything.
  • Reply 191 of 380
    Quote:

You are implying that the hirings are done because of the iPhone 4 reception issue and that the Bumpers were created to mask the issue whilst making a profit from it.

Correct. And it's a possibility. Not a fact, but a very real possibility.
  • Reply 192 of 380
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The issue is that in order to get this phenomenon while making the call, you have to hold it in a very awkward way. The way most people would hold the phone would not cause a problem - which is why most people (even those who can duplicate the problem) say that the use as a phone is excellent.

How many people hold the cell phone in a way that causes a problem?

We have a lot of people who can manage to duplicate the problem if they go out of their way to do something, but how many of them would see a problem in normal usage?

That's not true at all. When I make calls as I have always done since the launch of the 3G I naturally hold the phone in a way that that causes this issue. a) Because your hands up to your ear and therefore you can't see where your hand is, b) because I'm only ever using one hand as opposed to two I have less leeway how I hold it and c) because it's less parrallel to the ground I have more chance of the phone slipping out of my hand because it's not wresting on my thumb muscle and palm. Therefore making calls is the least comfortable and most tedious part of this issue, and it's often more important not to lose a call than it is to briefly have a web page not load.

Maybe what your saying has some truth for some people but I would be happy to bet it's a very small percentage.
  • Reply 193 of 380
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maciekskontakt

3dB is half of power. It is not small. That's why we, engineers, have logarithmic expression of power just to compress large drop/increase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber

I am sure Mr. Gaywood stands humbly in the shadow of your erudition.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

If you can't debate the FACT, then insult the messenger .... nice work!

I agree with you that one shouldn't do that. But I wasn't. I think you missed my point, a point that in my effort to be wry might have gotten lost.

I didn't debate the fact because it is true. My point was that he was pointing out something clearly self-evident to a guy who clearly has the credentials to know it. At the risk of an overblown metaphor, it struck me as though I were telling Einstein, that "we mathematicians have a thing called fractions." It just seemed silly and a little insulting to make such a comment to Mr. Gaywood in that manner.
  • Reply 194 of 380
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I think you have the wrong person. I never implied anything like that. But I do agree with your comments about the trolls.

I might suggest though that this may even be a new position, dedicated specifically to help resolve the purported issue at hand.

Sorry! But, I quoted your post for a reason-- not that you suggested firings, but you suggested that "fired" employees wouldn't sue or blog!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka

Can't say I have ever witnessed such activity. Not the right thing to do especially today if you want to get back in the corporate world.

And if you were to sue for 'wrongful termination' broadcasting by blogging your mouth off is something your lawyer would not advice.

You are, likely, correct that fired employees wouldn't sue or blog in a very competitive job market!

However, these are relatively specialized "expert" jobs in a small tightly-knit, networked, technical community with several back-channels! Any former Apple Engineers coming available would surely be noticed... Like the Palm employees leaving HP.

• Reply 195 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Even at a late stage of the production ramp up they could have applied a coating very easily.

We don't know if a coating will solve the issue. Nor do we know about the durability of a coating. If a coating will truly solve the issue, and be durable, Apple should be doing this right now !!! Why aren't they doing it now then ?
  • Reply 196 of 380
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Do you believe that Apple has no new wireless products under development? Again, go to the site below and search the archives for recent patent activity-- it involves a lot of non-phone-call wireless activity:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/tech-nfc/

Apple is always balancing their work force to address the current needs and those anticipated for near-term new products

If apple is savvy they:

1) would have fired the non-performing engineers months ago when they first detected the problem (when they decided to sell a bumper case)

or, more realistically:

2) Would be using the Engineers who are most familiar with the iPhone 4 antenna (the Engineers that created the purported problem) to solve the problem-- thus they would have to hire additional Engineers to work on antennas for devices in the pipeline: iPod Touch; Universal Remote?; enhanced AppleTV;

It is pretty obvious to me that you have no business experience, personnel skills, and never had an employee-- other than an occasional baby-sitter or gardener (boy to mow the lawn).

Wow. I am not sure what side you are on. But the way you sound,

I would argue with you vehemently that no one at Apple was aware of any antenna issues other than what was known about the state of the art at that time. Or that the bumpers were designed to address that issue.

Perhaps one should become a little more familiar with the FCC filing regulations. Such knowledge at the time of submission would require that Apple falsify the findings submitted by Federal Government approved laboratories; which would be a criminal offense.

It is unbelievable some of the comments inferring that Apple knew about the issue before they were brought to market, are purposely attempting to hide to problem or placing the blame on the consumer. There are laws against that to, especially as governed by a Federal agency.

If Apple can't resolve the problem by a software fix, mechanically modifying or replacing the antenna, they will recall and replace the product, or refund it accordingly.

Thank heavens that has been their policy for years, and one that has relegated Apple to such high levels of consumer confidence for their products, as well as their service and support.

Their is no evidence to suggest otherwise.
  • Reply 197 of 380
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:

Correct. And it's a possibility. Not a fact, but a very real possibility.

Since you don't have any actual, you know, evidence to support it, calling it a, "very real possibility," is pretty much the same as me claiming that the iPad release caused the Gulf oil spill. After all, they happened about the same time and there were job postings for Apple engineers and oil workers seen, too much of a coincidence to ignore!

Sorry, but for it to be considered a, "very real possibility," you need to have more supporting evidence than what feeds conspiracy theorists. As for it being a possibility, well, yeah, pretty much anything is a possibility.

What you have here is what's known as a wild conjecture.
  • Reply 198 of 380
    I'll find out for myself.

I've just put myself on Tesco's waiting list for the iPhone 4. (...in partnership with 02.)

£20 a month.

1 year contract. (My first, currently a PAYGO...)

Unlimited texts.

Plenty of call time.

Unlimited wireless.

That will do me.

Random thought: I'll be getting a copy of 'Crazy Birds.'

I guess I'd want a 'protective' case for a £500 investment that can easily get scratched in a pocket. A work colleague has hers in a leather pouch. (She has a 3GS...) Though whether I'll pay Apple's 'deluded' price for a 'bumper' depends on whether I get hit by red kryptonite or not. (Greedy Apple again. See the UK rip off price of the entry Mini Mac for details...yeesh. *Smells greed again...)

I'm excited. My first new phone in 5 years. I've been waiting for 'this' iPhone since 2007.

This.

Is.

The.

One.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 199 of 380
    I'm no.60 on the list. Come on, Apple.

Send more iPhones to Tescos...what's taking you so long.

I could have had an iPhone today. Orange offered my an iPhone right now. But theirs is a two year contract at £25 a month. With less texts. Less phone time.

I said unless they could match Tesco's offer...no can do. And I've been an Orange customer for 5 years.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 199 of 380
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Finally, something approaching scientific testing is bringing some light to this issue, and not just smoke.

Yes but the test pretty much prove Apples point, all cell phones are impacted by being held in the hand. I will go even further and say how that hand is positioned relative to the actual antenna will impact results on all cell phones. There is nothing out of the ordinary here.

Quote:

I always hate it when people who are wrong fail to admit it. Let me be the first to say that any posts I have made on the several threads devoted to this subject in which I have characterized dissenting posts as "hysteria" I repudiate.

Hysteria is the right word here The problem is we have masses of people concerned that they should return their iPhones when they have no problems whatsoever to report. If that isn't part of the definition of Hysteria it ought to be.

It is one thing to express a problem or concern you are actually experiencing. It is another thing to jump on the raft to hysteriaville when you aren't subject to the problems discussed. Frankly I see a bunch of idiots getting worked up over nothing in this thread. If the iPhone works for you get off the raft, the cold water might help you see with a little more clarity as you swim ashore.

Quote:

This does not mean that I accept these two tests as definitive. But it does mean that they have cast real doubt on my position, to the point where I cannot continue to assert it.

That is for you to decide. On the otherhand it should be pretty clear by now that iPhone 4 has one of the best antennas going right now on a cell phone. With the adoption of some sort of insulator it looks like this device would be ideal for people in fringe areas.

Quote:

The next step is to see that these tests are reproducible. Further, I still don't know what the motivations of the testers are, whether they are affiliated with or fans of competing products. Whether others were involved in checking their work or if they worked alone. And I am troubled by the fact that Mr. Gaywood made a post here, the tone of which was something other than what I would expect of a serious researcher--a little starstruck and defensive it seemed to me.

So, until further studies confirm these preliminary ones, count me as neutral on the subject.

Neutral is not really possible for me. This mainly due to the amount of ignorance seen in these threads. The only thing that really counts is making calls. All the reports indicate that iPhone can do this from place few other phones can.

Don't take this as dismissing the issue of antenuation of the signal. It is a real problem on all handheld RF devices. The problem is all the people looking at the bars displayed with different grips on the phone and declaring the problem as uniquely iPhone 4s.

Further what people may be seeing here is possibly new behaviour with respect to software. Frankly iOS 4 has issues on my 3G with respect to cell data. So yeah it is possible there are glitches to fix (there always will be) but they can't address hardware issues. In the end it is really just an educational tasks that affected users need to engage in.

Dave