Apple says iPhone 4 calculates bars wrong, software fix forthcoming

Comments

• Reply 21 of 435
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep same here. It is a shame this ever happened though, who ever did the bar software should be kicked hard up the butt. It has given the Apple haters way too much fodder ... although sales were not too shabby anyway

Even smartest people make some very stupid mistakes, actually you can call it a rule.
  • Reply 22 of 435
    fuwafuwafuwafuwa Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If, with the corrected signal bar reading, you move to an area of good signal then assuming the other end or tower has no issues then it should stop most drops. The issue now is users are being lulled into thinking they have a good signal when they don't. At that point blocking the signal is pretty easy whereas in a stronger signal area the blocking won't occur to the extent it drops a call.

As the report by AnandTech said that iPhone 4 has better signal reception, I think the update will lower the limit of "no signal".
  • Reply 23 of 435
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I've never had an issue, the phone is the best I've every had. Design is amazing. Software is the best in the mobile business.

If you don't like it, take it back. Go get that Froyo phone you've been secretly wanting all along. Well, you'll probably have to wait until 2012 since Froyo is a vapor release.
  • Reply 24 of 435
    mr_cazorpmr_cazorp Posts: 39member
    I guess when my web pages stop loading and my data speeds drop into the gutter, it's just a cosmetic issue. Whew, what a relief. Can't wait for this fix.

There is no antenna issue.

Your data speeds are as good as, or better, than they ever were.

These are not the Droids (TM) you're looking for.
  • Reply 25 of 435
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

It's good to have confirmation from Apple, but it isn't like this isn't exactly what Anand reported. The algorithm for the bars display is weighed to show a better signal than actually existed. The first problem of holding it resulting in the dropping of the number of bars being displayed is mainly a visualization problem..while there is a signal drop, it is not as pronounced as the display indicates.

But as Anand also stated, it doesn't change the fact that the actual amount of signal loss is still a problem.:

"The drop in signal from holding the phone with your left hand arguably remains a problem. Changing the bars visualization may indeed help mask it, and to be fair the phone works fine all the way down to -113 dBm, but it will persist - software updates can change physics as much as they can change hardware design. At the end of the day, Apple should add an insulative coating to the stainless steel band, or subsidize bumper cases. It's that simple."

The amount of signal drop is a fixed constant as it relates to the persons hand and position (let us assume this for the sake of simplicity). So there comes point where the signal is over powered by this blocking totally. Once you move to where there is enough signal to over come the block you are OK. In the area right on the point where the signal and blocking are equal the wavering signal strength will fluctuate just above and just below the blocking.

So I agree the bumper or clear coat would help for these marginal areas which, if this is your office, becomes very important. However, the same could be said for every mobile phone in existence. Maybe the iPhone 4 now has yet another advantage, we all know now how to add that extra drop of reception
  • Reply 26 of 435
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Hmmm...

I wonder what effect this will have on the sue-ers [sic]?

Will they. now, need to carry elaborate radiowave measurement tools to document their claim that the iP4 is dropping signal (rather than just misreporting the siglal strength)?

...interesting!

'course, this could be the basis for a new lawsuit-- falsely over-reporting signal strength, or somesuch!

BTW, I am stopping my postal mail delivery-- I just keep getting bills!

• Reply 27 of 435
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    So basically they are saying that they're going to update your phone to tell you that your reception is worse than it really is, bar wise. This doesn't fix anything. This isn't going to fix the people who live in lower reception areas from losing service completely or drop low enough to drop calls, where their previous iPhones or whatever they used works fine.

This is just smoke and mirrors. They also need to address the proximity sensor, although I think they are going to sneak it in. It's a real simple fix, just give it more tolerance.
  • Reply 28 of 435
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    I've noticed that the bars sometimes seem to be showing more bars than I would expect however the simple fact still remains that I can download 3G radio streams with no issues and then lightly hold the phone in my left hand and drop out of 3G to to the slower network and then get no service all within 10 seconds or so. And Apple thinks that normal!
  • Reply 29 of 435
    So how does this explain the testers who could make calls from their desk on the 3G S with no problem, but who get dropped calls from the same place using the 4G?
  • Reply 30 of 435
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    So basically, Apple is saying there is no problem with the antena, the only issue is you thought you were getting better reception thatn you were?

Even more BS that they say they've always calculated things this way. This means people should not be seeing any worse problems with the 4 than the earlier 3. Evidence does not bear this out.

This makes no sense. People's calls are dropping and data speed is much slower when portions of the antenna and touched and/or bridged. Apple's solution is to show you that you have less signal all the time?

I know all phones lose some signal when the antenna is covered, but APPLE'S IS THE ONLY EXTERNAL ANTENNA TOTALLY EXPOSED TO SKIN ETC.

If this indeed Apple's solution, ie. screw you, then I suspect they'll get a lot of phones back. When mine comes, if I have this issue I will take the opportunity to return it and go Android (not what I want to do). Apple is still in denial there there is a problem.
  • Reply 31 of 435
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So basically they are saying that they're going to update your phone to tell you that your reception is worse than it really it, bar wise. This doesn't fix anything. This isn't going to fix the people who live in lower reception areas from losing service completely or drop low enough to drop calls, where their previous iPhones or whatever they used works fine.

This is just smoke and mirrors. They also need to address the proximity sensor, although I think they are going to sneak it in. It's a real simple fix, just give it more tolerance.

Sorry, but you have your logic totally backward. It will not tell you the signal is worse that it really is, it will be accurate. The initial software reported a signal where there was no signal hence the frustration. Once it is accurate you will know where to get a call through ... like it has always been with mobile phones since they first came out ...
  • Reply 32 of 435
    rmsolemrmsolem Posts: 3member
    Nice to have Apple admit an error and a fix, and even a letter!

Now how about;

- The proximity sensor problem on the iPhone. I get this all of the time. My ear dials while I try to talk.

- The repeated wifi password prompting on the iPad.

In the last few months I've spent over $1,000 on Apple products and have had some unpleasant experiences. When they actuallyl admit and promise a fix that's even better.

Now they need to attend to matters farther down on the list.

You may not have had the two issues but many have. My "favorable" rating for Apple is on the upswing.

I'm considering the Genius bar but I'm afraid their solution will be a new piece of hardware with a 10% restocking fee when it's their issue.
  • Reply 33 of 435
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

It's good to have confirmation from Apple, but it isn't like this isn't exactly what Anand reported. The algorithm for the bars display is weighed to show a better signal than actually existed. The first problem of holding it resulting in the dropping of the number of bars being displayed is mainly a visualization problem..while there is a signal drop, it is not as pronounced as the display indicates.

But as Anand also stated, it doesn't change the fact that the actual amount of signal loss is still a problem.:

"The drop in signal from holding the phone with your left hand arguably remains a problem. Changing the bars visualization may indeed help mask it, and to be fair the phone works fine all the way down to -113 dBm, but it will persist - software updates can change physics as much as they can change hardware design. At the end of the day, Apple should add an insulative coating to the stainless steel band, or subsidize bumper cases. It's that simple."

Indeed. It also seems that people are missing the part of the letter where it states that this "mistake" in reporting the bars as stronger than they are, has been going on since the first iPhone came out. In other words the iPhone has always reported it's bars this way, and only with the new physical hardware design has it turned out to be a problem. This is tantamount to confirmation from Apple that the iPhone 4 actually has a hardware/design problem.
  • Reply 34 of 435
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Homie View Post

Lighten up Francis.

It is ok to love a phone and still be dissatisfied with a portion of it's performance. It is fair to complain.

I'm fine with the signal my self but I wish the notifications were more like on my Pre. There. I am keeping the phone and love it, but I found something to complain about.

Not all of us worship at the alter.

That makes sense, when the portion of the performance you're not satisfied with is not the PHONE part. That's like saying buying a car that you don't like the radio layout is the same thing as buyign a car that doesn't drive or handle properly.
  • Reply 35 of 435
    OK...if I touch and bridge the antennas, dropped call. If I use a bumber, call is not dropped.

To me, this is still a design flaw. There is no excuse for that.
  • Reply 36 of 435
    That doesn't explain this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4dfeSiOWw
  • Reply 37 of 435
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    This was correctly predicted by me weeks ago.

What is the easiest way to "fix" a hardware problem which causes decreased bars shown in software? Change the software display of bars so the hardware problem "goes away".

It doesn't fix the antenna problem, it doesn't fix the reception problem, it doesn't fix the radio problem.

It will just save Apple's butt so that customers shift their blame to AT&T away from Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 435
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ed Pummelon View Post

So how does this explain the testers who could make calls from their desk on the 3G S with no problem, but who get dropped calls from the same place using the 4G?

These reports don't stack up to well from anyone I have spoken to. Color me skeptical on many of these reports. Of course there are always exceptions but don't discount hysteria.

Humans are funny creatures. If I tell a client I have altered some code in their web site often they suddenly get problems, they are convinced are due to the changes ... even when I haven't made any changes (I fibbed)... I do this sort of thing to test people's sanity from time to time and alleviate boredom
  • Reply 39 of 435
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

A good company admits to its mistakes. Well done, Apple!

They are not admitting the underlying problem. They are attempting to cover it up. This will put them right back on CNN.
  • Reply 40 of 435
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Indeed. It also seems that people are missing the part of the letter where it states that this "mistake" in reporting the bars as stronger than they are, has been going on since the first iPhone came out. In other words the iPhone has always reported it's bars this way, and only with the new physical hardware design has it turned out to be a problem. This is tantamount to confirmation from Apple that the iPhone 4 actually has a hardware/design problem.

Or a stupid counter to AT&T problems ... Noooo I can't believe they'd do that!