Apple may introduce user interface overhaul in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

People keep saying that kind of fluff, but as of what exactly they'd like to see (save for mind-reading UIs) they are as vague as The Pixies lyrics...

Most want some kind of 3D interfaces that are ill-suited to everyday tasks and have proven to be a hard-to-use gimmicky failure in every specific implementation that we know of.

You make a good point, although before OS X was introduced, I for one never could have imagined the visual leap forward. If someone would have asked me then what I wanted to see in OS X, I wouldn't have known what to say, only that I would know it when I saw it. Same goes for now. I am ready for the next leap, but I can't imagine what Apple is cooking up in their labs...I just hope it blows me away.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uberben View Post

Lions are prey to other Lions, young males are kicked out of the pride by the current big males so they don't have competition for the females, a group of those kicked out young males will gang together and when strong enough, attack a pride, once the cubs have been killed and the male older lions killed or forced out the females accept the new males as in charge.

The reason male lions stay behind is because taking out an exotic deer is not challenging, fighting a whole group of young male lions is.

Is this AppleInsider or Animal Planet? Seriously, I think some of you are putting way too much thought into the OS X naming scheme. As long as they don't call it Mac OS Turd, I don't really care what nickname they give it.
  • Reply 63 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Once Apple makes an OS that I can talk to very fast without errors, and ask real deep meaningul question like on Star Trek then I'll get excited, but while I still have to type into a keyboard to enter text and navigate using my fingers forget it.

As long as there is still a keyboard/touchpad option for those of us who sometimes like to listen to music while using the computer... otherwise singing along could cause havoc!
  • Reply 64 of 82
    Ok. I am getting my first Mac since my last apple I owned was an Apple IIE. Yes pathetic I worked on Macs in HS 1990-93. But once in college my first computer I owned was Windows. My 2009iPhone 3GS purchase has changed that!!

Anyway, I been trying to figure out what you mean by "full screen" on a Mac. I finally get it, the dock is the Windows Desktop and their desktop is covered when in "full screen" does this mean that the new Mac "full screen" will cover the dock as well. I ask this cause I was in the NYC Fifth Avenue store testing the 27"iMac and noticed when i went to maximize the windows it didnt go full screen I had to drag the corners to expand it. Of course I stopped at the dock. I want to utilize that 27" screen without covering the dock the best I can.

So my final question will this new "full screen" on Mac cover the dock? I hope not. yes the full screen is what i prefer just dont cover the dock I like that the fact i won't have to close or minimize an application window to access the dock(desktop) like i do with the Dell I own now.

FYI: Yes I plan on buying a 27"iMac I juswt was waiting til the summer for 2 reasons:

1) Switching from PC since owning an Apple computer since Apple IIE and not used a Mac since 1990-1993 I didn't want to have to learn 2 seperate OS's in 6 months.

2) Knowing that tyhe iMac line refresh is coming soon!
  • Reply 65 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

...but there must be a method ... that lets you systematically discover all the features.

⌥ seems sensible.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

@elmsley

Yes, because as we all know, the essense of an OS release is HOW IT LOOKS.

Seems to work for women.
  • Reply 67 of 82
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 68 of 82
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I'd also like them to create hollow deck characters I can inteact with and have sex with Cmd Riker!

Is this what is known as "a few cards short of a full deck" ???? ....
  • Reply 69 of 82
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is nonsense.

For starters, the male Lion is basically "second in command" of the pride, so Lioness's beat Lions hands down. The Lionesses do all the hunting, and they are the ones that hand out the kill to the pride. The big scary male Lion's often have to wait until they are told to eat.

The Lion being the "King of Beasts" or the "King of the Jungle" is just an old British meme that came about because the Lion was the animal figurehead of the British Empire.

They had a reason for picking the beast, don't you think? Something about their size, maybe?

They were native to western Europe until around 100AD, and the Caucasus until around 1000AD. (And used to range through the Americas from the Yukon to Peru.)

Quote:

The obvious clue is that Lion's don't even live in a jungle, but rather on the savan[n]ah.

Except for those lions that happen to live in the jungle, being jungle lions. Such as the Asiatic lions in the Gir Forest of India. The lion's range used to extend up into (heavily forested) Europe and southern Asia. Even now, its African range extends across central Africa, well outside savanna regions.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

My only question on the next version after lion, if it's an 11.0, would it still be OS X, or OS XI?

After Lion, we'll still probably get 10.8 and 10.9, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple eventually walks away from X as a brand name and just calls it the Mac OS... leaving us with iOS and Mac OS. So, after 10.9, we'd get Mac OS 11. I'm sure they'll pick another fun branding scheme though. Maybe another animal? Maybe something else entirely. Apple has always been brilliant at that sort of thing. Well, not always. The 90s were a bit of a mess. Oh, those were dark days.
  • Reply 71 of 82
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    By the way... notice that there ISN'T a menu bar in the majority of these images of Lion. That's troubling.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/
  • Reply 72 of 82
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

By the way... notice that there ISN'T a menu bar in the majority of these images of Lion. That's troubling.

I wouldn't worry about it. It seems like the menu bar is out of view when you are interacting with launchpad, as well as other full screen apps, which makes sense. Right now in Pages, and I think numbers as well you can go to full screen mode where there is no dock or menubar, etc., and I like having the option. Just because of these screenshots I don't infer that Apple is doing away with the menu bar altogether. They could I suppose, but it doesn't seem very likely. One thing is for sure though, if they do something that drastic they will have something even better to replace it with.
  • Reply 73 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Personally, I think it's a great idea. It would allow me to clean up my dock to the bare essentials. If I want more apps, they're a quick swipe away. They're easily sortable, with large icons, and they disappear when I don't want to look at them. I only wonder if I'll be able to drag a file onto a Launchpad app...

Never thought about it that way. Thanks for sharing your view; possibly it will make sense to me after I've upgraded.
  • Reply 74 of 82
    Quote:

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that page before, although it does only show the snippets revealed at the keynote. One thing that struck me was the need to swipe to use some of those features - will 10.7 be the first OSX iteration that you need a pad of some kind to utilise all of the features?

re File systems. We know ZFS is dead for Apple, but I seem to remember them hiring File System engineers a while back. How about a new FS that works across both OSX and iOS? Perhaps that will have to wait for 10.8 though.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Macs are still extremely profitable for Apple. The success of the iPhone/iPod/iPad lines is aided by its existence and Apple's entire ideology is based around having a complete IT structure where users don't have to turn to Windows or the like.

First Xserve, then what? Xsan? Mac OS Server?
  • Reply 76 of 82
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

After Lion, we'll still probably get 10.8 and 10.9, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple eventually walks away from X as a brand name and just calls it the Mac OS... leaving us with iOS and Mac OS. So, after 10.9, we'd get Mac OS 11. I'm sure they'll pick another fun branding scheme though. Maybe another animal? Maybe something else entirely. Apple has always been brilliant at that sort of thing. Well, not always. The 90s were a bit of a mess. Oh, those were dark days.

I think Lion is the pinnacle of the OSX tree. I really do believe that Apple choosing the term Lion is symbolic of them planning on 10.7 being the final version of OSX.

There will be a new OS for both iPhone/iPads and macs after that. Plug your phone into a monitor and you'll get a desktop interface, swivel your iMac down and you'll get a touch interface. iOS 5 and 10.7 will probably hint at these features, but a total merger would be a few more years down the road.
  • Reply 77 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I think Lion is the pinnacle of the OSX tree. I really do believe that Apple choosing the term Lion is symbolic of them planning on 10.7 being the final version of OSX. ...

There are a limited number of big cats, so, eventually they have to run out of names. Following your logic, they had this all planned out when they released Cheetah. The entire idea of attaching that sort of symbolism is just ridiculously absurd.

But, if you want to get ridiculously absurd, how do we explain the backtracking from Tiger to Leopard, and the tiger is certainly a bigger cat than a lion, so why didn't Lion come before Tiger. Why couldn't they backtrack again? It get's pretty murky pretty fast if you try to read that much meaning into the names.
  • Reply 78 of 82
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 79 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

First Xserve, then what? Xsan? Mac OS Server?

Not quite sure what you're asking me?
  • Reply 80 of 82
    Quote:

People keep saying that kind of fluff, but as of what exactly they'd like to see (save for mind-reading UIs) they are as vague as The Pixies lyrics...

Most want some kind of 3D interfaces that are ill-suited to everyday tasks and have proven to be a hard-to-use gimmicky failure in every specific implementation that we know of.

Notice how I didnt say what I wanted or what it would be. I ain't such a jack ass to pretend I know but it would be nice to be alive to see hammer class computing