Samsung debuts Galaxy Tab S with high-resolution AMOLED screen, fingerprint reader

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57

Ooooh, Sammy got a fingerprint scanner on a tablet before Apple did!  

(Nevermind if it works, and nevermind that you are stuck with android.)  

Apple is doom!  /s.

• Reply 22 of 57
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member

Samsung should start selling softer products too ... they hurt wiping my a$$ with whatever that has samsung / android names on them .... :smokey: 

• Reply 23 of 57
    rogifan wrote: »
    personally I think they're both fulgly.

I can totally understand someone not liking either wallpaper very much. Personally I'm not a huge fan myself. Regardless, for someone to lob a bomb at Apple saying their wallpaper is fragmented just like Samsung's lame, sugary-sweet, disorganized diamond graphic is ridiculous. It has stereotypical, cliche Photoshop layer effects that are overused, worn-out, and just don't have the same substance, care and thought as Apple's usually do.

Again, as GadgetCanada rightfully stated in the first place, it's the same issue that separates Apple and Samsung in nearly everything they do. There are clear differences at the core of them as companies.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I see the media has a collective boner over the fact these tablets are slightly thinner and lighter than the iPads. So I guess thinner and lighter only matters when anyone not named Apple does it? Because every time Apple comes out with a thinner and lighter device the media tells us it's not innovation and is just boring, incremental updates.

Or "obsession with thinness."

• Reply 25 of 57
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Like the wallpaper that comes with iPads?

So that's where sammy and gang came up with their new background, eh?!!

• Reply 26 of 57
    crysisftwcrysisftw Posts: 128member

Never mind the fisher-price quality and software, just look at that. Just look at that picture at the top... Go ahead, I'll wait...

It's like an inebriate describing what an iPad probably looks like to a 5 years old over a really blurry fax. I am staggered after thinking that Samsung probably had a meeting and saw this (whatever it is) and said, "Yes, job done. Let's put it to sale so people can buy it with real money".

• Reply 27 of 57
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    OK Samsung's version of continuity is weird. It basically projects the phone display on to the tablet and that's how you take calls, share files, etc. I much prefer something like AirDrop. Or how Apple demoed continuity.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Or "obsession with thinness."
    exactly. And yet the media is having a Samsung orgy because their devices are slightly thinner than the iPad.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    hakimehakime Posts: 42member
    Super Amoled screen = PenTile.

Well whatever.....
  • Reply 30 of 57
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member

Samsung is going to move away from Android and everyone knows it. The UI they put over Android clearly shows they are just using Android now until they decide to move to their own OS. HTC has put out far better products than Samsung yet they get killed because Samsung just runs over LG and HTC. 

Samsung has a far better UI then any other Android device. It looks like they are going to drop the "Pro" model with a 12.2 inch display. A tablet that big is just really uncomfortable and hard to manage. 

• Reply 31 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I wonder if the fingerprint reader will be complete shit like on the S5?

If course it will be. Samsung doesn't give a shit, neither do its customers apparently. Neither does the media. The important part is the bullet point, whether it works or not is irrelevant.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:

Like the wallpaper that comes with iPads?

You don't understand.

This is not the default wallpaper that the iPads come with.

There is a purpose for this wallpaper. When a Samsung Tab User decides to choose a better life and get an iPad, he has to slowly be lowered into the new world. You can't just dump him there. He'll be like a fish out of water.

In order to ease that transition, Apple has a wallpaper which acts as a familiar blanket for him...

• Reply 33 of 57
    slurpy wrote: »

If course it will be. Samsung doesn't give a shit, neither do its customers apparently. Neither does the media. The important part is the bullet point, whether it works or not is irrelevant.[/quote
    slurpy wrote: »

If course it will be. Samsung doesn't give a shit, neither do its customers apparently. Neither does the media. The important part is the bullet point, whether it works or not is irrelevant.

Ha ha.......Well said.
    Funny because it's true.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Samsung releasing more junk to go sit in people's closets? Come on, we all know that people regret after they get 1 of these things because hardware only is good on paper and the mix of there OS and android causes you to be forced to buy a Sd card, at that point Sd card useless and people use it "only when neccesary".
  • Reply 35 of 57
    mazecookiemazecookie Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I pointed out to my mother that the first gen Mini is $200 this week at Target. It's a little old, sure, but I'm sure she'll be fine with it being slower. It's not like she's using heavy games, and I imagine it has a few years left of software support. She just likes the idea of it being small and light.

I don't want to discourage you buying the first generation mini, I have one myself and it's awesome. But it terms of software support, iOS8 is likely it's last update, because it runs with that A5 chip also found in the iPad 2.

There was a dramatic speed difference with the iOS6 to iOS7 upgrade, it still performs ok, but not quite as smooth as I would of expected from a one year old device. I can only imagine iOS8 will reduce it's speed again.

But who knows. Apple is great for looking after it's older devices, like with the iPhone 4 and iOS7.

• Reply 36 of 57
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Samsung releasing more junk to go sit in people's closets? Come on, we all know that people regret after they get 1 of these things because hardware only is good on paper and the mix of there OS and android causes you to be forced to buy a Sd card, at that point Sd card useless and people use it "only when neccesary".

Honestly the SD card thing is a misdirection. an iPad or iPhone would be better served with an SDcard if it was meant to be a companion device to a photo/video camera, or operate primarily as one. It isn't. So instead you get the must-be-faster-but-soldered-to-the-PCB solid state storage. Android Tablets/Phones are having trouble deciding if they are a computer or a toy. A toy is something you play with until you lose interest. I'd love to have a SDXC card support in an iPhone/iPad, but it would likely never be used except to backup the device itself (which is mostly solved with cloud storage) or take very long videos. No mobile device is a good camera, let alone a good camcorder. None. It's not the storage though that kills it, it's the teeny-weeny-poor-light-performance-CMOS sensors they are all using instead of larger better CCD's that don't have the rolling shutter problem. Still for an all-in-one device an iPad/iPhone can take several-minute videos and it will be passable on youtube.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    atlapple wrote: »
    Samsung is going to move away from Android and everyone knows it. The UI they put over Android clearly shows they are just using Android now until they decide to move to their own OS. HTC has put out far better products than Samsung yet they get killed because Samsung just runs over LG and HTC. 

Samsung has a far better UI then any other Android device. It looks like they are going to drop the "Pro" model with a 12.2 inch display. A tablet that big is just really uncomfortable and hard to manage. 

Sounds like wishful thinking. There's too much for Samsung to lose leaving Android. They license a free OS with the only R&D being their quirky features and Touchwiz skin. They waste no time or expense courting app developers to their platform, and Google supplies the security updates and fixes. Way too much of a good thing.

As far as interfaces go it's pretty subjective. Stock Android with always be the cleanest, fastest and typically more stable.

As my opinion goes with these tablets, Samsung is clearly carpet bombing the competition, and confusing customers in the process. The specs are nice though.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    In the context of these forums, starting a paragraph with: "Honestly" is a strong smell that increases the likelihood that the rest of the paragraph contains either some dishonestly, or is entirely rhetoric that attempts to persuade.

Not always true, but a frequent tactic used in these forums.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

So after their criminally bad fingerprint sensor that got blasted in reviews for being completely useless, instead of taking the time to go back to the drawing board and re-engineer it, they just go ahead and slap it on their tablets too. This is Samsung's DNA, which shows you the level of absolute contempt they have towards their users. 

• Reply 40 of 57
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I used to hate on Android because I was an Apple fan...

Now I've gotten to know it a bit more due to work and now I hate on it because of the actual miserable pile of crap that it is. It is way worse than I even imagined it was.