Samsung debuts Galaxy Tab S with high-resolution AMOLED screen, fingerprint reader

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2014
Samsung on Thursday unveiled the Galaxy Tab S lineup, which comes in 10.5-inch and 8.4-inch flavors, boasts 2,560-by-1,600 pixel resolution Super AMOLED displays, supports fingerprint recognition and integrates Galaxy-only inter-device sharing software.

Samsung's 10.5-inch Galaxy Tab S. | Source: Sammobile

Introduced at a special press event in New York called "Tab Into Color," the Galaxy Tab S series represents Samsung's latest assault on Apple and the iPad. According to Samsung, the new hardware outshines any tablet on the market with its high-resolution display and top-shelf components.

Apparently the Korean company is so confident in the Tab S that it went so far as to put the tablet next to an iPad Air in the press demo room.

Specifications are similar to the Galaxy S5 smartphone, with an octo-core Exynos SoC, fingerprint scanner, 8-megapixel rear shooter and 2.1-megapixel front-facing camera on board. Samsung is offering both models in white and muted bronze colors.

The star of the show is the 2,560-by-1,600 pixel Super AMOLED display Samsung managed to squeeze into the slim chassis, which comes in at around 0.25 inches or 6.6 millimeters thin. The company claims the screen produces deeper blacks and more vibrant colors than the LCDs used in previous Galaxy tablets.

A fingerprint scanner is also included, though it appears the component is similar or identical to the unit used in the Galaxy S5. Also similar is a plastic rear shell, though the material choice reportedly cuts down on in-the-hand weight.

Samsung's 8.5-inch Galaxy Tab S.

On the software side, Samsung introduced a new feature called SideSync that lets users pair with and navigate their Galaxy S5 on the tablet's screen. SideSync supports file transfers, app access and even phone calls; much like the new OS X and iOS continuity features presented by Apple at WWDC. The feature requires a Galaxy S5 to work and both devices need to be on the same Wi-Fi network.

In addition, the new Papergarden service grants access to digital versions of print magazines. It is not clear what titles will be available at launch and for now the feature is limited to customers in Brazil, Korea, the UK and the U.S.

Samsung's Galaxy Tab S goes on sale in July and starts at $399 for the 8.4-inch version and $499 for the 10.5-inch model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57

Notice that they put it next to a Retina Mini, which does not have an IGZO display and suffers a bit in color accuracy. They didn't have the guts to put it next to the Air.

I had to laugh at the Engadget comments on this, one of the most popular was "Is anyone confused by all the tablets Samsung has announced?"

• Reply 2 of 57
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I see the media has a collective boner over the fact these tablets are slightly thinner and lighter than the iPads. So I guess thinner and lighter only matters when anyone not named Apple does it? Because every time Apple comes out with a thinner and lighter device the media tells us it's not innovation and is just boring, incremental updates.
  • Reply 3 of 57

The "fragmented" colour background on the screen seems appropriate

• Reply 4 of 57

And they're still not thinner than the Xperia Tablet Z2, so what's the point? I could care less about thin, it's about the feel. Every single person who I've let hold my Air is stunned when they see how light it is, and how easy it is to hold. It's the perfect size.

• Reply 5 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It doesn't really matter what the hardware is like in my opinion, because as we all know, it still runs Android, and the great majority of sensible people choose iOS, because Android is just a mess. Only a tiny minority of Android users are even on the newest OS. This is in stark contrast to iOS, where the overwhelming majority is on the latest OS, and often within a day or two after the initial release. That is just not possible with Android, and never will be. Android is truly a ghetto operating system.

And who really cares about any Samsung tablet announcements in June, when Apple is going to be releasing their new iPad line up in the not so distant future most likely? That is going to kick so much ass, and you know it too, unless you happen to be a writer for Business Insider or a deranged Fandroid.

• Reply 6 of 57
    rogifan wrote: »
    I see the media has a collective boner over the fact these tablets are slightly thinner and lighter than the iPads. So I guess thinner and lighter only matters when anyone not named Apple does it? Because every time Apple comes out with a thinner and lighter device the media tells us it's not innovation and is just boring, incremental updates.

Eh, it goes both ways.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It doesn't really matter what the hardware is like in my opinion, because as we all know, it still runs Android, and the great majority of sensible people choose iOS, because Android is just a mess. Only a tiny minority of Android users are even on the newest OS. This is in stark contrast to iOS, where the overwhelming majority is on the latest OS, and often within a day or two after the initial release. That is just not possible with Android, and never will be. Android is truly a ghetto operating system.

And who really cares about any Samsung tablet announcements in June, when Apple is going to be releasing their new iPad line up in the not so distant future most likely? That is going to kick so much ass, and you know it too, unless you happen to be a writer for Business Insider or a deranged Fandroid.

I made the mistake of getting Sony's Xperia Tablet S. Came with 4.0...I got updated to 4.1.2 and that was it, they didn't go past that. Sold that thing after eight months of ownership. Heck, it had only really been on the market for nine due to the stop sale and recall. Made a slight error in going with a Surface 2 next (though I still think MS has great ideas and tablets), but I corrected it with an Air in the end.

Parents have Galaxy Tab 2 10.1's, or whatever the mouthful is. They're on 4.2 now IIRC (it uses TI processors so they're out of luck) and every successive update has made them hate the things even more. For some reason Samsung felt the need to completely redo the UI with every update, reset all their apps, etc. Now they both use their iPhones all the time and the tablets gather dust. Trying to get them to go with iPads here soon.

• Reply 8 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Trying to get them to go with iPads here soon.

Good luck with that!

I gave my mom my old iPad 2 a couple of years ago, and she's still using it every day and likes it a lot, and she's one of the most computer illiterate people that you'll ever meet. 

• Reply 9 of 57
    The kitchen sink has found a new home.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Good luck with that!

I gave my mom my old iPad 2 a couple of years ago, and she's still using it every day and likes it a lot, and she's one of the most computer illiterate people that you'll ever meet. 

I pointed out to my mother that the first gen Mini is $200 this week at Target. It's a little old, sure, but I'm sure she'll be fine with it being slower. It's not like she's using heavy games, and I imagine it has a few years left of software support. She just likes the idea of it being small and light.

• Reply 11 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I pointed out to my mother that the first gen Mini is $200 this week at Target. It's a little old, sure, but I'm sure she'll be fine with it being slower. It's not like she's using heavy games, and I imagine it has a few years left of software support. She just likes the idea of it being small and light.

And the original Mini (non retina) will be compatible with iOS 8 when it comes out.

• Reply 12 of 57
    Why is does the 10.5 have a home button/fingerprint reader at the edge of the bezel that would be the "bottom" when viewed in landscape mode, similar to the MS Surface tablet PC? The placement of the Samsung logo and camera would indicate the landscape orientation is "natural" for the big Tab, but not on the smaller one. Why is that? Aren't they both stretched-out Android cell phones?
  • Reply 13 of 57
    The "fragmented" colour background on the screen seems appropriate
    Like the wallpaper that comes with iPads?

• Reply 14 of 57
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Let's see.. that Octacore processor has 8, what... 32-bit cores? Laughable. Android can make use of what, maybe two of those cores?  The camera may have megapixels, but probably has terrible quality, slow focus and more. We already know the terrible quality of that fingerprint scanner.

But, alas... some people will be fooled into thinking this is some how better than the iPad Air or iPad Mini with Retina, go get one and then sit it on a shelf when they find the 300 apps that are built for tablets on Android really don't change their lives.

• Reply 15 of 57
    jkichline wrote: »
    Let's see.. that Octacore processor has 8, what... 32-bit cores? Laughable. Android can make use of what, maybe two of those cores?

Their primary job is to impress your friends--the ones who are easily impressed by specs.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    rogifan wrote: »
    Like the wallpaper that comes with iPads?

No, I'm afraid they're different.

Samsung's: Chaotic, disorganized.
    Apple's: Clear, ordered, systematic.
    There's a clear difference in the successful graphic quality of the two when it comes to color choice and subtlety. Perhaps this is merely subjective, and depends on who you're talking too. Nonetheless, I'm willing to bet that most would recognize the quality that's more evident in the iPad's wallpaper.

As mentioned previously, seems appropriate.

And there's 1 for Team GadgetCanada.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnpierre View Post

There's a clear difference in the successful graphic quality of the two when it comes to color choice and subtlety. Perhaps this is merely subjective, and depends on who you're talking too. Nonetheless, I'm willing to bet that most would recognize the quality that's more evident in the iPad's wallpaper.

GOAL GOAL GOAL GOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!! Also seemed appropriate based on what's going on in Rio

• Reply 18 of 57
    johnpierre wrote: »

personally I think they're both fulgly.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Introduced at a special press event in New York called "Tab Into Color,"  ...

More like "Tub of Cheese."

• Reply 20 of 57
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/180633/samsung-debuts-galaxy-tab-s-with-high-resolution-amoled-screen-fingerprint-reader#post_2549942"]
    Good luck with that!

Lol! Me too! I am so proud of her, really. One can say it changed her life. She was always bored and never did anything. Her PC desktop was gathering dust because the load-up and Windows was always a pain for her to use, so she never did. Got her an iPad 2 a couple of Christmases ago and since then she has incorporated it into her high school classroom teachings, joined several online groups of individuals within her age group and shared interests who meet up and do cool stuff together, and from that social experience finally met the love of her life and is happy with her personal identity for once. All due in no small part to the ease of use, comfortably and portability of Apple' a iPads.