Apple Poor Performance @ WWDC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

not on the page i got

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....2.1.3.0.0.1.0

hit refresh maybe. I see it on that link.

ps - it is below the three new ones and right next to the new video card.
  • Reply 22 of 95
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    dashboard is kinda cool

so is synch

and metadata on the file system.

for developers, good stuff i guess.

for me, I can wait till 1/05

I am just happy to be on a mac in general!
  • Reply 23 of 95
    magnetic mount for isight

and the hangable option

I am a retard! I see it now!

at least tiger voice over will read it to me in the future!!

• Reply 24 of 95
    chmulchmul Posts: 6member
    from ThinkSecret:

Sorry, but this dog just won't point. Employees tell us that Apple is laughing at the rumors on this one -- spearheaded by recent analyst prognostications -- and the company is loving the hype that just makes everyone want to pay attention to WWDC even more.

Who is Apple laughing at?

Consumers that buy poor performing iMacs! Don´t get me wrong - the G4 is a great Chip, for mobiles but not for desktops anymore. And if we are true that´s the case for at least 2 to 3 years. The iMac is such a beautiful machine but it really needs:

not a redesign but a serious update.

I´m not one of this quad G5 iMac types nor headless iMac fanatics.

I would be pleased with that sh!tty 1.5 Ghz G4 a better graphics card and a huge price drop. If this doesn´t happen in the too far future the iMac will share the Cubes fate. A wonderful and great computer but priced completely outside of the mainstream.

It´s hard to say but Michael Dell is right by saying that "Apple is going to become the Bang&Olufsen of the computer industry"!

Apple please wake up and concentrate on your main business - good software needs great hardware. I´m sick of this ITMS Events - all hype and kissing steves ass.

Chmul
  • Reply 25 of 95
    I am a happy camper Mac user, I have a brand new PowerBook....All I want is to see Apple be a healthy company, which they currently are. But an iMac upgrade is needed to ensure more profits and potential market share growth. As an investor in the company, I am happy right now about Apple's current momentum but Apple needs to get new iMacs and soon iPods out the door.
  • Reply 26 of 95
    aapl down $1.35 to 32.35 still slightly under it's 52 week high of $33.83. The street wants it's 39.00 per share.

I hope that there are other announcemtnts in the near future and that this was purely for the developers.

I want apple to perform.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Wow just read most of the features for Tiger

This is really cool people. In particular the Metadata and ability of Tiger to use the appropriate search method. The ease in which you should be able to add new applications and file formats.

64 bit mem pointers. Let's be honest in 5 years it won't be that much of a deal to have 4+ GB of memory as pretty much average. I'm glad we have this now rather than waiting for it in 10.5.

Automater looks really cool. This could be a killer app for consumers if it works as easy as it looks. Repetition (when it's boring) is always good to get rid of in computing.

I also have high hopes for Core Image/Video. Looks like i'll be able to incorporate Image processing and Video processing by writing very little code compared to today. Plus having an OS level plugin architecture for Image Units sounds really cool.

Looks like Quicktime may eventually just become a traffic cop on OSX shuttling data through more modern and pervasive API.

Oh yeah Xcode 2.0 coming and the kernel has synced with BSD 5.x which offers better SMP(Quad Powermacs anyone?).

All in all WWDC 2004 definitely put the "Developer" back in WWDC. I can only imagine the buzz in some of the conferences right now. Wish I was there.
  • Reply 28 of 95
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Wow just read most of the features for Tiger

This is really cool people. In particular the Metadata and ability of Tiger to use the appropriate search method. The ease in which you should be able to add new applications and file formats.

64 bit mem pointers. Let's be honest in 5 years it won't be that much of a deal to have 4+ GB of memory as pretty much average. I'm glad we have this now rather than waiting for it in 10.5.

Automater looks really cool. This could be a killer app for consumers if it works as easy as it looks. Repetition (when it's boring) is always good to get rid of in computing.

I also have high hopes for Core Image/Video. Looks like i'll be able to incorporate Image processing and Video processing by writing very little code compared to today. Plus having an OS level plugin architecture for Image Units sounds really cool.

Looks like Quicktime may eventually just become a traffic cop on OSX shuttling data through more modern and pervasive API.

Oh yeah Xcode 2.0 coming and the kernel has synced with BSD 5.x which offers better SMP(Quad Powermacs anyone?).

All in all WWDC 2004 definitely put the "Developer" back in WWDC. I can only imagine the buzz in some of the conferences right now. Wish I was there.

agreed. some very nice additions to OS X unveiled. still hoping for a ways to go and some more "revolutionary" features.

id really like to see a new finder implementation and specifically a new application organization and launching method. the app folder seems primitive and the doc inefficient and impractical for all apps.
  • Reply 29 of 95
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Well as an end user who will actually be developing apps soon on OSX I'm excited.

If Spotlight and the new searching functions allow me to find the smallest piece of data on a Terabyte HD then that's great.

I see nothing but potential in the hands of someone creative.

Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Spotlight is gorgeous, (I like the gloss to the OS GUI, even if a ripoff of SmoothStripes).

Down the road, Spotlight will work miracles for me. I couldn't be happier if I had won the lottery.

Pardon me while I tidy up my shrine.
  • Reply 30 of 95
    Although I do agree that the WWDC was rather dull as far as Hardware I was expecting this. Looking at the latest PowerMac line up it is clear that Apple can't get a G5 into anything besides the PM and xServe with out sending prices into space and having it hover on the thurst from it's cooling fans. When the PM were released didn't Apple say they didn't find out they couldn't hit 3Ghz until about 2 weeks before which was about 4 weeks ago. That 15 min cut was probably for the 3 Ghz PowerMacs. I was hoping for something to control Airtunes but I didn't expect to see that at a developers event. Yes iMacs need to be updated but I'm thinking 1.5 Ghz G4 and a bump in graphics cards. Look at how long it took to get the G4 into the original iMac.

I'm fairly impressed with Tiger and it might be worth the 129 for the update but I'm thinking I'll wait for more info especially on some of the supposed security improvements.

Over all I would say it's not a bad WWDC but I think we have IBM to blame for it not being an great WWDC.
  • Reply 31 of 95
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Particularly good to see is the way Apple is starting to present information using logical, labeled seperators, set aside from the list of data:

http://images.apple.com/macosx/tiger...p_20040628.jpg

I really want to see similar things in the Finder itself. Little details like that go long way.

(Yes, Windows XP does similar things - and dammit I like it).
  • Reply 32 of 95
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

aapl down $1.35 to 32.35 still slightly under it's 52 week high of $33.83. The street wants it's 39.00 per share.

I hope that there are other announcemtnts in the near future and that this was purely for the developers.

I want apple to perform.

AAPL goes down after every keynote, pretty much without exception. It's just the way it is.

Plus, they've been setting new 52wk highs for quite a few weeks. Profit taking is in order.
  • Reply 33 of 95
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    This os (tiger) SPANKS anything to come out of redmond if spotlight lives up, to do a search like that on windows takes for ever and is unnesserily and obserdly difficult (just follow the damn dog...) Apple has once again made the complex ultra simple without takeing away its increadible power.

From what I read, good show.

P.S. Can I have a display to "review" on my windows unit? then again, 23 inches of Windows is just more of the same...
  • Reply 34 of 95
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

There's actually a bunch of cool things here...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/spotlight.html

(So glad spotlight isn't literal spotlights). Edit: I mean "spotlights everywhere".

Spotlight is gorgeous, (I like the gloss to the OS GUI, even if a ripoff of SmoothStripes).

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/searchtechnology.html

VoiceOver...

I dunno...it looks good to me. I want it...

Umm I do like the gloss but not the windows start menu style Apple menu, too tacky and the dashboard is hideous, who designed it, they need to get Jonathan Ive on software, dashboard is lacking taste, seriously
  • Reply 35 of 95
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Access to the 64bit pointers will require the machines to be able to support more memory. This would logically mean we can expect to see a G5 with probably 32 or 64GB memory around the time of the 10.4 release.

Dobby.
  • Reply 36 of 95
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I don't think it was bad. it is a DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE after all. And Tiger looks great.
  • Reply 37 of 95
    utsavautsava Posts: 53member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I don't think it was bad. it is a DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE after all. And Tiger looks great.

What/when is the next big Apple conference/keynote? I'm hoping its pretty soon... and better than this one.
  • Reply 38 of 95
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by utsava

What/when is the next big Apple conference/keynote? I'm hoping its pretty soon... and better than this one.

USUALY THERE ARE QUIET RELEAaes the week after a stevenote and the next bigie will be at the apple expo in Paris (the city, not the Hilton ) But steve has a way of putting together huge media events with a few days notice, so ya never know.
  • Reply 39 of 95
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The next Apple-centric expo is the Apple Expo, Aug 31 - Sep 4 in Paris.

Bear in mind, however, that Apple has moved away from announcing things in expos. If they want to release something with a splash, they can announce an Apple Event in Cupertino, give the press a week's notice, and expect a packed house and saturation-level coverage.
  • Reply 40 of 95
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Access to the 64bit pointers will require the machines to be able to support more memory. This would logically mean we can expect to see a G5 with probably 32 or 64GB memory around the time of the 10.4 release.

Dobby.

Today's Powermacs support up to 16GB if you can find 2GB dimms. As always density will go up when manufacturers can supply those who need it.

It's strange to me that people find this keynote to be boring. I think Apple has it's ducks in order here. They have given devs a preview to take home as well as time to "wrap" their heads around the new technologies. Trust me some cool stuff will be coming from these new Tiger technologies. Waiting is never exciting but we all want stuff that works right?