iPhone 3G rocks Japanese smartphone market

Comments

• Reply 61 of 125
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

edit: The only reason I see to have separate RAM for the firmware is if theincuded 16GB is not built-in, but resides in a microSD card.

I doubt it. RAM is needed to actually run software. It's a different kind of storage. I think iPhone has 1GB of RAM, and that's not included in the 8GB and 16GB figure.
  • Reply 62 of 125
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I doubt it. RAM is needed to actually run software. It's a different kind of storage. I think iPhone has 1GB of RAM, and that's not included in the 8GB and 16GB figure.

The link above states that it has 128MB of RAM. It could be a 256MB partition of the 16GB Flash for the system to run which the author misinterpreted from the FCC data.

The iPhone also has 128MB of RAM but the raw parts are labelled by bits and so we often see 1024Mb of RAM for the iPhone. That would be nice!
  • Reply 63 of 125
    Quote:

The link above states that it has 128MB of RAM. It could be a 256MB partition of the 16GB Flash for the system to run which the author misinterpreted from the FCC data.

The iPhone also has 128MB of RAM but the raw parts are labelled by bits and so we often see 1024Mb of RAM for the iPhone. That would be nice!

I have the same situation in my N82. I have an 8 gig SDHC card inside for storage, i.e. music, pictures, I can install and run apps from the SDHC card, files, data, etc.... The 128 is system ram that is needed for the OS and other things native to the phone. It is dynamic so it shrinks and grows as demands are placed on it.
  • Reply 64 of 125
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I have the same situation in my N82. I have an 8 gig SDHC card inside for storage, i.e. music, pictures, I can install and run apps from the SDHC card, files, data, etc.... The 128 is system ram that is needed for the OS and other things native to the phone. It is dynamic so it shrinks and grows as demands are placed on it.

From what I recall, Nokia made a dumb move with the N95. The first one had a SD slot for storage. The 8GB version just added the storage but got rid of the SD slot. Why not just add an 8GB card and sell the N95 with a card that can be removable? After all, not having a removable memory card is one of the popular complaints of the iPhone. At least they rectified this with the N96.
  • Reply 65 of 125
    Quote:

From what I recall, Nokia made a dumb move with the N95. The first one had a SD slot for storage. The 8GB version just added the storage but got rid of the SD slot. Why not just add an 8GB card and sell the N95 with a card that can be removable? After all, not having a removable memory card is one of the popular complaints of the iPhone. At least they rectified this with the N96.

True. Nokia screwed the pooch with the N95 debacle. However, they did fix long before the N96. The E90, E51, N81, N82, all came before the N96 had Micro-SD slots. It will be interesting to see what Nokia comes up with during the next few months. My friends there say that they got some hot stuff on the stove. Not to mention that making telephones (after initially making toilet paper and rubber boots, and almost being sold to L.M. Ericsson) is what they do best. I am still of the opinion that Apple should have hired some Nokia guys to help wtih the iPhone.
  • Reply 66 of 125
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride View Post

This article wouldn't fool anyone who lives in Japan.

It's therefore hilarious to me that most all of you posting in this thread do not live here in Japan!

SoftBank has Brad Pitt on TV selling their phones and wireless service. I think Apple considered them one of the more trendy carriers here (which I would agree with), and that combined with the fact SoftBank was willing to hand over a considerable percentage of monthly subscription fees was what finalized the deal. However, AU has the most stable network over here, and most of my associates who want the iPhone badly don't quite want it badly enough to change their personal phones to SoftBank. This holds true for people who are already using SoftBank for their office phones. Drop-outs are common with SoftBank, but not so with AU. However, AU is more than double the price on its low end plans than SoftBank, so SoftBank is popular with people like me who are frugal-minded. Ironically though, the frugal-minded consumer is not about to snatch ditch their ¥980/month White Plan for the whopping ¥7,000/month iPhone plan. I myself couldn't care less how dazzling the iPhone is. Am I going to pay ¥1,000 MORE per month than I pay for my home 100Mb/sec fiber optic internet connection? I think not! And I speak as a Mac lover since 1984 here.

As this article states, there are other issues. I think the lack of bar code functionality will be a bigger loss than the stupid emoticons among "adults" (people like myself who are 30 and older). Bar codes are everywhere. I've even see them on TV ads! The Japanese consumer will be forgiving about these little things on this version. But if Apple continues to offer the same "basic" functionality that other phones here have had for years, then subsequent revisions of the iPhone may not sell so well. So while I will agree with this article for sales to date, I remain a bit skeptical to see if Apple can make the iPhone more Japanese. Americans have traditionally failed to do this when selling to Japan, and they've lost a lot of money as a result. I hope Apple can prove itself different in that regard.
  • Reply 67 of 125
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I would thing you could make a barcode reader as an app. I guess it depends on if the SDK gives camera access.
  • Reply 68 of 125
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    This article is complete BS!!!!!!!!!!

PROPOGANJA

As I said in another thread. I'm with a girl who WORKS at Softbank. Not pawning phones on the street. In sales and marketing. Softbank is one of the few Japanese companies where "girl culture" is fun and strong. They also pay for day care or they can bring kids to work. They love it there.

Anyway, the phone [in Japan] sucks. The speed of Japanese input is moderate at best. And let's not get started with reception. People have been switching to KDDi/AU because their reception is THE BEST of all carriers in Japan. Take your iPhone down into the subway and you'll see what I mean.

Ok now let's talk about the campaigns with Brad Pitt. THIS IS NOT NEW!!!! Softbank has been using him and Diaz for ages! Only difference is now they're holding a "useless in Japan iPhone".

Softbank got in knee deep in shit when it was found out that they paid Diaz millions for a couple of commercials. Their customers were pretty pissed.

About 300 Japanese friends, associates etc are in my address book. They ALL are using docomo and AU.

I like the quote from FireEmblemPride above.
    Quote:

This article wouldn't fool anyone who lives in Japan.

Lastly billion dollar corps are not separate entities. They are ALL brothers and sisters in the big picture. There are only a few pulling the strings and in control. No matter what country the corp is from. These people will do and say anything to make their product or bottom line look good.

Fact is the only people who have real proof are the people that live here. Not some article. Since launch I have yet to see ONE person using an iPhone. I shit you not. Why would I bother with telling a tall tale. I travel between Japan's two biggest cities regularly.

I do see many older iPod nanos though.
  • Reply 69 of 125
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

There is a concept called saving, that is why the person had the 2000 in the first place, and why Apple sells a number of different mobile Macs, and why there are a number of different styles of cellphones. Just because the person has the money, doesn't mean they will spend it all.

As Solipsism has said, then they aren't in the market for a $2,000 computer in the first place.

You're making specious arguments that contradict your own statements.
  • Reply 70 of 125
    Quote:

No it doesn't. Two airlines compete, they are in the same market, like two mobile phones compete as they are in the same market

It has little to do with different airlines and more to do with the service each offers in its own line.

For example:

People who fly first class do so for two reasons. The first is that they can afford it, and the second is that they think the money is well spent. They are not likely to fly tourist.

People rarely look at widely differently priced disparate products or services and choose between them. They look at comparable products and services and choose between them.

People going to a luxury hotel are not likely to consider a cheap hotel, and visa versa.

The same thing it true of computers, and yes, even phones and services.
  • Reply 71 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

This article is complete BS!!!!!!!!!!

PROPOGANJA

As I said in another thread. I'm with a girl who WORKS at Softbank. Not pawning phones on the street. In sales and marketing. Softbank is one of the few Japanese companies where "girl culture" is fun and strong. They also pay for day care or they can bring kids to work. They love it there.

Anyway, the phone [in Japan] sucks. The speed of Japanese input is moderate at best. And let's not get started with reception. People have been switching to KDDi/AU because their reception is THE BEST of all carriers in Japan. Take your iPhone down into the subway and you'll see what I mean.

Ok now let's talk about the campaigns with Brad Pitt. THIS IS NOT NEW!!!! Softbank has been using him and Diaz for ages! Only difference is now they're holding a "useless in Japan iPhone".

Softbank got in knee deep in shit when it was found out that they paid Diaz millions for a couple of commercials. Their customers were pretty pissed.

About 300 Japanese friends, associates etc are in my address book. They ALL are using docomo and AU.

I like the quote from FireEmblemPride above.

Lastly billion dollar corps are not separate entities. They are ALL brothers and sisters in the big picture. There are only a few pulling the strings and in control. No matter what country the corp is from. These people will do and say anything to make their product or bottom line look good.

Fact is the only people who have real proof are the people that live here. Not some article. Since launch I have yet to see ONE person using an iPhone. I shit you not. Why would I bother with telling a tall tale. I travel between Japan's two biggest cities regularly.

I do see many older iPod nanos though.

Well, we don't know if you are telling a tall tale or not. You brought that up about yourself. As there are about 130 million Japanese, and the phone is still new there, I wouldn't expect you to have seen one yet.
  • Reply 72 of 125
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, we don't know if you are telling a tall tale or not.

His tale is certainly a bit different than mine (especially in terms of the colorful metaphors used). But it would appear we are in different age groups, associating with different people, and most likely, living in very different parts of the country (I do NOT live in Tokyo or Osaka).

Out of those 130 million people here in Japan, only about 1.2% are foreign (myself included, being a US Citizen). Therefore, the foreign population here cannot expect to make broad claims concerning "everything that goes on here." However, if you live here and if you tend to congregate with Japanese people (not just your English speaking countrymen), you have a more accurate picture of Japan than "foreign media." I personally can say that this is especially true when it comes to Wall Street Journal articles on the economy (the WSJ exists mainly as a PR bird for the Japanese government about how great things are or how the economy is turning around, when in fact it is not).

But again, like I said in my previous post in this thread, from what MY eyes see here in central Japan, this article is not way off base in terms of "opening sales." The iPhone is still new here. Can we therefore expect everyone in Japan to have one in their hands as many do with the iPod, which has been sold here for a very long time? Certainly not! So I am by no means surprised to see a lack of an iPod in the hands of most people I stroll by in stores or on the street. It's the long term sales strategy of Apple that matters. And as an AAPL shareholder, that matters to me indeed.

To sell in the "long term" here in Japan, you must accommodate the Japanese to some extent, especially when it comes to language and culture. So I would consider bar code reading, emoticons and improved Japanese input at the top of the list for what needs to be added down the road because ALL other phones have those features here. And if SoftBank does not improve it's network, then some technically inclined Japanese consumers, just like many in the US now, may be hoping to unlock the phone. But Japanese aren't as DIY as Americans, so they could just forgo unlocking and turn their backs on the iPhone. I personally think SoftBank is "hip" and it's White Plan is very economically priced, but drop-outs piss of many Japanese. Just because I am willing to live with drop-outs in order to get a ¥980/mo price doesn't mean most Japanese will. In fact, a large number of my friends told me they use AU for that very reason (but some of those same friends also told me they want the iPhone).

Keep your eyes on the long term sales in Japan. Nothing else matters.
  • Reply 73 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDW View Post

His tale is certainly a bit different than mine (especially in terms of the colorful metaphors used). But it would appear we are in different age groups, associating with different people, and most likely, living in very different parts of the country (I do NOT live in Tokyo or Osaka).

Out of those 130 million people here in Japan, only about 1.2% are foreign (myself included, being a US Citizen). Therefore, the foreign population here cannot expect to make broad claims concerning "everything that goes on here." However, if you live here and if you tend to congregate with Japanese people (not just your English speaking countrymen), you have a more accurate picture of Japan than "foreign media." I personally can say that this is especially true when it comes to Wall Street Journal articles on the economy (the WSJ exists mainly as a PR bird for the Japanese government about how great things are or how the economy is turning around, when in fact it is not).

But again, like I said in my previous post in this thread, from what MY eyes see here in central Japan, this article is not way off base in terms of "opening sales." The iPhone is still new here. Can we therefore expect everyone in Japan to have one in their hands as many do with the iPod, which has been sold here for a very long time? Certainly not! So I am by no means surprised to see a lack of an iPod in the hands of most people I stroll by in stores or on the street. It's the long term sales strategy of Apple that matters. And as an AAPL shareholder, that matters to me indeed.

To sell in the "long term" here in Japan, you must accommodate the Japanese to some extent, especially when it comes to language and culture. So I would consider bar code reading, emoticons and improved Japanese input at the top of the list for what needs to be added down the road because ALL other phones have those features here. And if SoftBank does not improve it's network, then some technically inclined Japanese consumers, just like many in the US now, may be hoping to unlock the phone. But Japanese aren't as DIY as Americans, so they could just forgo unlocking and turn their backs on the iPhone. I personally think SoftBank is "hip" and it's White Plan is very economically priced, but drop-outs piss of many Japanese. Just because I am willing to live with drop-outs in order to get a ¥980/mo price doesn't mean most Japanese will. In fact, a large number of my friends told me they use AU for that very reason (but some of those same friends also told me they want the iPhone).

Keep your eyes on the long term sales in Japan. Nothing else matters.

That sounds reasonable.
  • Reply 74 of 125
    Okay, I'm in.

The wife finally upgraded to the latest 2.0.1 and the results were very impressive. Input of Japanese characters has improved dramatically, to the point where she now thinks that the phone is very usable. Mail also doesn't crash as frequently for her, and she doesn't lose data if she turns off the phone and then tries to return to a mail message.

Stopped by a coffee shop today and whipped out my iPhone to get some work done. The people at the table next to me couldn't stop looking at the phone, and they rolled whispering, "iPhone, iPhone". The waitress also said it was the third phone she had seen this week; today's Wednesday. The scenario has played out many times for me over the past several weeks, so in my impression, a great many people are very aware of the iPhone, and many are very interested in it. Whether this means they will buy it or not is another story. However, it is having an impact on popular conceptions of what a portable device truly is.

Nobody that I have met over the past few weeks has mentioned the lack of video recording, bar code reading, or cash card use, which, to be honest, did surprise me a little. Their primary focus is on the device's ability to view the Internet and email attachments with ease as well as to buy additional applications.

Yesterday, I saw two people using iPhones, and I don't live anywhere near a big city. So, I believe that the iPhone is a trend setter of sorts and will have a tremendous impact on the future of phones here in Japan.

But then, what the heck do I know.
  • Reply 75 of 125
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I would thing you could make a barcode reader as an app. I guess it depends on if the SDK gives camera access.

Nokia phones have had this for about 2 years or more now.
  • Reply 76 of 125
    mwickmwick Posts: 3member
    Quote:

No, I understand it perfectly. If I am purchasing a new phone, I choose what features I want, then purhase a model that will support that. ie Do I get phone that just supports MMS/SMS/Voice, or do I get something more, like installable applications etc.

I would purchase one of them, not both, so that makes the devices in competition to each other.

The same concept with a ?2000 Mac, it is in competition with a ?500 Dell, they might not be in the same category as each other, but they are still in competiion with each other.

So, you are basically saying that all types of cars compete with each other as well. Or all types of cameras, etc. That is ridiculous.
  • Reply 77 of 125
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDW View Post

His tale is certainly a bit different than mine (especially in terms of the colorful metaphors used). But it would appear we are in different age groups, associating with different people, and most likely, living in very different parts of the country (I do NOT live in Tokyo or Osaka).........

Great post JDW. Like you I am currenly living in a foreign country where the iPhone was launched, and like you I see no iPhones (3G iPhones that is. I see the older 1st Gen models that are probably jailbroken and unlocked) on the street. Maybe one or two but not in large quantities. One reason is the fact that Sonera screwed up with the pricing models. The second is that Finns do not like to be locked into contracts for phones. They are used to paying retail prices for phones so this is not an issue, but the fact that the phone is locked. Sonera is virtually calling people now to ask them if they want an iPhone.
  • Reply 78 of 125
    Quote:

You are taking it a bit far, but when you have two products where the base features are the same (ie a basic phone, and a smart phone) where you can choose one or the other, then they are in competition with each other.

It is a simple concept to understand.

http://www.fireflymobile.com/

Let's be real.

A smart phone and a dumb phone are not in competition with each other.

I can by 500 pounds of ice cream, or I can buy an iPhone.

So by YOUR logic, I can choose between the two.

Because I can CHOOSE between the two, you think that makes them "in competition".

So what you're saying is the iPhone is in competition with ice cream.

(maybe that's why they make a choc. and vanilla version of the iPhone?)

The iPhone competes with real smart phones.

If YOU think it should try to compete with dumb phones, ice cream, or vacations in the islands, then you and Apple are going to disagree.

The people that want the iPhone changed so that more people that are not interested in a smart phone will buy it instead of a dumb phone need to stop it.

You can't prop up an arguement going down that line.

Dumbphones are nearly meaningless, wait another year and Blackberries will be free.

Most dumb phones are already free, and even that won't help.

Compete? With a dumb phone? Not a real arguement.
  • Reply 79 of 125
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Let's be real.

A smart phone and a dumb phone are not in competition with each other.

I can by 500 pounds of ice cream, or I can buy an iPhone.

So by YOUR logic, I can choose between the two.

No, that would be your logic. They are not even a similar products.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Most dumb phones are already free, and even that won't help.

Compete? With a dumb phone? Not a real arguement.

Can you provide a list of the "most dumb phones are already free"? I can't find any (unsubsidised phones).

If you cannot understand where there are two products of a given product type (and the category of mobile phones are one such item) are competing against each other for your money, then maybe you should talk to a marketing person so they can explain it to you.
  • Reply 80 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Nokia phones have had this for about 2 years or more now.

There are apps on the way for this, but it doesn't seem to be a deal stopper for many Japanese. Attended a dinner party tonight with 30-odd tech-savvy people. Only one had ever used the QR code reader. Even he said he could go without if the device had a decent good browser, which the iPhone has.