Apple unveils new multi-touch $69 Bluetooth Magic Mouse

Comments

• Reply 41 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Also, there appears to be no wired version.

I never joined the wireless craze and I really hope it's coming in the next few weeks. But I will give this thing a crack if it isn't gonna happen.
  • Reply 42 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Two finger zoom (for text on a website for instance) might be nice. Pretty cool though... combining multi-touch with a mouse. I love multi-touch on my MacBook Pro trackpad... but trackpads suck for mousing around... and are useless for something like Photoshop work. Could be the best of both worlds. Very interested to try it. I just wish it wasn't so thin. I'm skeptical as to how it will feel in the hand.

I doubt the limitations are hardware based so who knows, we may see lots more features come with software updates.
  • Reply 43 of 134
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I like the fact it has sides and that they removed the stupid side-button (two buttons that acted as one and nearly made your hand spasm trying to press it). The surface will be so much better than the little ball.

I suppose you're going to have to do alt-left-click for middle-click now though. Also, it still has 2xAA batteries. That is too heavy for a mouse. It should be 1xAA or 2xAAA. It remains to be seen if their laser will match Logitech's or Microsoft's latest offerings but finally better than the optical one.

I'm so happy to see the end of the Shighty Mouse but I don't think I'd get one. I'll decide after I try it though. I like having 4-buttons and I prefer the lower weight of having fewer batteries. It's also a bit much at $70. Plus the name is really dumb, I don't want to have to walk into an Apple Store and tell them my Magic Mouse is broken - I suppose that could help lower their return rate.
  • Reply 44 of 134
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I can't stand the look of my current Mighty Mouse!!
  • Reply 45 of 134
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naconazov View Post

can somebody explain how to start exposé with this new mouse?

F12 for you...
  • Reply 46 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd be willing to bet Magic Mouse will also take gesture input, so you could conceivably draw a "Z" on the mouse and go instantly into Spaces if you want.

That's somewhat a relief but a click was so much faster. I'm not quite sure how fast my middle finger will be able draw a Z.

Also... I used mouse button 4 to activate spaces. Button 4 worked while dragging/holding items.

Would that work with this new mouse? Drag a picture from my finder window in Space 1, activate spaces by drawing a z, all this.. while my index finger still is pressed to hold the picture, then hover over the space I'd like, and eventually place the picture where I'd like? ex. Mail? iTunes? iWeb?

I'm trying to be as optimistic about this mouse as possible, but I'm not sold that it will be very productive. Yeah, it will be cool in Safari.. but what about real multitasking?
  • Reply 47 of 134
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I might actually go for this one, but gotta test it at an Apple store first.
  • Reply 48 of 134
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

No, but I definitely thought, "why didn't they name it iMouse?"

Magic Mouse? Really? \

Sinisterly cool design though, good job Apple!

It may be a cool design but until I get to see one in person, I'll hold off judgement.

We all know Apple goes for the aesthetic, artsy, fartsy feel... Any one remember the Hockey Puck mouse! It was color coordinated with the iMac and made a fashion statement, but was absolutely horrid to use in ones hand, unless you are wearing a 'Goalies Glove' I guess!

Now this, is it arched enough for the general population's palm to "cup" over the mouse since it still remains your basic point and click mouse?

Or will this magic mouse just be a mickey mouse design fopaux on Apples part again?

Like I said, I'll have to see one in person to answer that question...

And still no BTO matte screen iMacs!
  • Reply 49 of 134
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Oh Magic Mouse-

Tell me - when will I get my beautiful one coloured front, matte screened, Blu-ray iMac?

When? When?
  • Reply 50 of 134
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    I'll go for a trackball mouse instead.
  • Reply 51 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

No, but I definitely thought, "why didn't they name it iMouse?"

Magic Mouse? Really? \

Because Steve owns the Magic Kingdom (Disney) now.
  • Reply 52 of 134
    i love apple and everything, but, why not support the three and four finger gestures as well?

my macbook pro trackpad is still cooler than the magic mouse until they add those gestures...
  • Reply 53 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

It may be a cool design but until I get to see one in person, I'll hold off judgement.

We all know Apple goes for the aesthetic, artsy, fartsy feel... Any one remember the Hockey Puck mouse! It was color coordinated with the iMac and made a fashion statement, but was absolutely horrid to use in ones hand, unless you are wearing a 'Goalies Glove' I guess!

Now this, is it arched enough for the general population's palm to "cup" over the mouse since it still remains your basic point and click mouse?

Or will this magic mouse just be a mickey mouse design fopaux on Apples part again?

Like I said, I'll have to see one in person to answer that question...

And still no BTO matte screen iMacs!

I am sure it will feel weird at first but I will go for whatever replaces that annoying Mighty Mouse scroll ball.
  • Reply 54 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

i love apple and everything, but, why not support the three and four finger gestures as well?

my macbook pro trackpad is still cooler than the magic mouse until they add those gestures...

I'd hold off on making too many assumptions until trying one out for yourself, but it looks like a stellar piece of equipment to me.
  • Reply 55 of 134
    I simply refuse to call anything that I own computer related with an descriptor as inept as "MAGIC".

That sounds so retarded. Are they really serious? That name sounds like it belongs in Steve's barfbag of hurt.
  • Reply 56 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

Agreed. What I really want is a Bluetooth keyboard+trackpad so I can control my media center Mini with a single piece sitting on my lap.

Wacom, sir. Google it.
  • Reply 57 of 134
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Told you the Mighty Mouse sucks.

This wasn't quite the design you posted, but it still looks great, plus no more wheel!!!
  • Reply 58 of 134
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I simply refuse to call anything that I own computer related with an descriptor as inept as "MAGIC".

Not even a MagicJack?
  • Reply 59 of 134
    Just noticed something. Did they remove the side buttons?!
  • Reply 60 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd hold off on making too many assumptions until trying one out for yourself, but it looks like a stellar piece of equipment to me.

i absolutely agree with you, it looks stellar

i still need three and four finger gestures, i use them all the time...