Apple unveils new multi-touch $69 Bluetooth Magic Mouse

Comments

• Reply 101 of 134
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i got so fed up with my mighty mouse that i literally destroyed it. very satisfying. when i started up on a more normal mouse, it was incredibly satisfying. like going back to os x or even windows after using linux for a few months. re mighty mouse, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if a ball on the bottom of a mouse doesn't work, an unserviceable ball on the top isn't going to be any better. the chances of me buying another apple mouse again are.......................zero. sorry apple.
  • Reply 102 of 134
    Once someones gets a look at one, could you please post here and let us know if it's possible to configure a 3rd button click in the System Preferences menu?

This is a deal-breaker for anyone working in SketchUp (and I'm sure many other programs), and I'm sure plenty of people would appreciate having this info on the forum. Thanks.
  • Reply 103 of 134
    anyaanya Posts: 14member
    Wow. It looks sleek, and probably a good upgrade from the Mighty Mouse.

...but Magic Mouse? (I almost wrote Mickey Mouse) A bit cheesy. And I am doubting about the ergonomics of this one. But I've never had it in my hand, so I'm only guessing.
  • Reply 104 of 134
    I'm so glad that they made this, but is there a middle mouse button? We need that! Same with the side exposé buttons, does it have that? Can it work with Windows?

And most importantly to me... Can you click the right mouse button WHILE you hole the left mouse button? (and vice versa).

If it's not compatible with Windows or it can't click both buttons at once, then count me out!
  • Reply 105 of 134
    Apple continues to ignore the professionals.

3 BUTTONS!! Ever use 3D software? THREE BUTTONS!!!

I was really looking forward to this mouse. But i'm stuck with the mighty...

I do understand, they're a consumer electronics company now and I shouldn't expect professional hardware from them anymore. They're quite successful at what they do, I just need to find the high end gear that I make a living using somewhere else now.
  • Reply 106 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I do understand, they're a consumer electronics company now and I shouldn't expect professional hardware from them anymore. They're quite successful at what they do, I just need to find the high end gear that I make a living using somewhere else now.

Buy your own 3 button mouse and plug it in. No one's stopping you.
  • Reply 107 of 134
    I wonder if Magic Mouse work with Windows. What if it is used with BootCamp?
  • Reply 108 of 134
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xgman View Post

There has got to be a way to enable expose on this without touching the keyboard. Otherwise I really don't see how this mouse could replace any other one.

This is such a dumb-ass comment on at least two or three different levels. I was going to write a whole "thing" about it but I'll just let you think about it and figure it out yourself.

hint: a more accurate statement would be "It's not for me."
  • Reply 109 of 134
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xgman View Post

There has got to be a way to enable expose on this without touching the keyboard. Otherwise I really don't see how this mouse could replace any other one.

I would think you could do it like you do it with any mouse. Throw the cursor into one or more active screen corners you set up in System Preferences.
  • Reply 110 of 134
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What is the fetish with not offering a wired product?

This idea that everyone wants to buy crappy batteries to keep feeding the cost of a wireless product when you are just putting it on a damn desk is a waste of "innovation."

People always say this but it really hasn't been the case for a while. Especially not with Apple's wireless gear.

While the original (white plastic) Apple wireless keyboard sucked batteries to the tune of four AA's every 2 - 4 weeks, the new keyboard get's at least a few months out of the same batteries.

I change the batteries in mine about every four months on average. Apple's wireless keyboard is bar none the best keyboard I've ever used in my life and I've been using computers since Vic 20 days.
  • Reply 111 of 134
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

Re: What's needed is a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad...

I don't want a great big ugly graphics pad that I have to use a pen with.

Try this Wacom product. It's not huge and you don't need a pen to use it. http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_touch.php

Not sure how well it works, but Amazon has it for $59 I think. Might be worth a try. Personally, I wish Apple would just make a desktop version of the unibody MBP track pad in a nice aluminum housing. Give it a short USB cable to connect to a wired keyboard or make it bluetooth. Either way, that would be cool. Next closest thing right now is the Bamboo. Not gonna work for the Mac Mini media center people, but it would be a nice alternative to the mouse for a desktop application.
  • Reply 112 of 134
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    I am going to masturbate to the magic mouse.
  • Reply 113 of 134
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

There are tens of third party mouses and I doubt that any professional will settle for the mouse that comes with their computers. I remember few years ago when I used AutoCAD on daily basis I went a head and paid more than $100 for top of the line trackball mouse.
  • Reply 114 of 134
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

And how do you get the middle mouse button click with this?

And I hope you don't have to lift your finger off the surface of the mouse then touch it again to make it work, mighty mouse style.

Doesn't Logitech have a few of those..?
  • Reply 115 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd be willing to bet Magic Mouse will also take gesture input, so you could conceivably draw a "Z" on the mouse and go instantly into Spaces if you want. This is a major, MAJOR slap at Microsoft since they just "demoed" their multi-touch mice weeks ago. The hits keep rolling at Apple!

exactly where's that ms junk vapourware that engadget aka crappy ms gadgets was showcasing?

this looks like an incredible innovative product from apple.

not that we expected anything less.

great stuff.
  • Reply 116 of 134
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

Re: What's needed is a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad...

I don't want a great big ugly graphics pad that I have to use a pen with.

The closest thing might be the Logitech MediaBoard Pro, but it would look a lot better in silver rather than black, and it's not obvious whether it's 100% compatible with Mac OS X.

The demand is clearly there. Googling for "bluetooth keyboard and trackpad" shows a lot of people who have have Mac Mini media centers and are asking for exactly the same thing, just not many solutions...

the diNovo Edge is what you want, stellar piece of equipment, love it, rather pricey though
  • Reply 117 of 134
    Woot woot apple have made a new "revolutionary" product
  • Reply 118 of 134
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buceta View Post

I am going to masturbate to the magic mouse.

Or buff your bunions.
  • Reply 119 of 134
    they should have called it the iMighty mouse!!!
  • Reply 120 of 134
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is such a dumb-ass comment on at least two or three different levels. I was going to write a whole "thing" about it but I'll just let you think about it and figure it out yourself.

hint: a more accurate statement would be "It's not for me."

Alright, I thought about it. . . . My conclusion is, that in fact, you yourself are the "dumb ass".