Google issues custom unlocked phones ahead of rumored Jan. launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah. The iPhone is insignificant. Just another smart phone. Didn't shake up the industry at all.

You actually don't know anything about technology outside of your contempt for Apple, do you? Jesus, and you want to lecture people about "credibility"? You're a joke.

I agree in the scope of things the iPhone is just a phone. Didn't cure cancer the last time I checked. If you put any more value on a cellphone you are the joke not me.
  • Reply 42 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Might as well shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.

Might as well sell before the stock goes back to 78.00 a share. Wasn't that long ago in fact this year.
  • Reply 43 of 344
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

The same ones the iPhone brought us a year earlier, but without the great OS and robust App Store.

Mmm, where I can activate 3rd party apps multitasking and local notifications? I didn't know that last year iPhone OS 2.x released it. Damm, a year with my 3G and without notifications and couldn't use Spotify in the background because I didn't know I could configure it.

[sarcasm off]
  • Reply 44 of 344
    Quote:

The same ones the iPhone brought us a year earlier, but without the great OS and robust App Store.

10,000 apps is pretty robust. In fact just means there are about 80,000 less junk apps.
  • Reply 45 of 344
    Quote:

Just another smart phone. Didn't shake up the industry at all.

But this applies more to USA than to Europe, USA mobile industry were, and is, a lot different
  • Reply 46 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

10,000 apps is pretty robust. In fact just means there are about 80,000 less junk apps.

25.000 moreles and a lot of crap like in Apple's App Store
  • Reply 47 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

25.000 moreles and a lot of crap like in Apple's App Store

Like most people I use about 10-20 apps. Everything else to me is useless.
  • Reply 48 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

So OLED seems to be the rage, but reviews of the Zune HD state that it is awful out in the sun. You need to be in low lit rooms to really appreciate the technology. Is there any hope for OLED screens in holding up better in light similar to LCDs?

You cannot be any more wrong in your post. Most displays are horrible out in the direct sun. The iPhone and iPod displays are no exception. A display that is brighter than direct sunlight isn't something you'd want to look directly at anyway.

The Zune HD absolutely does not need a dark room to view. I have one and it's screen is magnificent in normal lighting. The OLED screen produces colors that are much more vibrant than other LED displays I can compared it to (my roommates' iPhones, for one). Pictures and video just look much better. In all light conditions. Except direct sunlight, where everything was washed out.

I feel like you got your information from that article that was released at AI attacking the Zune HD before it was released.
  • Reply 49 of 344
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    I've been using a G1 for some time, primarily because I have a cheap data/voice plan through TMobile.

The voice recognition app is miserable, it takes about 10 seconds to fire up, and immediately says "input not recognized"

I also love the comments on the phone stating it'll work on ATT & TMobile's 3G networks, yeah, I have to see that. Kudos if they have done it, but we'd know if someone had a chipset that covered ALL the frequencies for GSM.

The only network that encourages the use of an unsubsidized phone is TMobile, with slightly reduced rates for a non subsidized phone contract or a non contract line of service.

While I applaud Google attempting to make the wireless carriers dumb pipes, it's going to be very difficult to make their idea work. Verizon/ATT/Sprint are going to go with a non subsidized/captive model shortly after hell freezes over.
  • Reply 50 of 344
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I'm not seeing where any of this adds up to "Google phones", which is a term the article simply applies without credible reason.

What Google has actually said is that they're handing out HTC handsets to use as a testbed for new software features. That's it. Somehow we go from there to turning these HTC handsets into the fabled "Google phone", despite there being no evidence of that. At all.

I'm sure the HTC handsets are the latest and greatest, but things like OLED screens and Snapdragon processors aren't the result of Google magic, and there was no reason not to expect HTC to do anything but offer such hardware at some point.

Excellent post.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Early builds of HTC Android 2.1 ROM's for the Hero has been leaked, so your point makes more sense

I was reading about that and thinking back to this thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have been reading about the Pixel Qi displays. They appear to have several advantages over OLED.

1) lower cost

2) lower power

3) both ePaper, and color video

4) can be used in bright sunlight as well as controlled light (outside and inside)

5) uses existing technologies rather developing/implementing new "molecules" from the ground up and new manufacturing lines to produce them

6) can be built with existing LCD manufacturing infrastructure-- further reducing costs and creating very small manufacturing ramp-up time (months instead of years).

Is anything currently using them now? Apple is often first to use a tech, just first to go all in and make it the new standard. Do you think this is viable for the iDevices being released starting next summer? What about for the mythical tablet since you mention ePaper? What are the drawback?
  • Reply 51 of 344
    Quote:

I agree in the scope of things the iPhone is just a phone. Didn't cure cancer the last time I checked. If you put any more value on a cellphone you are the joke not me.

Taking a discussions about phones you are part of and then saying it doesn?t cure cancer has got to be a variance of Godwin?s Law. If you really think that discussing tech and having a well thought position as to why one brand is better than another is so lowly then why are you even here engaging in the discussion and not trying to cure cancer.
  • Reply 52 of 344
    Quote:

No, all it did was set the standard in web browsing, integration and ease of use for the laymen.

You know how imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? As in the Google Phone, the Windows phone, Nokia's "attempts" at trying to make an interface that doesn't need a stylus (that N900 doesn't have a capacitive screen - FAIL).
  • Reply 53 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Excellent post.

I was reading about that and thinking back to this thread.

Is anything currently using them now? Apple is often first to use a tech, just first to go all in and make it the new standard. Do you think this is viable for the iDevices being released starting next summer? What about for the mythical tablet since you mention ePaper? What are the drawback?

Go to YouTube and search Pixel Qi

There are quite a few videos. There are demos, discussions about manufacturing, costs and side-by-side comparisons with Kindle and a $2,000 laptop.

Some points covered:

-- their screen concept is based on what was used in the OLPC

-- they bought a bunch of Acer laptops and drop-in replaced the Acer LCD screen with their 1st batch of screens of a test run production line

-- they claim they can ramp up to volume production in 6 months (OLED technology has been around for 20 years and requires special new production facilities)

-- they plan to support DYI drop-in replacement of existing LCDs

-- they suggest that the cost of a netbook class computer will be $200 for the whole computer including their display

• Reply 54 of 344
    Quote:

I agree in the scope of things the iPhone is just a phone.

In terms of the totality of Life, yes LOL. but in terms of tech and the way we use tech to enhacne our lives, hardly.

The iPhone is much more than "just a phone." The Nokia 1200 is also "just a phone" but is as far from the iPhone as a hawk from the moon. This "just a phone" singlehandedly destroyed all of Microsoft's mobile developemnt for the last deacde. Windows Mobile is but a faint memory now, totally buried, with a typical MS promise of something released sometime in late 2010. LOL. And the iPhone is the SOLE REASON the smartphone landscape looks the way it does today. All those winderful HTC products, Android, the rumoured "Google Phone", the Droid, the Pre . . . all of that, exists today thanks to the iPhone and Apple's vision.

Put very simply, the iPhone is to the mobile industry what Jesus was to the Apostles. No joke.
  • Reply 55 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

No, all it did was set the standard in web browsing, integration and ease of use for the laymen.

You know how imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? As in the Google Phone, the Windows phone, Nokia's "attempts" at trying to make an interface that doesn't need a stylus (that N900 doesn't have a capacitive screen - FAIL).

How did it set a standard for web browsing? All it showed is that as usual Apple fanatics are just that even when it comes to browsing the web all day long. The success of the iPhone is also going to be its downfall. ATT is already considering putting a cap on data plans if if Apple can only go to TMobile in the US after that the iPhone is going to make a great door stop.

Carriers aren't going to put millions into their network just because iPhone users don't have a life and do nothing but surf the web all day long. When they start putting limits on usage its going to kill the iPhone. TMobile can barely handle what that have now and Verizon wants nothing to do with this mess.

The iPhone has peaked. It didn't put anyone one out of business, its not the #1 smartphone even though people here pretend it is, and carriers are going to start putting

limits on iPhone users because its not worth the headache.

Everyone is talking about the iPhone now because Apple has done nothing major with any of its other products in years.

Macbook has had nothing major

Macbook Pro has had nothing major

Mac Pro, nothing

Apple TV, has been a failure.

Macbook Air another failure.

iPods nothing major.

IMac, nothing. Except for quadcore which everyone else has had for years now.

They are such an innovative company? What have they done in years thats been so innovative?
  • Reply 56 of 344
    Quote:

In terms of the totality of Life, yes LOL. but in terms of tech and the way we use tech to enhacne our lives, hardly.

The iPhone is much more than "just a phone." The Nokia 1200 is also "just a phone" but is as far from the iPhone as a hawk from the moon. This "just a phone" singlehandedly destroyed all of Microsoft's mobile developemnt for the last deacde. Windows Mobile is but a faint memory now, totally buried, with a typical MS promise of something released sometime in late 2010. LOL. And the iPhone is the SOLE REASON the smartphone landscape looks the way it does today. All those winderful HTC products, Android, the rumoured "Google Phone", the Droid, the Pre . . . all of that, exists today thanks to the iPhone and Apple's vision.

Put very simply, the iPhone is to the mobile industry what Jesus was to the Apostles. No joke.

Lets make this simple. What can the iPHone do that other smartphones like the Blackberry and Droid can't? Lets get past this feel good shit you talk about, what real function can it do that other smartphones can't? The fact is the answer is nothing. In fact most smartphones are more productive for business then the iPhone. Not to mention while the iPhone makes a great browser it pretty much sucks as a phone.

Lets not try to bring this back to MS, this is about the other leaders in the smartphone world.

I have never said the iPhone isn't a good products however it has nothing over other smartphones in terms of real life daily functions. Clearly based on data numbers most are just using it as a web browser. Which is why ATT is going to start putting a cap on that. If ATT starts to cap iPhone data and Apple has to go to lousy TMobile you are going to see iPhone sale drop like a rock because the web surfing addicts are going to have their unlimited crack taken away.
  • Reply 57 of 344
    Quote:

The iPhone has peaked. It didn't put anyone one out of business, its not the #1 smartphone even though people here pretend it is, and carriers are going to start putting

limits on iPhone users because its not worth the headache.

Everyone is talking about the iPhone now because Apple has done nothing major with any of its other products in years.

Macbook has had nothing major

Mac Pro, nothing

iPods nothing major.

They are such an innovative company? What have they done in years thats been so innovative?

iPods, nothing major. Macbook Air, only the notebook everyone and their dog is copying. iMac, nothing, etc., etc.

And that "iPhone has peaked" bit of delusion is just too precious not to iCal.

Apple is really the ONLY ONE that is doing anything desirable and impressive in tech, bar none, and it's been this way for years now. Apple does, the others follow.

Nope, nothing major . . .

http://www.9to5mac.com/microsoft_is_blind_stupid_30161

• Reply 58 of 344
    Quote:

How did it set a standard for web browsing?

With less than 1% of the handset installed base Apple has over 50% of the mobile browser market. On top of that Nokia, Google, Palm and others use the Apple funded WebKit which was specifically designed to work well as on a mobile platform. Opera has a competent mobile browser but with a horrible JS engine and iris had the first mobile browser, based on WebKit and for WinMo, to pass Acid3 yet none of these seem to be as easy to use so they don?t get used. So besides paving the way they also have the best mobile bowser experience on the market today, according to many independent reviews. That sounds like ?standards setting? to me.
  • Reply 59 of 344
    Quote:

Lets make this simple. What can the iPHone do that other smartphones like the Blackberry and Droid can't? Lets get past this feel good shit you talk about, what real function can it do that other smartphones can't?

17% of the worldwide smartphone biz in 2 years, fully half of the mobile browser market, with unstoppable growth and about to overtake RIM. You tell me. I call it gestalt. That magical sweet-spot that is the combination of OS + hardware + ecosystem that the also rans just can't get right. If you don't "get" it, don't worry, you're not alone. There's this really big company a short drive from Seattle that doesn't get it, either.
  • Reply 60 of 344
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:

How did it set a standard for web.....

....Macbook has had nothing major

Mac Pro, nothing

iPods nothing major.

You don't keep up with apple much, huh?

I'd think AAPLs financial performance quarter after quarter would be a big clue that they are doing something right.. but I guess for someone with your reasoning skills there has to be a revolutionary product every 6 months and whatever other FAIL deductions you make about a companys performance and growth prospects. I mean- it's not like the iphone isn't distributed nearly world wide across many carriers.. right? oh right- you'd never think to consider that would ya?

try to look at a bigger picture than a product line. Do you understand margins? Any financial info? Besides, not that you could be convinced, a macbook is better than any laptop in the market.

have fun with your blinders on and head stuck in the sand. I can tell it helps you think you're a smart guy... pfft.