or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › No G5 PowerBook?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

No G5 PowerBook? - Page 5

post #161 of 179
Interesting.

Did the numbers disappear in .6 and .7?
Apple SexBots powered by Intel
Reply
Apple SexBots powered by Intel
Reply
post #162 of 179
Yeah, they did disappear. But, that means nothing to me. They probably still be introed at MWSf and ship probably when panther.8 comes out or it will ship with tiger already installed.
post #163 of 179
Ya, I was thinking maybe they could shit with a new OS if they were released. I was surprised that 10.3.7 came out. I assumed if the new PB's were coming, it would be released when they are.
Apple SexBots powered by Intel
Reply
Apple SexBots powered by Intel
Reply
post #164 of 179
I just want to bring to note that even though the Powerbook numbers disappeared, the Powermac 9,1 is still there. What the hell is that? Can't be the emac G5. A new cube? Dual core Powermac G5? Power5 based dual core G5?
post #165 of 179
How do I view this stuff?
Apple SexBots powered by Intel
Reply
Apple SexBots powered by Intel
Reply
post #166 of 179
Quote:
Originally posted by ryanh
How do I view this stuff?

Launch the terminal and go to the directory

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC4PE.kext/Contents/PlugIns

All is there.
post #167 of 179
Quote:
Originally posted by quagmire
I just want to bring to note that even though the Powerbook numbers disappeared, the Powermac 9,1 is still there. What the hell is that? Can't be the emac G5.

Why?
post #168 of 179
Quote:
Originally posted by quagmire
The dual core G4 was just sampled in October. So you expect them around WWDC time at least.

The dual core G4 is not going into sampling before autumn 2005 and consequently won't be available in the market before the spring of 2006. Do you mean perhaps something else?
post #169 of 179
Well the 10.3.6 update was released 5th November - that's ~6 weeks ago. Therefore it's quite feasible that the powerbooks could be announced at MWSF and shipping at the end of January which is ~6 weeks time.

I just think (as others have said) that if it was a simple G4 spec bump we would have had it some time ago, and what better way to start 2005 than with a new G5 powerbook which is probably more anticipated than the iMac G5.

Also note how there was alot of talk at the end of last year / beginning of this year about how hard it was going to be to get a G5 running in a notebook enclosure, but no-one official has really mentioned anything like that recently.
post #170 of 179
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Why?

Consumer computer numbers tend to be even numbers like the iMac G5 is Powermac 8,1. Pro computers tend to be odd like the Powermac G5 is Powermac 7,2. The only exception to the number rule seems to be the 12" Powerbook. Which is Powerbook 6,4.
post #171 of 179
Quote:
Originally posted by quagmire
I just want to bring to note that even though the Powerbook numbers disappeared, the Powermac 9,1 is still there. What the hell is that? Can't be the emac G5. A new cube? Dual core Powermac G5? Power5 based dual core G5?

Single PowerMac G5 1.8GHz, maybe? I'm assuming here, of course.
...we have assumed control
Reply
...we have assumed control
Reply
post #172 of 179
Quote:
Originally posted by Nine-Seventy
Well the 10.3.6 update was released 5th November - that's ~6 weeks ago. Therefore it's quite feasible that the powerbooks could be announced at MWSF and shipping at the end of January which is ~6 weeks time.

I suspect that Apple could ship the new powerbooks and an altered OS anytime they wanted. That is that the changes required to implement or ship the new hardware are likely to be minor compared to the OS as a whole. In other words slap in a couple of configuration files updates and a few drivers and you are good to go.
Quote:

I just think (as others have said) that if it was a simple G4 spec bump we would have had it some time ago, and what better way to start 2005 than with a new G5 powerbook which is probably more anticipated than the iMac G5.

I think Apple wants to get a 64 bit laptop out in the worst way. I would not be surprised to see one more go around with the G4 if needed. It is already obvious that faster chips are available for G4 upgrades.
Quote:

Also note how there was alot of talk at the end of last year / beginning of this year about how hard it was going to be to get a G5 running in a notebook enclosure, but no-one official has really mentioned anything like that recently.

The G5 based laptop may be here sooner than I thought even a couple weeks ago. This due to IBM's announcements made a week or two ago with respect to new process technology. If it works and they can get it online as fast as they hope then it looks like a low power technology will be available for portable chips. Of course the question then becomes just what will that chip be. I suspect something totally new with alot of 970 heritage.

Dave
post #173 of 179
Quote:
Originally posted by wizard69
This due to IBM's announcements made a week or two ago with respect to new process technology

What is exactly this? I think I missed it.

Quote:

I suspect something totally new with alot of 970 heritage.

Dave

That's precisely what I am expecting too. And not the G5 we all know at this moment.
post #174 of 179
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
What is exactly this? I think I missed it.

IBM announced new strained silicon technology a couple of weeks ago. Lowers power and/or increases speed. You will have to look up the details.
Quote:

That's precisely what I am expecting too. And not the G5 we all know at this moment.

Well people can argue all they want about the 970 but it isn't a laptop chip set in its current form. The reality is that it has been a long time since the 970 debuted, it is about time for a new series of chips.

Dave
post #175 of 179
Quote:
Originally posted by Nine-Seventy
Well the 10.3.6 update was released 5th November - that's ~6 weeks ago. Therefore it's quite feasible that the powerbooks could be announced at MWSF and shipping at the end of January which is ~6 weeks time.

I just think (as others have said) that if it was a simple G4 spec bump we would have had it some time ago, and what better way to start 2005 than with a new G5 powerbook which is probably more anticipated than the iMac G5.

Also note how there was alot of talk at the end of last year / beginning of this year about how hard it was going to be to get a G5 running in a notebook enclosure, but no-one official has really mentioned anything like that recently.

Unless they hit problems and had to go back to a G4, like a ail-proof. I would love to see a G5 PowerBook in Jan - I don't think we will though. Maybe WWDC - if not by then i can't wait any longer!
post #176 of 179
My apologies if this has already been posted, but for those of you interested in heat issues associated with G5 chips, here are some numbers from the Intel top end P4 counterparts. You can't quite boil water, but you might be able to poach an egg!

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20...p4_560-02.html
post #177 of 179
They cured the Intel P4 problem by building 12 pound laptops. They get steamy hot when turned on. I hope Apple won't resort to building huge laptops like that..... The 17" PB is small compared to the ones I have seen.
post #178 of 179
Agreed.
Apple would probably have no problem putting out a G5 powerbook if they abandoned apple design for notebooks. The fact that they want to keep the case as close to an inch as they can is probably the hardest factor they are facing. (or faced, whether they accomplished this or have given up. heh)
Apple SexBots powered by Intel
Reply
Apple SexBots powered by Intel
Reply
post #179 of 179
Quote:
Originally posted by ryanh
Agreed.
Apple would probably have no problem putting out a G5 powerbook if they abandoned apple design for notebooks. The fact that they want to keep the case as close to an inch as they can is probably the hardest factor they are facing. (or faced, whether they accomplished this or have given up. heh)

That's what makes Apple laptops stand out and be so amazing, however the price is a bit steep.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › No G5 PowerBook?