Pesky Psystar to emerge from Chapter 11 with new Mac offering

Comments

• Reply 121 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Yeah, someone explained to me why Dell & HP don't have their own OS on their Machines!! Apple and MS have their own OS so it is possible. SOME ONE EXPLAIN TO ME PLEASE

oh, stop teasing them. Amiga, Sun, and IBM made their own OS and hardware.
  • Reply 122 of 227
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    When somebody files Bankruptcy an automatic protection order goes into effect preventing at least temporarily all collection and/or court related activities against the party filing. So, Apple's copyright infringement suit was temporarily stopped. Apple asked the Court for the protection order as it pertains to Apple be lifted so that it can proceed with it's suit against Psystar, which Apple claimed the resolution of is essential to any restructuring that Psystar wants to do in Bankruptcy. Just because Apple was successful in it's motion, doesn't mean Psystar is out of Bankruptcy: it just means the Bankruptcy protection order as it pertain to that lawsuit doesn't apply. If Apple wins money against Psystar, whether or not Apple collects will be determined by the Bankruptcy Court.

Further, filing Bankruptcy is usually voluntary. Dropping the case, however, is not. The Court must approve the Bankruptcy case being dismissed. It is odd Psystar is claiming it will emerge from Bankruptcy because the Court hasn't ruled on it's motion to request the case being dropped yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The court are the ones who lifted the bankruptcy after Apple filed to have it lifted, claiming that Psystar was using it to hide behind.

• Reply 123 of 227
    Apple has to only win once. You see as the offended party it will always choose the location to sue. That location will be federal court in California. Once that court rules in favor of Apple, it will always rule in favor of Apple on the same issue. Further, California is it's home court.

Further, you can only be a customer if Apple offers you a product to buy. It, however, only offers an upgrade version of it's OS for sale, not a full install. So, if you pay upgrade prices and use it as a full install, you aren't a customer, but a thief.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

Trust me, Apple is eventually going to lose. They may shut down psystar, but then there will be another one and another one and another one. They can't go after every company and eventually some judge somewhere will rule against their ULA and it will be over. They should keep the customers that like their software - people like me.

• Reply 124 of 227
    halvrihalvri Posts: 146member
    Quote:

What I am saying is that Apple is ripping us Mac users in one way or another.

This should be the price at the apple store, not on Psystar's.

And as for the CPU, I am sure that there is a "huge" difference between them. And you know what? even IF what you are saying is true about the difference, Apple should present buyers with the option: what type of CPU do you want? They are boxing us in, taking a premium price - F*CK them.

I have a PC running Win7 right beside me, a Quad 6600, 4GB Ram, 9800GTX 512MB, etc. It cost me a year ago like $1,500± and it runs like a king. Put Mac OS X on this baby and it will fly!

Why shouldn't we have such a deal for a normal Mac? why should we get stuck with either an iMac OR a Mac Pro? WHERE IS THE *NORMAL* MAC?!

So F*ck them!

You're an outright idiot. I'm sorry, but do you have any effing clue what operating overheard and research and development are? Psystar doesn't have to expend money on either and that's why they can offer the product for so much less. It's also the reason you typically find items online for alot less money than in store (paying for a physical building is expensive).

The only thing Psystar has shown Mac customers is why protecting intellectual property is so important: because otherwise, some fat asshole from Florida will swoop in like cancer and leach off of you. My g-d, just listen to some of these interviews Rudy Pedraza has given. He's committing intellectual dishonesty on a massive level.

The idea of a business is to make money. The idea of a business is not to make friends and go play on the swing set. Apple is very price competitive with its direct competition (stuff like the Dell XPS One and the HP Touchsmart). If you wanna complain that Apple doesn't make a midtower, go right ahead, but this idea that you're paying twice as much for the same thing is patently false.

And no Apple will not lose. You set a legal precedent and in the future these lawsuits will not happen because these people will either get directly shut down or face an obvious court loss if sued. It doesn't matter how many of them show up, if they stand on the wrong side of IP law, they lose.
  • Reply 125 of 227
    Quote:

Now, who has the balls to tell me that the there is no apple tax?!

There is NO apple tax. Tax is a government revenue.
  • Reply 126 of 227
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

oh, stop teasing them. Amiga, Sun, and IBM made their own OS and hardware.

Yep and they just couldn't get passed a combined total of 3% market share.
  • Reply 127 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

You're an outright idiot. I'm sorry, but do you have any effing clue what operating overheard and research and development are? Psystar doesn't have to expend money on either and that's why they can offer the product for so much less. It's also the reason you typically find items online for alot less money than in store (paying for a physical building is expensive).

The only thing Psystar has shown Mac customers is why protecting intellectual property is so important: because otherwise, some fat asshole from Florida will swoop in like cancer and leach off of you. My g-d, just listen to some of these interviews Rudy Pedraza has given. He's committing intellectual dishonesty on a massive level.

The idea of a business is to make money. The idea of a business is not to make friends and go play on the swing set. Apple is very price competitive with its direct competition (stuff like the Dell XPS One and the HP Touchsmart). If you wanna complain that Apple doesn't make a midtower, go right ahead, but this idea that you're paying twice as much for the same thing is patently false.

And no Apple will not lose. You set a legal precedent and in the future these lawsuits will not happen because these people will either get directly shut down or face an obvious court loss if sued. It doesn't matter how many of them show up, if they stand on the wrong side of IP law, they lose.

Spot on!
  • Reply 128 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

When somebody files Bankruptcy an automatic protection order goes into effect preventing at least temporarily all collection and/or court related activities against the party filing. So, Apple's copyright infringement suit was temporarily stopped. Apple asked the Court for the protection order as it pertains to Apple be lifted so that it can proceed with it's suit against Psystar, which Apple claimed the resolution of is essential to any restructuring that Psystar wants to do in Bankruptcy. Just because Apple was successful in it's motion, doesn't mean Psystar is out of Bankruptcy: it just means the Bankruptcy protection order as it pertain to that lawsuit doesn't apply. If Apple wins money against Psystar, whether or not Apple collects will be determined by the Bankruptcy Court.

Further, filing Bankruptcy is usually voluntary. Dropping the case, however, is not. The Court must approve the Bankruptcy case being dismissed. It is odd Psystar is claiming it will emerge from Bankruptcy because the Court hasn't ruled on it's motion to request the case being dropped yet.

Marketing has a way of bending the facts, eh?
  • Reply 129 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You get $50 off instantly, so the price starts at $1,317. Then to be nice i?ll knock another $80 off the price since that goes to Global Fund to help prepare African babies to get adopted by Hollywood celebrities or something, so the price is now $1237.

Dell is using an old Allendale/SantaRosa architecture desktop processor that is 65nm, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800 MT/s CPU that cost $113 back in 2007 when it was introduced. Contrast that to the 45nm, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066 MT/s CPU that cost $348 when released.

That isn?t even considering the XPS One?s DDR2 667MHz RAM, 250GB HDD, Intel GMA 3100 IGP, 80°*viewing angle compared to the iMac?s DDR3 1067MHz RAM, 320GB HDD, Nvidia 9400M IGP, 160° viewing angle, etc.

I?m guessing that the XPS One has not been a good seller for Dell so they are just holding it until they can get rid of stock, but that doesn?t explain the excessive price for such old components.

In short, DELL is losing market share and profits are sinking. So they are increasing their margins on certain products hoping they get bought and the quality drop is overlooked.
  • Reply 130 of 227
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

In short, DELL is losing market share and profits are sinking. So they are increasing their margins on certain products hoping they get bought and the quality drop is overlooked.

It certainly looks that way. They do offer a desktop Quad in the 24? XPS One, which I think means that it has to be a newer architecture chip. Still, it?s only using the Intel GMA X4500 IGP and has a display with an 89° viewing angle, but it?s better than the 20?.

I wish that other vendors offered AIOs that were more popular and more competitive to the iMac. It would surely help to keep the iMac updated more often.
  • Reply 131 of 227
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Just look at this:

Psystar Open 7 Workstation:

Core i7 Xeon 2.66GHz

6 GB DDR3 RAM

1 TB HD

GeForce 9500GT GTX 512MB

DVD-RW

802.11n (PCI-E 1x) (added)

FW 400 + 800 (added)

Mac OS X + iLife + iWork

================

$1,734

Apple Mac Pro, DEFAULT configuration:

Core i7 Xeon 2.66GHz

3 GB DDR3 RAM

640 GB HD

GeForce GT 120 512MB

DVD-RW

Mac OS X + iLife

NO WIRELESS

FW 800 ONLY

Mac OS X + iLife

================

$2,499

$765 more for the same computer!

F*ck Apple, what a sorry ass bunch of thieves. Now, who has the balls to tell me that the there is no apple tax?!

How about if I make an equally stupid argument:

Chevy Cobalt Sedan $14,990

Mercedes Benz S-class $89,350

Both of them have 4 doors, 4 wheels, one trunk, one steering wheel and a radio. Both of them seat 5. How dare Mercedes charge $75 K more?

Quote:

Why shouldn't we have such a deal for a normal Mac? why should we get stuck with either an iMac OR a Mac Pro? WHERE IS THE *NORMAL* MAC?!

So F*ck them!

There's no such thing as a 'normal' Mac. There are Macs and computers made by other companies. Defining something that YOU want as 'normal' is just plain stupid.

Quote:

You guys are just not listening.

No one is saying Psystar are doing the right thing. No one says that Apple should not sue their ass to kngdom come. They should. But what Psystar is showing you is that Apple is f*cking us up our collective asses in various ways. I, WILL NOT buy hardware that is twice expensive because this is what Mr. Jobs decided that I needed. Sorry - on my ass, there is a big NO ENTRY sign

The customer is always right.

Except when they're wrong.

No one is making you spend twice as much. Macs are not twice as much as truly comparable computers. But even if they were, here's how free enterprise works. A company offers a product at a given price. You choose either to buy it, not buy it, or buy something else. No one is forcing anyone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So, lets say I was a soccer mom looking for a computer. My knowledge of computers is moderate, and I'm looking for something with stability, ease of use, and peace of mind. I want a decent amount of power across the board. A simple mid level tower. What can Apple do for me? Is that not a large enough of a demographic for Apple to pay attention to?

What a stupid argument. Why would a soccer mom want a tower? Sounds like the classic iMac demographic. Or, if she's on a budget, a Mini.

I know very, very few people who have ever opened a computer for anything but adding RAM. Apple has apparently decided the number is too small to bother with. Remember that Apple has 30+ years of selling computers. I suspect their market research is better than yours - especially if you think a soccer mom is likely to be a tower customer.

Quote:

Well that's where I'm coming from and I think where nano tube is coming from as well.

Hell, if I was a professional movie editor, I'd get a mac pro completely loaded. I'm not alone in saying that I'm not a professional movie editor, however, and I don't need the level of hardware offered, but at the same time, I would NEVER use a mac mini or imac. I'm not alone by a long shot dude.

No, you're not. Lots of people don't buy Macs. So?

Apple can't get to all customers. They don't even try. They choose the market segments they want to compete in and then do so. The fact that they choose not to go after people who think price is the only thing that matters doesn't make them evil.

Quote:

hey I never said they were REQUIRED to suit these needs, just pointing out why it would be beneficial. The machine Psystar is selling is a clear example of the level of cost to performance that Apple is skipping.

And we can see how many computers Psystar has sold.

If you don't like Apple's offerings, don't buy them. Or compromise on something. That doesn't make Apple evil.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Right, but Apple is saying it is not a free market and that Mac OS X license owners do not have the freedom to use that OS on a Psystar machine. Nor does that company even have the freedom to sell its machines. So, we will see how free this market really is.

You've got it backwards. Apple is saying that it's a free market and people who don't like their products are free to buy computers from any of hundreds of other PC vendors. THAT is their choice, not stealing Apple's proprietary property. Apple is also not saying that Psystar can't sell its own computers. Apple has never raised any objection to the hundreds of other PC vendors selling their own computers. What's different about Psystar is that they're stealing Apple's property in order to sell computers. BIG difference.
  • Reply 132 of 227
    greglogreglo Posts: 63member
    Quote:

You're an outright idiot... The idea of a business is to make money.

No, it's not. It's to satisfy a demand. Repeating garbage you hear on the internet doesn't make you intelligent.

Quote:

The idea of a business is not to make friends and go play on the swing set.

How can it be? A business is a business, not a person. If a business was a person they would be called a businessman, who very well could make friends and play on the swing set. As it is, it's impossible for a non-physical entity to do physical activities.

Quote:

Apple is very price competitive with its direct competition (stuff like the Dell XPS One and the HP Touchsmart). If you wanna complain that Apple doesn't make a midtower, go right ahead, but this idea that you're paying twice as much for the same thing is patently false.

That's the point. You can't pay twice as much for the same thing from Apple because half of those things they don't offer!
  • Reply 133 of 227
    Macgenius84 here just trying to set the record straight on psystar.

Psystar should go bankrupt and its great that in a matter of short time that they will be no more. If the creators of psystar -6-+

*0/8540741074\\

*?µj nhbgfvdcsxaz;LOIKUJYHTGRFEDWSQAp-0o98i7y65t4r3e2w1q`0
  • Reply 134 of 227
    Quote:

I honestly don't how people can get their panties in a wad about "Apple's IP". If Psystar bought Mac OS X off the shelf and installed it onto a hackintosh, they are stealing nothing (I'm not saying that's what they are doing, but they very well could be).

I made a hackintosh last year. It was a fun project, and saved me close to $1000 when I was done. I also had a Mac that was better than any iMac out there, and maybe better than the Mac Pros. I paid around $1300 to build a Core i7 iMac, which is still faster than any iMac out there (it also has a ridiculous amount of RAM and a WAYYY better video card in it which will buy more processing power in the long run anyway). But my point is--I stole nothing. I bought a family pack of Leopard when it came out, so I installed it in my hackintosh. Against the EULA for sure, but nobody has every proven that EULAs are enforceable. So I stole no Apple IP as far as I am concerned, and Psystar may (not) be either.

Also I hope everybody whining about Apple's IP always pays for every MP3, DVD and piece of software they own--amazing how many Mac fans I've met who pirate the sh*t out of DVDs but still swear it's a sin to build a hackintosh. That includes ripping DVDs, even ones you already own, which is a big no-no.
  • Reply 134 of 227
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo View Post

No, it's not. It's to satisfy a demand. Repeating garbage you hear on the internet doesn't make you intelligent.

ROTFLMAO.

Don't call someone stupid when they're right and you're wrong.

Businesses exist to make money, at least publicly traded ones. One of the legal obligations of a publicly traded company is to maximize shareholder value - which is typically a function of how much money they make.

There's no law that says a business has to satisfy a demand. That's certainly one great way to make money, but it's not required. And it's especially not required that they satisfy any particular demand.

If I run a retail store and a customer comes in and demands a product that I don't sell, I don't have to sell it to them. If they demand that I sell the product for less than I want to sell it for, I don't have to sell it to them. Business is most certainly NOT about meeting every demand that anyone can make - or even any demand that a billion people might make.
  • Reply 136 of 227

Psystar should go bankrupt and its great that in a matter of short time that they will be no more. If the creators of psystar want to use mac software they should buy a mac and not try to make it something its not like a mac hardware in over the top pc casing thats just not cool it causes more problems then its worth plus they went against the apple license agreement that all mac software should stay on an apple product and only a apple product psystar were making apple another typical wrigged pc. like thats not downgrading the mac
  • Reply 137 of 227
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macgenius84 View Post

Psystar should go bankrupt and its great that in a matter of short time that they will be no more. If the creators of psystar want to use mac software they should buy a mac and not try to make it something its not like a mac hardware in over the top pc casing thats just not cool it causes more problems then its worth plus they went against the apple license agreement that all mac software should stay on an apple product and only a apple product psystar were making apple another typical wrigged pc. like thats not downgrading the mac

• Reply 138 of 227
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    I kind of want to get one of these Psystar machines... They're quickly becoming a chapter in Apple's history.
  • Reply 139 of 227
    halvrihalvri Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skittlebrau79 View Post

I honestly don't how people can get their panties in a wad about "Apple's IP". If Psystar bought Mac OS X off the shelf and installed it onto a hackintosh, they are stealing nothing (I'm not saying that's what they are doing, but they very well could be).

I made a hackintosh last year. It was a fun project, and saved me close to $1000 when I was done. I also had a Mac that was better than any iMac out there, and maybe better than the Mac Pros. I paid around $1300 to build a Core i7 iMac, which is still faster than any iMac out there (it also has a ridiculous amount of RAM and a WAYYY better video card in it which will buy more processing power in the long run anyway). But my point is--I stole nothing. I bought a family pack of Leopard when it came out, so I installed it in my hackintosh. Against the EULA for sure, but nobody has every proven that EULAs are enforceable. So I stole no Apple IP as far as I am concerned, and Psystar may (not) be either.

Also I hope everybody whining about Apple's IP always pays for every MP3, DVD and piece of software they own--amazing how many Mac fans I've met who pirate the sh*t out of DVDs but still swear it's a sin to build a hackintosh. That includes ripping DVDs, even ones you already own, which is a big no-no.

With all do respect, you bought an upgrade pack and compiled it to work as if it were a standard universal installation pack. Apple charges $129 for Leopard because it is an upgrade. Were it not, it would sit around the $300-$400 Vista Ultimate usually sells for. Leopard's price is subsidized by by the hardware you're buying. So, yes, you did steal it. And yes, you did violate the EULA, which has been upheld in U.S. and Japanese courts several times. Please don't even bring up the European Union, I could not care less to hear about the opinions of a legal body whose rulings never stand up in courts other than its own.

Your sense of entitlement is sickening. If you want a midtower, then buy a Windows computer. I'm sure several of the Apple bashers here can give you reasons why you might like that. And don't be an ass and use quotation marks around "Apple's IP." They own it, it's theirs, they can set and define the terms of its usage. You can disagree with them and take your money elsewhere. That's how the market works and grows.

When you bought that copy of Leopard, you purchased a license, not the source code. The same way when you buy a Bob Dylan song, you're buying a copy of it, not the rights to the original work. So, quite literally, you have absolutely no legal right to do what you did. Just because Apple hasn't personally sued you for it, doesn't change that fact.
  • Reply 139 of 227
    The title is misleading. Filing Bankruptcy is usually voluntary. Getting the case dismissed is not. So, Psystar has to ask the Court for permission to drop the case, which apparently it has. Courts do not always let Debtors do that. So just because Psystar is seeking to get out of Bankruptcy sooner rather then later, it isn't a sure fire thing that the Court will allow it. The title suggests Psystar will emerge from Bankruptcy with new offerings. Not necessarily true, as Psystar might never emerge from Bankruptcy. It could convert to a Chapter 7 and liquidate the company.