Demand for Apple's 13" MacBook Pro may be outpacing supply

245678

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 146
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    I'm not surprised. I went to the Apple store two weeks ago to get a 13" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz and was in for a surprise. The first store I went to didn't have the higher speed 13" pro in stock. They tried to sell me a EOL model which I promptly declined. Did I mention I had to get IN LINE OUTSIDE THE STORE? Yeah! The store was packed with customers and I had to get in line to get in. Upon finding out they didn't have what I want, I went to a different store and guess what??? I had to get in line again! I also found out that I got the last 13" 2.5GHz that they had left.
  • Reply 22 of 146
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,175member
    I'm strongly thinking about selling my Aluminum MacBook and 24" iMac and just get a 13" MBP with the 24" LED Cinema. I haven't yet decided though. The 13" MBP is probably one of the best laptops Apple has released in quite a while. Everything about this laptop is awesome!
  • Reply 23 of 146
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xtxad View Post


    i was skeptical about the glossy screens, but honestly, it's not even an issue for me. sure, sometimes i'll catch a glimpse of my reflection, but overall, the screens are not as bad as some people make them out to be.



    Well I had the white MacBook with glossy screen and set it up for a girlfriend, despite my misgivings about the glossy screen.



    I used it for quite some time as not to be bias, and noticed I started having eyestrain and headaches, the same ones I had back in the CRT days.



    I stopped using her glossy MacBook and a week later I was fine, used it again and the eyestrain started again.



    So there is a problem, I think it has to do with the eye having trouble focusing on the slightly out of focus reflections and the main image.



    This eye trouble with glossy screens might not be a problem for everyone, but it does affect a rather large portion of the population as the online polls and "i hate glossy" post complaints multiply.



    If I were developing a computer, I would make it easy to use so people would spend more time using it and surfing the internet, thus feeding the addiction.



    Apple has seemed to deviate from this track with their latest products. Notably the iPhone's small screen, limited battery life and the glossy screen computer reflections.



    Apple has got the software angle locked tight, it's the hardware choice that's starting to become a problem as they increase in market share.



    Apple needs to break out and make a large selection of hardware choices now, instead of the limited choices they offer. Time to mature Apple!!
  • Reply 24 of 146
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmatte View Post


    I argue that, in spite of soaring MacBook sales, it could be better if Apple offered matte screens.



    …..



    I agree with you. I would most likely have bought a new laptop and iMac by now (3 years and counting) if it weren't for the glossy issue. At this point I need a new laptop and will get the 13" MBP as the quality is much improved over the prior 13". However, if there were a matte version (which I really think will happen- who expected a 17" matte?) I would be much more eager to buy right now. It's just getting really old to wait and wait. So much for Apple getting a higher enviro friendly rating- at the expense of their long time customers.

    But you can forget a glossy iMac- no way wil I go that route. That screen looks like a solar panel when turned off- a real eyesore in any living situation IMO.
  • Reply 25 of 146
    nanotechnanotech Posts: 38member
    I just hope that these new apple-made batteries will be higher quality than those old sony ones. Had my battery on my 2008 mbp replaced recently because it was defective. Though hey, I did get a new battery out of it for free (it was still under warranty)
  • Reply 26 of 146
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post


    In my opinion, Apple is about to retire their MacBook Pro line next,




    doubtful. if anything there will be a merging of the lines as component prices come down. but it will be more a dumping of the Macbook line. not the pro. We're more likely to end up with the current Macbook gone in favor of a better and cheaper Air which will gain a built in 'cellular' antenna (3g or whatever the flavor of the time is) to become the companies entry into the netbook realm. and the pro machines. which will still have the optical drives etc.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post


    That's because... they're lower priced.



    that is probably one factor. the inclusion of firewire would be another. plus the laptops always have a peak this time of year cause of back to school. especially with some colleges starting to require laptops and or an ipod touch. and now some high schools and even middle schools (private ones mind you) are making a home computer a requirement. at least in LA. I was stunned to overhear this when I slipped into local store to check my email on a break.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post


    I never would have thought that anyone would want an internal battery, which guarantee's a service need at some point,



    yeah, in 4-5 years. 3 at the shortest. and that's only if you are running games, editing video or the like on the battery like crazy. and the price would be the same as buying a current battery. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something you could have done in a 15 minute Bar appointment. so what's the grief. it's not like now where they only guarantee a battery for 1 year of normal use



    Quote:

    & the totally unacceptable Glossy screen.



    unacceptable to you.



    i wouldn't be shocked to see sales numbers on the old matte options and have it turn out that at both points the matte didn't sell in great numbers. except perhaps in the 17 inch model. which is why that is the only one with that option.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post


    You can get to the battery in the MacBook Pro models by undoing a few screws, see Other World Computing videos to learn how.




    good thing that the battery is spec'd to last past 3 years. cause it is probably no longer a user upgradable item. and doing the above would void the warranty. at the point you would need to do it, that issue isn't one anymore.



    Quote:

    The screen can be replaced with a matte on MacBook Pros via TechRestore for a fee, violating your warranty I'm sure.




    most certainly. same for having it turned into a tablet. then again, those with the money for such things probably have the money to buy a new computer if something goes south.



    as for all this "If Apple really wants to sell" talk. stop and consider. One major winning point on the whole Psystar issue is that tying is not inherently evil or anti-trust. it is only when a company has the dominant share of the applicable market that anti-trust comes into play. Psystar tried to argue that there is such a thing as the Macintosh Computer Market and thus Apple had a clear monopoly. The courts ruled no, the market is Personal Computer Systems. and in both the hardware sector and the software sector, Apple lacks any kind of dominant share. so it is totally legal for them to tie the two and thus anti-trust is not a valid defense against what is clearly a DCMA violation, forcing Psystar to now go with the long going but yet to be successful "EULAs are evil" argument.



    IF Apple were to cut prices, open up more configurations etc. they would most likely raise their market share. likely not in hardware but in software. the OS would gain status and probably very quickly hit 40-60% at which point someone like Psystar could win the anti-trust fight and force cloning. Which Apple doesn't want. Thus they are happy staying at a lower share.



    Also, folks on a board like this are maybe 5% of the Apple user base. a very vocal 5% but still peanuts in the end. And it's a simple truth that those in that group that want to find something to bitch and moan about will do it no matter how much catering to your whims Apple does. So since they know you are going to go off and make your hackintosh no matter what, they are better off paying attention to the folks that will actually buy their computers.
  • Reply 27 of 146
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    1) Both mention models were best bang for bucks



    2) 8GB RAM upgradeable (lot of pend up demand i guess)



    3) better screens



    4) $10 Snow Leopard upgrades



    5) iPod back to school program



    Yeah!, it is selling like hot cakes, whether can sustain the same in Oct to dec quarter? no one knows...
  • Reply 28 of 146
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    ...as for all this "If Apple really wants to sell" talk. stop and consider. One major winning point on the whole Psystar issue is that tying is not inherently evil or anti-trust. it is only when a company has the dominant share of the applicable market that anti-trust comes into play. Psystar tried to argue that there is such a thing as the Macintosh Computer Market and thus Apple had a clear monopoly. The courts ruled no, the market is Personal Computer Systems. and in both the hardware sector and the software sector, Apple lacks any kind of dominant share. so it is totally legal for them to tie the two and thus anti-trust is not a valid defense against what is clearly a DCMA violation, forcing Psystar to now go with the long going but yet to be successful "EULAs are evil" argument.



    IF Apple were to cut prices, open up more configurations etc. they would most likely raise their market share. likely not in hardware but in software. the OS would gain status and probably very quickly hit 40-60% at which point someone like Psystar could win the anti-trust fight and force cloning. Which Apple doesn't want. Thus they are happy staying at a lower share.





    It does seem Apple wants to remain the minority in computer systems or else they would offer more hardware options, notably a mid range tower and more matte screen options, especially laptops.



    But a higher price can keep Apple market share low just the same.



    Apple had not problem taking over the iPod market and hell bent on taking over the cell phone market. Don't see why they shouldn't just go for it on the computer side.



    A larger customer base means more hardware options, if Apple offered what Pystar provides, they wouldn't be in business. Trying to sue cloners after the fact is like a game of whack a mole, it's pointless.



    Give the people what they want if you can make a profit at it. Simple really.
  • Reply 29 of 146
    hattighattig Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post


    i'm so surprised to hear that any of the MBP line is selling well. I never would have thought that anyone would want an internal battery, which guarantee's a service need at some point, & the totally unacceptable Glossy screen. I've been waiting & had planned to upgrade soon until I saw Apple's new MBP offerings. I'm so disappointed that i"m going to a "hackintosh" when my current 15" MBP dies. I guess you could say that my 12 yr. love affair with Apple has finally ended..



    1. 95% of laptop users never replace their internal battery.



    2. Of those 5%, many do it because the battery isn't lasting long.



    3. Apple made the battery last 3x as long (1000 full recharge cycles), with longer inbetween charges due to a higher capacity.



    4. Therefore only a tiny minority will need to replace the battery ever.



    5. 95% and more of users benefit outright.



    6. Most of the other users can just use an external battery pack, and thus not need to power down their laptop.



    7. Many users prefer the clarity that glossy screens give, and will put up with awkward reflections. But yes, this should be an option.
  • Reply 30 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmatte View Post


    I argue that, in spite of soaring MacBook sales, it could be better if Apple offered matte screens.



    This argument below is an excerpt taken from http://macmatte.wordpress.com where the raw poll data is found.



    Most online polls show that 40% prefer matte, but 20% would still buy glossy if forced to do so. This means that 20% of past Apple users refuse to buy glossy Macs.



    ?



    I can't imagine how this could reflect reality. This site has a fairly specific audience; how many people that don't have an issue with the glossy screens would go to a site like this.



    Try standing outside a mac store and ask people if they would have preferred to have a matte screen for their new laptop. How well would that correspond? Not well I think.



    The glossy screens are sexy looking, and that's the bottom line. Most of us are shallow.
  • Reply 31 of 146
    hattighattig Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    Are you sure of that?



    I'm on my third battery for my 2006 MBP. They don't seem to last worth a shit IME.



    Having said that the new battery technology looks pretty intriguing. If they do live up to Apple's claims of 1000 cycles of charging then that would truly represent a big improvement in battery tech. I'm a little skeptical just based on my experience with the batteries for my current MBP but I'm trying to keep an open mind.



    In AnandTech's testing, the 2006 MBP had appalling battery life. It was an early Intel machine, and it suffered greatly with battery life. Certainly in comparison to the 5 hour battery lives of the PowerPC laptops beforehand, it was half as long.



    I still get 4 hours on my iBook battery, and that was new in 2006 (the Apple/Sony battery replacement).
  • Reply 32 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post


    Mac's never cease to amaze me, even today I learned a new trick



    command option eject





    cool huh? sleeps it right off.



    And here I thought I knew it all.





    In my opinion, Apple is about to retire their MacBook Pro line next, shifting all mechanical devices to external sources in favor of MacBook Air type laptops.



    Now that memory like SDXC can hold up to 2TB with 2x the speed of a 7,200 RPM hard drive, why use SSD or HD's anymore?





    Also Intel is coming out with a new line of processors with integrated GPU and memory controller, we might be seeing the end of dedicated GPU's as well.



    http://www.hardmac.com/news/2009/07/...ile-processors





    So the new MacBook line coming might possibly have everything on the logic board, even the memory/storage, making them even cheaper to produce and thinner than before.





    Absolutely agree. I think that the Air was a little ahead of it's time with regards to the market. It's funny how Apple will take the "wait and see" approach with certain products/features while simultaneously releasing other items well ahead of the pack. Anyway, I believe the Air could/should be a killer device with possibly a few added ports but more importantly, a substantial decrease in price. An all Air lineup does seem imminent.
  • Reply 33 of 146
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post


    Absolutely agree. I think that the Air was a little ahead of it's time with regards to the market. It's funny how Apple will take the "wait and see" approach with certain products/features while simultaneously releasing other items well ahead of the pack. Anyway, I believe the Air could/should be a killer device with possibly a few added ports but more importantly, a substantial decrease in price. An all Air lineup does seem imminent.



    The only way to deliver a substantial decrease in price is to make it less powerful. The Air uses a special low-package-size Low-Voltage Core 2 Duo which is considerably more expensive than the standard Core 2 Duo in the MacBook and MacBook Pro, which in turn is much more expensive than the Atom chips found in netbooks.



    I'm not sure, but it's also possible that the more complicated shape of the Air's underside and the door flap for the ports make it more expensive to manufacture than a 13" MacBook Pro.



    Expecting the Air to ever cost less than a 13" MacBook Pro whilst maintaining performance is unrealistic.



    I'd rather just see a 10" MacBook with Atom etc.



    Given the explosion of netbooks, the Air looks more and more like another Cube (form over function, offering less flexibility and less power for more money). When the Air first came out, it was competing against very expensive ultra-portables, and it delivered - it was cheaper, more powerful, weighed about the same but had a full-size keyboard and screen. But that was then. Now, netbooks have destroyed the ultra-portable market. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple stop making the Air.
  • Reply 34 of 146
    Well, I plan on buying a 13" MacbookPro this week. But sadly, I'm not excited.



    I currently have a 17" G4 imac and my beloved 12" 1.5 ghz Powerbook. My mac guru friends tell me that it is time to upgrade. My 12" Powerbook battery doesn't last even 30 minutes, and I suppose it is getting a bit long in the tooth.



    I have one question NO ONE seems to be able to answer for me. If I buy this new 13" MacbookPro, will it pick up wifi signals from farther away then my 12" Powerbook? I really need it to.



    Also, I'll need to buy a new laptop backpack for this new laptop, but every one I've seen is for a 15" laptop or bigger. does ANYONE make a backpack just for this size laptop??



    I think I'll get the entry level one....should be good enough for me, since I'm still extremely happy with my 8 year old imac....



    I'll buy this soon because of the ipod deal, the $10 snow leopard and the $100 dollars off a printer deal....but I'll miss my matte screen and I am hoping I will not have buyers remorse. I also hope the new laptop will have a better wifi range......but no one at Apple can tell me it will.....
  • Reply 35 of 146
    I've been waiting for my University's bookstore to get some of the upper-config 13" MBPs in stock since the day they were announced. Still waiting. They claim to be receiving a shipment tomorrow, but it's been a long couple of weeks.
  • Reply 36 of 146
    le studiosle studios Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post


    Mac's never cease to amaze me, even today I learned a new trick



    command option eject





    cool huh? sleeps it right off.



    And here I thought I knew it all.





    In my opinion, Apple is about to retire their MacBook Pro line next, shifting all mechanical devices to external sources in favor of MacBook Air type laptops.



    Now that memory like SDXC can hold up to 2TB with 2x the speed of a 7,200 RPM hard drive, why use SSD or HD's anymore?





    Also Intel is coming out with a new line of processors with integrated GPU and memory controller, we might be seeing the end of dedicated GPU's as well.



    http://www.hardmac.com/news/2009/07/...ile-processors





    So the new MacBook line coming might possibly have everything on the logic board, even the memory/storage, making them even cheaper to produce and thinner than before.



    Thanks, that Command - Option - Eject also works on the Mac mini too. I'm glad you posted this because it save me time from doing it in the Menu.
  • Reply 37 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    The only way to deliver a substantial decrease in price is to make it less powerful. The Air uses a special low-package-size Low-Voltage Core 2 Duo which is considerably more expensive than the standard Core 2 Duo in the MacBook and MacBook Pro, which in turn is much more expensive than the Atom chips found in netbooks.



    I'm not sure, but it's also possible that the more complicated shape of the Air's underside and the door flap for the ports make it more expensive to manufacture than a 13" MacBook Pro.



    Expecting the Air to ever cost less than a 13" MacBook Pro whilst maintaining performance is unrealistic.



    I'd rather just see a 10" MacBook with Atom etc.



    Given the explosion of netbooks, the Air looks more and more like another Cube (form over function, offering less flexibility and less power for more money). When the Air first came out, it was competing against very expensive ultra-portables, and it delivered - it was cheaper, more powerful, weighed about the same but had a full-size keyboard and screen. But that was then. Now, netbooks have destroyed the ultra-portable market. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple stop making the Air.



    True enough. I guess it was naive to have overlooked the whole netbook craze. A 10" macbook would be great especially if it were as slim and lightweight as the air. Not so sure about all the rumors of a tablet though.
  • Reply 38 of 146
    gmacgmac Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post


    The glossy screen is a drawback. Try surfing in the back yard on a sunny day.



    Do you own one and have you tried this? I own one and an HP for work that has a matte screen. I have used both side by side on my backyard deck in the sun. The Mac's was infinitely more readible.



    The glossy screen concern is overblown IMO. In the stores you do see quite a lot of reflection from overhead flourescent lights and track lights. In regular use at my home and office, I don't notice reflections at all and the screen just seems so much brighter and sharper than my HP.



    It's funny, when LCD's began replacing CRT's, people were lamenting the 'screen door' effect you get from the matte screen compared to the glass of CRTs. We've come full circle!
  • Reply 39 of 146
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I am I the only who feels that a 13 inch laptop should not be a Pro laptop?
  • Reply 40 of 146
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    Are you sure of that?



    I'm on my third battery for my 2006 MBP. They don't seem to last worth a shit IME.



    Having said that the new battery technology looks pretty intriguing. If they do live up to Apple's claims of 1000 cycles of charging then that would truly represent a big improvement in battery tech. I'm a little skeptical just based on my experience with the batteries for my current MBP but I'm trying to keep an open mind.



    LIthium-ion batteries actually go bad over time even if they are not used. So a replacement Li-ion battery for an old laptop is probably an old battery which was siting on the shelf until the day you bought it. As time goes on any replacement battery you buy will be worse than the previous one because they probably aren't manufacturing that style battery any longer and all available batteries were manufactured around the same time as the computer itself.
Sign In or Register to comment.