Apple may extend antiglare display option to more Macs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple made a bold move roughly two years ago to begin transitioning its entire Mac product line away from matte displays and towards glass-enclosed glossy ones, but the company may be nearing a concession that these shiny, highly-reflective screens may not be for everyone.

The Cupertino-based company is currently mulling the possibility of extending antiglare display options to more of its Macs -- a feature now only available on the 17-inch MacBook Pro -- according to people who have proven familiar with the company's plans. Though speculative at this time, it would appear that the 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros would be the most likely candidates to receive antiglare options.

The transition towards glossy displays appears to have been sparked by the original iPhone, whose glass touchscreen and black border resonated well with customers. The reception was favorable enough that Apple, in a bid to push the envelope and standardize materials across its product families, gave similar treatment to its iMac line a few months later.

Further emboldened, Apple announced in October its new line of unibody notebooks would also forgo matte displays for glossy ones, with the exception of a $50 antiglare option on the pricey 17-inch MacBook Pro. These new displays "provide crisp images and vivid colors which are ideal for viewing photos and movies," Apple said, "and the edge-to-edge cover glass creates a smooth, seamless surface."

Not everyone was thrilled with the move, especially those members of Apple's core professional video and image editing communities, who argued that the glossy displays tend to complicate color matching. Others are indifferent to this effect, but just can't stomach the glare given off by the glossy screens. Some are road warriors who take their notebooks on different assignments each day, and sometimes find themselves at sunny sporting events, unable to escape the reflective properties of the screens.

Whatever the case, Apple appreciates the concern, as it did with the outrage over the brief absence of FireWire on its 13-inch notebook offerings. The Mac maker has been following the numerous petitions and online threads dedicated to the display matter and hears their customers' collective voice, those familiar with the matter say.

A glossy unibody MacBook Pro side-by-side with a previous-gen matte MacBook Pro | Source: Flickr user Loustechworld

In the meantime, customers averse to the glossy displays are left with only a couple of options. They can plunk down the extra change for a 17-inch MacBook Pro with the antiglare option, or send their glossy MacBook Pro to solutions provides like TechRestore, which offers a third-party matte screen replacement program for $200.

"GlareBook Pro?" their Web site chides. "We don?t think so."

Still, Apple's glossy displays offer their advantages and are here to stay for the foreseeable future. In addition to being easier to clean, they produce brighter, richer colors and deeper blacks, for a crisper overall image. These traits play well to the company's offerings, all of which cater to consumers' digital lifestyles.

For more on Apple's glossy displays, see page two of AppleInsider's in-depth unibody MacBook Pro review.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 150
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Ouch! My wife bought a 13 inch MacBook about six months ago with no firewire and the glossy screen, both of which are problematic. I guess it will be eBay time when the next 13 inch pro comes out with a matte screen. \
  • Reply 2 of 150
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I never quite understood why Apple, a company claiming to offer BTO (build to order) computers had too many missing options. At some point the BTO rings hollow if you're proverbially telling folks "you can have any color you want as long as it's Black"
  • Reply 3 of 150
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I personally prefer gloss. Actually, to be clear I like the Gloss on the Air, which I don't think is the same as the gloss on the new MacBook Pros - but, to not offer a matte option is stupid.
  • Reply 4 of 150
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Waiting for the "told you so" from our favorite whipping boy.
  • Reply 5 of 150
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I would pay $50 extra for no-glare on my next MacBook Air.
  • Reply 6 of 150
    Good to hear that anti-glare screens might be making a comeback. My current 2008 MacBook Pro has a matte screen and I was kind of worried that I wouldn't have the option of a matte screen when it comes time to upgrade in a few years. I would never buy a laptop with a glossy screen.

Sometimes, Apple prefers form over function. There may be some benefits to a glossy screen, but the glare is a killer, in my book.
  • Reply 7 of 150
    AG is the only way to go if you have lots of sunlight around. The glossy is nice only if you don't.
  • Reply 8 of 150
    ituomasituomas Posts: 35member
    I seriously hope this will happen. I love the matte screen on my Early 2008 MacBook Pro. I did have one of the unibody models for some time but couldn't stand the reflections so I switched.

The MacBook Air's glossy is totally bearable, in turn.
  • Reply 9 of 150
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Didn't I tell you?

(you're welcome solipism )
  • Reply 10 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Waiting for the "told you so" from our favorite whipping boy.

I'm waiting for my thank you's.
  • Reply 11 of 150
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    I like the gloss on my 17" and my Air, but the option will be nice because people can finally stop complaining!
  • Reply 12 of 150
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm waiting for my thank you's.

Don't forget it's just a rumour.
  • Reply 13 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Don't forget it's just a rumour.

A rumour who's time has been a long time coming.
  • Reply 14 of 150
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I would certainly take this option if it was offered on the iMac.
  • Reply 15 of 150
    Quote:

Further emboldened, Apple announced in October its new line of unibody notebooks would also forgo matte displays for glossy ones, with the exception of a $50 antiglare option on the pricey 17-inch MacBook Pro. These new displays "provide crisp images and vivid colors which are ideal for viewing photos and movies," Apple said, "and the edge-to-edge cover glass creates a smooth, seamless surface."

That was provided they were LEDs- which the iMac is still not.
  • Reply 16 of 150
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    If this pans out this will be wonderful news.

Eyestrain and headaches, abnormal postures etc to reduce or "see around" the glare is not good for people.

Some people don't have a physical problem with glare, but a lot do.

I like the look of the new glass screens, (repeat for the glossy fan crowd: I like the better colors and contrasts of glassy screens!!) , but the price of glare comes at too much of a high price for those better colors and contrasts. Eliminate the glare and you have won me over.

We old graphic designers have used glassy CRTs for years, we know from experience the bad effects of glare, we didn't have a choice as matte LCD's didn't exist.

I'm glad Apple is realizing quite a lot of people absolutely will not buy a Mac with a glare type screen.

And before you all get started, I have examined all the alternatives:

1: Anti-glare films: Really? on a $3000 designer laptop? They dry out, yellow, crack and peel at the edges.

2: Replace the glossy with a matte screen: $200 and it voids your warranty, if you can get it done for future machines is doubtful.

3: Buy a limited edition $6000 Colorware "Stealth" MacBook Pro w/warranty: Insane, that's why only 10 are going to be made.

4: Switch to Windows or Linux: And lose thousands of dollars in software investment.

5: Hackintosh with a matte Thinkpad: Possible but not likely, security risk.

6: Replace the glare glass with 85% reduced glare "Museum Glass®": Would cost a lot and not completely prevent the glare. But 85% is a good start!

By the way thanks to everyone who has been working hard to bring this GLARE issue in front of Apple.

Click the link in my signature to make your glare problems known to Apple, this will be good for all. Even those who like the glassy displays, because by elliminating the glare and reflections the glassy screens will look A LOT BETTER!!

Just click the other link in my signature to see how much better antireflective glass can be.

I think it would be innovative, fashionable and trendsetting of Apple to have the best possible screen possible, if this means using Museum Glass® or another type of reflection/glare reducing glass. While all the other cheapo computer makers have glare glass screens, Apple's won't be.

EDIT:

I've found some prices for this anti-reflective glass from a framers website to give some idea of the costs:

Note these are retail prices, not wholesale or volume purchases:

Quote:

Additional Cost For AR Reflection Free or Museum Glass

Print Size \tAR Reflection-Free \tMuseum Glass\t

11" x 14" \tadd $65.00 \tadd $80.00\t

16" x 20" \tadd $105.00 \tadd $135.00\t

20" x 25" \tadd $125.00 \tadd $150.00\t

24" x 30" \tadd $125.00 \tadd $150.00\t

30" x 38" \tadd $230.00 \tadd $295.00\t

7" x 21" \tadd $65.00 \tadd $80.00 \t

10" x 30" \tadd $105.00 \tadd $135.00\t

14" x 42" \tadd $235.00 \tadd $295.00\t

17" x 50" \tadd $245.00 \tadd $305.00

Disclaimer: I have no ties to Tru-Vue, Colorware or receive any compensation from any company. Just exploring solutions to the glare issue so I and others can continue using my favorite computing platform.
  • Reply 17 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I would certainly take this option if it was offered on the iMac.

I am now in year 4 waiting to upgrade my iMac. It looks like it may now happen. I think that is why I had such disdain for the iPhone originally when Apple so obviously was adapting it's design for its desktop line to it.
  • Reply 18 of 150
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    That would be most wunderful. I need to order 35 15" notebooks in November. If the anti-glare and no-funeral-frame option is available by then, Apple gets the money and Lenovo looses. Come on Apple, others can offer hundreds of BTO options. Add a dual-HD instead of optical drive option while you are at it...
  • Reply 19 of 150
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Thank you Jesus! Thank you Oprah! Thank you Tom Cruise!
  • Reply 20 of 150
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    This is to ask Apple to offer matte screens. Your comment here most appreciated to move Apple:

http://macmatte.wordpress.com

Thanks.