Key Apple retail exec now shaping Microsoft stores

Comments

• Reply 101 of 136
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyko View Post

It does not matter what Microsoft does or who they hire, they will still be Microsoft. They consume and destroy. Even when they hire Apple employees and execs they still get it wrong because everything has to go through bland Microsoft execs, not the artistic visionaries at Apple. Everything Microsoft creates emulates its former CEO (Bill Gates), no personality, bland, tasteless, unimaginative, etc.

As for Microsoft innovating, that is laughable, they can't even emulate properly [Zune]. Microsoft is always trying to tell us that they innovate instead of emulate. If this isn't emulation, I don't know what is. Microsoft stores intentionally placed near Apple stores, former apple exec hired to design stores. Yeah they totally don't copy Apple. Once again, ZERO personality.

Mmm... Maybe MS cut a deal like BestBuy & will sell Apple products in its stores
  • Reply 102 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I'd love to see an 'enhanced' version of the included image, with a homeless guy pushing his loaded Ghettebago in the general direction of the bathroom. After a refreshing sink-bath he can pay for a copy of Windows Homeless Edition using a large bag of aluminum cans.

ROFLOL... really!
  • Reply 103 of 136
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Exactly. After reading the comments in this thread... just disturbing... it's clear that some are simply miffed at the mere thought that a former Apple employee- one that contributed much to the company's success in advertising and brand recognition over the past decade- is now working for the other side: the eeeeeevil Microsoft. OMG, and Microsoft might just benefit from having his expertise in the same way that Apple did! Now, that's sure to further ruffle the fanboys' feathers too.

I feel you read the posts too seriously. If I say "I think he should burn", it doesn't take a genius to realize that given an opportunity and a lit match I probably wouldn't actually set him on fire.

If you read between the lines I'm actually poking fun at people like you who think we are all fanboy's that would set upon a non believer like some weird freakish sect.

We are actually quite normal people,

Cast off your beige cladding, drink the coolade and join us...
  • Reply 104 of 136
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

My opinion is that Apple just became too greedy and elitist.

In the end what most people want is 'cheap'. Give me cheap any time over quality.

That's why Betamax lost to VHS

That's why 8-tracks lost to the compact cassette.

That's why Apple lost to PCs.

And that's why millions of US and European jobs got lost to China.

You're right. I guess that's why BMW and Audi lost to GM, and why Rolex lost to Casio.
  • Reply 105 of 136
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

This is part of the reason that financial advisor advised investors to sell Microsoft stock fast! This retail store chain is what going to finish them off! I don't care if they got the Apple Store blueprint straight from Steve Jobs himself. If Microsoft cannot make a stable and secure operating system then how well they can do as storefront. Everything Microsoft been selling has been is a MSRP meaning no discounts so don't expect to go to get Windows 7 at a discount. Then what do Microsoft have to show? Xbox 360, Zune, Microsoft Windows and Office? The one thing Microsoft cannot copy from another company is integrity. I wish they would open a store here in Houston, I send everybody who has a a 360 with RROD or the New E-74 failure straight to them!

Totally off-topic, but how do you like your LED display? I've got a 24-inch Samsung TOC display myself, and I love it, but seeing that 24-inch LED display in the Apple Store the other day made me drool all over the counter. It looked absolutely stunning.

On-topic:

I don't see the point of an MS retail store. At all. They have 87% market penetration, the first thing people see in the comp section at a Best Buy.

Oh wait. It's BECAUSE they have 87% penetration (down from 97%) and they want to repair their image and look "cool" and sophisticated, even though their lousy OS runs on every piece of junkware known to man.

I think shipping products people actually WANT might serve them better in the long run.
  • Reply 106 of 136
    Quote:

You will find many posts as to why Apple lost to Microsoft. The Internet is full of analyses.

In the end what most people want is 'cheap'. Give me cheap any time over quality.

People are obsessed with 'deals' - yet unable to understand the full and long-term repercussions.

So people effectively constantly make wrong decisions. Which seem like a good idea at the time.

It all comes out in the wash, my friend. Except Apple lost the desktop battle, but is winning the tech war. You don't need to sell your product to everyone and their dog to make an impact and change the game. And we're seeing more and more people understand that paying more today will ultimately get you greater returns in the long run.
  • Reply 107 of 136
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Since the emergence of PC video screens being mounted vertically and used to display flight information at airports, I've chuckled on several occasions when I've seen the display boards showing the Blue Screen Of Death.

Just think, Microsoft is going to give us a whole store to display that.....should be lovely!

many of those large aiport displays are run by Mac Pros

http://jkontherun.files.wordpress.co...lays_mac_p.jpg
  • Reply 108 of 136
    Quote:

You will find many posts as to why Apple lost to Microsoft. The Internet is full of analyses.

I knew Apple at the beginning... they were always greedy and elitist. And those are attributes that were responsible for their success. Apple set out to make a profit and to build products that people wanted [to buy].

Competitors, of the day, were mainly hobbyists, who found themselves in business. But they were more driven by the technology than by the "business" of technology (e.g. to stay in business).

Quote:

I think it had a lot more to do with recording capacity-- you couldn't record most movies on a single BetaMax tape and you had to be there to switch the tape.

Quote:

Here, convenience was the reason... how many 8-track cartridges could you slip into your shirt (or Jeans) pocket?

Quote:

Those two topics have a lot more factors driving them than just quality vs price.

For example, a large part of the success of the PC was due to its acceptance by the business world. And, that had a lot more to do with the logo on the [original] box: the IBM/PC.

As for jobs lost to China: China makes both Macs and Dells, so were the jobs lost to "quality" or "cheap". Maybe it has something to do with the manufacturing environment (infrastructure, unions and wages, regulations, ecology, etc.).

Quote:

People are obsessed with 'deals' - yet unable to understand the full and long-term repercussions.

So people effectively constantly make wrong decisions. Which seem like a good idea at the time.

Often, price is the only consideration: you need something and price means the difference between having something or nothing.

If you have the advantage of being able to spend more for quality, it may very well cost less over the long run (usability, productivity, maintenance, resale). Then, there is the satisfaction of owning and using and enjoying a quality product.
  • Reply 109 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I can tell you from having had a company that sold some of its products through dealers, that you NEVER undercut your distributers and dealers. They get mad. Real mad. They even stop carrying your products. I never did that, but I know others who did. Not good. Even MS isn't immune from this.

I have first hand experience with Microsoft doing exactly this... except much worse.

Microsoft promoted a future product and offered discounts and special priority treatment, if you signed up in advance through any of their dealers (no pre-pay, no deposit). When the product first became available for sale, it didn't make it down the supply cain to the dealers. For the first month or so, the product was only available by direct purchase from Microsoft. In fact, several of our customers told us they were contacted directly by Microsoft (using information from the dealer signup). By the time we got our [large] dealer shipment, many of our signups had already purchased directly from Microsoft.

I guess "special priority treatment" meant bypass the retailer... I never trusted Microsoft again!
  • Reply 110 of 136
    So, if I am a Windows user, what is my incentive to go to one of these Microsoft stores ?

...if I want to buy software and/or accessories, I'll go to BestBuy or use NewEgg.

...since they will not be selling PCs at the Microsoft stores, I'll go to BestBuy or use NewEgg to buy a PC.

...if I bought a PC from BestBuy, I'll go to BestBuy with any questions and/or service that I may need for that PC...or even return it

...the same applies if I were to buy an XBox or Zune...
  • Reply 111 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Microsoft would better spend its time buying influence in Washington, since a lot of federal money is being handed out. New contracts, "broadband," etc.

Also, MS ought to be engaging in investment hedge funding kind of like top universities do. Windows is a great legal shelter for the extraction of society's wealth. MSFT should cement its power through finance. The reality is, MSFT software is not the real story. MS is a marketing and legal innovator. To that, it should add "financial." This is a great time for them to invest, perhaps through a subsidiary Microsoft Capital. This is something they could do to actually make money. To just sit around and tweak their billing and licensing for years and years is just lazy, and it's a mountain whose summit they have reached.

Interesting take! With their track record, they should offer mortgages, mortgage guarantees, and maybe derivatives...

Think of the possibilities:

-- General Microsoft Acceptance Corporation

-- MicroWide Finance

-- FannyMic [sp]
  • Reply 112 of 136
    I know, I know, don't feed the trolls...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

OK. I forgot. They have the AppleTV and a 1 button mouse.

So, you ARE an uninformed shill probably getting paid by M$ to post FUD on an Apple rumors site!

Quote:

Microsoft's OS margins are not even close to paper thin. They make a very good margin on it.

So Microsoft is hosing it's customers huh? I knew that they were way over priced... you should try out Apple, you get what you pay for with them.

I don't get people that go online, search for a web site about something they know little about, but still hate, then register and start commenting about how much so and so sucks.

The only thing I can think of is either low self esteem (attention) or they are being paid to do so.
  • Reply 113 of 136
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Hey iPhone guy, get over yourself. Notice that Mel has not taken you to task about your spelling. You could take some class lessons from him.

One could see this coming a mile away from iPhone1982......
  • Reply 114 of 136
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If they don't do very well at this, it will be seen as a failure.

That's some great insight!
  • Reply 115 of 136
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    No matter what you guys say, this will be good for Microsoft. It's been incredibly successful for Apple already.

I think the key element here is showing people what a Windows PC is capable of. So many people are completely oblivious to the potential their computer has, or they are unaware of easier methods of performing everyday tasks.
  • Reply 116 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

That's some great insight!

Not doing very well does not necessarily mean "failure."

But the fact they are obviously aping Apple's model (and that they apparently want to set up locations right next to Apple Stores) sets them up for exactly that conclusion.
  • Reply 117 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I think the key element here is showing people what a Windows PC is capable of. So many people are completely oblivious to the potential their computer has, or they are unaware of easier methods of performing everyday tasks.

That's funny.
  • Reply 118 of 136
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:

I would apologize if you had put a source reference in your Article.

If you don't post a source or any information where you pulled the information from, you could have pulled the information from anywhere. If it was a reputable site I could have done my own research without pointing out your flaws to the article.

Apology is now in order.

Fine we are all waiting for your Apology!
  • Reply 119 of 136
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

What do Microsoft have to show?

It's the fatal flaw in Microsoft's overall business model. Since their business is built around partners, mostly computer OEMs, how do they showcase their own products without offending or cannibalizing the sales of their partners? Have a shelf of software, Zune and XBox tables, and a wall of keyboards and mouses? Any "ideal" Windows system simultaneously declares other systems "less than ideal". So who chooses that ideal? They could sell off the rights as a marketing opportunity -- at the risk of trumpeting a lame system and driving away more potential buyers. Do they stock XBox games and risk a rift (or price war) with game retailers? Maybe some annointed gaming and computer accessories? Again, unlike Apple, they risk hurting far more hardware partners.

I understand Microsoft's desire to do *something* in the face of stiffer competition on all fronts, but I have to wonder: What were they thinking when they decided on stores? Maybe the "Fire up your copiers" comments really aren't exaggerations: "Well, Apple has stores, and they do well. We should have stores!" [headdesk]
  • Reply 120 of 136
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I was wondering about that from the first post; but then I remembered this is Apple fan-boy site (with all the respect for those reasonable members).

Yeah, it's so funny. From the vitriol you hear from them, you'd think some posters here owned Apple Corp.

Then again this is the country where people develop deep, lifelong, loyalties to professional sports teams. You know, those for-profit corporations whose m.o. is to get you to develop some emotional attachment with them so that you buy their overpriced tickets and merchandise, pay for $7 hotdogs, and heck even eagerly pay taxes to gift them with free billion-dollar stadiums. Sometimes capitalism is a wonderful thing.