Key Apple retail exec now shaping Microsoft stores

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 136
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Pic of Steve Jobs stained glass window at http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...obs_christ.jpg
  • Reply 122 of 136
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Yeah, it's so funny. From the vitriol you hear from them, you'd think some posters here owned Apple Corp.

Then again this is the country where people develop deep, lifelong, loyalties to professional sports teams. You know, those for-profit corporations whose m.o. is to get you to develop some emotional attachment with them so that you buy their overpriced tickets and merchandise, pay for $7 hotdogs, and heck even eagerly pay taxes to gift them with free billion-dollar stadiums. Sometimes capitalism is a wonderful thing.

Except that for years now, Apple has not only given Apple "fanboys" a good reason to be fanboys, but has proven their views right.

This is not some sports team in a perpetual slump, or a company that has loyalist holdouts until "that day" comes when they might be successfull and it never really materializes.

Apple is changing the face of tech, right here, right now. And they're consistent. Year after year. All that so-called misplaced loyalty . . . was never misplaced. Apple has shone brightly in nearly ALL areas for the past few years, even from the beginning of this decade. Apple fanboyism is actually justified and wholly understandable.

Everyone is following Apple. From operating systems to smartphones to App Store business models. This isn't a new phenomenon, either. And you want to question why Apple has so many fans?????
  • Reply 123 of 136
    traysertrayser Posts: 7member
    Microsoft opens its stores for 'Window Shopping'
  • Reply 124 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Yeah, it's so funny. From the vitriol you hear from them, you'd think some posters here owned Apple Corp.

Then again this is the country where people develop deep, lifelong, loyalties to professional sports teams. You know, those for-profit corporations whose m.o. is to get you to develop some emotional attachment with them so that you buy their overpriced tickets and merchandise, pay for $7 hotdogs, and heck even eagerly pay taxes to gift them with free billion-dollar stadiums. Sometimes capitalism is a wonderful thing.

And you're saying that's not true everywhere? Can you find a team that doesn't have major sponsors anywhere? Can you find a place where lifelong loyalties to a team isn't found?

We don't shoot referees here when we think thy make a bad call as happens sometimes in South America. We don't have fans banned from other countries as has England. We're actually quite quiet here with our sports when compared to most other places.
  • Reply 125 of 136
    cubefancubefan Posts: 53member
    MS should build as many expensive stores as possible on the most expensive real estate, if they can afford to make a lo$$ on an XBox, why should their store$ be any different?
  • Reply 126 of 136
    cubefancubefan Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Considering 30 years have passed and Apple Users Hate Window OS & Server Software and everything Microsoft has done on the Notebook, Desktop & Server arena and Apple is still at 8% market share in the US and not even on the charts in the rest of the World I'd say their own ideas are working just fine.

Apple has a phone and a music player. They should expand on that. The gaming industry is huge in the under 20 year old market.

OK. I forgot. They have the AppleTV and a 1 button mouse.

Reality check, mighty mouse is a TWO button mouse with a few other tricks besides, get your facts right.

A proper UI doesn't need a two button mouse for everything, an iPhone doesn't have a mouse, a finger will do, a pair of fingers does UI control other 'innovators' haven't thought of.

Real Innovation is something M$ don't do, IMHO, if its not bought in, the ideas are copied and the monopoly position exploited to eliminate competition...
  • Reply 127 of 136
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Not that I think these stores will be any good, but there's nothing wrong with taking a showroom approach and not actually selling anything in order to push the brand. Years ago, Nikon had a showroom in New York City where they provided high quality information and demonstrations, but you couldn't actually buy anything.

But Apple locations are expensive and if Microsoft emulates this, they're going to be spending a lot of money with no commensurate return in revenue. But this is typical for the (failing) retail industry. Circuit City, for one, put stores wherever Best Buy was and vice-versa. On Fifth Avenue in New York City they were literally right next door to each other.

But yet one more place to get free Wi-Fi from? (Presumably). I'm fine with that. Let's see if these stores are still around in five years.

And for the record, post-employment non-competes are illegal in many states. Courts don't look kindly on not letting people work regardless of how much they made in their previous job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhone1982

Considering 30 years have passed and Apple Users Hate Window OS & Server Software and everything Microsoft has done on the Notebook, Desktop & Server arena and Apple is still at 8% market share in the US and not even on the charts in the rest of the World I'd say their own ideas are working just fine.

Why do people compare share for Apple, which is a hardware company that happens to come with an operating system, to Microsoft, which is essentially an OS company? It makes no sense. It's like comparing Sony to Dolby. And even if you compare Apple to Dell or HP, you're still talking apples and oranges because Apple is not after the low margin, low-end mass market. Apple is not Ford, it's BMW. BMW knows it's never going to sell as many cars as Ford -- it doesn't want to.

Look at Apple's financials. The worst world economy since microcomputers were invented and Apple is thriving, has no debt and mountains of cash. Believe me, HP and Dell would die to be Apple.
  • Reply 128 of 136
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Ironically, the bulk of Mac users would be the last flocking to a religious Totem like Roman Catholicism.

Windows PC lovers are the Born Again Masses.

Non-windows PC lovers are basically Atheistic in their view for systems to be devalued to the price a homeless person can buy one.
  • Reply 129 of 136
    melamela Posts: 4member
    I'm new to this so don't be too harsh on me, but any chance Microsoft could be planning their own line of sleek, powerful, 'premium' computers that work seamlessly with Windows 7 bec. the hardware is controlled? If they really want to copy Apple, why not go this route? Microsoft stores would be a great place to launch these new computers. Apple just sells BMWs (Macs), but why can't Microsoft have Chevys (Dell, HP, etc) and Cadillacs (??) ? Don't say Sony fills this role, because they're junk as I found out the hard way. You want the widespread compatibility of Windows but the support, quality, and seamlessness, of a Mac - here you go.

I love my MBP, but this would probably at least grab my attention.
  • Reply 130 of 136
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mela View Post

I'm new to this so don't be too harsh on me, but any chance MicroSoft could be planning their own line of sleek, powerful, 'premium' computers that work seamlessly with Windows 7 bec. the hardware is controlled?

No need to be hard on you, that's a perfectly logical speculation. In fact, it's so obvious as to be revolutionary. Those of us who have been at this a long time have long ago given up even entertaining such an idea as being completely out of character for MS. But with your fresh eyes I am beginning to wonder myself: why not?

On the other hand, while MS could make hardware that would be optimized for Windows 7, they would still have to drag along all those clone makers who depend upon Windows to work on all their products. So while they might be able to create a BMW brand, they won't save any time or money in the process because they still have to support all those Chevys and Kias out there.
  • Reply 131 of 136
    melamela Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

On the other hand, while MS could make hardware that would be optimized for Windows 7, they would still have to drag along all those clone makers who depend upon Windows to work on all their products.

Good point. But it may be worth it for them in order to break into Apple's market. Dell and others would still be competing among themselves for the business/mainstream sales, so they can't afford to just relax and let Microsoft pull them along. It would still be up to them to build acceptable machines that run Windows reasonably well, and Microsoft could provide them the same level of support they always have.
  • Reply 132 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mela View Post

I'm new to this so don't be too harsh on me, but any chance Microsoft could be planning their own line of sleek, powerful, 'premium' computers that work seamlessly with Windows 7 bec. the hardware is controlled? If they really want to copy Apple, why not go this route? Microsoft stores would be a great place to launch these new computers. Apple just sells BMWs (Macs), but why can't Microsoft have Chevys (Dell, HP, etc) and Cadillacs (??) ? Don't say Sony fills this role, because they're junk as I found out the hard way. You want the widespread compatibility of Windows but the support, quality, and seamlessness, of a Mac - here you go.

I love my MBP, but this would probably at least grab my attention.

It's always possible, but it would surely drive the computer makers to push Linux even harder. You don't compete with your customers.
  • Reply 133 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ikjeft1b View Post

Correct. I used to program ATMs for a living. Although new deployments are (unfortunately) using Windows, many established ATMs use OS/2, and financial institutions already using OS/2 are continuing to deploy OS/2 rather than switch to Windows because of concerns over security and licensing fees.

I'm a warehouse of useless information.

Glad to see that I got that right though.
  • Reply 134 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

OMG Micro$oft should name their new store "Bing"

If 'Bing' = 'Because it's not Google',

then;

The stores would be named 'Bina',

= 'Because it's not Apple'.

Really, all of this verbal folderol, over such a trivial matter

as M$ secretly bleeding to death. It reminds me of the

classic Monty Python sequence in which the helmeted knight,

after having his arms and legs chopped off by the competition,

persists in 'trying' and finally says; "I still have my head!".

Another way to look at it is via the speculation that a Brontosaurus,

which had a tiny brain in its head and another brain in its hindquarters,

would keep lumbering on after an accurate 'head-shot'. But in this case,

the wound is self-inflicted. The Great Lumbering Beast has clearly been

reduced to autonomic function; and it will keep lumbering (with a few

stumbles, for sure) until its supply of energy (eg, money stockpiled)

runs out.

While most of these discussions center on the supposed 'war' between

M$ and Apple, few seem to take into account just how Linux has

showed up 'just in time' to cover the truly 'low cost/cheap' end of

the market. And M$ does NOT want this fact to be seen; thus, the

slight-of-hand by M$.

The ONLY way that M$ will 'succeed' is if it produces an OS

which is not only functional, but does not NEED a plethora

of security add-ons in order to survive in a networked

world. It is M$ which is responsible for the widespread

assumption that 'the internet' is aswarm with thousands

of hazards, none of which are seen by or bother, for the

most part, either Mac OS or Linux or BSD.

In exactly the same way that many politicians are finding

'the internet' to be a constant source of embarrassment,

M$ is again and again caught with its 'pants down', and

I do not see this trend stopping any day soon. I look forward

to the 'new M$ stores' and the eventual, concurrent stories

which will be for me, high entertainment.

Apple is not a threat to M$... Linux is not a threat to M$...

only M$ is a threat to M$. And what a threat it is!

==GP==
  • Reply 135 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

"Microsoft will be paying for expensive leases but won't necessarily recoup its investment through actual sales."

How can Microsoft possibly afford to do that? Oh, I forgot, their products are way overpriced.

Microsoft products are overpriced!??? WTF??? Have you bought ANYTHING from Apple???

Everything Apple makes is overpriced, overhyped, and will burn or explode about a month after you buy it.

The only people dumb enough to buy they're products, or let along shop at an Apple store... Are emo kids whose parents are willing to pay 'the apple tax' so they're creepy emo kids can feel like they fit into an elite group of individuals who have shiny, colored computer cases (that btw... have the exact same components as a pc) and only need a computer to make banners in photoshop.
  • Reply 136 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crankenstein View Post

Microsoft products are overpriced!??? WTF??? Have you bought ANYTHING from Apple???

Everything Apple makes is overpriced, overhyped, and will burn or explode about a month after you buy it.

The only people dumb enough to buy they're products, or let along shop at an Apple store... Are emo kids whose parents are willing to pay 'the apple tax' so they're creepy emo kids can feel like they fit into an elite group of individuals who have shiny, colored computer cases (that btw... have the exact same components as a pc) and only need a computer to make banners in photoshop.

Either play nice, or you're gone.