Premium-priced computer market dominated by Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philbot View Post

mainly due to the fact that Macs are too expensive.

Lets have a $700 headless Mac to bridge the gap between the Mini and the Mac Pro.

Dude

Dude this prove's that apple is number one in computer sales in the market where it chooses to compete. This 91 percent is off, I am sure maybe 75 percent or so .

That extra expense you perceive does not factor in all the true things apple can do while the dell is underpriced and underpowered and you have to spend hundreds more to get your cheap dell to even work . And hundreds more on virus protection.

Apple's WHITE PLASTIC $900 MB beats out any 1200 fully stocked VISTA DELL over a 3 to 5 yr. peridot

• Reply 22 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

ah the price for osx. It's no wonder they are posting profits seeing as how they are making a killing off their inflated pricing.

Personally, iLife is worth at least $100 for me.

Incidentally, if I thought the price was inflated, I would not buy a Mac. I (and millions like me) obviously don't think so. But I can understand why some people think Macs are too expensive.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... The average computer sells for $701, but separating Windows PCs from Macs shows a huge disparity. While the average Windows machine in June sold for $515, the average Apple machine came in at $1,400.

In this economy, it's clear that price matters -- to an extent. This week, Apple reported a record third quarter, bolstered by new lower prices on its entire line of MacBooks. The company sold 2.6 million Macs during the quarter, ushering in its best-ever June quarter.

Even with its premium prices, Apple has managed to grow its market share of computers that cost $1,000 or more. This as Microsoft has taken aim at the company's prices, calling it the "Apple tax."

I, for one, am glad that I waited and purchased my iMac (with an education discount). I only have to buy software for the Mac like, Acrobat, FileMaker and maybe MS-Office, and I can do away with the Virtual Machine and go OSX totally. I see great value in the future for my iMac, after having been a Windows guy for the better part of 20 years.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Incidentally, if I thought the price was inflated, I would not buy a Mac. I (and millions like me) obviously don't think so. But I can understand why some people think Macs are too expensive.

PC users take a very short-sighted view and don't make a value judgment based on what their time is worth (i.e., productivity). When you factor that into the equation, Apple wins hands down....even at twice the price!
  • Reply 25 of 84
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edwardryu View Post

so you think that shopper who seek for price is stupid? what is it? this time, economy is big matter. everybody tries to save money no matter what. as a matter of fact, not all PC is cheaper or ugly, ey go to apple store or other electronic malls to buy more accessaries than PC users. actually they are willing to pay for. so which side more spending money, huh? I don't know where did you pick that wrong information up?

YOU win

this post is the most full of bullsnot this year ;

re=write it and break each of your points down and i will respond to show you apple is far cheaper stronger better faster safer greener on and on . Look its only 2 machines we talk about

a dell

a apple

leave the emotion out please

I await your reply.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

I really only use iPhoto and iWeb on any kind of regular basis, but even so, it's worth at least $100 to have these these tools, and not to have to sweat third-party solutions that don't work as well.

Quote:

Yup, the basis rule of consumption which seems to be so poorly understood -- if you buy it, it's not too expensive. It's only too expensive if you choose not to buy it because of price.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:

you said adobe preview? well, that's the first time it comes free with mac. that's maybe adobe reader. Apple is not bundled major software if it is not made by Apple like iLife. so your information is wrong. my mac didn't come with preview. I don't know why you call it preview.

Preview is an Apple product, a part of Mac OS X. It has capabilities which on the PC side requires the full version of Adobe Acrobat. And every single Mac comes with that. Feel free to take some points which are actually, um, points.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    In many ways, it's so hard to equate value.

Greater durability and style are harder to quantify.

The Adobe Acrobat story above is a clearer example, but there are so many things...

iLife programs are such a delight and ease to use.

The temporary but hopefully long-term absence of malware is so great (how do you quantify loss of your data?)

Having used Apple products since the Apple II+ (except some of those old horrible PowerPC desktops), Apple products have been not only intuitive, but a delight to own.

I'm sure you pay more up front. But over the life of the product, though, my computing life has just been so much easier, and at least a break-even investment even beyond the unquantifiable.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

YOU win

this post is the most full of bullsnot this year ;

re=write it and break each of your points down and i will respond to show you apple is far cheaper stronger better faster safer greener on and on . Look its only 2 machines we talk about

a dell

a apple

leave the emotion out please

I await your reply.

Why bother? Some people are destined to live in a DLL world! I bet edward thinks horses sleep standing up, too!
  • Reply 30 of 84
    kerrynkerryn Posts: 87member
    Quote:

you said adobe preview? well, that's the first time it comes free with mac. that's maybe adobe reader. Apple is not bundled major software if it is not made by Apple like iLife. so your information is wrong. my mac didn't come with preview. I don't know why you call it preview. plus, did I spend more money because I got PC? NO. actually you will spend more money for software if you are not depend on Apple software. there are few Apple software more than $300.

Okay, I find your response less than coherent. Perhaps you need to slow down on the caffeine.

When the poster refers to Preview he is referring to the built in tool in OSX that lets you see documents, media, etc quickly and easily without the need to open the actual app. Preview allows you to view Adobe PDF files without the need for Adobe Acrobat. The fact the poster stated that you an annotate these PDF files in news to me and I think that this pretty good for software that is part of the OS.

Does Apple provide you all the software you would ever need? Of course not. But to my experience it does provide a much more solid experience on the basics when you first get your machine.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

Does Apple provide you all the software you would ever need? Of course not. But to my experience it does provide I much more solid experience on the basics when you first get your machine.

Well said.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

He may mean it to be directed at those users that already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse from a windows unit and you are just replacing the box with an Apple.

But I see your point, too.

I think Apple's approach is to keep everything simple. My iMac is a marvel of design, I have a wireless apple mouse, wireless apple keyboard and only the one cable (power) coming out of the back. Nothing else on my desk.

When I go over to my friend's house and see the unsightly PC with cables and dust on and at the back of his desk, it really is ugly! IMHO

Yes the iMac with bluetooth keyboard and mouse can be a pretty clean install - but then you might add a printer - a DSl or cable modem - even if you wireless network - there is still more to the story than just the power cord.

In my case i have 4 Macs and 1 PC with 4 printers, 2 scanners, two external monitors attached to notebooks, Airport Extreme router with external hard drive, Airport Express upstairs, wireless trackball on one notebook, wired on the other, about 15 other USB devices including iPhone, iPod, joystick and other gaming devices, Zip drive, external backup hard drives on two of the notebooks, etc, plus a secondary switch on the network with cable runs upstairs and to a workbench where I have an extra keyboard monitor mouse setup for working on computers for friends and family. So while I have 4 of 5 computers as Macs I have lots of cable clutter.

I did setup an iMac for a friend as his only computer but he does have a printer and a headset and a wired keyboard and mouse and ethernet running to a cable modem so a few wires.

It would be nice if more Apple notebooks had docking stations - my Thinkpad docking station is very convenient and moves all the clutter to the back of the machine instead of sticking out the sides.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Not everyone has the luxury of waiting until they can afford one. However at the same time, this is exactly what I do except for I plan ahead. If I know I'm gonna want/need a new Mac in the coming months I start saving.

So you do what you belittle? That makes sense. That's exactly what saving is:
    Quote:

waiting until they can afford one.

• Reply 34 of 84
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Then they should buy a PC, and get on with it.

Let them eat cake!
  • Reply 35 of 84
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

ah the price for osx. It's no wonder they are posting profits seeing as how they are making a killing off their inflated pricing.

But that's my opinion. I'll take a laptop with equal or better hardware specs running vista or xp for much less any day.

Won't ever do it again.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Let them eat cake!

That is funny (although, interestingly, Marie Antoinette never actually said it!).
  • Reply 37 of 84
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Why didn't you use one of the free alternatives on Windows, such as OpenOffice? I would have saved you a trip back to your hotel...

Probably because in the corporate world you are not allowed to install software on a company machine.

I laugh every time I go to visit one of my main clients. In the marketing department they have a Mac but nobody knows how to use it. They bought it for freelance designers to use. It has everything on it and it is wide open to the network unlike their hobbled PCs. I can do anything I like including get into supposedly private areas of the LAN because their clueless IT dept. uses some Windows specific authorization which the Mac just skirts right by.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Ok, so then what? Once you add a 24" display, keyboard and mouse your back up to $1,000 or more.

Except that the next time he buys a computer, he doesn't have to re-purchase the display, keyboard or mouse. He may well already have such a display. Displays become obsolete more slowly than computers, for many. I'm a laptop man. But I can understand the argument for the headless Mac. I just don't think they're in the cards.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    traysertrayser Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Absolutely, Somehow the majority of Americans base "value" solely on price. E.g., a $16 blender from Walmart (lasts about a year) is a better value than a $60 Braun blender designed to last 7 years.

The business model is, "make a crap product," sell it cheaply, advertise the hell out of it, make a quick buck and fill up the landfills. Think-McDonalds, Coke, Cereal companies, American Beer companies, GM, Microsoft, Dell, HP, Cold Play, the list goes on and on.

Thank goodness for Apple, Toyota and Honda

Exactly..

Computers have made great progress from fitting in a room to fitting in a person's palm. This has made this high-tech product into a commodity and people have started looking at it simply from price perspective. They treat buying computers like buying bread and milk.

Luckily, the other high tech or complex products (cars, TVs, refrigerators etc) have not changed so dramatically. So people don't complain if a Toyota or Honda is priced twice as much as some low end car.

I have seen quite a few friends who would only buy a Honda car or Bose sound system, but when it comes to laptops, their aim was to buy the cheapest possible one. They say things like, "I have found a $500 laptop at this store, but I am aiming for $400 one".
  • Reply 40 of 84
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Mac are also a much better value because they usually last longer. Half the Dells in our office have had the power supplies go out in 3 years, the Macs, some 6 years old, never a hardware or software issue EVER!

Edit: One thing though is the Dells are usually under the desks with little air circulation. I keep the Macs up on the relatively clean desks. On the floor the housekeeping vacuum cleaners stir up a lot of dust which the fans suck into the computers, so it might not be exactly a fair comparison.