Microsoft suffers worst fiscal year ever while Apple rises

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

if Windows 7 has a bad first month where there are tons of compatibility issues, viruses and bugs it could sink the OS with Vista-like

Well considering the overall positive buzz that is surrounding windows 7, and the way it is out pacing Vista pre-orders (http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/22...manufacturing/), I think Windows 7 will do all right.....but you never know!!! But honestly, Windows 7 is much better than Vista, and assuming (as you said in your post) they've learned their lesson from Vista's compatibility issues, Windows 7 should be a huge success.
  • Reply 22 of 110
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, a "net loss" is certainly different, but a negative value (or one in braces) in the year-over-year comparison column is also "in the red".

I don't know, maybe, but I've never seen that phrase used that way before.
  • Reply 23 of 110
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by natsfan7 View Post

Well considering the overall positive buzz that is surrounding windows 7, and the way it is out pacing Vista pre-orders (http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/22...manufacturing/), I think Windows 7 will do all right.....

I also think that 7 will do alright, just the pre-order argument is weak, as there were no respectable discounts for pre-ordering Vista. 7 is already priced into the stock and the numbers would have to be enormous to make a difference. And I do not see that.

The story here is not who makes more money. A company making almost no hardware and having a de facto monopoly will always outperform the competition. It is on how many ends MS is loosing ground. Pretty much none of their newer businesses is worth a dime and the "old business" remains the life insurance subsidizing everything else. This is no pretty long-term outlook for them.
  • Reply 24 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

no one buys when you know a new product is due.

Since the early 80's, as I recall, this has been the marketing pattern for Microsoft more than any other software vendor ... pre-announce (sometimes years early), pre-hype, hope to stall purchases of competitors products and cripple them. Most other vendors remain somewhat mute when prodded so that current inventory is depleted and they're not forced to "eat crow" when features/performance doesn't materialize in the final release.

When I read about Windows 7, nothing seems to have changed...
  • Reply 25 of 110
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Once accustomed to ever-rising profits, Microsoft has been dealt two blows with both its second quarter of losses in a row and its first-ever annual decline, all at the same time as Apple has had its best non-holiday quarter yet....

Do I have to say it?

• Reply 26 of 110
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

MS's R&D budget is bigger than all of Apple combined. (What comes out of that R&D shop, other than the Word grammar checker, is fodder for another thread.)

Does Microsoft Bob mean anything to you?
  • Reply 27 of 110
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clexman View Post

Microsoft still made tons of money and profits. It is not even close to their worst year ever. They just made less this year than last year for the first time.

This is true.

Quote:

How many times has Apple done that? Lots.

This is misleading and almost a lie. It's been a long, long time since Apple posted less profits year over year than the previous year. As with most things in business it's the trends that count. Apple has been on a spectacular upward trend for ages, Microsoft is switching from a steady but very slow upward trend to a downward trend. That's why it's big news.

Quote:

Apple is still not even close to making more money than MS.

This is a real exaggeration. Apple is actually more profitable on the same amount of sales or expenditures by far, (and has been for a while). It's actually pretty close to making more money than Microsoft.
  • Reply 28 of 110
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

What a horrible article!

MSFT made $3B profits or $0.33 per share. Which is more than AAPL made. Less than Analysts had hoped by $0.02 per share.

A very misleading statement. It's not about volume, it's about growth.
  • Reply 29 of 110
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Well considering the overall positive buzz that is surrounding windows 7, and the way it is out pacing Vista pre-orders (http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/22...manufacturing/), I think Windows 7 will do all right.....but you never know!!! But honestly, Windows 7 is much better than Vista, and assuming (as you said in your post) they've learned their lesson from Vista's compatibility issues, Windows 7 should be a huge success.

i'm not sure that a techrunch link is going to carry much weight around here... i also think the high pre-sale numbers have something to do with the $50 (?) price tag. that's gotta be a low for microsoft and the fact that they're giving it away for use until next year smacks of desperation.

the consensus on windows 7 seems to be that it's good, but also that it's what vista should have been. considering the ongoing delays in getting the bugs out of vista, including the rebranding to windows 7, i think microsoft has work to do to make it a 'huge success'.

of course new computers will have it pre-installed, and since microsoft set the bar so low with the vista debacle, 'success' is almost guaranteed. now they have to convince the millions of business users to upgrade. i think that's the real challenge.

oh - and ballmer need to get fired.
  • Reply 30 of 110
    I'm quite disappointed with the mistakes in this article. Others have pointed them out: ex. "in the red".

I have relied on AppleInsider in the past, and love this website.

I hope the quality control on other articles is higher than on this one.

Cheers.
  • Reply 31 of 110
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    It will likely not be a huge success because in a recession businesses do not like to buy new stuff and they will be hesitant to switch to an OS before it is deemed stable in the general market.

Quote:

• Reply 32 of 110
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

MS's R&D budget is bigger than all of Apple combined. (What comes out of that R&D shop, other than the Word grammar checker, is fodder for another thread.)

With the crap they've been rolling out since 2001, you coulda fooled me!!

MS' concept of R&D begins and ends with the cash register. Or a photocopier.
  • Reply 33 of 110
    If nothing else, trends are trends. And MS has been in a steady downward slide for years now.
  • Reply 34 of 110
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameron (mississauga) View Post

I'm quite disappointed with the mistakes in this article. Others have pointed them out: ex. "in the red".

Care to point out the 'other' mistakes ... or will this be your last post?
  • Reply 35 of 110
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A very misleading statement. It's not about volume, it's about growth.

For MSFT as a stock, it actually isn't about growth. Their P/E is 14, and they actually have a dividend yield. Their primary driver is increasing bottom line rather than increasing top line like a "traditional" technology company. Long-term, I don't think they are a great investment, but in the next 6 months it might not be bad...
  • Reply 36 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Care to point out the 'other' mistakes?

There are none. The numbers are what they are. And they're quite disturbing.
  • Reply 37 of 110
    Quote:

Microsoft licensed a grammar checking technology called

CorrecText

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammar_checker.

It didn't originally spring from internal Microsoft R&D, although they have probably improved on it, since.
  • Reply 38 of 110
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

What a horrible article!

MSFT made $3B profits or $0.33 per share. Which is more than AAPL made.

I would hope that MS made more than Apple, but that's only three times Apple's net profits. After all, their system software is on more than 10x maybe 20x as many computers!

Quote:

Less than Analysts had hoped by $0.02 per share.

Microsoft's or Apple's? Apple netted $1.19 a share, so if they fall short the consensus by a couple pennies, it's not bad.
  • Reply 39 of 110
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I'm afraid that MSFT didn't have it's worst fiscal year ever nor did it "end the year in the red." Those statements would imply their least profitable year and, in fact, a loss for the year. The correct statement would be like this from the WSJ:

"The quarter capped the software giant's first full year of declining sales since it went public more than two decades ago."

"In the red" implies losses, not shrinking profits. There is a big difference. MSFT still made more in profits than Apple this quarter, and this year, even if they didn't do as well as they did last year.

So yeah it's rotten news for MSFT, but most companies would LOVE to be in the position that they're in.

Yeah, that's sort of what I've been thinking. Personally, I really dislike the company. I think they've done far more harm than good. But I think it's tempting to hear some disappointing financials and forget the unbelievable money pumps they have constructed. Those can fuel LOTS of mistakes on their part.

Apple's fought like a champ, and they continue to make gains. But they have to scrabble for every tenth of a percent, it seems. And it's not like the entire core of Windows users is up for grabs.

What's the percentage of current Windows users who simply won't ever look beyond their OS? I suspect it's a substantial majority. Microsoft will find a way to monetize them, and keep them in the fold.
  • Reply 40 of 110
    jcassarajcassara Posts: 39member
    ... that doesn't want to admit it's sick.

One more time: remove two layers of middle management and replace Steve Ballmer. Microsoft, you're on your way to becoming another Commodore. Don't let it happen.