Nintendo warns iPhone may damage its sales

Comments

• Reply 61 of 239
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No, I am saying that Sonic used to be an exclusive, and that ended well for Sega didn't it

Again, so you're saying that Sonic wouldn't bring anything to Apple if it was an exclusive? Because Sonic didn't make Sega fail as much as didn't save it.

Do you think the iPhone needs saving as a gaming platform?
  • Reply 62 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride View Post

Heh, this proves how much Apple fans actually know about the game industry...

Microsoft fans already went over this years ago before the first Xbox came around. If Apple wants to get into the gaming industry seriously, then they can buy a few studios, but that does not guarantee them killer app content. There have been times when hostile takeovers have resulted in a departure of the influential people that built the reputation of certain studios. Third party developers are still king. Nor does Apple have any realistic chance in getting into the Japanese gaming market scene by buying up that country's best studios either.

What you don't know abut the industry is that it doesn't matter. Companies will move to the platform because of sales. The only reason why a company can get a studio to give them exclusives is because of potential sales. If there is another company that has a large base, and they see a large potential there, then the other company won't get an exclusive.

There are, as we all know a lot of major studios, including the biggest, that won't sign exclusive contracts, because they don't want to be tied down to one company.

The exclusive contracts are in the minority.

And who knows, maybe Apple will do that.
  • Reply 63 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yes, I can just see Sonic jumping ship to another company. I wonder what kind of non-compete he signed and what his lockout period is.

What do you mean? Sonic is not locked to one console at the moment

Quote:

And it worked for MS. Notice who is the #2 console today? It's not Sony. And Halo was killer app content that MS purchased by buying Bungie. They bought Ensemble but disbanded it (WTF?). They bought Rare and it paid off for them...or are you going to tell me Perfect Dark Zero suxxored? Meh...folks leave companies all the time. After you get bought by MS the term is "cashing out" to do it over again. Some folks do, some don't and MGS certainly had it's ups and downs in terms of playing nice with devs.

Well considering the PS2 is still for sale, that would make the Wii the #2 console in sales numbers.

Quote:

If Apple get serious about games, it will buy 1st and 2nd party game devs. Why? Because it's the cost of doing business to get exclusives. If it really wants Sonic, it can likely buy Sega Sammy.

That was EA's idea as well, how did they go with Rockstar?

Quote:

Plus, Apple doesn't want to break into the Japanese market all that much. It's lived with lackluster japanese sales for a long time with the Mac and is US centric.

Hmm, you don't understand the game market at all, do you? Because if Apple continues with their US centric nature they will hit major problems.
  • Reply 64 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There's Pokemon stuff in the games and music sections of the App Store. I haven't looked to see exactly what it is.

But I'm sure that his friend with the DS will be jealous that he can't watch the latest Pokemon movie on it as can his friend with the Touch.

No, you will not be playing Pokemon games (like Pokemon Diamond, Pearl or Platinum) on the iPod touch or iPhone in any official capacity anytime soon, if ever.

And actually, in Japan, the Pokemon movies are out on DS cartridges for portable viewing. The GBA also received video Pokemon content a few years ago. And that's assuming the iPod touch would be the only avenue one would have to watch the show. There's always DVDs and Youtube.
  • Reply 65 of 239
    Quote:

Square-Enix has sold over 3 Million copies of Dragon Quest IX in Japan for DS in three weeks.

Nintendo doesn't need these studios you speak of.

That's a good way to say you're wrong without actually doing it.
  • Reply 66 of 239
    Quote:

Again, so you're saying that Sonic wouldn't bring anything to Apple if it was an exclusive? Because Sonic didn't make Sega fail as much as didn't save it.

Can you try that again in English.

Quote:

Do you think the iPhone needs saving as a gaming platform?

Well considering that the iPhone is twice the price of the PS3, yes I do.
  • Reply 67 of 239
    Quote:

No, you will not be playing Pokemon games (like Pokemon Diamond, Pearl or Platinum) on the iPod touch or iPhone in any official capacity anytime soon, if ever.

And actually, in Japan, the Pokemon movies are out on DS cartridges for portable viewing. The GBA also received video Pokemon content a few years ago. And that's assuming the iPod touch would be the only avenue one would have to watch the show. There's always DVDs and Youtube.

Yeah, and Japan is a much smaller market, and I can tell you that movies on the DS, from what I've seen with my daughter's, stink.
  • Reply 68 of 239
    Quote:

So what? Neither Nintendo's or Sony's devices will be able to play anything for Apple's machines either.

More their loss than ours.

Quote:

Square-Enix has sold over 3 Million copies of Dragon Quest IX in Japan for DS in three weeks.

Nintendo doesn't need these studios you speak of.

Quote:

Typical of you, it you say it you are right, if someone else says it, they are wrong.
  • Reply 69 of 239
    Quote:

That's a joke, right?

When the PS3 does everything the iPhone does, come back and say that again.

And it costs more than the Touch.
  • Reply 70 of 239
    Quote:

What you don't know abut the industry is that it doesn't matter. Companies will move to the platform because of sales. The only reason why a company can get a studio to give them exclusives is because of potential sales. If there is another company that has a large base, and they see a large potential there, then the other company won't get an exclusive.

And here I was thinking it was due to the large wad of money they got
  • Reply 71 of 239
    Quote:

Typical of you, it you say it you are right, if someone else says it, they are wrong.

All you do here is negative. I suppose that anything you say must be taken as support for that.
  • Reply 72 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

There are, as we all know a lot of major studios, including the biggest, that won't sign exclusive contracts, because they don't want to be tied down to one company.

The exclusive contracts are in the minority.

And who knows, maybe Apple will do that.

What you fail to realize is that Nintendo and Sony can certainly lure developers on the iPhone platform to its systems as well. Like you said, there are no exclusives on board.

Quote:

Can you show me an App Store game by an exclusive studio that has generated the same line-up frenzy that only the iPhone has done for Apple in recent years? Dragon Quest IX did that a few weeks ago, and Monster Hunter hits the Wii tomorrow here. I'll buy you an App that's $4.99 or less if you do.
  • Reply 73 of 239
    Quote:

The prospect of Apple buying into a Japanese company like Sega is even more ridiculous than Sonic's ability to sell game systems.

Just like when Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo. Oh what fun Nintendo had with that.

Sonic, by the way, enjoys a lot of success on Nintendo systems these days.

Microsoft was rumored to be thinking of buying Sega in 2002 and then again in 2008. It's not impossible. It's simply a matter of is it worth the effort.

And I can see Nintendo making it's own offer as a defensive move. Sega would be a great 2nd party studio for a few years to jumpstart AAA exclusive titles on the iPhone ecosystem.
  • Reply 74 of 239
    Quote:

And here I was thinking it was due to the large wad of money they got

They get some money up front. But if sales aren't good, the next time the contract comes up for renewal, they won't.
  • Reply 75 of 239
    Quote:

That's a joke, right?

When the PS3 does everything the iPhone does, come back and say that again.

And it costs more than the Touch.

What do you mean? The comparison of the iPhone price to the PS3? If so, no, it is true to by the iPhone outright is twice the price of the PS3.

The only thing the PS3 doesn't do that the iPhone does is makes cell calls. How does the iPhone go playing blu-ray movies?

The 32GB iPod touch is $399 in the US, the PS3 is cheaper than that.
  • Reply 76 of 239
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I own a DS and iPod touch. I game on both but they address two different needs.

The games on the iPod touch are good filler. If I have 5 minutes with nothing to do then something like Flight Control or Fieldrunners fills the gap nicely.

However, the DS gets used more regularly for proper gaming sessions. If I have a long train or air journey, the DS comes out. It's more ergonomic to hold for long periods of time and has a wider variety of "hardcore" games. So far there's nothing on the iPod touch/iPhone that comes close to the best DS games (Mario Kart, Professor Layton, Advance Wars, etc.) for longer gaming sessions.
  • Reply 77 of 239
    Quote:

Can you try that again in English.

Mkay...how about WTF is your point? Sonic is bad for Apple? If so why beyond "it didn't save Sega" after Sega screwing up over and over again.

Quote:

Which is why Nintendo mentions Apple but not Sony.

Try again. In English or any other language.
  • Reply 78 of 239
    Quote:

All you do here is negative. I suppose that anything you say must be taken as support for that.

Is that right? yes some of my posts might be negative, but they is in response to the ridiculous claims made by some people.
  • Reply 79 of 239
    Quote:

Mkay...how about WTF is your point? Sonic is bad for Apple? If so why beyond "it didn't save Sega" after Sega screwing up over and over again.

You might want to learn to read. I didn't say Sonic would be bad for Apple, I said it won't be the game stopping move you think it would be

Quote:

Which is why Nintendo mentions Apple but not Sony.

Try again. In English or any other language.

Maybe they mentioned Apple since they are a new entrant in the market.
  • Reply 80 of 239
    Quote:

What you fail to realize is that Nintendo and Sony can certainly lure developers on the iPhone platform to its systems as well. Like you said, there are no exclusives on board.

I won't argue that. As I say, it's sales. how is each platform growing? That' an important question? It's expected that iPhone and Touch sales will have exceeded the DS sometime next year. After that, there could be a big difference.

Look, Nintendo is naming Apple as a cause of their poor performance. It's not something I said. If Nintendo is feeling the heat, then that should tell you something.

Quote:

Can you show me an App Store game by an exclusive studio that has generated the same line-up frenzy that only the iPhone has done for Apple in recent years? Dragon Quest IX did that a few weeks ago, and Monster Hunter hits the Wii tomorrow here. I'll buy you an App that's $4.99 or less if you do.

I don't think it matters. What some gamers seem to forget is that most games aren't bought by them. They're bought by people who don't buy the games they do.

So maybe right now, because the platform is still very young when compared to Nintendo's handhelds, they don't have the blockbuster hit. but they do have many more games free and low priced, and altogether, those games sell in very large numbers.

As more devices are bought from Apple, the base will get larger so that the number of individual games sold will grow as well. So will they have a 3 million sale game? Of course.

Give it another year or two.