Microsoft plans to use Windows 7 to raise netbook prices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ballmer laughs off Apple gains

Burrows' report also noted that Ballmer laughed off the number of financial analysts in the room using Apple laptops. “We have low share in the investor community. I see a lot of Apple logos,” Ballmer said. “Don’t bother to hide them. I’ve already counted them. And it’s okay, feel free [to use them], so long as you’re running Office.”

Ballmer called Apple as a “fine company” doing well with a low-volume, high-price strategy, but claimed Microsoft hasn't lost market share to Apple over the past year, and that any changes in reported share numbers are just “a rounding error.” Share gains by Apple "cost us nothing," Ballmer said. "Hopefully, we’ll take share back from Apple. But they still sell only 10 million PCs a year, so it’s a limited opportunity."

I really don't understand why this item had to be rehashed when this was the topic of an entire article on the same day, only three items down. It wasn't even five hours ago.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Apple owns more than 90% of the $1,000+ computer market, so Microsoft is very stupid to push more computers into that range.

Netbooks are about as far from $1k range as you can get. Increase the price on a $300 netbook by $50, and it's still hardly close to $1k. MS cut the licensing cost on netbooks as a special price class alone, any price adjustment in the netbook class won't make the regular notebooks any more expensive. I think there were restrictions on screen size, CPU speed and RAM to qualify for a netbook license.

Quote:

Linux is already popular on Netbooks. Wait for it to get more popular.

And then Linux desktops are next.

I haven't seen Linux on anything close to 1 out of 10 netbooks for sale at retail. There were more in the earlier days, but they dried up pretty quickly.

Every year in the past decade was the "year of Linux on the desktop". It didn't work so far. I'd like to see Linux become a viable alternative, but it hasn't happened yet. Something needs to change for it to happen at all.
  • Reply 22 of 127
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

I think Micro$oft blunders are pretty funny though

And I would agree with you, they are usually quite hilarious. I just don't think an APPLE dedicated site is the place to talk about them. People should be talking about their inadequacies on an M$ dedicated site. (Then again, I'm not the ruler of the internet... so this is only my opinion)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

Thats is ridiculous. Microsoft always got to do with apple. They're competitors.

So every time MS does progress or has a backfall, it affects Apple.

Yes, competitors, but no, not every thing M$ does affects Apple. M$ is software, Apple is hardware (though these days, more about gadgets than anything). As for the netbook arena, it doesn't affect Apple. OS wise, since you cannot run M$ programs on Apple, again Apple is not affected. (And if you argue that you can run M$ on Apple using Parallels, then you are buying an over priced PC: Windows + Parallels or other VM is more than just the windows license, to which both Apple and M$ are happy)

Anyhow. Its my opinion that they two don't affect each other. They really shouldn't. Apples and Oranges. The rivalry is all made up in people's heads, thanks to the think-tank at Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 127
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    So what.

I have absolutely no problem with MS owning the netbook market. Seems they'll be squeezed out of the lower end as well, leaving it open for possibly Google Chrome netbooks or low-cost Google alternatives.

MS are virtually locked out of the Premium end.

So where does that leave them?

MS can't sell enough cheap junk, so now they want to charge more for the same thing??

Am I misunderstanding something here?
  • Reply 24 of 127
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    That tyrant will single handedly drive that company into the ground like a lawn dart.
  • Reply 25 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Microsoft plans to use Windows 7 to raise netbook prices

Where in that title is Microsoft proclaimed the devil?

And what about it is 'glorified'? He's paraphrasing Ballmer's stated plan to raise the price of netbooks through the cost of Windows 7.

Why all defensive? Get real. We all know Prince has Apple v MS wrestling matches in his sleep every night

I used to think this was Apple Insider. These days it seems like Microsoft Insider.
  • Reply 26 of 127
    cuttercutter Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

To which the investors turned their laptops around to expose to Ballmer that they are using Apple's iWork!

That's so cute that you'd think a bunch of professionals would be using iWork!
  • Reply 27 of 127
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    First they roll out the laptop hunter ads to brand themselves the Walmart of OSes. Now after publicly laying claim to the cheap end of the market they want to move their brand upmarket. In the history of brand management, that is the hardest thing to do. (Harder even than Jack in the Box recovering from a food poisoning event.) VW tried to do it with the $70K Phaeton. That flopped. Walmart tried to do it after suffering from Target envy a few years back. That flopped. Somebody name me a success story.

Ballmer really has no clue where he wants to take Microsoft. He's been zigging and zagging since the day he took over as CEO. I am amazed at the patience of MS stockholders.
  • Reply 28 of 127
    cuttercutter Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I really don't understand why this item had to be rehashed when this was the topic of an entire article on the same day, only three items down. It wasn't even five hours ago.

Because K knows that simply putting the word "Microsoft" in a thread title gets the cult of Apple reacting like Pavlov's dogs?
  • Reply 29 of 127
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutter View Post

Because K knows that simply putting the word "Microsoft" in a thread title gets the cult of Apple reacting like Pavlov's dogs?

OOOOH! He said it again!

Do it again...
  • Reply 30 of 127
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    How can it be said that Microsoft's goal is to increase the price of computers, when the actual goal is to increase the price of Windows? Did Balmer actually say that? Did Peter Burrows say that; or did Appleinsider say that?
  • Reply 31 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

How can it be said that Microsoft's goal is to increase the price of computers, when the actual goal is to increase the price of Windows? Did Balmer actually say that? Did Peter Burrows say that; or did Appleinsider say that?

I'm not sure what's going on.

Windows being more expensive might increase the price of the machines they come loaded on.

So . . . Ballmer thinks that raising the price will help sell them? Does he think that a higher price tag will give the illusion of greater desirability? Will the other box makers magically start building Apple-like systems with unibody encolsures now? LOL this is interesting.

Can someone chime in on this, please.
  • Reply 32 of 127
    The prospects of a premium priced Apple tablet computer may brighten at the hands of an unlikely ally, if Microsoft can carry out its stated goal of raising netbook prices using Windows 7.

After publicly advertising the idea that Windows PCs are cheaper than Macs in its "Laptop Hunter" ads, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer told an audience of financial analysts that the company's attempts to cut prices of Windows to induce demand in emerging markets had failed over the previous year, and that the solution to the company's woes will be to increase the price of computers.

This makes no sense to me.

Am I missing something here?
  • Reply 33 of 127
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the fad will go away, even with the small screen i'll take my iphone over a netbook any day.

i wouldn't speak so soon, just a few days ago there was a big story about the long awaited re-launch of the Apple Mac Tablet Touch device (according to AI sources). I don't know if you were on that thread but seemed like everyone was saying that would be the netbook killer. you may be singing a different tune once you see that!

I for one will opt for the netbook. Cheap and has a keyboard and let's me surf on the couch or just about anywhere under 3 lbs.
  • Reply 34 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I thought Windows was the working man's OS. Ballmer wants to stiff the working man now?

I agree with you. with the debacle that was Vista and now they want to ween back customers by charging extra for W7? Sounds like we're all getting the screw.
  • Reply 35 of 127
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'm not sure what's going on.

Windows being more expensive might increase the price of the machines they come loaded on.

So . . . Ballmer thinks that raising the price will help sell them? Does he think that a higher price tag will give the illusion of greater desirability? Will the other box makers magically start building Apple-like systems with unibody encolsures now? LOL this is interesting.

Can someone chime in on this, please.

A higher price increases desirability? I thought it was the other way around - desirability increases price.

Anyone remember the "Tickle-Me-Elmo" phenomenon?

Isn't it obvious that the only way to truly create desirability - and therefore command a higher price - is to produce a product that is desirable?
  • Reply 36 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

A higher price increases desirability? I thought it was the other way around - desirability increases price.

Anyone remember the "Tickle-Me-Elmo" phenomenon?

Isn't it obvious that the only way to truly create desirability - and therefore command a higher price - is to produce a product that is desirable?

Yes!

I still don't understand what MS wants to do here. They couldn't sell them when they were cheaper, so now charging MORE will move product?

Sorry, but I must be misunderstanding something here.

Wasn't it MS' whole strategy for months now to compete on price?? So now they want to make greater margins by charging more for the same product they couldn't move in the first place?
  • Reply 37 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Apple owns more than 90% of the $1,000+ computer market, so Microsoft is very stupid to push more computers into that range.

Linux is already popular on Netbooks. Wait for it to get more popular.

And then Linux desktops are next.

I'd like to see the source you're quoting about the 90% of $1000+ computer market...could you site the article?

I'd also like to know if you missed the part in this posting where AI stated that MS dropped XP prices to allow for a stronger share of the netbook market, which it seemed to work (in the past few months) if you look at most netbooks out there (dell offers about 70%-80% windows netbooks).
  • Reply 38 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I'd like to see the source you're quoting about the 90% of $1000+ computer market...could you site the article?

Apple dominates the $1000+ notebook market, confined mostly to purchases made from physical stores (Best Buy, etc.)

This has been in the news for the past two weeks.
  • Reply 39 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamondgeeza View Post

keynote is far superior to powerpoint. The last 9 months of being forced to use windows only at work has also made me think word is not so great either...

what's not so great about Office compared to iWork? I'd like to know since i'm fencing with Apple currently, but Office products don't really bother me. I really like the '07 version, much more intuitive.
  • Reply 40 of 127
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I'd also like to know if you missed the part in this posting where AI stated that MS dropped XP prices to allow for a stronger share of the netbook market, which it seemed to work (in the past few months) if you look at most netbooks out there (dell offers about 70%-80% windows netbooks).

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._by_apple.html