Microsoft plans to use Windows 7 to raise netbook prices

Comments

• Reply 81 of 127
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystigo View Post

I am a big Apple fan. But I own a lot of Microsoft stock. Ballmer is driving me crazy. He should not be in charge of Microsoft. His vision seems to consist of dismissing real competitive threats when they appear, and then blindly and belatedly chasing the markets he scoffed at months before.

This is costing me a fortune.

As someone that owns quite a few Apple stock, Ballmer is just about my best friend. He really seems clueless about how to move his company forward. He makes the same mistakes over and over! As much as I hate Bill Gates he is a very smart business man and Ballmer is nowhere near in his league.

If Apple is only in the rounding error, than why is M$ spending so much money to counter Apple? I think I can smell his fear! Whether or not is justified is another topic.

Personally, in the computer market I think Apple is about the right size, a little growth is good but not explosive growth. I think its Apple's increasingly moving into and creating new markets is where its future is... iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, iTablet/iBookReader. In the long run the personal computer is a dead end. Computing is moving to mobile devices for the home and at least in part for the office.
  • Reply 82 of 127
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by westech View Post

If the iTablet appears at the very least it will be a big iTouch, and probably will include iWorks as well. Without question it will be more capable than any net book or cheap MS based OS entry. At a price point of $600 to $800 it will sell like hot cakes. Who knows where this will go?

No keyboard, no sale. \
  • Reply 83 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

No keyboard, no sale. \

Funny, that's what that negative, foot dragging obstructionist Steve Ballmer said about the iPhone.
  • Reply 84 of 127
    satcomersatcomer Posts: 130member
    Quote:

Funny, that's what that negative, foot dragging obstructionist Steve Ballmer said about the iPhone.

The whole tech industry is full of irony. The so-called tech nerds fail in seeing the irony in many tech events.
  • Reply 85 of 127
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

And this relates to Apple how?

Apple currently has no netbook.

OS X runs really well on them, lot of people buy netbooks specifically to install OS X. Netbooks are a common Mac platform, even if Apple doesn't make one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think there were restrictions on screen size, CPU speed and RAM to qualify for a netbook license.

Sure, but the restrictions were to the claimed specs, not the actual specs. My HP Mini officially only supports 1GB RAM max, because that's the limit MS put on HP for their XP license. Yet, I have 4GB of DDR2 RAM in it running just fine.
  • Reply 86 of 127
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Sure, but the restrictions were to the claimed specs, not the actual specs. My HP Mini officially only supports 1GB RAM max, because that's the limit MS put on HP for their XP license. Yet, I have 4GB of DDR2 RAM in it running just fine.

Maybe it's splitting hairs on my part, I'd call that a win. Is it XP that is running on yours, or are you using OS X on it?
  • Reply 87 of 127
    Quote:

The iPhone is not a netbook. Neither will the iPad be, if it doesn't have a keyboard. That's all I was saying. For those of us who want a computer, neither will suffice.
  • Reply 88 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

For those of us who want a computer, neither will suffice.

That statement could mean many things. What do you mean? Clarify it.
  • Reply 89 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That statement could mean many things. What do you mean? Clarify it.

After a post which said an Apple iTablet would be more capable than any netbook, I said "no keyboard, no sale." That was followed up by a comment implying because I wanted a keyboard, I was being negative.

I own an iPod touch and find it totally inadequate for web and email access or any other computing purpose except in a REAL PINCH when no computer is available. While an iPad/tablet with a larger screen might be slightly better; with no keyboad, I wouldn't consider it a real computer. I wouldn't want to type this post on a virtual on-screen keyboard.

Despite its Windows OS, my netbook is great. No iPhone, iTouch or iTablet will ever be more capable, in my opinion, unless I want to make a phone call; mainly because it won't likely have a keyboard.
  • Reply 90 of 127
    westechwestech Posts: 17member
    Quote:

The iPhone is not a netbook. Neither will the iPad be, if it doesn't have a keyboard. That's all I was saying. For those of us who want a computer, neither will suffice.

Right. It's not all things to all people. But it will be suitable for light communication, e-mail, short letters. It will be even more limited in handling spreadsheets. It will cost less than a MacBook and do less. Sorry I jumped down your throat,
  • Reply 91 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

After a post which said an Apple iTablet would be more capable than any netbook, I said "no keyboard, no sale." That was followed up by a comment implying because I wanted a keyboard, I was being negative.

I own an iPod touch and find it totally inadequate for web and email access or any other computing purpose except in a REAL PINCH when no computer is available. While an iPad/tablet with a larger screen might be slightly better; with no keyboad, I wouldn't consider it a real computer. I wouldn't want to type this post on a virtual on-screen keyboard.

Despite its Windows OS, my netbook is great. No iPhone, iTouch or iTablet will ever be more capable, in my opinion, unless I want to make a phone call; mainly because it won't likely have a keyboard.

Oh I get you now. The good news is Apple sell laptops with physical keyboards, so if you want a physical keyboard and a Mac, you can get one of those. This tablet will be virtual on the keyboard stuff. Though, that doesn't not make it a computer. It just makes it a computer that doesn't suit your needs / meet your tastes.
  • Reply 92 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Oh I get you now. The good news is Apple sell laptops with physical keyboards, so if you want a physical keyboard and a Mac, you can get one of those. This tablet will be virtual on the keyboard stuff. Though, that doesn't not make it a computer. It just makes it a computer that doesn't suit your needs / meet your tastes.

Call me old-fashioned but I like the laptop form factor. I wish Apple made a small laptop, somewhat like the old 12" PowerBook, only smaller and lighter. I get a little annoyed when people say "the iPhone is good enough."

If Apple is preparing to introduce some kind of tablet, I hope they will also introduce a new small laptop style computer. I'd pay a reasonable price for it, but NOT what they ask for a MacBook Air. Otherwise, I'll be happy my Windows netbook, and will probably buy a new one early next year with Windows 7.
  • Reply 93 of 127
    I think this article comes under the category of "we're just going to be negative about something MS have said because there MS". The closest thing to a Netbook Apple make is twice as expensive and all MS have said is there going to charge more for Windows on a Netbook to make more cash, what investor out there is arguing "no you should keep giving windows away"?

The netbooks I saw running Linux were the early one's of which the people I know that bought them either installed Windows on them, or we're really geeky people and were thus into Linux anyway. Since then all the ones I see in shops run XP. Given that pre-sales of Windows 7 are going really well there's not much to say at the moment that people wont want Windows 7 on a Netbook.

The only people that should really be worried about Netbooks is Apple. All there products are at the top end of the market which has been fine while they were only a few hundred more than a PC, and people would pay the extra for the nice design and more power. But if your a home user that mainly wants a machine for email, internet, photo's and music and you can get 3 netbooks for the price of an Apple Macbook and it will still do the things you want it to do, then an Apple Mac is starting to look very very expensive just to have it look a little nicer.
  • Reply 94 of 127
    Quote:

The real issue is that Microsoft has been out pushing the concept that price is everything - that someone would be foolish to buy a Mac because it's more expensive than a Windows computer. Buy spreading this "you only need to look at the price tag to choose your computer" concept, they are making themselves vulnerable on the low end. Currently, a Linux netbook isn't much less expensive than a Windows netbook. Add $50 to the Windows netbook, and the Linux system may look lots more attractive - since you're only selling price. When ChromeOS hits the market with Google's marketing clout behind it, that difference becomes even more important.

The 'price is everything' strategy could easily backfire when they raise Windows prices for netbooks.

I think you've got your head in the clouds if you think a $50 increase in the cost of a netbook is going to make everyone switch over to Linux. In return for a $100 saving, you have to spend hours/days/weeks/eternity trying to figure out a new OS that isn't very user-friendly. Saying that your time is worth a lot of money seems to be a fashionable comment around here, so it amazes me that your time figuring out a new OS is only worth $100. People will stick with what they know, even if it is $50 more expensive - Linux simply has no chance of ever becoming a mainstream OS. Not a chance in hell.
  • Reply 95 of 127
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I think this article comes under the category of "we're just going to be negative about something MS have said because there MS". The closest thing to a Netbook Apple make is twice as expensive and all MS have said is there going to charge more for Windows on a Netbook to make more cash, what investor out there is arguing "no you should keep giving windows away"?

You seem to have missed the point of the article.

If, as you say, Apple has a product that is twice the price.... but the price of netbooks rise.... then the price differential will drop. Simple.
  • Reply 96 of 127
    Quote:

Will the OEMs start offering netbooks with Linux more frequently, or even Android or Chrome?

Android and ChromeOS are Linux. For that matter, so is Intel's Moblin.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I think you've got your head in the clouds if you think a $50 increase in the cost of a netbook is going to make everyone switch over to Linux. In return for a $100 saving, you have to spend hours/days/weeks/eternity trying to figure out a new OS that isn't very user-friendly. Saying that your time is worth a lot of money seems to be a fashionable comment around here, so it amazes me that your time figuring out a new OS is only worth $100. People will stick with what they know, even if it is $50 more expensive - Linux simply has no chance of ever becoming a mainstream OS. Not a chance in hell.

And so people have repeatedly chanted over and over again for almost two decades. Yet, the numbers continue to rise. BTW, you do know that Apple's success disproves the BS claim that people "stick with what they know", right? Anyone who claims OSX works like Windows is insane.
  • Reply 97 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post

Android and ChromeOS are Linux. For that matter, so is Intel's Moblin.

And so people have repeatedly chanted over and over again for almost two decades. Yet, the numbers continue to rise. BTW, you do know that Apple's success disproves the BS claim that people "stick with what they know", right? Anyone who claims OSX works like Windows is insane.

The numbers might fluctuate a bit, but it'll never become a mainstream OS. With Apple, a lot of people have actually tried out their stuff before buying a Mac, and OSX is actually reasonably easy to use, unlike Linux. It wouldn't say much about the usability of OSX if you thought it was just as easy/hard to get to grips with as Linux!
  • Reply 98 of 127
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

And this relates to Apple how?

Apple currently has no netbook.

Since this article has no Apple relavance, then it only has one purpose being posted here.

Please, focus on Apple products and such. I'm not here to read about M$ and their blunders. I want to read about Apple and their blunders (of which there are many)

It is relevant be cause MS specifically talked about Apple.

I find these interesting and am more than happy for them to be on AppleInsider.
  • Reply 99 of 127
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    All this just seems more like Apple envy and lack of direction to me. Recent reports show that Apple is doing well in the high-end of the market; therefore, MS wants to be in the high-end of the market. People who think there is more to it than that are over thinking it. It is painfully clear that MS don't have a plan. Watch closely kids. These events will be forever taught in business schools under the segment, "what not to do!"
  • Reply 100 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

All this just seems more like Apple envy and lack of direction to me. Recent reports show that Apple is doing well in the high-end of the market; therefore, MS wants to be in the high-end of the market. People who think there is more to it than that are over thinking it. It is painfully clear that MS don't have a plan. Watch closely kids. These events will be forever taught in business schools under the segment, "what not to do!"

Since when were netbooks high end devices?