Microsoft plans to use Windows 7 to raise netbook prices

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    After selling Dell netbooks and playing around with a few, I bought my preferred version of a "netbook".

It's a 13" Aluminium MacBook, it is well worth the extra cost, I have iWork and Open Office, apparently I can get a 30 day trial of MS Office but I can't be bothered.

I am not restricted by my network so tethering my iPhone works fine (Yay, Australia five carriers all with iPhones and a law which says they must be able to be unlocked, which mine is).

I have also used Linux for the last few years, you click Firefox and you're on the web, Thunderbird you're reading your email, attachments from your Windows centric friends or work open in Open Office you can edit them and send them back in the MS format (Office 2007 is a bit broken).

You mouse over files and music plays, pictures pop up, documents are previewed it's like a supercharged version of Preview that's there all the time.

If anyone thinks Linux is hard to use I suggest you download a distribution on a live CD and have a play.

Ubuntu, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS take your pick, when you're done you eject the CD and it's gone.

The only thing missing is iTunes and MobileMe, which won't work without Windows or OSX and here I am back to the main reason I bought my MacBook "netbook", I just couldn't be bothered fixing Windows again on my old Linux/XP PC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I think you've got your head in the clouds if you think a $50 increase in the cost of a netbook is going to make everyone switch over to Linux. In return for a $100 saving, you have to spend hours/days/weeks/eternity trying to figure out a new OS that isn't very user-friendly. Saying that your time is worth a lot of money seems to be a fashionable comment around here, so it amazes me that your time figuring out a new OS is only worth $100. People will stick with what they know, even if it is $50 more expensive - Linux simply has no chance of ever becoming a mainstream OS. Not a chance in hell.

• Reply 102 of 127
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Why all defensive? Get real. We all know Prince has Apple v MS wrestling matches in his sleep every night

Ireland, you fail on that all-important attention to detail issue. Your remarks about Prince ['s writing style] may very well be justified in general but you chose to criticise the title, which this time was very neutral. If you fail to see this difference, then this reflects back on you.
  • Reply 103 of 127
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

All this just seems more like Apple envy and lack of direction to me. Recent reports show that Apple is doing well in the high-end of the market; therefore, MS wants to be in the high-end of the market. People who think there is more to it than that are over thinking it. It is painfully clear that MS don't have a plan. Watch closely kids. These events will be forever taught in business schools under the segment, "what not to do!"

What I got out of it is that MS will now start charging for Windows on low end PCs after practically giving away WinXP for a year or so. It makes perfect sense that they should charge OEMs for an operating system.

What confuses me is the way it's said: "the solution to the company's woes will be to increase the price of computers." Huh? MS doesn't sell computers.
  • Reply 104 of 127
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Ireland, you fail on that all-important attention to detail issue. Your remarks about Prince ['s writing style] may very well be justified in general but you chose to criticise the title, which this time was very neutral. If you fail to see this difference, then this reflects back on you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

What I got out of it is that MS will now start charging for Windows on low end PCs after practically giving away WinXP for a year or so. It makes perfect sense that they should charge OEMs for an operating system.

What confuses me is the way it's said: "the solution to the company's woes will be to increase the price of computers." Huh? MS doesn't t sell computers.

I think that's the real problem with the article and its headline. Microsoft doesn't set the price of a computer that I've heard. The referenced BusinessWeek article isn't any better. It's either poor wording or poor reasoning on the part of the articles here and at BusinessWeek.
  • Reply 105 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

After selling Dell netbooks and playing around with a few, I bought my preferred version of a "netbook".

It's a 13" Aluminium MacBook, it is well worth the extra cost, I have iWork and Open Office, apparently I can get a 30 day trial of MS Office but I can't be bothered.

I am not restricted by my network so tethering my iPhone works fine (Yay, Australia five carriers all with iPhones and a law which says they must be able to be unlocked, which mine is).

I have also used Linux for the last few years, you click Firefox and you're on the web, Thunderbird you're reading your email, attachments from your Windows centric friends or work open in Open Office you can edit them and send them back in the MS format (Office 2007 is a bit broken).

You mouse over files and music plays, pictures pop up, documents are previewed it's like a supercharged version of Preview that's there all the time.

If anyone thinks Linux is hard to use I suggest you download a distribution on a live CD and have a play.

Ubuntu, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS take your pick, when you're done you eject the CD and it's gone.

The only thing missing is iTunes and MobileMe, which won't work without Windows or OSX and here I am back to the main reason I bought my MacBook "netbook", I just couldn't be bothered fixing Windows again on my old Linux/XP PC.

Been there done that. It took some nonsensicle code typed into a terminal window to get my soundcard working. None of my games work on it, no Media Centre, no iTunes, no apparent way to install programs. I'm a geek, and if I couldn't do it, there'd be little chance for anyone else but the ultra geek.
  • Reply 106 of 127
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    OK, netbook prices as a baseline arent gonna skyrocket, there is a version of 7 for net books called windows 7 starter that will be essentially the same price as XP. MS WANTS XP TO DIE. XP is old at this point, it saw its final service pack nearly 2 years ago. Furthermore, Windows 7 is such a better product technilogically that it is a great value on a netbook, even if a netbook is $40 more...for christssake, you are getting a laptop computer for about the price of a fucking GAME BOY!!!!

The fact that a fully featured wireless enabled computer that can fit in a small napsack and weighs in under 3LB can be had for about $250 is amazing when you look at what $250 and a 3 LB weight limit could have bought not too long ago: at launch the Gameboy cost $179 according to Wikipedia, and that was in 1991, that would be about $270 in today's money.

and oh yea, fuck linux on netbooks...every linux based netbook buyer that I know except for one engineer who specifily wanted linux, ended up buying or bootlegging a copy of Windows so they could use the device in the real world.
  • Reply 107 of 127
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

MS/PC manufacturers (Dell, HP, etc.) find themselves in a very common business situation-diminishing profit margins where they all end up chasing the bottom. My father used to be in the milk business in the '70's and SealTest Food's (owned by Kraft) profit margin was called an "Eagle." In other words, .001%! All they were doing was wearing out the plants and trucks. They would actually make more money "not producing" milk!

Which reminds me of the old joke of the guy selling his product below cost. He figured volume sales would make up for what he lost in profit.

There's probably a better way of telling the joke. I just can't remember it exactly.
  • Reply 108 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

OS X runs really well on them, lot of people buy netbooks specifically to install OS X. Netbooks are a common Mac platform, even if Apple doesn't make one.

How do you do install OS X on a non-Mac netbook? I'm confused. I thought you needed a Mac to install OS X on. I'm not dissing you. I want to try that myself. Which netbook(s) will that work on?
  • Reply 109 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

How do you do install OS X on a non-Mac netbook? I'm confused. I thought you needed a Mac to install OS X on. I'm not dissing you. I want to try that myself. Which netbook(s) will that work on?

I've not personally seen a netbook running OS X, but it is being done. There are certain netbooks that are pretty popular for that, for example, there are step-by-step instructions on how to make it work on a Dell Mini 9. It's outside the scope of this forum, I suggest using Google to find any more information than that.
  • Reply 110 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've not personally seen a netbook running OS X, but it is being done. There are certain netbooks that are pretty popular for that, for example, there are step-by-step instructions on how to make it work on a Dell Mini 9. It's outside the scope of this forum, I suggest using Google to find any more information than that.

Thanx. I used Google as you suggested. New vistas (pardon the pun) opened.
  • Reply 111 of 127
    Quote:

Thanx. I used Google as you suggested. New vistas (pardon the pun) opened.

Sure. I didn't think it appropriate to give much more info than that given the forum rules.
  • Reply 112 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamondgeeza View Post

keynote is far superior to powerpoint. The last 9 months of being forced to use windows only at work has also made me think word is not so great either...

It's not great, & not only that but If you don't care for Numbers you can use OpenOffice, which is a more powerful application for working with numbers & data anyway.

I will say though, numbers makes building presentations from a spreadsheet very nice & easy, just has a horrible set of templates.
  • Reply 113 of 127
    westechwestech Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think that's the real problem with the article and its headline. Microsoft doesn't set the price of a computer that I've heard. The referenced BusinessWeek article isn't any better. It's either poor wording or poor reasoning on the part of the articles here and at BusinessWeek.

I don't know what MS charges computer manufacturers for a bundled OS. Certainly it's less than they charge at retail. To a computer manufacturer the cost of an OS is just like any other component. As the price of computers comes down, the manufacturers work hard to get all their component costs down. MS must feel the pressure. If MS charges $100 for an OS on a computer that sells for $1,500, that's 6.7% of the selling price. On a $500 computer it's 20% of the selling price. Can't happen. MS wants computer selling prices raised to take the pressure off their pricing.

Long term the profitability of OS's sold to OEM's has got to drop. The OS manufacturing cost is nil so they can't cut their manufacturing costs, only the marketing, research and sales costs.
  • Reply 114 of 127
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Netbooks aren't really all that cheap when you consider what you get. I just bought my daughter a 15.6" Toshiba laptop with 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, DVD burner, 2 GB, 240 GB and discrete graphics for $379. Why in the world would I want to pay $300 for a crappy 10% netbook with atom processor and no optical drive?

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/...to?poid=445850

y.

is this what your kid got ??

its 553 $

did you get a refub or something ???Any way your price is wrong

Maybe you ..

Laptop Summary

Specifications\t customized

Intel® Core? 2 Duo processor T6500 (2.1GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 32-Bit

15.6" Diagonal Widescreen HD (1366x768) TruBrite® display

Black

Microsoft® Office Ready with Microsoft Office Professional 2007 60-day Trial Edition

2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz SDRAM (2048MBx1)

250GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial-ATA)

DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive

Lithium Ion battery (6-Cell, 4000mAh)

1 Year Standard Limited Warranty
  • Reply 115 of 127
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Only theives do this shitty move .
  • Reply 116 of 127
    For many of us, price is not the main consideration when buying a netbook. Size, weight and cool operation were what sold me. My netbook will fit almost anywhere, weighs less than three pounds and never heats up my lap like MOST regular laptops will. I bought mine when it was a new model and gladly paid $500. (The price is now less than $400.)

So even when the cost goes up with Win7, netbooks will still seem worth it to me; especially when you compare them to Apple's closest offering?MB Air at $1499.
  • Reply 117 of 127
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'm not sure what's going on.

Windows being more expensive might increase the price of the machines they come loaded on.

So . . . Ballmer thinks that raising the price will help sell them? Does he think that a higher price tag will give the illusion of greater desirability? Will the other box makers magically start building Apple-like systems with unibody encolsures now? LOL this is interesting.

Can someone chime in on this, please.

I think new generation of netbooks will take on Windows 7, something in line of new HP 5101 netbooks.

That thing comes with 2GB of RAM, 7200RPM or SSD HDD, aluminium and magnesium allow casing, good battery life... and is a bit more expensive than your usual netbooks, though still perfectly affordable.

Right now it comes with Vista Business but with free upgrade to W7 Pro offer.

Entry level netbooks will likely remain on Linux, XP Home or W7 Basic.
  • Reply 118 of 127
    lol true however keynote is very common at conferences in my field
  • Reply 119 of 127
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    I don't see why Apple needs an excuse to keep it's products priced high. They certainly didn't need an excuse so far with the pricing of any of their products. It doesn't matter to Apple if Netbook prices go up due to licensing of Windows 7. You will be redefining the term Netbook if the machine can run Windows 7.
  • Reply 120 of 127
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Only theives do this shitty move .

How can you say that when apple charges nearly 2 grand fir their piece of under powered tin, the MacBook air?!?!?!

Google osx86.

Good luck.