Apple's iTunes 9 rumored to have Blu-ray, social media support

Comments

• Reply 61 of 248
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nbidgood View Post

i really don't imagine much usefulness in being able to organize apps in iTunes. App organizing on the iPhone would be infinitely more useful. The only time i ever click on the Applications section of the iTunes Library is to update my apps. unless the organization within iTunes would sync to the iPhone... now that would be great.

It would be nice if you could turn on an option to automatically update apps. the current setup takes way too much user interaction and confirmation when you pretty much always want to just update all your apps.

You can arrange the apps on your phone. You hold your finger on the app for a couple of seconds. The apps begin to wiggle, and an X appears at the upper left corner. You can then drag the app to wherever on the page, or to a new page.

This works well when you only have a page or two of apps. But I have 6 pages +. As all new apps show up at the very end, it's a real pain to move them to the front somewhere. I would imagine that re-arranging the apps in iTunes would allow them to show up that way on the phones as well.

Automatically updating apps may not work that well.

First of all, if an app is too big, more than 10 MB, I believe, it won't update over 3G. Then, do you really want to update an app without knowing that it was doing so? What if you don't want the update for a particular app for some reason?

I like to read what's been done before I allow them to update. And if the apps are big, or there are too many updates, I go to the left of the window in itunes to applications, where it will tell me how many, and do it there. Much better. I'm not even going to think about updating some of my apps that are more than 100 MB in size over 3G, because it can't do it. And I can tell you that doing it over WiFi isn't something you want to do either.
  • Reply 62 of 248
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This has more to do with the speed of your hard drive and specifically the size of it's cache than anything iTunes is doing. Especially the slowness with the apps screen.

Apps are generally quite small, the only way it could be as slow as you say is if you either have some super sh*t-load of apps (i.e. - "you're doing it wrong"), or you have a seriously old and slow HD. (or you could be just exaggerating)

I'm running a year old iMac with 2gb of RAM and a 250gb hard drive. This should have nothing to do with my specs. i know I'm not alone in complaining about the speed. Doing a search on this yields a ton results. As for my apps I do have lot. Some in the vicinity of 150 or so and since they all fit on my phone I'm pretty sure I'm not doing it wrong.
  • Reply 63 of 248
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

I too don't get where 'Blu-ray support' comes in concerning iTunes, unless they're retiring DVD Player in Snow Leopard, but that seems unlikely. Perhaps Mac Pros will feature optional Blu-ray drives, but they're not likely to be introduced at the annual iPod event.

The new standard of Blu-Ray features the ability to import 1 full quality version of the BluRay Movie. This is probably the support that's coming to iTunes. It does effect iPod and iTunes to I do think it's important. Blu-Ray support is more than likely coming to QuickTime, hence the change of the new icon from purple to Blu-Ray. I wouldn't be suprised if DVD player does get retired and all media is played either via QuickTime or iTunes. It quite frankly makes sense. I would love to see the the ability to import a DVD into iTunes as well.
  • Reply 64 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple should allow the option. It's a flimsy excuse to look at the price. When Apple included CD, it was very expensive. Same thing with DVD. Blu-Ray is no different. In fact, in inflated dollars, B-R is cheaper than either CD or DVD was when Apple included them.

The only difference is that back then, Apple had no download business to push. Now it does.

Especially when Windows already has this. It's quite frankly embarrassing that Apple doesn't have it.
  • Reply 65 of 248
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

As far as I know, there aren't any slot-loading Blu-ray drives. Apple can't put a product in their computers that doesn't exist yet.

If anything though, it should be an option for Mac Pros.

Slot-loading Blu-ray drives:

Dell's XPS M2010 now sporting slot-loading Blu-ray drive

by Darren Murph, posted Apr 19th 2007 at 10:30AM

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/19/d...-blu-ray-drive

XPS M1330 BIOS update hints at upcoming Blu-ray / DVD combo drive

by Nilay Patel, posted Feb 7th 2008 at 1:01PM

The last Dells we saw with a slot-loading Blu-ray drive were the XPS One and monster XPS M2010, but it looks like Round Rock's taking it mainstream

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/07/x...vd-combo-driv/

Gateway's UC Series contains its first 13.3-inch notebook

by Darren Murph, posted Jan 8th 2009 at 12:01AM

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/g...inch-notebook/

Sony PS3 Console with 20GB Hard Drive

http://shopping.lycos.com/product/vi...3/user-reviews

Sony VAIO VGC-LT19U

REVIEW DATE:09.20.07

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2185747,00.asp

Sharp AQUOS DX2-series LCD HDTVs with integrated Blu-ray

By Chris Davies on Friday, Aug 7th 2009

http://www.slashgear.com/sharp-aquos...u-ray-0751466/

Dell Studio 15, Dell's new mid-range hits the sweet spot

By Staff writers, Matthew Sparkes

Oct 16, 2008 3:37 PM

http://www.itnews.com.au/Review/1252...weet-spot.aspx

Even more impressive is how Apple is marketing its design process

August 2nd, 2009

http://news.laptopbatterywholesale.c...n-process.html
  • Reply 66 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Unless you have an iMac with a 24" screen, it can't display the 1080p picture from a Blu Ray disc. Wouldn't you rather watch your Blu Ray disc on your big HDTV? Not exactly a compelling experience on such a small screen for a movie.

It's not just about watching it full res. It's about now I can purchase a BluRay movie and not worry about where I'm going to play it. I can enjoy it on my Mac, or my large screen TV. In my case however, living in a studio apartment, my MacPro is my only source for TV thanks to EyeTV. For me, regardless of format, I would be able to enjoy Blu-Ray. I personally don't care to upgrade my DVD's to Blu-Ray, but it's nice to know that should DVD's stop being produced in favor of DVD's, I'll be able to accommodate. Accommodation is what it's about, not HD-TV.
  • Reply 67 of 248
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

As far as I know, there aren't any slot-loading Blu-ray drives. Apple can't put a product in their computers that doesn't exist yet.

If anything though, it should be an option for Mac Pros.

Quote:

Blu Ray support already exists. Go buy a Blu Ray drive and Roxio's Toast and enjoy wasting your money on blank media and slow backups. It is not an absolute must.

Sure, but not movie playback. A real must.
  • Reply 68 of 248
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    first post!
  • Reply 69 of 248
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    iTunes needs a rewrite to make it leaner and faster. I don't seen why we need to jerk around with iTunes for sync with iPods, etc. when that functionality can be handled by another application.
  • Reply 70 of 248
    jcsegenmdjcsegenmd Posts: 105member
    two comments

I find it a bit odd that both palm and rimm hawk their wares on this site; I wonder how many people have switched to their products based on adverts here

I agree with all of the comments about iTunes--it has become a JFK (or LHR) with one runway

Solution?

New name, less confusion:

iMedia store, which puts iTunes back to its origins, rather than make it a jack of all trades, thus

iMedia would be the top of the tree, with icons to take you where you want to go

? iTunes

? iFilms (avoiding overlap with iMovie) followed by icons for new releases, rents, classics, etc

? iUni(versity)

? Podcasts

? Apps

And please dear LORD, make it easier to search for apps, because I can't figure it out

It would be nice would to have a personal icon which would bring together files from disparate media sources, which might be of interest to a specific user, so he/she could browse a more personalised collection of items. Say you're planning on a trip to Thailand, but want to catch a particular artist in concert en route. You type in your interests du jour and your icon is populated with language tapes, audio books, dictionaries, phrase books, the artist's latest releases, podcasts, documentaries from ITunes U, etc.

I suppose conceptually, it would be like the Genius concept--which probably doesn't much increase sales, but makes what you have more enjoyable
  • Reply 71 of 248
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

But Apple's 720p HD content is no match for Blu Ray at 1080p on an HDTV combined with the uncompressed audio of Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA.

True, but it's not the audiophiles and videophiles who determine what becomes the most common format. It's the masses of "average consumers" who will determine what "good enough" is. iTunes music sales have demonstrated that.

Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio are going to be irrelevant for most people for quite some time into the future. The vast majority of consumers will not have the equipment to play it. Most people don't even both with the 5.1 audio on DVDs. And many people with 1080p TVs either have too small of a screen or sit too far away to notice much difference between 720p and 1080p. Yes, there is a difference, but enough to justify the cost of blu-ray movies and A/V equipment?

I suspect that Apple's 720p AC3 content is going to be that "good enough" for a lot of people. Just like 128kbps was good enough for music for a lot of people. And Apple's HD compares favorably with Comcast's 1080i, worse than some HD channels, but better than others.
  • Reply 72 of 248
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I disagree. You may have a different experience but everyone I know considers it slow. I don't even bother going into the applications section because it takes forever to load and scroll through. I consistently get beach balls while scrolling through my music. I have to also turn off the Genius sidebar. The idea that they would add more stuff to it and for it to continue the way it is now is mind boggling.

iTunes is pretty snappy for me and I have yet to see beachball when using it. My iMac is even older than yours. It used to be slow scrolling through music section several updates before, but it's not as slow as you describe, at least for me.
  • Reply 73 of 248
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

The PowerPC G5 is a 6 year old processor, and the new features in Snow Leopard won't support it, nor would the graphic GPUs in those old Macs.

They only wouldn't support it because Apple chose not to. The GPU in my PowerMac would work fine with OpenCL, and Grand Central isn't architecture specific. Exchange support has nothing to do with what hardware you're running on. Quicktime X might be an issue but it'd be easily solved if engineering resources were applied.

I'm not saying Apple should support the PowerPC, as it probably doesn't make much business sense. But this is forced obsolescence pure and simple: call it what it is!

Quote:

During the 68040 to PowerPC transition, Apple dropped 68040 support after three years as well.

First PowerMacs were introduced March 1994. First version of MacOS (8.5) to only run on PowerPC was introduced October 1998. More like 4.5 years. Of course, it was actually even better since many 68k Macs had PowerPC upgrade paths available (officially and otherwise).
  • Reply 74 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

first post!

make that number 70.
  • Reply 75 of 248
    App organization is nice. The rest are just eye-candy to me IMO.
  • Reply 76 of 248
    Quote:

iTunes is very fast on an Intel Mac. Add more memory to your Mac if you keep getting beach balls.

Make that 500gigs worth sir!
  • Reply 77 of 248
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    For the one who can't see the use we can do with Blu Ray support in iTunes and on the mac, just see a Blu Ray film, in most package there is a second disc called digital copy and this is a DVD for iTunes to import the film in you iPod or iPhone.

Maybe the studio want to stop to supply a DVD alongs the Blu Ray and put that digital copy on the same Blu Ray.

Then when you buy a Blu Ray, you can put it in iTunes and import the film in your iPod or iPhone or Apple TV.

Apple already got an agreement for digital copy with the studio

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/01/15fox.html
  • Reply 78 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post

For the one who can't see the use we can do with Blu Ray support in iTunes and on the mac, just see a Blu Ray film, in most package there is a second disc called digital copy and this is a DVD for iTunes to import the film in you iPod or iPhone.

Maybe the studio want to stop to supply a DVD alongs the Blu Ray and put that digital copy on the same Blu Ray.

Then when you buy a Blu Ray, you can put it in iTunes and import the film in your iPod or iPhone or Apple TV.

Apple already got an agreement for digital copy with the studio

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/01/15fox.html

Oh. Thanks for the link! I overlooked that.
  • Reply 79 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You mean like the people who bought a new XP machine 3 months before Vista came out, and couldn't upgrade?

That sounds like a blessing in disguise, if anything.
  • Reply 80 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

That sounds like a blessing in disguise, if anything.

Nice one there Drow!