Apple Snow Leopard purported packaging pictures shown

Comments

• Reply 41 of 127
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Apple usually uses the same package as what's shown on their website so I have a hard time imagining them using a different one.
  • Reply 42 of 127
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So if one wants to do a clean install and they purchased the $29 copy of SL, the procedure is . . . ?

One will probably be able to do a clean install of SL without having a Leopard disc, but whether the license says it's allowed without a Leopard disc is a question yet to be answered AFAIK. My guess is the license will permit it. If you're running Tiger and want to avoid a clean install of Snow Leopard, though, you will need a Leopard disc and have to do the upgrade in 2 stages.

The price of Leopard has come down many places, by the way. Only $97 on amazon.
  • Reply 43 of 127
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Apple definitely needed to make this break with their past OS X artwork. It's too hard to remember which giant "X" is which: The gloopy blue X, The steely iron X, the cat spots X (how many different cats do actually have spots?) It was getting difficult to identify a specific version of OS X just by the big "X" logo itself.

I could never keep Tiger and Leopard straight in my head. Was Tiger the new one or Leopard? Calling new one Snow Leopard makes it much easier to realize/remember that Snow Leopard is an upgrade of Leopard. And a new colored X wouldn't help.
  • Reply 44 of 127
    quinequine Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

Seriously, you can't afford the $33 total it would cost at most with sales tax? This isn't Adobe trying to foist another $2K CS update on you, its Apple giving you a great price on a highly improved and optimized OS.

As for the box art, it looks like they're going more Appstore style with all of the app/feature icons spread across the back.

Don't be so quick to criticize, a lot of people I know have been torrenting it just to get it early, and are just going to install the retail version once it comes out. Not all torrenting is to steal!
  • Reply 45 of 127
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

One will probably be able to do a clean install of SL without having a Leopard disc, but whether the license says it's allowed without a Leopard disc is a question yet to be answered AFAIK. My guess is the license will permit it. If you're running Tiger and want to avoid a clean install of Snow Leopard, though, you will need a Leopard disc and have to do the upgrade in 2 stages.

Tiger users will need to buy the Mac Box Set for $169 (maybe less or more), which will include SL, iLife 09, and iWork 09. My guess that you will be able to do clean install from the $29 Snow Leopard DVD without the need to install Leopard first. If Apple want to make it a little harder then they might just ask you to insert your Leopard DVD to confirm that you have it before the setup start. Once the DVD confirmed you might be asked to reinsert your Snow Leopard DVD to start the installation. However, your Mac must have an OS (Tiger, Leopard, or SL) installed and the installation DVD can check your HDD for which version you have.
  • Reply 46 of 127
    teunisteunis Posts: 23member
    Almost as nice as a wolf shirt. Almost.
  • Reply 47 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mick View Post

The $29 upgrade will require Leopard, but I have to imagine they will sell a full version for $129.

BTW - Just downloaded the box art from the PR site and it is the current box not the new SL box, my bad... I still believe that SL will very closely resemble the current OSX.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So if one wants to do a clean install and they purchased the $29 copy of SL, the procedure is . . . ?

There are four versions of Snow Leopard for consumers:
    • The $29 version for people already running Leopard

• The $49 family pack version (5 licenses) for people running Leopard.

• The $169 version for people not running Leopard, but that also includes the iLife and iWork ’09.

• The $229 family pack version (5 licenses) for people not running Leopard, but that also includes the iLife and iWork ’09.

The procedure will be interesting. Apple has never required a license to install OS X so that single version will install on as many Macs as you wish,but this is something new and with the Psystar crap going on it may not be in Apple’s best interest for you to be able to install Snow Leopard on any Intel Mac or hacked version that does not currently have Leopard installed for that price.
  • Reply 48 of 127
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Probably $40.00 CDN.

Not so sure.

Leopard in Canada is $129 CDN. In the US, its $129 USD.

iPhone in Canada is $199 CDN; US its $199 USD.

If anything, it won't be anymore than $34 CDN. I am betting on $29 CDN.
  • Reply 49 of 127
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    This is the real deal, guys. I'm already running the Golden Master version of Snow Leopard, and when you install it, you double-click on an icon perfectly similar to this picture.
  • Reply 50 of 127
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

There are four versions of Snow Leopard for consumers:
    ? The $29 version for people already running Leopard

? The $49 family pack version (5 licenses) for people running Leopard.

? The $169 version for people not running Leopard, but that also includes the iLife and iWork ?09.

? The $229 family pack version (5 licenses) for people not running Leopard, but that also includes the iLife and iWork ?09.

The procedure will be interesting. Apple has never required a license to install OS X so that single version will install on as many Macs as you wish,but this is something new and with the Psystar crap going on it may not be in Apple?s best interest for you to be able to install Snow Leopard on any Intel Mac or hacked version that does not currently have Leopard installed for that price.

Psystar has less to do with it than keeping the number of SKUs on the shelf the same and reducing support issues from users who could otherwise combine Snow Leopard with obsolete versions of iLife/iWork apps. It doesn't hurt that Psystar will have to pay the Box Set price to acquire a full Snow Leopard disc, but Psystar will probably bundle the iLife and iWork with their PCs.

A Mac OS X install disc that requires the previous version installed is not unprecedented. The Leopard Up-to-Date fulfillment disc, for customers who bought a Tiger-preloaded Mac after Leopard was announced, requires Tiger to be installed before installing Leopard, which means if those customers purchase the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade, they will have a three-step process (Tiger->Leopard->Snow Leopard) if they need to reinstall.

Regarding the box art, Apple obviously decided the purple nebula thing was way too similar to Leopard and had no marketing value. Apple wants every Leopard user to upgrade. They're not playing down the importance of this release. The only thing down is the price.
  • Reply 51 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7egend View Post

Actually Apple is trying to get away from full color boxes cause it requires more ink, which requires printers to work harder, which in turn is bad for the environment.

If you haven't noticed all of Apple's boxes are starting to resemble this style of box. Plus the crease on the back is like every other Apple box I have received, my MacBook Pro had one, MacBook had one, and my Mighty Mouse had one.

Might as well get used to it, this is potentially the final packaging for the software.

Yes. Make sense what you are saying...

but.. i dont know... the photo of that snow leopard is not the best... my sixt sense tell me this one is a fake...
  • Reply 52 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Not so sure.

Leopard in Canada is $129 CDN. In the US, its $129 USD.

iPhone in Canada is $199 CDN; US its $199 USD.

If anything, it won't be anymore than $34 CDN. I am betting on $29 CDN.

It's available to pre-order at amazon.ca for C$29.
  • Reply 53 of 127
    Well, i did some deep research about that pictures, and was taken in Newbridge, Kildare and not in Portugal. I dont know if Apple have something there, like designers of something, maybe someone could help..

How do I know this information? I found this photos here:

http://img291.imageshack.us/i/img0024reb.jpg/

http://img10.imageshack.us/i/img0020dtl.jpg/

http://img19.imageshack.us/i/img0028aic.jpg/

Download the full photos and see the details.. you will see the GPS coordinates and was taken on iPhone.. lol...

By the way, other think that proof this photos was not taken in Portugal is the Keyboard of the Macbook, dont have some special characters like "Ç" where is placed the regular english keyboard the character ";"
  • Reply 54 of 127
    The icon leak from a few days ago is real.

The icon picture has the same photo as this box.

That photo (of the snow leopard) is also included as a Desktop background, very much like the "Purple Cloud" Starfield was included as a Desktop background in Leopard.

The back of the box in the picture is very much in line with the way Apple would design the back of a retail box of software.

I would lay money on this being the real deal.
  • Reply 55 of 127
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

eBay has some really attractive prices on Leopard DVD's, for those who currently have Tiger and want to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Be careful, though, and make sure that you purchase the Mac OS X 10.5 retail version of Leopard and not the gray install discs that came with a Mac, because they may not work on a different Mac model.
  • Reply 56 of 127
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quine View Post

Don't be so quick to criticize, a lot of people I know have been torrenting it just to get it early, and are just going to install the retail version once it comes out. Not all torrenting is to steal!

Um, that's still breaking the law since you've illegally obtained a piece of software that has neither been cleared for public distribution or been licensed. So, in your case, it is. Now, if you download, say, Ubuntu as a torrent, thats perfectly legal and not stealing. I know, its tricky to figure it all out...
  • Reply 57 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

Um, that's still breaking the law since you've illegally obtained a piece of software that has neither been cleared for public distribution or been licensed. So, in your case, it is. Now, if you download, say, Ubuntu as a torrent, thats perfectly legal and not stealing. I know, its tricky to figure it all out...

Quine?s argument is like saying that it?s okay to download the DVD of an unreleased movie so long as you plan to buy it when the DVD is out, or to grab the CD prerelease of a musician so long as you plan to buy it when it comes out. I don?t think the courts would buy that argument.
  • Reply 58 of 127
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    The pictures don't seem likely, since Apple's site seems to have pictures of the disk and the box (of 10.6 server). They're variants of Leopard.
  • Reply 59 of 127
    soooo lame. just as somebody else said - so un-apple
  • Reply 60 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

The pictures don't seem likely, since Apple's site seems to have pictures of the disk and the box (of 10.6 server). They're variants of Leopard.

Apple changed its mind about the artwork between then and now. Amazon had those same preview images at first but they were asked to take them down.

As for "variants of Leopard", all versions of Mac OS X are variants of each other. Snow Leopard is actually a major release but most of the changes are under the hood. They dropped the price in line with perception of "lack of features". The low price is ironic because this is likely going to be the best OS Apple has ever released by far.