School shoppers choose netbooks over Apple, for now

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Really- what's an iPod Shuffle then?

Isn't the MacMini supposed to be the "affordable" Mac?

Excuses , excuses- Netbooks are penetrating deeper and deeper into the public consciousness- Apple missed the boat.

Um . . . The Shuffle is an MP3 player. Not a computer.

The Mini is a desktop system. Not a notebook.

No one is making any real money from netbooks, which is a problem.

Netbooks aren't a factor when it comes to Apple and Apple's market. Apple sells computers on margin, not volume. Apple "missed" the netbook market because it has no intention of being in it in the first place. And they were right.
  • Reply 22 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

That's hilarious- who are to assume what other people can and cannot afford, or what they would rather have? Maybe its just that- I know its hard to imagine- there are those who actually do want a non-Apple computer? You make yourself sound awfully haughty and arrogant, which, using your words, "is more or less expected."

We've all heard 70% of the US economy is driven by consumer spending...but did you know the top 10% wealthiest consumers drive 50% of the US economy?

That's apple's target demographic.
  • Reply 23 of 129
    Quote:

That's hilarious- who are to assume what other people can and cannot afford, or what they would rather have? Maybe its just that- I know its hard to imagine- there are those who actually do want a non-Apple computer? You make yourself sound awfully haughty and arrogant, which, using your words, "is more or less expected."

It comes down to income brackets and basic knowledge of Apple's pricing. Apple will always sell fewer Macs in comparison to PC sales. Macs are marketed and priced as Premium items. Apple functions at the highest tier of the market pyramid.

Just connect the dots. Apple's deomgraphic is NOT a reflection of the entire market. Hence, their 91% share of the $1000+ notebook market.
  • Reply 24 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I love the portability and versatility of my netbook. It's bout the size and weight of an average hard-back book, so I can take it just about anywhere.

I can hold it by one corner with one hand and not feel like the plastic is going to break or that my hand is going to fall off. It's plenty fast for my needs.

Yet, when I want more of a desktop computing experience, I simply plug in my USB keyboard and mouse and hook it up to a monitor.

I run a dual boot setup with Win XP and Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

Best $230 I ever spent.

If you have a standard desktop you use, I would suggest using Synergy so your mouse and keyboard can control the other machine as if it were just a second display. I'm glad you love your netbook, so do I. At home though, I have it sitting next to a desktop, but still its extremely usefull for skype and IM and email while I play games or watch videos and other things. For home network troubleshooting, its awesome too.

I too have XP and Ubuntu running on my netbook. One of these days soon I'll ditch XP and run just Ubuntu.

Now, if Apple made a netbook and sold it for 499 or 599, it'd sell VERY quickly. Knowing Apple, won't happen.

Till then, try putting OS X on your netbook. I did it once, and besides the WiFi, everything worked GREAT!
  • Reply 25 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

USB Keyboard + USB Mouse + monitor = problem solved

Spend that money for $400 15.4" notebook with a dual core CPU, 4GB RAM, adequate storage and many more other options and they a portal computer that is also usable for long durations. But to each their own, if a netbook suits your needs then go for it. Personally I'd go for a $400 notebook or a used $300 notebook over a netbook anyday. But to each their own, if a netbook suits your needs then go for it.
  • Reply 26 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Um . . .

No one is making any real money from netbooks, which is a problem.

Netbooks aren't a factor when it comes to Apple and Apple's market. Apple sells computers on margin, not volume. Apple "missed" the netbook market because it has no intention of being in it in the first place. And they were right.

Exactly! Well said.

You can see the Dell's, HP's and MS' of the world slowly realizing they have chosen the wrong business model, ie., "volume over margin." And now they are all scrambling to do a weak copy of Apple's proven and very successful approach. MS wraps a substandard Vista in Aero, Dell repackages substandard laptops with pink or orange plastic covers. All in lame attempts to add value so they can charge more.

It may be too late for these "leopard's" to change horses in mid-stream!
  • Reply 27 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Apple "missed" the netbook market because it has no intention of being in it in the first place. And they were right.

Right and everbody that's buying a NetBook now will simply go out and buy in addition an Apple tablet when it becomes available. Wrong.
  • Reply 28 of 129
    And this magical "Tablet" isn't aimed at the netbook market. It won't cost $230, unless there's some sort of subsidization involved. A Tablet is not a netbook. it's not an anything, but a Tablet. It's an entirely different animal that will open up an entirely new segment of mobile computing. It's got nothing to do with netbooks because it won't compete with most cheap netbooks.

Apple has thus far (and is poised to continue) bypassed the cheap netbook market entirely without so much as batting an eyelash.

Does it bother you that the netbook market is large, but Apple doesn't want to be involved? Is there something wrong with Apple being selective??

Apple is expected to have a blowout Q4, and to top it off, a lot of that will come from Mac sales. If only 17% of students will contribute to that . . . oh well.
  • Reply 29 of 129
    delete.
  • Reply 30 of 129
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Spend that money for $400 15.4" notebook with a dual core CPU, 4GB RAM, adequate storage and many more other options and they a portal computer that is also usable for long durations. But to each their own, if a netbook suits your needs then go for it. Personally I'd go for a $400 notebook or a used $300 notebook over a netbook anyday. But to each their own, if a netbook suits your needs then go for it.

That's exactly it - it comes down to preference. I want my portable computer to be REALLY portable, so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of power for that.

In fact, I don't think I'd want a screen larger than 8.9" since it would require a larger form factor.

Storage-wise, my netbook has a 160 GB hard drive, so that's pretty adequate for me. One of these days I'll upgrade the RAM from 1 to 2 GB.
  • Reply 31 of 129
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    That is a baloney. What kind of survey will just sample 300 persons. According to the U.S. Census Bureau 34 million people go to college in the United States. 16.5 million People are seeking a college degree and 17.5 million students are seeking their post-secondary degree.

300 out of 34 million. How can you make a conclusion based on such minute sample.

Don't believe it!
  • Reply 32 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

We've all heard 70% of the US economy is driven by consumer spending...but did you know the top 10% wealthiest consumers drive 50% of the US economy?

That's apple's target demographic.

So you're basing whether or not someone is wealthy on whether or not they can afford an Apple computer (or vise versa)? Apple computers are expensive, yes, but the notion that only the wealthy are able to afford one, or for that matter, that the wealthy are Apple's sole customers is both naive and false.

Quote:

It comes down to income brackets and basic knowledge of Apple's pricing. Apple will always sell fewer Macs in comparison to PC sales. Macs are marketed and priced as Premium items. Apple functions at the highest tier of the market pyramid.

I think that's common knowledge, but thanks for the reminder.

Quote:

Just connect the dots. Apple's demographic is NOT a reflection of the entire market. Hence, their 91% share of the $1000+ notebook market.

I do not see the relevance of this, particularly to my post, which was in reference to your original post, in which you made a baseless assumption of the reason behind consumers' purchases given the actual data.
  • Reply 33 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

That is a baloney. What kind of survey will just sample 300 persons. According to the U.S. Census Bureau 34 million people go to college in the United States. 16.5 million People are seeking a college degree and 17.5 million students are seeking their post-secondary degree.

300 out of 34 million. How can you make a conclusion based on such minute sample.

Don't believe it!

Well, iPhone customer satisfaction surveys, for one.

But seriously, you don't really need a survey in 2009 to figure out that the 3GS is a great product and people are happy with it.

You do make a fair point, however. There might be a difference between the age/level of students with respect to this issue.
  • Reply 34 of 129
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right and everbody that's buying a NetBook now will simply go out and buy in addition an Apple tablet when it becomes available. Wrong.

There's nothing to indicate that people who buy sub-$400 netbooks would constitute much of the target market for an Apple tablet, which will likely cost substantially more (assuming it will even exist in the first place).
  • Reply 35 of 129
    Quote:

I do not see the relevance of this, particularly to my post, which was in reference to your original post, in which you made a baseless assumption of the reason behind consumers' purchases given the actual data.

What was my assumption, exactly?
  • Reply 36 of 129
    Quote:

So you're basing whether or not someone is wealthy on whether or not they can afford an Apple computer (or vise versa)? Apple computers are expensive, yes, but the notion that only the wealthy are able to afford one, or for that matter, that the wealthy are Apple's sole customers is both naive and false. :

Reread my post and don't be such a twit.
  • Reply 37 of 129
    Here, I fixed the title while adding 25% more foreboding:

"School shoppers choose netbooks over Apple, for now.. DUN DUN DUNNNN!!!!!!!!"
  • Reply 38 of 129
    I agree with Quadra610 in that some percentage of people are getting what they can afford and not what they want. If prices were equal then more people would be buying Apple, no question.
  • Reply 39 of 129
    Quote:

So you're basing whether or not someone is wealthy on whether or not they can afford an Apple computer (or vise versa)? Apple computers are expensive, yes, but the notion that only the wealthy are able to afford one, or for that matter, that the wealthy are Apple's sole customers is both naive and false.

It's just the nature of the Premium market.

It should be obvious it's not comprised of "only the wealthy", but it doesn't take a whole lot to see who Apple's main demographic is and who would most likely constitute the bulk of Apple's market.

I didn't create it. It's just the way the divisions in the market happen.

Why are you feeling so insulted over this?
  • Reply 40 of 129
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I have suggested to all college students that they go to school with a netbook and desktop computer. Sync the two when you get back to your room. You do not need huge power in the classroom. Just something to download your class notes, type notes, and record the lecture if you want. And its gotta fit on those tiny pull out desks they have. The netbook fits perfectly in this area. Apple makes no netbook, so it has to be a PC.

As for the desktop, I suggest they use what they want. Apple/PC, doesn't matter. The reason I don't suggest ONE laptop and that's it, is the fact that so many get stolen, or damaged over time. Expensive to replace, and a desktop is harder to steal. With two computers, given you do it right, you have a back up every night so if one computer dies, you aren't SOL in terms of your assignments. The cost isn't that bad either for the two (if you choose PC). My brother got a netbook and i7 PC for the same price as an iMac. He loves the two machines, one for the power and one for the portability. Its a great college system between the two! And was 1200 dollars. (Netbook: 400, i7: 800... he got a decent deal that should come around again soon.)

You could do the same by getting the white MB, and an iMac... but now you have spent roughly 2300 dollars. Syncing would be done manually, or via MobileMe, or some other pay for third party (unless someone can find me a free network sync tool for Mac. I've been looking for one for a while now actually!)

And if you take your class notes on your iPhone / iPod touch... I want to see your notes! Impress me.

(One note to those getting netbooks for school. Opt for the 6cell machines. They will last you all day. For those with a kick for gaming, wait till the ION netbooks fully arrive. Not fully a gaming or HD movie machine by any means, but much better than the 950 chip)

My feeling is taking notes in class on a computer is stupid unless you're in training to become a secretary. Learning how to operate your brain, a tape recorder for confirming the outline of your notes with a pencil and paper is more than enough. Computers don't do the thinking. Students need to be able to process and question the information they are given, since most "information" is opinion and a lot of it is just arrived at by consensus. When you consider a generation that came before us without laptops managed to give us Einstein, Edison and other geniuses, and then consider we live in a supposedly miraculous, connected era that can only manage to give us Twitter... well, I just don't see the value to people who actually need to think as well as learn.