School shoppers choose netbooks over Apple, for now

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Got 13" white Mac Book for my folks earlier this summer. Too weighty. Apple makes us buy illusions, as usual.
  • Reply 102 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

An $80 MP3 player where cheap models are $25.

A $600 desktop where the cheap desktops are $300.

No excuses. Apple doesn't do low end so no boat to miss. If Apple made a netbook it would cost $799...you might as well buy a white MB for $999 if it still existed.

You're confusing cheap and affordable. Cheap is something Apple doesn't have any interest in. Affordable, on the other hand, is what the Mini is, especially considering it's bundled with a decent software package. By the time you properly set up a "cheap" PC, you'll have spent as much as, if not more, than for the Mini. Cheap isn't as cheap as you might think.

Also, I do think that Apple could do a very capable netbook, as in a device well-suited to surfing the net, for about $400. Make what amounts to an iPod Touch with a 6" screen and you're there. A netbook patterned after the competition's netbook form factor would, as you correctly note, come in at around $799 and I would think there is no market for such a device. Hence, Apple bringing such a contraption to market is about the least likeliest scenario imaginable.
  • Reply 103 of 129
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robblewis View Post

I agree with Quadra610 in that some percentage of people are getting what they can afford and not what they want. If prices were equal then more people would be buying Apple, no question.

its a port in the storm, they justify because of price and as time goes on and their needs grow they will then strongly consider mac just like most students---it won't take long

start checking returns and ebay
  • Reply 104 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I think you are missing his point.

He is saying that not everyone who doesn't purchase Mac can't afford it. People will buy non-Mac computer for number of reasons beside price.

Thank you Nikon, that was exactly my point. And Chris, I am anything but a twit. When you can actually have conversation and debate and not resort to name-calling, let me know.
  • Reply 105 of 129
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    i feel using the word < prefer > slants the whole meaning of the survey ?

Young kids want to have fun . 15 16 17 yrs olds want games and video and you tube on and on . They want power as in sexy fast cool .....

For many a net book may be the only option/ and i guess it should be a good word processor and email/internet but in 24 months daddy may very well get them a true full laptop, if the netbook fails too often to serve the childs needs ..

Net books will evolve to have fuller functions as a large laptop has in a few yrs. The race to the bottom will continue .

I guess I am a snob here, A net book has a use for a lot of people . I just fear that millions of these are bought as a 300 dollar throwaway toy and they will end up as more toxic fill.
  • Reply 106 of 129
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Your exactly right, they are.

Some people need a crappy little device as a disposable extension of a regular full featured laptop or desktop.

Using a netbook as one's only computer, under the delusion that emailing, web surfing and saving a text file every now and then is the only thing a computer is good for, is terribly misleading.

Once these people realize that they want to organize and edit their photo's, torrent, run office software, run itunes and update their iPods, rip songs off of cds and so on and so on. They are going to be looking to get another computer and pay more with the combined amount of two computers (and two anti-malware for Windows) than if they just bought one good computer to begin with.

A Mac empowers people, it provides a stable and reliable operating system and everything one could need if they should ever need it. Perfect for a student who is at school to better and learn about themselves, because without the tools one can't learn or try anything.

With a MacBook Pro, one can even run other operating systems at the same time as others (I got 4 going once, but it slowed down quite a bit) so one can even play around with the other OS's as to be even more educated and employable.

If your investing tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in your education to better yourself, why stop with a sub-par netbook as a main computer?

Well perhaps for your "mom" a old and tired PC with a bloat laden operating system like Vista is good enough, but for someone who raised me from birth and dealt with all that deserves something a heck of a lot better. Less headaches for you and more happiness for her, unless you want it otherwise. I'm of the mindset that I rather not want to be "fixing" all my friends and families computers and being blamed for Windows inferiority and issues.

Concerning Mac's supposed premium prices. If one compares specifications of a Mac with a similar quality PC, they are nearly the same in hardware, the OS and bundled software is considerably better quality.

It's when the hardware quality of the PC drops and that is compared to a quality Mac, the price difference is obvious.

And concerning the MacPro (and XServer), now that Apple switched to Intel processors, the PowerPC processor advantage that caused a lot of enterprise types to buy these computers in volume have disappeared.

After all one can shop around for any Intel box, and enterprise usually has their own OS plans and IT staff to make a better hardware value decision.

3D games have moved to console devices mostly and away from complicated PC's and Mac's, so that's less of a reason to buy a MacPro.

Software for video, which Apple has some of the best, is the chief reason to buy their heavy duty hardware and perhaps soon even that will go in favor of using XGrid and Apple's NC server farm perhaps.

Processing power is going to be shifted away from on the computer itself to another location.

People will have a device or devices that are simply input/command and control, basically just dumb terminals with storage and a lot more power at their disposal that can be had with normal computing as we know it. This will allow for thin, light portable devices with a lot longer battery life and drastic amounts of performance.

Want to render your ray tracing sketched out on your iTablet? Boom, it's done in seconds instead of days, weeks or months.

That's the future, the only future it can be when processors can't be made to go any faster or cooler.

strange, the only time she complained was when she needed more RAM past the 512MB that she originally had and she had quality issues with skype. at 2GB she's fine. and after upgrading skype she's all set

a lot of people these days only check email, facebook and a few other things on the internet. no need for the software that comes with a Mac like garage band

some games live Civilization are still best played on PC
  • Reply 107 of 129
    I believe tablets are going to redefine education moreso than netbooks as these devices will be thin, light and stand as a replacement for books, as well as functioning as a computer. Me thinks Apple may indeed have a stellar 4th quarter.
  • Reply 108 of 129
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new study suggests students prefer low-cost netbooks over Apple's MacBook, but some believe the Mac-maker's long-rumored tablet could take a large portion of low-end laptop sales.

Why would you buy a tablet instead of a netbook? It doesn't make any sense.

Most people buy netbooks because they are small, light and cheap but you can still do most of what you need to do like emails, web surfing, word processing, etc. Have you tried typing on a tablet interface? It's slow and tedious. I certainly would not want to type a long document on one. Tablets were designed for people who do a lot of graphics work or who fill in surveys on the move (like pavement market researchers) not for students.
  • Reply 109 of 129
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Got 13" white Mac Book for my folks earlier this summer. Too weighty. Apple makes us buy illusions, as usual.

Next time you are concerned about weight, go to a store and pick up the machine. Or read the bloody specs!

Apple doesn't make you buy anything. You're just a poor shopper.
  • Reply 110 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

You're just a poor shopper.

I am. Apple can't offer me better laptop.
  • Reply 111 of 129
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Highest customer satisfaction rate in the indsutry, for several years running. Record Mac sales. OS X the envy of the industry.

All "illusions", right?

Are your other 600 or so posts the same kind of pseudo-astroturfing? Or are you just having a bad day?
  • Reply 112 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Highest customer satisfaction rate in the indsutry, for several years running. Record Mac sales. OS X the envy of the industry.

All "illusions", right?

This very rate of user satisfaction puzzles me a lot.
  • Reply 113 of 129
    Quote:

This very rate of user satisfaction puzzles me a lot.

So you aren't impressed with Apple products in general, right?
  • Reply 114 of 129
    Quote:

So you aren't impressed with Apple prioducts in general, right?

No, no. Computers can't impress me anymore. No way. I'm just trying to understand what tethers Apple customers (me too) to these products... So far I fail.
  • Reply 115 of 129
    Quote:

No, no. Computers can't impress me anymore. No way. I'm just trying to understand what tethers Apple customers (me too) to these products... So far I fail.

So if you're not interested in discussing Apple/Apple products/the Apple "lifestyle", and so on, and if you keep failing to understand why the rest of us are here, then why do you bother to make comments? Why are you here, exactly?

It's all the same to me, really, it's just that I don't see you profiting in any way from participating in these discussions, since all of your posts will be, by default, trolling.

What's more disturbing, is that you're a self-confessed Apple customer - you made a choice to buy, yet you find no value in it. So in other words you don't know why you are an Apple customer.

Frankly, I think you've got bigger problems than simply not understanding the general interest in Apple. I'm not sure we can help you.
  • Reply 116 of 129
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:

So if you're not interested in discussing Apple/Apple products/the Apple "lifestyle", and so on, and if you keep failing to understand why the rest of us are here, then why do you bother to make comments? Why are you here, exactly?

It's all the same to me, really, it's just that I don't see you profiting in any way from participating in these discussions, since all of your posts will be, by default, trolling.

What's more disturbing, is that you're a self-confessed Apple customer - you made a choice to buy, yet you find no value in it. So in other words you don't know why you are an Apple customer.

Frankly, I think you've got bigger problems than simply not understanding the general interest in Apple. I'm not sure we can help you.

I'm also puzzled. I don't currently own a Mac, yet I can see the great benefit and value in owning one. I know why I want one.

I don't know why anyone would buy anything they didn't see value in, but I suppose it is possible and does happen.
  • Reply 117 of 129
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

I am. Apple can't offer me better laptop.

That is not what you said.

You said that Apple made you buy a computer. And that Apple was creating some kind of "illusion" that it was somehow lighter than it actually is.

Both are not true.

We here all like a good debate. Even a healthy argument, but stop just making things up.
  • Reply 118 of 129
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

strange, the only time she complained was when she needed more RAM past the 512MB that she originally had and she had quality issues with skype. at 2GB she's fine. and after upgrading skype she's all set

a lot of people these days only check email, facebook and a few other things on the internet. no need for the software that comes with a Mac like garage band

some games live Civilization are still best played on PC

I've had to misfortune of being decades in this industry and having two sister-in-laws that have cost me [in time] roughly 200 hours of my personal time fixing all that they screw up whether it's NT/2000/XP and now Vista.

One bought the most recent 17" Macbook Pro and I haven't received a phone call in the past 3 months.

I've received a weekly call for the other sister-in-law using her Acer Vista POS regular size laptop.

One of the biggest pains in the ass was the typical purchase of the All-in-One HP photo/fax/scan printers for a throw away price.

Combine that with a cheap Netgear Router-Switch 802.11n nothing on HP was worth a crap so I had to go back to my fundamentals of TCP/IP and Subnets to force the printer to hang on the same subnet and presto! The POS finally was visible to Vista, only after the laptop and printer were on the same exact WAP Personal set up.

A cheap, non-managed Router-Switch-Wireless access point combined with a cheap printer and a cheap laptop has resulted in her brother-in-law investing more in service labor [she is getting charged later on] than the cost of buying a Macbook Pro 15 and a Brother HL-4070CDW Color Laser Printer.
  • Reply 119 of 129
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I've had to misfortune of being decades in this industry and having two sister-in-laws that have cost me [in time] roughly 200 hours of my personal time fixing all that they screw up whether it's NT/2000/XP and now Vista.

One bought the most recent 17" Macbook Pro and I haven't received a phone call in the past 3 months.

I've received a weekly call for the other sister-in-law using her Acer Vista POS regular size laptop.

One of the biggest pains in the ass was the typical purchase of the All-in-One HP photo/fax/scan printers for a throw away price.

Combine that with a cheap Netgear Router-Switch 802.11n nothing on HP was worth a crap so I had to go back to my fundamentals of TCP/IP and Subnets to force the printer to hang on the same subnet and presto! The POS finally was visible to Vista, only after the laptop and printer were on the same exact WAP Personal set up.

A cheap, non-managed Router-Switch-Wireless access point combined with a cheap printer and a cheap laptop has resulted in her brother-in-law investing more in service labor [she is getting charged later on] than the cost of buying a Macbook Pro 15 and a Brother HL-4070CDW Color Laser Printer.

MS tax, maybe we could get a cash for clunker's program
  • Reply 120 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're not alone. \