Poor bets placed on Apple taking dual tablet route in September

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Analysts and industry-watchers alike are constantly scraping the barrel for details on Apple's forthcoming tablet-based device but are consistently missing the mark, AppleInsider has been told.



The latest example came by way of Richard Doherty, a director at market researcher for Envisioneering Group, who recently told BusinessWeek that Apple is working on two different versions of its multi-touch tablet.



More specifically, Doherty said one resembles a large-sized iPod with a 6-inch screen, while the second sports an even larger display. He added that Apple could launch both devices as early as September, a decision which he said rests in the hands of chief executive Steve Jobs.



This information, however, is far from accurate, according to people who've long been familiar with company's plans to redefine the market for portable computing with a slate-like device akin to a modern day Newton MessagePad.



These same people maintain that Apple is working on a single 10-inch device which will launch no earlier than the first calendar quarter of next year, which runs January through March.



For more on Apple's tablet plans, see:



Up next for Apple: the return of the Newton - Sept. 2007

Sources: Apple Newton-tablet not ripe for Macworld - Jan. 2008

Apple's much-anticipated tablet device coming early next year - July 2009
«13456

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,260member
    Isn't reporting on reports that scrape the barrel ... scraping the barrel?
  • Reply 2 of 117
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    I wonder how much of this is misdirection on Apple's part.



    It would seem to be in their interest to keep the rumor mills churning and churning... to keep the interest up at a fever pitch. To this end, I think Apple has been leaking incorrect information. Else everyone (including AI) is totally full of crap. (a high probability)



    Look at the wide range of estimates on just about every point (6" or 10"- one or two devices- OSX or iPhoneOS...) I think Apple is orchestrating all this (and probably does with each new release) and it also smoothers any real information that might actually leak out. Everyone knows something is coming, so keep the interest up by seeding the rumors with all kinds of (valid/invalid) information.



    KRR



    PS. The reality distortion field is on full power! Captain!
  • Reply 3 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krreagan View Post


    I wonder how much of this is misdirection on Apple's part.



    It would seem to be in their interest to keep the rumor mills churning and churning... to keep the interest up at a fever pitch. To this end, I think Apple has been leaking incorrect information. Else everyone (including AI) is totally full of crap. (a high probability)



    Look at the wide range of estimates on just about every point (6" or 10"- one or two devices- OSX or iPhoneOS...) I think Apple is orchestrating all this (and probably does with each new release) and it also smoothers any real information that might actually leak out. Everyone knows something is coming, so keep the interest up by seeding the rumors with all kinds of (valid/invalid) information.



    KRR



    PS. The reality distortion field is on full power! Captain!



    I have absolutely no idea one way or the other but IMHO I doubt Apple have to do anything in the way of creating rumors. I have never been a conspiracy theory type
  • Reply 4 of 117
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    It is good that secrecy is generating all this distortion field... even though Apple may not be doing this directly. Keeps competitors like Palm, MSFT off their balance... keeps them day late and dollar short!
  • Reply 5 of 117
    We will find out when we find out. Why is this a big deal anyhow? Apple sure must love all the free marketing by their own secrecy.



    That said. If the tablet runs the iPhone OS X, I don't think it would do too well since it would be a large device with no real keyboard. iPhone is a good size for a palmtop device.

    If it uses its own new version of OS X, I'm sure that'll make developers happy.

    My hope is that it uses Snow Leopard. That would make sense to let us use the device as a regular computer.

    My guess, is the first. How disappointing.



    Eh, but why would I care, I won't be buying the thing. Its fun to watch everyone else guess about Apple too. That and to voice the other side are really the only reasons I come here.
  • Reply 6 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krreagan View Post


    I wonder how much of this is misdirection on Apple's part.



    It would seem to be in their interest to keep the rumor mills churning and churning... to keep the interest up at a fever pitch. To this end, I think Apple has been leaking incorrect information. Else everyone (including AI) is totally full of crap. (a high probability)



    Look at the wide range of estimates on just about every point (6" or 10"- one or two devices- OSX or iPhoneOS...) I think Apple is orchestrating all this (and probably does with each new release) and it also smoothers any real information that might actually leak out. Everyone knows something is coming, so keep the interest up by seeding the rumors with all kinds of (valid/invalid) information.



    KRR



    PS. The reality distortion field is on full power! Captain!



    Agreed, the rumour mill is the best PR Apple could wish for, nobody can generate pre-lease hype like Apple and if they aren't fuelling I'd be greatly suprised.
  • Reply 7 of 117
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Isn't reporting on reports that scrape the barrel ... scraping the barrel?



    It's scraping the ground the barrel was rumored to sit on at some point in time.
  • Reply 8 of 117
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    The small tablet is probably going to run the App Store which is probably why Apple is building that server farm. If they start on it now, then it can be build by the time the tablet launches next year.
  • Reply 9 of 117
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Off topic
  • Reply 10 of 117
    irelandireland Posts: 17,589member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    OFF TOPIC



    Great article on Snow Leopard



    OFF TOPIC. Then why did you post the damn post. Please, use that mushy brain of yours next time.
  • Reply 11 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    OFF TOPIC. Then why did you post the damn post. Please, use that mushy brain of yours next time.



    Are you what is referred to in US speak as 'A piece of work' ...?
  • Reply 12 of 117
    irelandireland Posts: 17,589member
    There will be one tablet, the base model will cost $999 (around 64GB SSD), it will have a 10.1" LCD screen, it will run Mac OS X touch, it will replace the MacBook (later in the year Apple will revoke the use of "Pro" in the MacBook lineup altogether). It will be demoed at CES 2010 or at a March 2010 Apple event. It will be targeted squarely at the consumer electronics market, but it will have full-blown computer capabilities. It will run a touch based version of Snow Leopard. It will not have a physical keyboard. It will contain a built-in rest on the back of the device. It will change the computer industry forever.
  • Reply 13 of 117
    irelandireland Posts: 17,589member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Are you what is referred to in US speak as 'A piece of work' ...?



    Can't blame me for someone deliberately posting an OFF TOPIC post on an article, and having the brawn to call it OFF TOPIC. If it's off topic then we don't need to here about it in this post.
  • Reply 14 of 117
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,578member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Can't blame me for someone deliberately posting an OFF TOPIC post on an article, and having the brawn to call it OFF TOPIC. If it's off topic then we don't need to here about it in this post.



    Straying off-topic can sometimes lead to something interesting. Not that that particular post seemed to be headed anywhere, but...
  • Reply 15 of 117
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    I have absolutely no idea one way or the other but IMHO I doubt Apple have to do anything in the way of creating rumors. I have never been a conspiracy theory type



    it's part of modern marketing



    you create rumors and then monitor the internet for what people say about it to see the interest level and opinion. Technorati and others have been doing it for years.
  • Reply 16 of 117
    irelandireland Posts: 17,589member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Straying off-topic can sometimes lead to something interesting. Not that that particular post seemed to be headed anywhere, but...



    It is also against posting guidelines, and for good reason. That reminds me, the most nutritious part of the kiwi is the skin. Flavonoids and all that good stuff, but that's completely off topic, excuse me while I choose the correct forum to post my post.



    If you want to talk about Snow Leopard there's a Mac OS forum especially for you.
  • Reply 17 of 117
    I've finally figured out what Apple should call this new category/game changer:



    Handy







    Don't laugh, it grows on you!
  • Reply 18 of 117
    irelandireland Posts: 17,589member
    Conspiracy theories are for people with too much time in their hands. My thinking is watch what Apple does, not what they say. They lie constantly. When it comes to rumors, a good rule of thumb is to go with your gut and intelligence, and disregard most rumors outright. When it came to phones it was obvious Apple was going to make one, they sort of had no choice. The tablet situation isn't so clear, so you need to feel the thing out a bit more, and use even more gut. Apple like to lead the way, and from the best information our there, the iPhone came from tablet prototypes and R&D. I just get this feeling it's 100% real, and I've learned to trust such strong feelings in the past. 10.1" is the best size for this device, for many reasons, not the least of which, it clearly distinguishes it from the 3.5" iPhone, which my bet is something Apple will be desperate to do. They want to make this as clear as possible. This is not simply a bigger iPhone, it's a touch-screen Mac. From a marketing POV this distinction is HUGE.
  • Reply 19 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    it's part of modern marketing



    you create rumors and then monitor the internet for what people say about it to see the interest level and opinion. Technorati and others have been doing it for years.





    I agree. If they are willing to use a hated journalist as the means to share Steve Jobs' health issues, they can "seed" prototype closed viewings to prompt rumors. This can be misdirection of the public, simultaneously, misdirection of competitors, and a light form of focus groups, since Apple doesn't really use them.
  • Reply 20 of 117
    neilmneilm Posts: 612member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    It's scraping the ground the barrel was rumored to sit on at some point in time.



    If there ever was a barrel, which we're neither confirming nor denying at this time.
Sign In or Register to comment.