Yahoo issues, retracts complaint about Apple's App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Soon after the product manager for Yahoo's Messenger program for iPhone posted a complaint about Apple, the official company blog retracted the post and chalked it up to a misunderstanding.

"My bad," Sarah Bacon began her corrected post, "I was mistaken."

Originally, the product manager had criticized the iPhone maker in a post entitled "And so we wait...on Apple." In it, Bacon said that the iPhone App Store approval process was "somewhat unpredictable," and she blamed Apple for the delay of the latest update to Yahoo Messenger.

While she originally said the application had been submitted to Apple for approval weeks ago, that changed in the retraction soon posted on the Yahoo Messenger Blog.

"Turns out I didn't have the latest information about our Yahoo! Messenger for iPhone app, which is awaiting approval and release by Apple," she said, adding that the company withdrew its previous submission of the program to make changes.

She continued: "So the newly submitted Yahoo! Messenger for iPhone app has been with Apple for less than a week, and is well within the timeframe for their approval process."

Yahoo now expects Apple to approve their update to its Messenger application very soon, and Bacon admitted she jumped the gun in criticizing the iPhone maker. In recent weeks, Apple's approval process for the App Store has come under fire in the media, prompting company executive Phil Schiller to personally fight back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    In a related story, Yahoo has announced the reassignment of their former Yahoo product manager to their new remote office located in a suburb of Nome, AK.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

In a related story, Yahoo has announced the reassignment of their former Yahoo product manager to their new remote office located in a suburb of Nome, AK.

Can you imagine how she would have reacted if they had actually {gasp} asked her to change something about the app?
  • Reply 3 of 42
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    a complaint about how long it takes apple to approve something from a company who takes forever to release Yahoo IM feature on the mac long after the feature existed on their non Mac application.

So when they are in a hurry apple has to jump and when they drag their feet releasing features for the rest of us they could care less.

I think apple should send them a letter saying when you start stepping up your efforts to support our product then maybe we will release your apps on the iphone a little faster.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Can you say, "Oops!"
  • Reply 5 of 42
    "My bad."
  • Reply 6 of 42
    You guys should read the comments on the blog post. Quite funny.

Also, they appear to have deleted comments from the entry before they edited the post.

I hope one day they will do something about Yahoo! Messenger for Mac. Do it right or just let it die. Maybe they could just kill it and use the developers to work on Adium to make it fully functional with all Yahoo! services. That would be great. Think of it: Having Adium work perfectly with Yahoo! and maybe downloading a small Adium Xtra for SMS and whatever premium features Yahoo! has.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Hahahahahaha.......fools.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbehunin View Post

Can you say, "Oops!"

Well, I wouldn't throw away all that hard work on the blog post...

IMHO the person should hang on to it since it'll come in handy eventually.. Lets face it Apple app store approval process is not exactly a work of art... they have usability to consider, mature content entanglements at every turn and finally the CEO of AT&T has to be in a good mood or the app gets the axe...

Okay so I've gone a little beyond the truth, but not as far as you'd think... \

I mean these lame excuses like the Application was rejected since it duplicates the functionality already present in the iPhone? What are they smokin!?! That excuse could disqualify 99% of the apps on the app store if they felt like it. They don't, and they wouldn't, but the great thing about a nebulous excuse like that is they can use it whenever and however it suites them.

It's tantamount to cops giving out speeding tickets in a town without any speed limit signs.

Q: How was I speeding officer? This town has no speed limit signs anywhere!

A: Simple, you were speeding because I said you were speeding!

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 42
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"My bad," Sarah Bacon began her corrected post, "I was mistaken."

"Turns out I didn't have the latest information about our Yahoo! Messenger for iPhone app?" adding that the company withdrew its previous submission of the program to make changes.

She is not alone.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    It's apple's ballpark. They make and break the rules. Leave them alone.

You think 20 odd million people are going to throw their iPhones away because a handfull of developers threaten to go to the Zune-phone!?!

Blog releases like this are just link bait to advertise vapourware. If I were Apple I would announce and enforce a minimum 2 month ban on release post-approval to developers who publicly criticize their process.

That'll keep the interwebs focussed on real issues... like how many cameras the new iTablet is going to have!
  • Reply 11 of 42
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    It is typical of women to accuse first and say "I am sorry later".

It's like your girlfriend accusing you of cheating, before asking where you were.

Why do all these companies feel like Apple owe them something? Apple is not a public utility company. And iPhone is not a life necessity like water or electricity. Get your high horses and stop complaining.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

It's like your girlfriend accusing you of cheating, before asking where you were.

Why do all these companies feel like Apple owe them something? Apple is not a public utility company. And iPhone is not a life necessity like water or electricity. Get your high horses and stop complaining.

Say that that was a joke, please. Or delete it. We really don't need those types of remarks here, even if some of our readers and posters weren't women, which they are.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    This is what happens when people start piling on. All developers start to get a chip on their shoulder and feel like they have been wronged even before anything bad happens to them. They start to expect Apple to screw them over somehow. Then, at the least provocation, they point the finger and blame Apple for a none existent problem. The evil Apple empire is just the latest meme.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Actually, the store does have problems. There are so many apps being submitted that it's difficult to know what all those reviewers are doing. This is too dependent on some reviewer deciding on their own that an app should be rejected, or not rejected.

Thats one reason why some of those rejections get reversed.

Apple must simplify their rules so that they can't be interpreted differently by different people reviewing apps, and also so that developers reading them know EXACTLY what they can, and can't do.

That doesn't seem to be the situation now, and I wonder if that's intentional on Apple's part.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Now that is Fark-like comment.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Meanwhile, Yahoo have been trying to figure out how they lost a near monopoly on search to an unknown startup...
  • Reply 17 of 42
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Say that that was a joke, please. Or delete it. We really don't need those types of remarks here, even if some of our readers and posters weren't women, which they are.

you are a moderator. there should be a delete button in front of you.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

you are a moderator. there should be a delete button in front of you.

Thank you for explaining. I was wondering how I've deleted other posts in the past.

I prefer to give people a chance to rectify their errors, as long as it isn't going too far off, otherwise, I will delete it. I still will if a response is forthcoming soon enough.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    It's fun to watch how things can get off-topic really fast
  • Reply 20 of 42
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmoeser View Post

It's apple's ballpark. They make and break the rules. Leave them alone.

You think 20 odd million people are going to throw their iPhones away because a handfull of developers threaten to go to the Zune-phone!?!

Blog releases like this are just link bait to advertise vapourware. If I were Apple I would announce and enforce a minimum 2 month ban on release post-approval to developers who publicly criticize their process.

That'll keep the interwebs focussed on real issues... like how many cameras the new iTablet is going to have!

I realize that, developers realize that and future buyers realize that...

__NOT__ a problem!

What I'm having a hard time understanding is how you seem as giddy as a schoolgirl with Apple having such total control over what Apps you can and cant run on your computer.... err.. iPhone... err... computer?

In this day and age I'm having a harder and harder time discerning the difference.

Dave