Apple to release Mac OS X Snow Leopard on August 28

Comments

• Reply 61 of 215
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I'm in the same boat but my concern is all the talk of the Mini being discontinued. Hopefully there is at least one more hardware update planned for the Mini because if there is, that's the machine I'm going to buy. If not, then the MacBook Pro it is.

The update to the mini they just did earlier this summer was probably about the biggest update you'll see for awhile (new graphics, miniDisplayPort, FW800, "n" wifi). If/when the next update comes it will likely be very minor. So unless you think there's going to be some new hardware spec it's going to gain, or a price drop, both of which are unlikely, you might as well get the current model and start enjoying it. Probably not worth the wait.
  • Reply 62 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomaspin View Post

Will it run PPC apps?

Many of us still use Intuit's Quicken (no Universal version available yet) and Photoshop CS2 (have you checked the price of CS4?)

Yes, but the Rosetta install (which allows Intel Macs to run PPC code) is now optional. I don't know how this is implemented in the Snow Leopard upgrade procedure, but if it's not obvious, a lot of users will be tripped up. This could become the number one complaint.
  • Reply 63 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

One of the worst kept secrets.... even the box was leaked...

I'd almost prefer not to see the leaks, but it is so hard these days unless you turn off the internet. I will be getting mine on Friday. I had zero issues with Leopard from Day one... I might be the exception to the rule, but can't wait of SL to be unleashed!

I've been thinking about this whole leak thing too. It occurred to me that it's kinda like the game we used to play with our parents as kids. We'd beg them to tell us what they got us for Christmas: "Is it this? Is it that? Give me a hint." We'd even look under their bed and in closets. It was fun trying to find out, and sometimes we did. But it was even more fun NOT to find out and be totally surprised. Apple is mom and dad. We can't help ourselves and the rumor sites become our grown-up begging. It's fun to seek, but even more fun to be surprised. I'm glad Apple is so secretive and glad when we fail to discover what's under the bed.
  • Reply 64 of 215
    Does anyone know if it's better to install Quicktime X with SL or keep the Quicktime Pro that I currently have with Leopard 10.5? I have lots of 3rd party plug-ins with my current Quicktime Pro, will QTX be as feature rich as an older QT Pro? What's the best advice? I heard that there's an option not to install the new QTX when installing SL, is that true? Can both QTX and older QT Pro be installed on the same machine? Thanks
  • Reply 65 of 215
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    one question..

i ordered SL trough Spain web-store as now i am in Spain. the question is does the installation will have English ?
  • Reply 66 of 215
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webhead View Post

Can both QTX and older QT Pro be installed on the same machine? Thanks

Yes it can.
  • Reply 67 of 215
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by .mac View Post

one question..

i ordered SL trough Spain web-store as now i am in Spain. the question is does the installation will have English ?

All languages are included.
  • Reply 68 of 215
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Thanks for that....did I read that SL will have an automatic compatibility check as part of the install?

I remember upgrading to Leopard from Tiger and my "Transparent Dock" app crashed it to a blue screen.

I was thinking of just taking all my 'secondary' apps like aquisition, handbrake, PDF Pen, PDF Shrink, Fetch, SnapNDrag, EasyBatch Photo, SMARTReporter, etc., and temporarily taking them out of the Applications folder and upgrading to SL and then put them back in the Application Folder.

Any Thoughts!

I've been keeping my secondary apps in other folder I call "AddedApps" instead of in "Applications". They seem to work fine that way. And, like you, I put them back in after I do an upgrade.
  • Reply 69 of 215
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Does anyone know if it's better to install Quicktime X with SL or keep the Quicktime Pro that I currently have with Leopard 10.5? I have lots of 3rd party plug-ins with my current Quicktime Pro, will QTX be as feature rich as an older QT Pro? What's the best advice? I heard that there's an option not to install the new QTX when installing SL, is that true? Can both QTX and older QT Pro be installed on the same machine? Thanks

More importantly (to me), will QuickTimeX fix the issue of QuickTime (and therefore FrontRow) not being able to play the 5.1 surround audio from iTunes Store purchases? FrontRow plays 5.1 off DVDs and video_TS files just fine, and the iTunes application will play the 5.1 audio, but with iTunes store purchases in FrontRow you are stuck with with ProLogic matrix surround instead of the real thing.
  • Reply 70 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Does anyone know if Snow Leopard is compatible with BBEdit 9? What about Navicat?

Thanks!!

Unless you contact the developer, I don't think that anybody knows yet.

Can't imagine why not or that it really needs to be.

I use BBEdit and will check later this week.

If you find out one way or another, post it here:http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/
  • Reply 71 of 215
    Quote:

I would install both, FWIW. I did not notice an option to NOT install QTX, just an option to include QT7. BTW, QuickTime Player 7 gets installed in /Applications/Utilities/ if you opt for it.
  • Reply 72 of 215
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Great news! Now I only hope this will install to a blank hard drive. I'm treating my MacBook on a bigger harddrive to accompany the Snow Leopard update... Having to Install Leopard just to be able to install SL would be quite cumbersome.

Now for the great dillemma... 320GB 7200RPM vs 500GB 5400RPM...

That's not a dilemma. Go with the 7200RPM if you care about speed. I have the WD 2.5" version in my MBP 17 and it is whisper quiet and FAST.
  • Reply 73 of 215
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I've been thinking about this whole leak thing too. It occurred to me that it's kinda like the game we used to play with our parents as kids. We'd beg them to tell us what they got us for Christmas: "Is it this? Is it that? Give me a hint." We'd even look under their bed and in closets. It was fun trying to find out, and sometimes we did. But it was even more fun NOT to find out and be totally surprised. Apple is mom and dad. We can't help ourselves and the rumor sites become our grown-up begging. It's fun to seek, but even more fun to be surprised. I'm glad Apple is so secretive and glad when we fail to discover what's under the bed.

Great analogy. Now if you could just tell us why spouses cheat, I think we could solve the secrets of the universe.
  • Reply 74 of 215
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    X-Mas some months earlier!
  • Reply 75 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yes, but the Rosetta install (which allows Intel Macs to run PPC code) is now optional. I don't know how this is implemented in the Snow Leopard upgrade procedure, but if it's not obvious, a lot of users will be tripped up. This could become the number one complaint.

You can choose to install Rosetta during the customize option install.

If you don't, and you try and run Quicken, you get a message asking if you would like to install Rosetta to run Quicken. It installs and runs without a reboot even.

So - no worries.

I must say - Quicken is the ONLY application that I need this for, and it really irks me that they are such a laggard of a company. Unfortunately they are the only ones that do what I need them to in terms of banking, or I would switch in a second.
  • Reply 76 of 215
    I just talked with one of the Apple Store online reps and he told me that regardless of what your ship date is showing for Up To Date, you will get your copy of SL on August 28th. This is only for the US. But it makes me happy!
  • Reply 77 of 215
    After months of upgrading beta over beta, I am glad that I will have the option to format and install my HD for Snow Leopard. Machine is pretty messy these days.
  • Reply 78 of 215
    I am thinking about buying the Mac Box Set to update my macbook pro from Tiger as my birthday present to myself. It there any benefit to doing a clean install and then reinstalling all my apps/files or does the mac install work well enough that I will not be hurting anything installing the update straight from Tiger.
  • Reply 79 of 215
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    I love the picture of that cat on a white background. Classy.

I hope that Apple includes it as a desktop picture, because I can't stand the psychedelic purple of Leopard desktop. And I'm sure that I am not the only one to dislike the dark, agressive, psychedelic purple of Leopard desktop.

• Reply 80 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oh-es-Ten View Post

Hot diggity... I was going to wait it out until 10.6.1, but strange urge to upgrade on Day 1.... Hmmm....

I d/l the golden master, installed it on a partition that has several OS versions on it, first, it doesn't work with some programs, and even some games as well as Logic 9 plug ins, I would wait. There is a reason this is getting pushed out so fast, MSFT must be up to something.

Also, the OPENGL according to some benchmarks is 1/3 slower than Leopard 10.5, so you lose a lot of frame rates.

Just saying.

Peace.