Apple to release Mac OS X Snow Leopard on August 28

Comments

• Reply 121 of 215
    graemegraeme Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihadmeavision View Post

So If I'm on 10.2 and want to upgrade (not that I am), by your logic I should pay $390 or so dollars because I skipped a few OSes? How does that make sense? I hope they'll release it like they said at $129 period. And no those are not great apps and $10 is way to much for that junk.

Intel macs have only ever shipped with 10.4.x or 10.5.x- so no one is going to be upgrading from 10.2- not that i hardly ever use ilife- but $10 is a fantastic price for it plus iwork.
  • Reply 122 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graeme View Post

(opinion only)

I think it has to be the full version- you need to be able to boot for m the disk and install on brand new system hard disks.

I can't believe if you put a new HD in your mac that you would have to install a previous OS before you installed OS 10.6.

Since all intel macs have either shipped with 10.4 or 10.5- the 10.6 instal disk just needs to know your mac model (and so what OS it shipped with) and/or if you have updated from 10.4 to 10.5 previously- the motherboard should know this through what firmware it's running?! etc.

Also 'startup disk' preferences know your current OS.

Ok im guessing here- but I can't believe apple would require an antiquated step of legacy installs when installing new system HD's

Maybe, like ... umm, that other OS, one may have to provide their original Leopard disc as part of the installation? I am sure somebody at MacWorld will try this out... the installed could "phone home" during the install, meaning that it can't be installed w/o internet... Not everybody bought their machine with Leopard on it, but has it now. Like 1 of mine... checking the model/serial number would show that my gen 1 MacBook is Tiger and that I need the box set to upgrade it?

Could some of this be in attempt to make it more difficult for hackintoches to install OSX? Since they are in the middle of a lawsuit with Psystar which in effect markets hackintoshes?
  • Reply 123 of 215
    Since the OpenCL requirements mentioned the NVIDIA 8600GT (woohoo!), does this meant you need minimum 128MB VRAM as the official requirements page no mention of how much? I happen to have the Late 2007 low-end model.
  • Reply 124 of 215
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'm not liking what I'm hearing about the the problems with the MacBook's stock hard drives, I guess the hard drive makers are seeing their demise with Apple introducing SSD options now, so they are dropping quality to make as much money before closing shop. This isn't a good thing for our data and system reliability.

I bought a MBP last month, and changed the drive. i made sure to buy a drive which does NOT have any fall-sensors, since it seems that these were conflicting with the MBP's own set of sensors.

I have not had any problems with the drive, and am a very happy user of the MBP right now

take care

-d
  • Reply 125 of 215
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m01ety View Post

Again, more RPM doesn't automatically mean more speed. An 5400 RPM drive can easily be as fast or faster than a 7200RPM if the platter density is higher and if it has fewer platters.

However, without the manufacturer or model numbers mentioned, we can't look up the specs for the OP.

Good point. Mine is the WD Scorpio Black which I purchased from OWC this winter. Interestingly, the drive is no longer available - they are only showing the 5400RPM versions now.
  • Reply 126 of 215
    The lucky dude with the now-famous Mac Mini should tell us what build it is.
  • Reply 127 of 215
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

So I have to buy the crappy IMHO iLife package to get the full version of SL? It sounds like what they did with Final Cut Pro, including a bunch of apps that no one wants and charge you for them adding "Studio" to the name. They should be ashamed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

I never got around to updating my newer iMac (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo) to 10.5.... does anyone know if I will be able to use the normal upgrade DVD to go from 10.4 to 10.6? Or will I have to work for a "full version" to come out.

Thanks for your help.

Z

You can get Leopard from Amazon for $92.49:

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Version.../dp/B000FK88JK

And then install the Snow Leopard upgrade for $29.00 making the total upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard $121.49.
  • Reply 128 of 215
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

So If I'm on 10.2 and want to upgrade (not that I am), by your logic I should pay $390 or so dollars because I skipped a few OSes? How does that make sense? I hope they'll release it like they said at $129 period. And no those are not great apps and $10 is way to much for that junk.

Based on your quoted post above, you would not understand a logical answer.

So I won't give you one.
  • Reply 129 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

I realize its an outdated architecture, but can anyone explain to me why Apple dropped PPC support? Is it hurting them in anyway to keep PPC or is it more of Apple telling me to update?

Noting but my guess here, but I would imagine... they are tired of supporting an old system architecture and simply want PPC people to upgrade to a newer Intel computer. This is not unusual, MSFT doesn't support Win-95 or Win-98 (I don't think), even car & TV manufacturers after some years stop making parts for really old cars/TVs, etc. Eventually companies have to move on and it's not worth the investment and time to support something with such a small user-base.

Sorry, no soup for you (until you get a new computer).
  • Reply 130 of 215
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

I realize its an outdated architecture, but can anyone explain to me why Apple dropped PPC support? Is it hurting them in anyway to keep PPC or is it more of Apple telling me to update?

Probably a little bit of both. There would be a bit of additional development cost to support PPC. And since the optimizations seem to be very dependent on the hardware, even if they created a PPC version of Snow Leopard, you'd likely not much of a speed boost out of it since few of the optimizations would apply to PPC architecture, so what would be the point? It would be a relatively minor upgrade.
  • Reply 131 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Clone your previous Leopard OS X to a external powered firewire hard drive and hold option boot from it to verify it's fine BEFORE updating to Snow Leopard. Carbon Copy Cloner is my preferred cloning software of choice as it's the original and in my opinion still the best. (see my cloning tips in Genius sticky thread).

Off topic from snow leopard but,

I like carbon copy cloner, but recently had a bad experience with its scheduled cloning operation.

The hard drive it was cloning to was not plugged in, so it decided to copy the entire contents of the Macintosh HD into a folder inside of /Volumes, which in effect filled up the entire drive! It took a while to figure out where all the space went since i was only adding up the space used by visible folders and it wasn't adding up properly.

Just something to be aware of...
  • Reply 132 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post

How about a 500GB 7200RPM drive? I have the Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS in my MBP and it works great - well worth the $120!

i second that!
  • Reply 133 of 215
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Snow Leopard is half the size of the previous version and frees up to 7GB of drive space once installed.

What's with this wimpy anorexic OS! I want more for my money! I want a Ballmer sized OS! I guess I'll have to switch to Windows!
  • Reply 134 of 215
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post

How about a 500GB 7200RPM drive? I have the Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS in my MBP and it works great - well worth the $120!

Won't that fry my MacBook?

My main concerns are making my April '08 MacBook as snappy as my August '07 iMac (which has a 320GB 7200RPM HDD, which can be the only hardware component that causes this difference in "snappyness") while maintaining the battery life and noise and vibration levels of the stock hard drive, if possible.

It currently has the stock 160GB 5400RPM HDD.

Another reason I want a bigger drive is that, due to personal reasons, the MacBook will have to do for both business AND pleasure the coming year, whereas now it is just used for business. This means my 35GB and growing music collection and my 100GB of movies would have to be on the machine.

I could start juggling with external drives but I will be moving to a tiny dorm room the coming year so the less desktop clutter, the better.

OT: good to know someone installed the latest build out there on a blank drive, this means it'll probably work
  • Reply 135 of 215
    I'm very disappointed by reports of numerous bugs in the GM (according to posts on MR). This feels rushed. You would think with the whole focus on optimizing Leopard, they'd at least try to minimize bugs. As is I read many, many reports on how SL is actually slower than Leopard.

I'm curious how SL compares to Win7 - many people reluctantly are admitting that Win7 blows SL out of the water. I'm sad - I switched to Apple, but I was hoping Apple would at least be able to keep up. We'll see. I won't make up my mind until both OSes are shipping, and we can get some user feedback.
  • Reply 136 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Based on your quoted post above, you would not understand a logical answer.

So I won't give you one.

Ok, my example was retarded, but my point is that you can't charge extra if people choose not to upgrade to the latest OS every time! What's wrong with charging the same amount as 10.5? I even paid when they put out crap like 10 and 10.1. Only with 10.2 did OS X come out of beta with 10.4 being the final build if I have to be honest.
  • Reply 137 of 215
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine View Post

I'm curious how SL compares to Win7 - many people reluctantly are admitting that Win7 blows SL out of the water. I'm sad - I switched to Apple, but I was hoping Apple would at least be able to keep up. We'll see. I won't make up my mind until both OSes are shipping, and we can get some user feedback.

Win7 blowing SL out of the water? I bet people claiming that are those that get all their info out of screenshots posted on blogs.

Sure, the difference between Win7 and Vista looks to be pretty big, but underneath, it's still the same outdated and awful architectural mess. Just a question of old dogs, new tricks.

SL is just the inverse. From an architectural point of view, Leopard was already miles ahead of Windows Vista, with Snow Leopard, the gap just got even bigger.

SL might not deliver in terms of eyecandy, but the foundation that has been laid here will prove to be very significant the coming years.

The fact that SL offers no big UI changes at all, indicates that Apple's HCI and GUI-design people are cooking up something BIG. It's not like all those engineers have been doing nothing for the past 2 years. Expect something mind blowing by 10.7

Disclaimer: as a graduated Software Engineer, SL is mind blowing to me as is
  • Reply 138 of 215
    Hi guys, just a question that popped up

I have a couple of macs in the house.

With the single user license, what happens after i install it on one mac and then take the disc to a second mac and try to install again? How does it literally detect that it's already been used on the first mac.

Thanks in advance
  • Reply 139 of 215
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fiorentino97 View Post

Is there any chance of the actual install disks being included before September 8?

Depends upon inventory of the Mac your going to purchase.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fiorentino97 View Post

I was hoping to get the best of both worlds by getting Snow Leopard with the iPod back to school promotion. Say I order a system from the Apple online store sometime next week. Will it come with 10.6 installed or 10.5 installed with a 10.6 upgrade disk?

Apple doesn't share which Mac's will begin having the Snow Leopard install disks included in the box instead of the previous Leopard install disks.

A cost savings suggestion: If your going to order online, go with MacMall or Otherworld Computing or another online retailer that DOESN'T have a physical presence in the State your living in or shipping the Mac too. This way you can avoid the state taxes, which for a computer is quite a bundle.

A Mac comes from China or Taiwan in the same box as it does from Apple, it's just Apple has to charge state taxes because they have a physical store in nearly (as far as I know) every state. For a 7% state sales tax on a $1000 computer that's $70.

Also the resellers also throw in other deals, like free shipping, a free printer or Virtual Machine software so you can run other operating systems if you wish. Check out the deals and do your math, checking with educational discounts and the free iPod from Apple which deal is the best savings.

You might find out the online resellers offer a better savings than a free iPod deal, with the savings you can buy the iPod you want, instead of the one Apple wants to give you.

Pick your computer carefully with Apple first, then shop around online for the best deal and ask about if state sales tax is included before you commit.
  • Reply 140 of 215
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

... I even paid when they put out crap like 10 and 10.1. Only with 10.2 did OS X come out of beta with 10.4 being the final build if I have to be honest.

Hmm....Why did you pay for 10.1 if you bought 10.0, cause that was like a free upgrade for 10.0 users?

Are you just trolling, because iLife is definitely worth more than $10? Even if you're a pro and use Logic, FCP and Aperture, you can appreciate the value of the iLIfe apps which are very useful for casual users and even some pros.