Apple to release Mac OS X Snow Leopard on August 28

Comments

• Reply 81 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I wasn't going to upgrade because I plan to replace my computer early next year but as soon as the word came down that Apple was releasing the new OS on Friday, I got this overwhelming urge to upgrade my current Mac, even if it will only be for a few months.

The price is right and if I can spend around that much money for a movie that I might watch once or twice, I guess a few months with a new OS is worth that outlay.

Yeah, for $6-$10/month it's hard to beat....I'd do it! Have fun!
  • Reply 82 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Great news! Now I only hope this will install to a blank hard drive. I'm treating my MacBook on a bigger harddrive to accompany the Snow Leopard update... Having to Install Leopard just to be able to install SL would be quite cumbersome.

Now for the great dillemma... 320GB 7200RPM vs 500GB 5400RPM...

The system drive must have Leopard installed first. Then you can install Snow.

Since SL is 7 GB smaller than Leopard, you don't need a larger hard drive for the install.
  • Reply 83 of 215
    Anyone know why the June 8th cut-off date for the $9.95 new Mac purchase ugrade deal?

(I happened to purchase a new Mac on June 1 )
  • Reply 84 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

The system drive must have Leopard installed first. Then you can install Snow.

Since SL is 7 GB smaller than Leopard, you don't need a larger hard drive for the install.

Why do you need leopard on system drive first, I installed gold master on a blank drive.

Also, ship date still says September....booo.
  • Reply 85 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I've been keeping my secondary apps in other folder I call "AddedApps" instead of in "Applications". They seem to work fine that way. And, like you, I put them back in after I do an upgrade.

Brilliant! Great idea, Thx! I will definitely do that....'AddedApps!'
  • Reply 86 of 215
    Sooo... the Mac community upgrades to Snow Leopard on August 28th... the rest of the world upgrades to Windows 7 on October 22nd. Just trying to add some perspective.

Sorry, I'm being facetious.
  • Reply 87 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Great analogy. Now if you could just tell us why spouses cheat, I think we could solve the secrets of the universe.

They cheat for a variety of reasons. Sometimes even if you just, 'look at them the wrong way!' So be careful!

The good news is, if she cheats I would just make her take a shower because you can't wear 'it' out! That's what I do anyway. Good luck!
  • Reply 88 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post

Anyone know why the June 8th cut-off date for the $9.95 new Mac purchase ugrade deal?

It was June 8th because that was the day of the WWDC 2009 Keynote and that was when it was announced that Snow Leopard would be shipping Sept 2009 (now changed to August 2009)
  • Reply 89 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bslaght View Post

Why do you need leopard on system drive first, I installed gold master on a blank drive.

Also, ship date still says September....booo.

Ships: Delivers on August 28th

Snow Leopard is an upgrade for Leopard users.

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard.

If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, just purchase Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard and follow the simple installation instructions.

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.

If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set, which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife ?09, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork ?09, Apple?s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html
  • Reply 90 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomaspin View Post

Will it run PPC apps?

Many of us still use Intuit's Quicken (no Universal version available yet) and Photoshop CS2 (have you checked the price of CS4?)

I used the beta for Snow Leopard and when I opened a PPC game called Zuma Deluxe

it told me I needed Rosetta for it...and it downloaded it and installed it and then Zuma worked fine

had a few slight graphics blips but I went and changed the graphics settings in prefs for the program and it worked fine...and that was on a Core Duo White Macbook

so it could work using Rosetta...good luck
  • Reply 91 of 215
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'm not liking what I'm hearing about the the problems with the MacBook's stock hard drives, I guess the hard drive makers are seeing their demise with Apple introducing SSD options now, so they are dropping quality to make as much money before closing shop. This isn't a good thing for our data and system reliability.

There have been problems with ONE drive configuration - 500GB drive (from Seagate I think). The problem was not the quality of the dirve, but that the dirve has its own safety features that were conflicting with the MacBook's safety features (drive shuts off if dropped). I believe it's been corrected now with a firmware update. The drive is NOT a low-quality drive.
  • Reply 92 of 215
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Ok, so... let's start hearing the 10.7 rumors!
  • Reply 93 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Thanks for that....did I read that SL will have an automatic compatibility check as part of the install?

The installation process is up to 50 percent faster and more reliable than ever. It checks all your applications and sets aside programs known to be incompatible.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/refineme...finements.html
  • Reply 94 of 215
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Cool, will make a b-line to the Apple store this Friday.
  • Reply 95 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

The installation process is up to 50 percent faster and more reliable than ever. It checks all your applications and sets aside programs known to be incompatible.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/refineme...finements.html

Thanks Park!
  • Reply 96 of 215
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

That's not a dilemma. Go with the 7200RPM if you care about speed. I have the WD 2.5" version in my MBP 17 and it is whisper quiet and FAST.

Again, more RPM doesn't automatically mean more speed. An 5400 RPM drive can easily be as fast or faster than a 7200RPM if the platter density is higher and if it has fewer platters.

However, without the manufacturer or model numbers mentioned, we can't look up the specs for the OP.
  • Reply 97 of 215
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I d/l the golden master, installed it on a partition that has several OS versions on it, first, it doesn't work with some programs, and even some games as well as Logic 9 plug ins, I would wait. There is a reason this is getting pushed out so fast, MSFT must be up to something.

Also, the OPENGL according to some benchmarks is 1/3 slower than Leopard 10.5, so you lose a lot of frame rates.

Just saying.

Peace.

What benchmarks? What does your GPU say about OpenGL status?
  • Reply 98 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post

You can try to get the up-to-date disc anyway. Just enter your purchase date as being after June 8th.
  • Reply 99 of 215
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Totally fake.
  • Reply 100 of 215
    Quote:

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.

If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set, which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife ?09, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork ?09, Apple?s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

So I have to buy the crappy IMHO iLife package to get the full version of SL? It sounds like what they did with Final Cut Pro, including a bunch of apps that no one wants and charge you for them adding "Studio" to the name. They should be ashamed.