The Car Thread

Comments

• Reply 161 of 200
    I just picked up this baby last week. I wanted a 2002 but the bank wouldn't approve that, so I got this which was $8,000 cheaper than a 2002 would have been.

And this is what I have been driving daily for about a year.

I still have both. The Corvette just isn't practical to commute in.

The lightning has a Whipple supercharger and Borla exhaust. It screams! Good for passing those dickheads who do 70 but can bearely handle 50 we have alot of those out here

[edit: UBB]

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: iBook ]</p>
  • Reply 162 of 200
    [quote]Originally posted by iBook:

<strong>I just picked up this baby last week. I wanted a 2002 but the bank wouldn't approve that, so I got this which was $8,000 cheaper than a 2002 would have been.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

how much u get that vette for?? we're lookin into a Z06, but will prolly get the new M3...

either way, the C5 model vette is the only american car that i consider "good enough" for me and my racing. any other american POSs rank down there w/ hyundai...

im just sick of em all. but the vette restored faith--its just a beautiful machine.
  • Reply 163 of 200
    just FYI, alliance, I've test driven several cars, an E46 M3 being one of them. The E46 is really heavy and it feels a bit sluggish compared to my Rx-7, the Corvette Z06 (Sorry, I've only ridden in this one) really kicks ass. It's one of the few cars I'll admit to being higher-performance than my 7 in just about every category. Of course, all of the cars above seemed way more responsive than the S2000, obviously because of torque. If you want a really fast Honda you need to go for the NSX. (Sorry, haven't driven that one! ) I suppose you could turbo the S2000, though, since there is plenty of room up front.

The thing about the M3 is that: (A) it's still a pretty damn-fast car and (B) you can actually use it for more common day-to-day stuff.
  • Reply 164 of 200
    Norair: it's white

I LOVE estorilblau.
  • Reply 165 of 200
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>just FYI, alliance, I've test driven several cars, an E46 M3 being one of them. The E46 is really heavy and it feels a bit sluggish compared to my Rx-7, the Corvette Z06 (Sorry, I've only ridden in this one) really kicks ass. It's one of the few cars I'll admit to being higher-performance than my 7 in just about every category. Of course, all of the cars above seemed way more responsive than the S2000, obviously because of torque. If you want a really fast Honda you need to go for the NSX. (Sorry, haven't driven that one! ) I suppose you could turbo the S2000, though, since there is plenty of room up front.

The thing about the M3 is that: (A) it's still a pretty damn-fast car and (B) you can actually use it for more common day-to-day stuff.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah, uv picked up many good points. ill address the torque issue first. i race semi-pro, so i see the S2k in all its limits. in smaller, manueverable races, its incredibly responsive, but there are times when a lil more torque would help. also, we've considered putting in a turbo to get to about 330 hp, and of course an increase in the torque. also, w/ a good launch, the lack of torque is nullified. in the faster, high speed tracks, torque is not an issue, as we have rolling starts and a warmup lap...so by then, im up to 6k rpm, so its all good.

next, the NSX. beautiful car. we've been looking into a twin turbo of this current generation models. but if we do get it, we're gonna wait til the next gen 400+ hp N/A model NSX comes out in 04 or 05. that sucker can fly w/ no mods, but w/ the twin-turbo, all i can say is :cool:

next point: we need this car to race, but i think we might try to be more practical in the next round. which is the only reason we're including the M3, as its the only 4 seater worth looking into.

good points all-around m8. its tough deciding which super-car to go w/

:cool:

(what happened to the chill faces?!?!?!?)

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: _ alliance _ ]</p>
  • Reply 166 of 200
    oh btw, i fergot to throw in this lil fact. the last gen M3 was the only car in my category that is a good competitor. the others just cant keep up. but the M3 is the only competition we seem to find at events...

thats one of the reasons we're looking into it, as the new M3 is even faster and would actually surpass the present performance quality.
  • Reply 167 of 200
    ibookibook Posts: 50member
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>

how much u get that vette for?? we're lookin into a Z06, but will prolly get the new M3...

either way, the C5 model vette is the only american car that i consider "good enough" for me and my racing. any other american POSs rank down there w/ hyundai...

im just sick of em all. but the vette restored faith--its just a beautiful machine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It was $43,000 but I picked it up at $41,200 Plus the dealer is throwing in a 5 year/50,000 warranty instead of the 3 year/36,000 and a decent alarm system upgrade.

My next car is probably going to be a C5 once I get this one paid down a little.
  • Reply 168 of 200

<strong>

It was $43,000 but I picked it up at $41,200 Plus the dealer is throwing in a 5 year/50,000 warranty instead of the 3 year/36,000 and a decent alarm system upgrade.

My next car is probably going to be a C5 once I get this one paid down a little.</strong><hr></blockquote>

uhh, the corvette that u have is the C5 model...
  • Reply 169 of 200
    I suppose I should add that if the thought crossed your mind to get an NSX, then you should think about a Lingenfelter-modified C5.

Fast. 9psi twins on a 5.7 Liter engine.
  • Reply 170 of 200

<strong>I suppose I should add that if the thought crossed your mind to get an NSX, then you should think about a Lingenfelter-modified C5.

Fast. 9psi twins on a 5.7 Liter engine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

what are the specs differentiating that from the Z06??

cause the Z06 is one hell of a deal for what u get...
  • Reply 171 of 200
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>

uhh, the corvette that u have is the C5 model... </strong><hr></blockquote>

I mean the 2002. I may even consider a Z06 though.
  • Reply 172 of 200

<strong>

I mean the 2002. I may even consider a Z06 though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

oh ok, i was a lil confused there fer a sec...
  • Reply 173 of 200
    The Lingenfelter costs a LOT and generally performs less civilized than the Z06, with better handling and all.

And a 9psi twin turbo. 600hp. yikes. According to a recent Car & driver it's on par with the PFS Rx-7, which has a 2.0L turbo rotary. (stock is 1.3 liter)
  • Reply 174 of 200

<strong>The Lingenfelter costs a LOT and generally performs less civilized than the Z06, with better handling and all.

And a 9psi twin turbo. 600hp. yikes. According to a recent Car & driver it's on par with the PFS Rx-7, which has a 2.0L turbo rotary. (stock is 1.3 liter)</strong><hr></blockquote>

ooh, how much??
  • Reply 175 of 200
    I don't know the exact figure, but it is in the same range as the NSX. However, the amount of performance you get is so far beyond that which the NSX can produce that the price is the only thing these cars share.
  • Reply 176 of 200

<strong>I don't know the exact figure, but it is in the same range as the NSX. However, the amount of performance you get is so far beyond that which the NSX can produce that the price is the only thing these cars share.</strong><hr></blockquote>

well we wouldnt get a new NSX--they are very overpriced. we're gonna wait til the new model comes out w/ 400+ hp which will cost around 120-130k...

which means the last models will drop alot, and then add a twin-turbo, and u got a sweet ride to work w/ :cool:
  • Reply 177 of 200
    I think a Lingenfelter runs about 100k.

Of course an Ultima GTR is about 85k. The KD Rotary Ultima 20B turbo may well also exist soon. Sheee-it. sub 1600lbs and 600hp for the latter, and street legal.
  • Reply 178 of 200
    My dad's next car.To replce one of the Civics

MG ZT XPower 385

Indicative performance:

0-60mph &lt;5.0 seconds0-100mph &lt;11.0 secondsTop Speed: 175mph

Engine:

4.6 litre V8 aluminium alloy block and cylinder heads. Max Power 385Ps @ 7000 rpm. Max Torque 522 Nm/385 lb.ft. @ 3500 rpm. Specific Output: 84Ps per litre. Power to weight: 241Ps per tonne. Installation: Front, longitudinal, rear wheel drive. Induction:

SuperchargedGearbox

Type:

Six speed manual

Low sports suspension

Quad tailpipe sports exhaust system

Front: MacPherson struts, coil springs and anti-roll bar

Rear: Independent, multi-link, trailing arms, coil springs, anti-roll bar.

All for a mere £40,000.

For more info go <a href="http://www.mgcars.co.uk"; target="_blank">Here</a>And<a href="http://www.mg-xtra.co.uk/mgx385.html"; target="_blank">Here</a>
  • Reply 179 of 200
    Well, I'm looking at the Land Rover Freelander now. I test drove that thing the other day and fell in love with it. Can someone give me some good websites about Land Rover pros/cons?
  • Reply 180 of 200
    I've loved the freelander since I saw it in Europe a few years ago. Really cool little car.

Pros have traditionally been go-anywhereness, off-roading, etc.

Cons (which may be not this way anymore due to the former BMW now Ford influence) reliability, etc. I know that the transmission and electrical systems were replaced with bmw-designed ones in the Freelander... but otherwise I have no idea.