Sources: Apple to unveil new iPod lineup on September 9

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

I know - particularly since Steve Jobs would love to honor the memory of his bestest friend in the whole wide world - John Sculley by bringing his project names back to life. ...

Yeah, very unlikely it will be called a Newton.

Back in (that) day, the idea behind the Newton name was that it was a whole new category of devices (computers were Macs, portables were Newtons). In today's nomenclature, most of the desktop type "regular" computers including laptops, are "Macs" and all the mobile devices are "i-somethings." The only exception is the "iMac" which is of course a desktop.

Any new tablet will almost certainly be an "i-something." The more annoying names making the rounds being "iTablet," and "iPad," (and the less likely but much classier "iSlate".)

Since no one in the USA knows much about history however and since the popular website of the same name that Apple is not affiliated with already exists, "iSlate" will likely not be it either. The more modern "iBook" is still a heavy favourite given that Apple already owns it and all it's associations.
  • Reply 42 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Really, there is that much discussion about the difference of one day?

I am guessing that the driver for the 9th versus the 8th is that Apple's educational promo for buy a Mac, get an iPod Touch free ends on September 8th.

I certainly was hoping to buy the latest AND take advantage of the promo, but likely won't be able to because of the date finagling.

Mark
  • Reply 43 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Well if we're going for accuracy... "Well placed anonymous corporate insiders have reluctantly confirmed the Sun will rise in the East and set in the West."

How about:

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster published an analyst report yesterday stating that the sun rises in the West and sets in the East.

• Reply 44 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

"This just in. The sun rises in the East. Repeat: The sun rises in the East."

where does it rise if you live in the East?

Easter.
  • Reply 45 of 103
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Well the thing is this is the first time the songs have been remastered since they came out on CD in 87. And those CDs were derided for the poor quality sound. I don't think the Beatles work on the treadmill method

I'm not enough of a Beatles fan to have tracked that, and if all the digital recordings date back to the 80s then it appears they are due for a remastering. But my point is that other bands/labels seem to 'remaster' far too frequently, in which case one wonders whether the intermediate versions were simply hyped to generate sales. Crying wolf and all that...

But hey - if The Company Formerly Known As Apple Computer, and The Company Still Known As Apple Corps can pull off a joint announcement with genuinely new products all around, it will be a Win-Win situation for all except those who suffix their products with '-dows'.
  • Reply 46 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Weren't the last ones supposed to be "very good"? What was wrong with those? If they

were supposed to be leaps and bounds above the prior version how much better can these be?

No the last ones were panned as poorly done from the moment they came out.
  • Reply 47 of 103
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

If the new iPods don't come with built-in laser beams so I can vanquish my enemies, I'm not getting one.

OK, that's it! No more gaming for you for at least 6 years!
  • Reply 48 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

So this will make the version of iTunes that comes with Snow Leopard the shortest release lifetime of any Apple product..

Not really. iTunes in Snow Leopard is just 8.2.1, which isn't Snow Leopard specific. As an odd observation, my sound quality in iTunes seems to have significantly degraded with the Snow Leopard GM. I hope this is fixed by iTunes 9 (it probably will be, as it's probably a driver thing).
  • Reply 49 of 103
    kerrynkerryn Posts: 87member
    Apple to unveil new iPod lineup on September 9

So I'll file that under "duh!". Isn't this pretty much a given at this point?
  • Reply 50 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

How about:

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster published an analyst report yesterday stating that the sun rises in the West and sets in the East.

Not complete enough.

The complete one would be "Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster published an analyst report yesterday stating that the sun rises in the West and sets in the East, and revised his target for Apple to $265 per share."
  • Reply 51 of 103
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrENGLISH? View Post

More like this...

Sources confirm Sun to rise in the East and set in the West.

However, this cannot be independently verified, and has been denied by the parties involved.
  • Reply 52 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not complete enough.

The complete one would be "Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster published an analyst report yesterday stating that the sun rises in the West and sets in the East, and revised his target for Apple to $265 per share."

Analysts, love them or loathe them, you'd be mad not to loathe them.
  • Reply 53 of 103
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

As opposed to someone who just bought something YESTERDAY?

Apple has a 14-day return/exchange policy. "Yesterday" isn't a problem.
  • Reply 54 of 103
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

There is a rumor that there will be a dock connector accessory, which has both

a high powered laser and a shark fin mounting bracket.

And Bose will be bringing out a $300 shark fin that looks great but is actually kinda mediocre.
  • Reply 55 of 103
    Quote:

Well if we're going for accuracy... "Well placed anonymous corporate insiders have reluctantly confirmed the Sun will rise in the East and set in the West."

This is Apple Insider, so I think it would be "the horizon based Sun."
  • Reply 56 of 103
    Quote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and bet it was circa 5 years (+-) of the year your were born or technology is a relatively new hobby.

If you're truly interested since it does make for an interesting slice of PDA history...

Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_(platform)

Some go as far as saying that the Newton was the 1st handheld computer but that's not an accurate statement. Psion beat Apple to the punch by almost 15 years tho their device would hardly be categorized as a 'modern pda' as we know them. None the less they where the 1st. However Apple is credited for coining the acronym PDA but the meaning at that time stood for "Personal Data Assistant" well data was eventually replaced with digital perhaps to avoid any legal wrangling Apple might bring up.

Dave

I'm sure Dr. Millmoss is well aware of the Newton and its history, he's just wondering when we decided that the forthcoming tablet would go by that name-- as am I.
  • Reply 57 of 103
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Well the thing is this is the first time the songs have been remastered since they came out on CD in 87. And those CDs were derided for the poor quality sound. I don't think the Beatles work on the treadmill method

Well now, I'm from an earlier gen and still play my Abbey Road on a turntable. Oh, the shock!

But, I am starting to convert the analog to digital while cleaning up the clicks and hisses a little bit. I still want to keep some of them because it makes any of the songs sound so much more nostalgic. I take my time on each album and the fun is that I get to play something I really haven't heard in a long time and when I'm finished, it goes on my iPod. I figure I will be done doing this for all of my albums in the year 2020.
  • Reply 58 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

This is Apple Insider, so I think it would be "the horizon based Sun."

Nice....
  • Reply 59 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

Well now, I'm from an earlier gen and still play my Abbey Road on a turntable. Oh, the shock!

But, I am starting to convert the analog to digital while cleaning up the clicks and hisses a little bit. I still want to keep some of them because it makes any of the songs sound so much more nostalgic. I take my time on each album and the fun is that I get to play something I really haven't heard in a long time and when I'm finished, it goes on my iPod. I figure I will be done doing this for all of my albums in the year 2020.

Retired, eh?
  • Reply 60 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Apple can generate hype and sales any time of the year with a new product. Why would a January release surprise you? An ~$800 tablet makes a rather pricey Christmas gift anyway. It will be out when it is ready.

For anyone who hasn?t read it here is a fascinating article as to how and why the modern Apple works the way it does under Jobs.

? http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/3533.html

Quote:

"Screw the lead times. You don't have a great product yet! I know burn rates are important, but you'll only get one shot at this, and if you blow it, it's over.? .[said Jobs.]

"Let's talk about the bigger question," interrupted Jobs. "Why two machines?? [?] "Because I see a big problem here," said Jobs. "I was thinking about it all night. I couldn't sleep after Dean came over." There were notes scribbled on the palm of his hand. He explained his experience with the iMac, how there were four models now but he had launched with just one color to give his designers, salespeople, and the public an absolute focus. He had waited seven months to introduce the other models."

For anyone who honestly thinks that launching multiple products of a new computing class and launching because of a certain time of year is more important than getting the product right you have to read that article.