Windows Mobile 6.5 to take on Apple's iPhone starting Oct. 6

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    They will call it the new "Windows Mobile HD"!!!
  • Reply 22 of 97
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

OH MY WE ARE SO SCARED!!! MICROSOFT MIGHT DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT THIS TIME!!!!

Nah. More clutter, bad copying, missing the point and having their users snearing at Apple because there's no challange in using easy-to-use products and software!

Meanwhile we just float along, enjoying our devices and not being frustrated using them for phones, email, twitter, podcasts, watching movies...yawn!

-fanboy since before 84-

It's so funny how much emotion people invest into PHONES of all things!

In my experience at ppcgeeks and xda's forums, the truest of windows mobile geeks are generally geeks about everything, and appreciate the iphone for what it is. There are downsides to going with an iphone that some people find important that iphone users might not. There are advantages to having a windows mobile phone that some people find important that iphone users might not. It is literally that simple.

It's comments like yours that fuel the "sneering at Apple" and their users. For instance, everything you listed there, my phone can do as well, minus the frustration, and yet you so confidently speak of these things.

I won't lie and say that windows mobile is a perfect peach every step of the way, but I sure do enjoy the hell out of it.
  • Reply 23 of 97
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    I spoke too soon!! chronster joined in and doesn't seem to mind that his copied software doesn't frustrate him. He is trying to take the hell out of it-which has been my complaint all along-MS stuff is hellish! -but then some people still cook on a wood stove and have an outhouse!

"WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR THE ENEMY TO JUMP IN HERE AND CALL US FOOLS FOR OUR LOYALTY AND PRAISE OF APPLE!!!"

Oh, did I mention I spend 80% of my time in Windows7 trying to find the perfect edge to click on and make it possible to just simply resize a stupid window? Why couldn't they have copied that better? Doug Engelbart had that figured out in the early 1970s! Grrrr!
  • Reply 24 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

They will call it the new "Windows Mobile HD"!!!

You joke, but I'm seriously calling it: Windows Mobile 7.1 = WMHD

Seems like calling things HD has taken on a trend like calling things ultra, or x2000 or something.
  • Reply 25 of 97
    Quote:

WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR THE ENEMY TO JUMP IN HERE AND CALL US FOOLS FOR OUR LOYALTY AND PRAISE OF APPLE!!!

Oh, did I mention I spend 80% of my time in Windows7 trying to find the perfect edge to click on and make it possible to just simply resize a stupid window? Why couldn't they have copied that better? Doug Engelbart had that figured out in the early 1970s! Grrrr!

If you spend 80% of your time doing something that simple, maybe it's time for a new mouse :P

1600dpi laser mouse
  • Reply 26 of 97
    Quote:

I spoke too soon!! chronster joined in and doesn't seem to mind that his copied software doen't frustrate him-but then some people still ccok on a wood stove and have an outhouse!

I guess I'm the one who spoke to soon. How funny is it that this is the first time I met you, and you know me so well already that you're confident in saying I don't mind being frustrated?

My phone's fine man :/
  • Reply 27 of 97
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Is this some kind of joke?

• Reply 28 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

WAAAAAAZAAAAAaaaaaaaaa
  • Reply 29 of 97
    "its latest smartphone platform to compete with Apple's iPhone"

like there's going to be any competition - lol
  • Reply 30 of 97
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Is it really necessary to make entire sentences all-caps?
  • Reply 31 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

If you spend 80% of your time doing something that simple, maybe it's time for a new mouse :P

1600dpi laser mouse

Why do I need a new mouse? I have been using a Apple mouse since 1984 and always resized my windows the first time! The problem with these DPI mice, is that they are required to use for precision in Windows. A Mac has been pixel precise, without special DPI mice for 25 years. I have used a Apple mouse, moving pixels since MacPaint and Photoshop 1.0, with no problems.

What a waste of resources you guys have to buy into. Let alone the fact that Doug E. invented the mouse and when you buy one from Microsoft, or the many off brand suppliers, he never gets a penny. That's theft from the beginning of Microsoft's avoidance of where their ability to generate profits really came from!

Don't get me started!
  • Reply 32 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Who is this Microsoft I keep hearing about?

that says it all!
  • Reply 33 of 97
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    This is not PC in the 90s or 80s.

The reason to buy PCs wer that you could build cheap PC or tailormade PCs for specific needs. An other reason was that there was more applications for WinDOS than MacOS.

Apple will not cater for every taste in smartphones, for some Blackberry and other are better that iPhone.

Apple not MS has the upper hand in applications now.

Then we have the open source competition as well that MS (and Apple) has to fight with.

Sure MS can market WinCE for many years to come as they have Zune. But not only Apple but Nokia, SE, and many other will fight them.
  • Reply 34 of 97
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

... I won't lie and say that windows mobile is a perfect peach every step of the way, but I sure do enjoy the hell out of it.

Fanboy-isms aside, Windows Mobile does have a very hard row to hoe right now though.

It's already pretty much irrelevant in the consumer market already, which is what seems to be currently driving smartphone adoption. Being the "entrenched" enemy for the newer upstart smartphone OS's seems to give it no real advantages and a whole lot of downside from device support to branding and price.

Like many mobile device enthusiasts, I've used most of Microsoft's mobile OS's and most iterations of Palm's as well and it sure seems to me like this is destined to be far too little and far too late for MS to even regain relevance let alone sales.

Your right about the "geeks toy" aspect of it, but unless you are required to use a WinMobile device by your company or institution, I don't see any real reason the "average consumer" would buy one and that's death in today's market. The biggest lift they can (and possibly will get), is when they tie the whole Zune/XBox stuff into it, probably when they launch 7.0 at the end of next year, but will that be enough at that late date to do much for them?

I just don't see WinMobile going anywhere at all. It's basically circling the toilet already.
  • Reply 35 of 97
    Quote:

Why do I need a new mouse? I have been using a Apple mouse since 1984 and always resized my windows the first time! The problem with these DPI mice, is that they are required to use for precision in Windows. A Mac has been pixel precise, without special DPI mice for 25 years. I have used a Apple mouse, moving pixels since MacPaint and Photoshop 1.0, with no problems.

What a waste of resources you guys have to buy into. Let alone the fact that Doug E. invented the mouse and when you buy one from Microsoft, or the many off brand suppliers, he never gets a penny. That's theft from the beginning of Microsoft's avoidance of where their ability to generate profits really came from!

Don't get me started!

You're using an Apple mouse from 1984? Can you take a pic of that? That's pretty cool.

As far as resizing windows, I have a crappy bottom of the barrel dell trackball mouse here at work and I've never had issues resizing anything LOL. I know I sound like a broken record, where you complain about something, and I respond saying I've never had issues like that, but I'm serious. It's really perplexing to listen to someone complain about these things.

It's like if I complained about having to tie my shoes, use a microwave, or drive a car. Trivial things that seem to be the most basic tasks to other people could very well be nightmares for me.

But seriously, post that picture of the 1984 mouse. I'm not being facetious or anything, just curious.
  • Reply 36 of 97
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Ugh, it's a layer of glitz on top of the broken Windows Mobile UI paradigm.

And the glitz looks naff. Look at the marketplace app screenshot - scrollbar ahoy! Taskbar! Start menu! What? People don't want that, it's not integrated into the UI seamlessly like the current generation of mobile interfaces - iPhoneOS, Android, WebOS, Maemo...

Many WinMob people are moving to Android anyway. 6.5 is a patch on crud, and it won't rescue market share for Microsoft. Of course they're going to make their best attempt at it, and they will remain cheerful about it all as they have to, but they know, inside, they've lost it. Not to iPhoneOS, but the competitors that iPhoneOS created, the fast movers who suddenly saw the light. Android. WebOS. Maemo. All Linux underneath. iPhoneOS will succeed as well (in the long term, we know it's been a knockout in the short term already), but as a single-carrier, single-manufacturer prospect it will be limited in market opportunity (not that it will be insignificant).
  • Reply 37 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I just don't see WinMobile going anywhere at all. It's basically circling the toilet already.

You're right. We have no clue what WM7 will bring that's so great (seeing as how Ms has a hard time thinking outside of the box) and 6.5 took long enough that I might have a flying car before we see 7. It's NOT an OS for the main stream, no matter how badly HTC tries to revamp the UI. MS needs to learn this lesson.

I don't know what MS could think when they see Samsung use Symbian instead of WM on their new Omnia HD (the omnia i900 is WM.) Do they think they're doing well!?

Same with HTC migrating towards android a bit more.
  • Reply 38 of 97
    Quote:

You're using an Apple mouse from 1984? Can you take a pic of that? That's pretty cool.

As far as resizing windows, I have a crappy bottom of the barrel dell trackball mouse here at work and I've never had issues resizing anything LOL. I know I sound like a broken record, where you complain about something, and I respond saying I've never had issues like that, but I'm serious. It's really perplexing to listen to someone complain about these things.

It's like if I complained about having to tie my shoes, use a microwave, or drive a car. Trivial things that seem to be the most basic tasks to other people could very well be nightmares for me.

But seriously, post that picture of the 1984 mouse. I'm not being facetious or anything, just curious.

if you want to see a 1984 mouse, just google it-di you not know about the 128K Mac?

ITS NOT ABOUT YOU, its about Douglas Engelbart and how Microsoft has stolen all his work and has never implimented it properly anyway. At least Apple paid something for. And Andy Hertzfield and others modified it to make it more artistic and better for plain folk to create cool stuff.
  • Reply 39 of 97
    I'd be more impressed with both Apple and Microsoft if they'd get together and offer syncing for Windows Mobile phones with OS X. I can't afford a service contract for an iPhone, so I use Windows Mobile phone I got cheaply. It has the features I need, although poorly organized, but OS X won't sync to it like it did my earlier RAZR.

And to add insult to injury, OS X knows it's connecting to a Windows Mobile smartphone, it just turns up its nose and refuses to have a conversation.

Apple and Microsoft need to get over their schoolyard macho and make their products work together. "It just works" should apply to Windows Mobile phones.
  • Reply 40 of 97
    Quote:

if you want to see a 1984 mouse, just google it-did you not know about the 128K Mac?

ITS NOT ABOUT YOU, its about Douglas Engelbart and how Microsoft has stolen all his work and has never implemented it properly anyway. At least Apple paid something for. And Andy Hertzfield and others modified it to make it more artistic and better for plain folk to create cool stuff.