Bandwidth-guzzling iPhone called "Hummer of cellphones"

Comments

• Reply 41 of 145
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

I just placed a call to AT&T asking them where my MMS and tethering services were. Three rungs up the ladder and no one has an answer.

I urge all iPhone users to call them and demand to know where these promised services are. Their lame "we are working to be able to provide the best experience" means nothing.

This is so true.

Customer: Why can't we have a robust information infrastructure like every school-child in every other civilized country takes for granted, and has for the past seven years?

AT&T: It's your fault. We gave you a decent device, and you used it too much.

Customer: Where's all the money you got from us? How many years have you had to anticipate, react, and improve?

AT&T: We are working to be able to provide the best experience.

Customer: *&^%$#

AT&T: Have a nice day.
  • Reply 42 of 145
    More like the Ferrari or Lamborghini of cell phones.

(May be a gas guzzler but goes like heck and everyone would have one if they could afford it.)
  • Reply 43 of 145
    What a load of crap. iPhone users use a lot more bandwidth, because they have a product that is actually *usable*! Previous phones had crappy browsers that you wouldn't use if someone paid you. What a surprise that when a useful, easy to use, product comes out, people take advantage of it! Wow, poor AT&T, it sucks to sell a good product, I know, people might use it.

Btw, this, of course, has nothing to do with hummers. If your neighbour has a hummer, you should blow it up. If they have an iPhone, you should compliment them.
  • Reply 44 of 145
    AT&T has enough blame, but what about Apple? It takes years to expand a Wireless Network. Given that.......

1. What forecast did Apple give AT&T as far as projected US sales of iPhones and estimated average bandwidth per user? I bet it was far lower than anyone had ever expected. Without accurate projections, how could any wireless carrier build out a capable network ahead of the demand? Remember, too, that when the iPhone first came out, the APP Store was not even on anyone's radar. Apple kept adding features without first checking for network capacity.

2. Why did Apple choose just one US Wireless Carrier? Remember, this was Apple's decision, not AT&T's. We all know the reason why....higher subsidies from a single carrier (versus multiple carriers). So all that money that could have been used by AT&T to expand the network is sitting in Apple's bank accounts.
  • Reply 45 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I don't know of any wireless service that can outperform cable.

Why those guys would even compare the cost differences between coax to your home and nationwide wireless infrastructure costs and speeds is beyond silly.

Quote:

AT&T has spent billions of dollars installing and upgrading its infrastructure. Keep in mind all those European countries that were originally owned by the government and/or were built and many still are with tax payers monies.

We also need to keep in mind the geotechnical differences between many European nations and large open nations like the US.
  • Reply 46 of 145
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

1. It will be interesting if, once tethering is enabled, it will force Verizon to lower their data charges (currently $60/month with a 5 GB cap). A lot of folks have stayed with Verizon because they dislike ATT, but tethering could be the last straw that gets them to switch. I know it would tempt me. Maybe I'll use it as a barganning chip to try and negotiate a lower rate for Verizon's mi-fi card and just get a touch.

Whoever said that the iphone tethering is going to be free? And AT&T charges the same $60 for a data card plan.
  • Reply 47 of 145
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

If they offered the 3GS for that I would jump, but not the 3G. I want it primarily for the hardware improvements.

You can't have it both way. You can't ask someone to pay portion of your iPhone cost and not commit to their conditions. The iPhone no commitment prices are $499 (8GB 3G), $599 (16GB 3GS), or $699 (32GB 3GS).
  • Reply 48 of 145
    We don't even have smartphones and my wife and I get about the same level of service on Verizon as some iPhone users get on AT&T. Delayed SMS/MMS messages, dropped calls with full bars, messed up audio during calls, horribly slow data, etc... This is in Columbus, Ohio mind you. I fear the day the iPhone comes to Verizon. Their network is going to come to a crashing halt in less than 24 hours.
  • Reply 49 of 145
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I say ?becoming more common? and you somehow infer Blackberries on Sprint. Way to be a comprehensive reader! The Pre on Sprint requires a data plan. The Storm on Verizon requires a data plan. Each new phone that has been designated an ?iPhone-killer? by the media has typically been required to have a data plan. This is becoming a more common event in this category and I don?t expect it to change anytime soon.

Why are such a nasty person to everyone?

You said:

Quote:

Note that AT&T is not the first or the least to require data plans for a smartphone. This is becoming a more common event in this category and I don?t expect it to change anytime soon.

Blackberries are smartphones. I'm not gonna argue with you- you're way too sensitive yet always make these unfounded pronouncements.

Quote:

Why are such a nasty person to everyone?

??? ????
  • Reply 50 of 145
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You can't have it both way. You can't ask someone to pay portion of your iPhone cost and not commit to their conditions. The iPhone no commitment prices are $499 (8GB 3G), $599 (16GB 3GS), or $699 (32GB 3GS).

Wow - thanks for the listing. I will treat my precious 32G much beter now.

But tell me- where did I commit to lousy connectivity? I must have missed that clause.
  • Reply 51 of 145
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I would love to have bought mine outright, but I do use data (10GB to 40GB a month since I tether). and there would be no cost benefit to paying for it outright from AT&T, Apple or eBay. If they offer legal tethering I will pay for it since it is a service beyond what I agreed to pay for with my contract, but since they don’t I will continue to tethering my iPhone until they offer it.

I would have paid the full price if it was unlocked without a contract. But since it is locked to AT&T (officially) and I personally need the data plan there was no point of paying $400 more.
  • Reply 52 of 145
    Conflating data guzzling with gas guzzling is intellectually dishonest, professionally dubious and lame.
  • Reply 53 of 145
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

AT&T has enough blame, but what about Apple? It takes years to expand a Wireless Network. Given that.......

1. What forecast did Apple give AT&T as far as projected US sales of iPhones and estimated average bandwidth per user? I bet it was far lower than anyone had ever expected. Without accurate projections, how could any wireless carrier build out a capable network ahead of the demand? Remember, too, that when the iPhone first came out, the APP Store was not even on anyone's radar. Apple kept adding features without first checking for network capacity.

2. Why did Apple choose just one US Wireless Carrier? Remember, this was Apple's decision, not AT&T's. We all know the reason why....higher subsidies from a single carrier (versus multiple carriers). So all that money that could have been used by AT&T to expand the network is sitting in Apple's bank accounts.

Apple has been as surprised as everyone else by the iPhone's popularity. Back in the EDGE model sales were pretty bad because of the high price and lack of features compared to much cheaper phones. with the 3G, OS 2 and the app store it has been a steamroller and they can't make them fast enough.

Apple went to VZ first and Verizon told them no thank you and the cell phone market was already crowded. Sprint has a much smaller 3G network than AT&T. T-Mobile is only now starting to sell a few 3G phones and their coverage is even worse than AT&T.

and if Apple went with VZ it would be a much more expensive phone due to the radio requirements
  • Reply 54 of 145
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intense View Post

eventually around the world, slow internet will be an issue of the past

It will be a long time coming. Historically, the capacity of any new system is usually well behind the demand for it. One can look at hard drives, memory, or the interstate highway system as examples. As soon as more capacity is available the usage increases to fill it to the maximum. I can't wait for the jet packs and flying cars, that will be hilarious.
  • Reply 55 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You said:

Blackberries are smartphones. I'm not gonna argue with you- you're way too sensitive yet always make these unfounded pronouncements.

??? ????

I know what I said, i even repeated it to you. You somehow inferred that because I stated that it?s "becoming more common" with smartphones that this automatically included Blackberries on Sprint. More common doesn?t mean all smartphones. It certainly doesn?t mean the average cheap Blackberry. I?ve read your posts for a long time, you are angry, short-sided and just not very good at any complex thought or idea, but I don?t think it?s too much to ask you to at least re-read what you are going to respond to on this forum. It would go a long way to not have all have the slowest posters hate you around here. Again, more common does not mean any and all you wish to make include.
  • Reply 56 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Apple kept adding features without first checking for network capacity.

Oh, yes, they did check. You couldn't download anything weighting more, than 10MB, from iTunes store over 3G. The warning popped up. WiFi only.
  • Reply 57 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I would have paid the full price if it was unlocked without a contract. But since it is locked to AT&T (officially) and I personally need the data plan there was no point of paying $400 more.

In another country I would have but in the US, AT&T is the only place I can use it anyway. The Dev Team?s unlock works very well so we are not without options.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

and if Apple went with VZ it would be a much more expensive phone due to the radio requirements

And we wouldn?t be able to use data while on a call. I know I certainly take this option for granted now.
  • Reply 58 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Oh, yes, they did check. You couldn't download anything weighting more, than 10MB, from iTunes store over 3G. The warning popped up. WiFi only.

Well, clearly, they ignored the total number of concurrent users.
  • Reply 59 of 145
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    But the Hummer uses more gas to do the same thing.

The iPhone just enabled us to do more of what the "mobile future" is supposed to have promised.

If all I wanted was to text, it's the same bandwidth use as a Blackberry. Or close enough.
  • Reply 60 of 145
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

There are a million websites on the iphone tear downs --- the most expensive parts are the memory, the display and the touch sensitive modules. Doing a VZ iphone would add maybe $2 on the parts list.