Bandwidth-guzzling iPhone called "Hummer of cellphones"

Comments

• Reply 101 of 145
    dahdah Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i've had my 3GS since launch and I think one month i was at 1GB plus or minus a few hundred MB

just because of this article i think i'll turn my wifi off and try to hit 5GB next month

I stood in line for the original iPhone - I came from Verizon and ya, there's no comparison. AT&Ts network was crap then and has not improved. And ya, I have the basic plan, but $68/mo. is crazy hi. Hopefully Verizon will get in and bring some sanity to the monthly cost. Hopefully, but I'm not holding my breath - I'll probably jump ship to them either way.
  • Reply 102 of 145
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Why do you think (IS95/CDMA2000) CDMA failed? Why do you think both Nokia and SE virtually withdraw from the CDMA market? Qualcomm controlled the market, charged high prices for their chips and drove up the cost of phone development.

Qualcomm's technology and chips are the best around but manufacturers and carriers pay a very high premium for them. They're the Apple of the silicon world.

GSM fanbois don't realized this --- Qualcomm WON the war.

Right now, Qualcomm is the largest mobile chipset manufacturer in the world, and they are largest company in the mobile industry --- larger than Nokia, larger than Siemens, larger than Ericsson, larger than Texas Instruments.
  • Reply 103 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Still waiting for you to tell me what other carrier won't also allow just voice on their smartphones. Waiting.

How many times do you need to be told the same thing? A reading comprehension course would do you some good. The Palm Pre on Sprint REQUIRES a data plan. The BB Storm on Verizon REQUIRES a data plan. As higher-end smartphones get larger subsidizes to egret compete with the iPhone I suspet this trend Apple started to continue. No one said that every cheap ass smartphone on every carrier I requiring it. LEARN TO READ!
  • Reply 104 of 145
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

How many times do you need to be told the same thing? A reading comprehension course would do you some good. The Palm Pre on Sprint REQUIRES a data plan. The BB Storm on Verizon REQUIRES a data plan. As higher-end smartphones get larger subsidizes to egret compete with the iPhone I suspet this trend Apple started to continue. No one said that every cheap ass smartphone on every carrier I requiring it. LEARN TO READ!

YES- You're the one who SAID IT!:

Quote:

Starting Sunday, all AT&T phones under the category of smartphone will be required to have a $30/month data plan.

And then you say AT&T is not the first nor least. And I asked - then who else IS?

Are you THAT dense or just can't write?
  • Reply 105 of 145
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

The Tour also comes with a smaller screen and less internal storage than the iPhone, so RIM is cutting corners somewhere to make up for the cost of the radio chip.

i've also read that Qualcomm makes customers load their phones with Qualcomm software

If you look at the Blackberry Storm teardown, you will notice that the Qualcomm MSM7600 chip is the most expensive item at $35. But the MSM7600 is a dual CPU core chip which acts as both the baseband processor and the application processor. It also includes the GPS module and the Audio codec module within the MSM7600 chip.

If you look at the iphone 3Gs teardown:

http://www.isuppli.com/News/Pages/iP...-Reveals.aspx?

That's $14.46 for the application processor, $13 for the baseband processor, $2.25 for the GPS module and $1.15 for the Audio codec --- for a grand total of $30.86.

So the difference is $4.
  • Reply 106 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

YES- You're the one who SAID IT!:

And then you say AT&T is not the first nor least. And I asked - then who else IS?

Are you THAT dense or just can't write?

Back to reading comprehension. I wrote:

Quote:

Note that AT&T is not the first or the last to require data plans for a smartphone. This is becoming a more common event in this category and I don’t expect it to change anytime soon.

Since when does the word 'a' does mean 'all'? Keep up with your backtracking and your inability to ever admit that you can't read well or that you've simply made a mistake, because at least you can reinforce what we all think about you around here.
  • Reply 107 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

So why doesn't AT&T offer a voice-only plan yet? I don't want to pay for data (Wifi is fine for my specific needs) so I wouldn't be using up their precious bandwidth.

For the same reason that they don't offer a low-minute voice plan with a data plan. I'd be happy with paying for limited minutes and then 5gb of data at $30.00 but I can't get it. No iPhone for me
  • Reply 108 of 145
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

For the same reason that they don't offer a low-minute voice plan with a data plan. I'd be happy with paying for limited minutes and then 5gb of data at $30.00 but I can't get it. No iPhone for me

I actually have an AT&T $29/month plan with 200 minutes (plus free nights/weekends) which serves my limited voice needs, and I tried my SIM card in a friend's iPhone and it worked fine. So I'm inclined to get a 'no commitment' 3GS and keep my existing service, and live off of Wifi with no data plan. Total 2-year savings (after fees and taxes): ~ $800

Edit: cost breakdown (estimated):

No Commitment 3GS = $600

$29/mo + fees: ~$40 x 24 months = $960

All in (24 months) = $1560

------

Standard 2-year 3GS = $200

$70/mo + fees: ~$90 x 24 months = $2160

All in (24 months) = $2360

Obviously the former scenario comes with fewer minutes and no data access, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to live with. I really want it for the hardware and apps.
  • Reply 109 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I actually have an AT&T $29/month plan with 200 minutes (plus free nights/weekends) which serves my limited voice needs, and I tried my SIM card in a friend's iPhone and it worked fine. So I'm inclined to get a 'no commitment' 3GS and keep my existing service, and live off of Wifi with no data plan. Total 2-year savings (after fees and taxes): ~ $800

I'm getting $40 x 24 = $960, and that doesn't include any taxes. You can save a lot but paying an additional $400 the device up front does need to removed from the total savings and if you keep your phones more than 2 years on average then you include some additional savings. For me, this is not a good plan as I use AT&T network a lot. In all honesty, I abuse t he he'll out of it. I'm average at least a dozen GBs a month.
  • Reply 110 of 145
    Like I tell my kids: no matter what they may say in their marketing propaganda, banks, insurance companies and utilities (read ATT) are not your friends.

It's strictly a business arrangement. The minute they stop making money off you, they'll cut you off and walk away.
  • Reply 111 of 145
    Ordinarily I would be more understanding...because I would think that ordinarily building out something like a national network would be something that takes more time than a couple of weekends here or there. It is also no secret that the iPhone has literally ubered any and all sales forcasts set in place by both Apple and AT&T...starting with the 2G, continuing with the 3G, and overkilling all forcasts with the 3GS (even though some are simply replacements), so AT&T is stuck playing catch up, while Apple bathes in $$$ (you don't pay them monthly...but they make more pure margin off you in the time it takes you to swipe your credit card than AT&T probably does in 1 or 2 years). So yeah...ordinarily I would see the scope of the situation...

BUT...

I know AT&T is hiding that 'I Dream of Genie' chick somewhere in the bowels of their headquarters. They could just make her blink and do that weird thing with her nose and the problem would be fixed...but they don't. They could also use her to make me into a super attractive and cool dude, but they don't. Why? I'm not sure, probably because they are pure evil and stab puppies in the ear. I just know the grass is greener on the other side because AT&T waters their with acid. Verizon and the rest of the world have absolutely no issues with anything, and could take a bazillion iPhones on their network no sweat. I have also heard never-neverland is covered everywhere, and has download speeds measured in terabits. Yeah.

I think that sums it up pretty well. I should note I am lucky enough to live in an area where I have had no problems and have been very happy with service (Minneapolis area - which has had 850Mhz running for quite some time). But still, they are evil guys...think of the poor puppies.
  • Reply 112 of 145
    I got my 3GS this summer and have no problems getting great 3G speeds and great coverage - at home (testing w/o WIFI), work and about town. Maybe there is a lot worse iphone density by the UT campus. Although I am a very light voice user, I have had no problems with dropped calls.

Just glad I don't live in a dense urban area like NYC - where the airwaves are like trying to drive your car out of Manhattan via the Holland tunnel at 5PM (used to live in NJ).
  • Reply 113 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Hey, don't even fret...you or ATT. Once the ATT/Apple contract is up and Verizon(hoping) gets the phone, ATT's network should be back to normal...that is once everyone bolts to a better network

Verizon will in most likelyhood never, ever get an iPhone. It is a CDMA network and I doubt very much if Apple would ever waste the resources to make a version of the iPhone for only one network.

If anyone would get it it would be T-Mobile.
  • Reply 114 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jodyfanning View Post

Verizon will in most likelyhood never, ever get an iPhone. It is a CDMA network and I doubt very much if Apple would ever waste the resources to make a version of the iPhone for only one network.

If anyone would get it it would be T-Mobile.

T-Mobile’s 3G coverage has gotten better but I’m not sure it’s still all that great in comparison to the Big 3. It would only mean a new chip that had the additional radio frequency. I’d think Apple would just use that chip for the whole of the US, and not actually create two separate model lines that had to be stocked for the US market.
  • Reply 115 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Hey, don't even fret...you or ATT. Once the ATT/Apple contract is up and Verizon(hoping) gets the phone, ATT's network should be back to normal...that is once everyone bolts to a better network

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

GSM fanbois don't realized this --- Qualcomm WON the war.

Right now, Qualcomm is the largest mobile chipset manufacturer in the world, and they are largest company in the mobile industry --- larger than Nokia, larger than Siemens, larger than Ericsson, larger than Texas Instruments.

Are you totally off your rocker?

Revenue year ending 08.

Nokia, $71,485,887,000

Qualcomm, $11,142,000,000

I think there is a slight difference there.
  • Reply 116 of 145
    Quote:

T-Mobile?s 3G coverage has gotten better but I?m not sure it?s still all that great in comparison to the Big 3. It would only mean a new chip that had the additional radio frequency. I?d think Apple would just use that chip for the whole of the US, and not actually create two separate model lines that had to be stocked for the US market.

It is not just "a new chip" they have to redesign the logic boards and all the RF parts inside the phone, it is a major cost.

And they would have to still keep a GSM/UMTS version for the other networks. So yes they would need two product lines.

And then how could everyone suddenly move to Verizon? They all have phones that only work in AT&T / T-Mobile. Don't tell me you think everyone is going to buy a new phone and pay to dump their existing contract?
  • Reply 117 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jodyfanning View Post

It is not just "a new chip" they have to redesign the logic boards and all the RF parts inside the phone, it is a major cost.

And they would have to still keep a GSM/UMTS version for the other networks. So yes they would need two product lines.

And then how could everyone suddenly move to Verizon? They all have phones that only work in AT&T / T-Mobile. Don't tell me you think everyone is going to buy a new phone and pay to dump their existing contract?

That is if they wanted to make a Verizon, Sprint or any CDMA-based iPhone. T-Mobile is GSM, using the same GSM frequencies as AT&T and has UMTS like AT&T, but requires Band IV (W-CDMA’s 1700MHz frequency) for 3G. While this chip would require a reworking and testing Apple could make this a single model. But you are right, this still requires a lot of R&D and even FCC testing to get approval. However, I doubt they’d do it mid model for ease of service by preventing any hiccups so if we are to expect T-Mobile to be added we’d have to wait until that late Sprint event to hear info about T-Mobile being added when Apple announces the new iPhone HW.
  • Reply 118 of 145
    Quote:

That is if they wanted to make a Verizon, Sprint or any CDMA-based iPhone. T-Mobile is GSM, using the same GSM frequencies as AT&T and has UMTS like AT&T, but requires Band IV (W-CDMA?s 1700MHz frequency) for 3G. While this chip would require a reworking and testing Apple could make this a single model. But you are right, this still requires a lot of R&D and even FCC testing to get approval. However, I doubt they?d do it mid model for ease of service by preventing any hiccups so if we are to expect T-Mobile to be added we?d have to wait until that late Sprint event to hear info about T-Mobile being added when Apple announces the new iPhone HW.

T-Mobile is a minor change (reasonably minor), but for everyone expecting a Verizon (or Sprint) version I think they are going to be disappointed.

The world has basically standardized on GSM/UMTS and now LTE. CDMA is a deadend.
  • Reply 119 of 145
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It will be a long time coming. Historically, the capacity of any new system is usually well behind the demand for it. One can look at hard drives, memory, or the interstate highway system as examples. As soon as more capacity is available the usage increases to fill it to the maximum. I can't wait for the jet packs and flying cars, that will be hilarious.

I'm going to sit it out for the first month of jet packs and flying cars, by that time I figure most of the idiots will have taken the Darwin route, and the skies should be much safer.
  • Reply 120 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy View Post

More like the Ferrari or Lamborghini of cell phones.

(May be a gas guzzler but goes like heck and everyone would have one if they could afford it.)

+1! But there are already a lot of iPhones around..