iTunes 9 with app management, LPs, more, unveiled by Apple

Comments

• Reply 101 of 121
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Some important features missing from the latest iTunes Store:

- No movie keyword search. For example searching "FBI" for movies about the FBI gives no results. Even though there are clearly FBI movies there such as Silence of the Lambs and The Kingdom.

- No information about what year a movie came out. The "release date" field must be the date it went to DVD or something, because it's not the year the movie originally came out. This means, for example, if you like 80s movies you can't go to the browse area and sort by year.

- No way to simply view all new movies added to the store in e.g. the last week. The "New to Own" and "New to Rent" sections seem to mostly be about new movies and not cover back catalogue. I could be wrong here but I seem to find movies by browsing that got added without appearing in these lists.

- Lack of context sensitive search. If am am looking for movies, I want the search results screen to show as many movies as possible. Instead I only get 6 movie results and the rest of the screen taken up by iPhone apps, iTunes U, pop songs etc. I'm sure this kind of cross selling is a marketing guys dream, but to me it is just a poor search results window.

Some good changes:

- Add to wish list. I have wanted this for a while.

Some not so good changes:

- Slower loading

- The way the trailer plays in a popup. I think by now most people associate popups with error messages, so it always alarms me when things pop up.
  • Reply 102 of 121
    i had to uninstall service pack 3 and then install itunes 9 + quicktime. otherwise itunes and quicktime will not start "encountered problems........." message.

test itunes under services pack 2 then reinstall service pack

while i was installing itune i did not find anything on apple support site.

===

like the home network and app installation features . finally something things happening.
  • Reply 103 of 121
    The new look (at least the PC version) is crappy... I really hate it...
  • Reply 104 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

The iTunes store redesign was long overdue. Can anyone confirm if iTunes 9 on Snow Leopard is now Cocoa / 64-bit ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

It is NOT 64-bit.. What a shame!

Does anyone know why iTunes 9 isn't 64-bit yet?
  • Reply 105 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Does anyone know why iTunes 9 isn't 64-bit yet?

I've heard it speculated that in the way QuickTime X has removed so many features thatwill likely come later due to the Cocoa rewrite, iTunes 64-bit, which means a Cocoa rewrite, will likely have the same issues, but iTunes can really has all these features removed the way the QuickTime player got stripped. I am thinking that we'll see some major testing of iTunes X at some point sent to developers to test. This is the kind of thing I'd think Apple would likely keep under wraps but I think it might be too extensive for them to only test in-house.
  • Reply 106 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I've heard it speculated that in the way QuickTime X has removed so many features thatwill likely come later due to the Cocoa rewrite, iTunes 64-bit, which means a Cocoa rewrite, will likely have the same issues, but iTunes can really has all these features removed the way the QuickTime player got stripped. I am thinking that we'll see some major testing of iTunes X at some point sent to developers to test. This is the kind of thing I'd think Apple would likely keep under wraps but I think it might be too extensive for them to only test in-house.

So would that suggest a 64-bit iTunes X would appear around the (now defunct) Macworld time frame, or would you think it might be as far away as next year's likely iPhone refresh?
  • Reply 107 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porsupah View Post

(1) The green window button (top left of OS X windows) now only brings the mini-window up to normal size - it can't return it to that size. Clicking on it again just toggles between not-quite-fullscreen window and normal size. So shift-cmd-M is now the *only* way to enter mini-player size?

Try Option+clicking the green button.
  • Reply 108 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allgood View Post

i too am experiencing what Porsupah described in his point (2) -- no window of my iPod touch's applications.

my touch apps themselves show up in a list to the left side of the screen, but the right side of the screen (that should be devoted to the app management windows) is totally blank.

i've quit, re-sync-ed, re-started, etc... nada.

any ideas?

thanks!

Have you updated your iPod Touch firmware to 3.1? It requires this to work.

Note, there is a bug in this area. I have posted a bug report to Apple.

-----

When I go to the application sorting page on my iPod Touch sync screeen, I have come across an issue.

When you double click an application on the left, it should (and does) highlight which screen and where on that screen it is currently located.

If I however search for a particular application, and then double click it, it finds and highlights the wrong app.

If I click on different sort methods, still with the list filtered by using search, I get different results.

I'll try and do a screen capture using Quicktime X to demostrate.
  • Reply 109 of 121
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

So would that suggest a 64-bit iTunes X would appear around the (now defunct) Macworld time frame, or would you think it might be as far away as next year's likely iPhone refresh?

Gruber has written a little piece referencing another article on the lack of a 64-bit Cocoa iTunes.

If they waited until the iPod event next year and introduced it this amazing new thing they would get laughed at by the Windows enthusiasts. I can see it now.
    Quote:

“Apple thinks that going to 64-bit is such a big deal when MS took Windows to 64-bit for years ago. Hell, even iTunes on Windows has been 64-bit for years. OS X must suck to code for if 64-bit takes so long when it’s so easy on Windows.”

Of course, all those statements would be ignorant, but they either won’t know better or won’t care and trying to explain it would be quite tough for Apple from a PR perspective.

It’s worth a read: http://daringfireball.net/2009/09/itunes_and_cocoa
  • Reply 110 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Gruber has written a little piece referencing another article on the lack of a 64-bit Cocoa iTunes.

If they waited until the iPod event next year and introduced it this amazing new thing they would get laughed at by the Windows enthusiasts. I can see it now.

Of course, all those statements would be ignorant, but they either won?t know better or won?t care and trying to explain it would be quite tough for Apple from a PR perspective.

It?s worth a read: http://daringfireball.net/2009/09/itunes_and_cocoa

Thanks for the link; it was an interesting read. I get the impression though that Gruber seems generally unimpressed with software improvements if they don't also deliver something "new" to the user experience. But, as I understand it, Apple's transition to Cocoa and 64-bit (indeed the crux of Snow Leopard), isn't about adding to the user experience, it's about refining the "behind-the-scenes" inner workings of that experience to make Mac OS X more streamlined, more efficient and more stable. To that end, extending that same Cocoa 64-bit rewrite to as many applications as possible would only serve this effort.

I'm not sure who Gruber is referencing by citing "complaints," or the lack thereof, that iTunes isn't 64-bit yet. For me, I thought Apple would convert it for the same size, speed, stability and compatibility benefits the app would receive like the others which have been rewritten. Frankly, based on what I'd read about the benefits of SL, I'd assumed that once SL was released, Apple would introduce a 64-bit version of all Apple software updated thereafter, much like they gradually transitioned their entire product line to Intel. Also, if 64-bit versions would only be compatible with SL, it still doesn't mean that everyone would necessarily have to upgrade. It may not be installed in SL by default, but Rosetta can still be installed as an option to insure legacy software still functions on OS X Snow Leopard, right? Clearly Apple plans to continue supporting 32-bit software.

For the record, I have a large iTunes library and a relatively low-powered C2D and I do occasionally contend with some latency in iTunes; I'd hoped a 64-bit version would alleviate the occasional sluggishness. SL and iTunes 9 have certainly helped a bit, but I still suspect a Cocoa 64-bit iTunes would be more solid, efficient and deliver a smoother user experience.
  • Reply 111 of 121
    So when will the reviewers mention that all video downloads from the store in 8.2.1 are no longer allowed without a 9 upgrade? While Video Podcasts continue to work in 8.2.1, none of the free or paid video downloads in the Store work without a nag dialog box saying you MUST Upgrade to 9 to get this video.

Moreover, the iTunes Store interface has essentially been DESTROYED from the point of view of anyone who actually shops in the store and uses the RETURN and UP DOWN ARROWS to sample hundreds of tracks a week.

Where's the outrage? I can't believe Apple is getting a pass on these outrageous changes that make it particularly hard for elderly to shop and buy music and videos on the Store.

I for 1 REFUSE TO UPGRADE to 9 no matter how much Apple threatens me by KILLING all Video Downloads in 8.2.1. I will be going to corporate to physically complain with a protest sign if they do not relent after a week of feedback memos.

I am aghast that no threads have been implemented by any of the major sites on this subject. From my point of view iTunes 9 is an abomination that should be rejected by the general public.
  • Reply 112 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Moreover, the iTunes Store interface has essentially been DESTROYED from the point of view of anyone who actually shops in the store and uses the RETURN and UP DOWN ARROWS to sample hundreds of tracks a week.

I?m happy for the change. I absolutely hated the iTS before. It was a visual clusterfrak that looked like it was designed by Yahoo!. I would rather make perhaps on my iPhone than on my Mac just so I didn?t have to use the iTune ITS interface. The only real drawback is the lack of a shopping cart.
  • Reply 113 of 121
    Quote:

I’m happy for the change. I absolutely hated the iTS before. It was a visual clusterfrak that looked like it was designed by Yahoo!. I would rather make perhaps on my iPhone than on my Mac just so I didn’t have to use the iTune ITS interface. The only real drawback is the lack of a shopping cart.

They've just changed the name to Wish List. But no longer are you allowed to make it a separate window. If you sample a lot of tracks and want to see the entire playlist of an album with 40-50 tracks all at once like I do you would feel differently.

Apparently you think having to double click on each track to play each 30-second sample is easier than highlighting the track and pressing the RETURN key followed by the down arrow so the next track is in the queue to be played with the return key at the end of the 30 second sample.

I feel just the opposite way you do about the change.
  • Reply 114 of 121
    Quote:

Apparently you think having to double click on each track to play each 30-second sample is easier than highlighting the track and pressing the RETURN key followed by the down arrow so the next track is in the queue to be played with the return key at the end of the 30 second sample.

That sounds like a complex way to do it. When I mouseover a track there the track number changes to a blue circle with a play button. I click that once and it plays. I click another once and it plays the next one. This is more like the iPhone OS iTS version. I?m actually using this preview for once!
  • Reply 115 of 121
    Quote:

That sounds like a complex way to do it. When I mouseover a track there the track number changes to a blue circle with a play button. I click that once and it plays. I click another once and it plays the next one. This is more like the iPhone OS iTS version. I’m actually using this preview for once!

In the first place you can't see the whole playlist of any album with more than 15 tracks in it which for me are 99% of the albums I buy. In the second place you telling me click on tracks one at a time instead of hitting return + the down arrow to put the next one in the queue so when it ends you simply hit return to play the next one is harder than having to click on the next one with the mouse?

The 8.2.1 interface was perfect. The 9 interface is a complete total disaster.
  • Reply 116 of 121
    Quote:

In the second place you telling me click on tracks one at a time instead of hitting return + the down arrow...

I?m not telling you to do anything, I stated quite clearly that I happen to like the change and hated the way it worked before. Am I not entitled to my opinion? Can my preference not be different from yours?

We clearly don?t use the store in the same way. I suggest you do submit that missing feature. You are likely in the minority since I don?t know many people that like to sample 500 tracks a week, but a petition may help here. I?d ever post it on Apple?s forum.
  • Reply 117 of 121
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    iTunes 9 has fixed a longstanding problem I've had with the old phatty Nano - unless there was about 30% free space, the calendar, notes and address-book didn't work properly (only a hundred addresses, only one calendar maybe, only a few notes..) Now ALL is working just fine.

Love the changes in iTunes 9 .. everything seems faster, smoother, smarter and cleaner.

Thanks Apple!
  • Reply 118 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

iTunes 9 has fixed a longstanding problem I've had with the old phatty Nano - unless there was about 30% free space, the calendar, notes and address-book didn't work properly (only a hundred addresses, only one calendar maybe, only a few notes..) Now ALL is working just fine.

Love the changes in iTunes 9 .. everything seems faster, smoother, smarter and cleaner.

Thanks Apple!

So this comment makes it clear to me that few users do their shopping in the Store the way I've grown accustom to doing. I don't want to be a whiner so I'm glad the majority of you who don't play hundreds of 30-second samples each week are enjoying the upgrade.

I just wish Apple wouldn't shove iTunes 9 down the throats of a minority who can't live with the new interface by disabling all video downloads in 8.2.1 except Video Podcasts in order to FORCE Upgrades - not because it's technically necessary.

I believe this is the first time Apple has done something like this to force iTunes upgrades on users. It makes me an unhappy customer to know Apple won't let users choose between the old interface and the new one. When it comes to shopping the iTunes Store - and I buy a lot of albums from them - I can't stomach the new interface at all. It's far harder to shop on the new interface for me than it is on the old one.
  • Reply 119 of 121
    Quote:

So this comment makes it clear to me that few users do their shopping in the Store the way I've grown accustom to doing. I don't want to be a whiner so I'm glad the majority of you who don't play hundreds of 30-second samples each week are enjoying the upgrade.

I just wish Apple wouldn't shove iTunes 9 down the throats of a minority who can't live with the new interface by disabling all video downloads in 8.2.1 except Video Podcasts in order to FORCE Upgrades - not because it's technically necessary.

I believe this is the first time Apple has done something like this to force iTunes upgrades on users. It makes me an unhappy customer to know Apple won't let users choose between the old interface and the new one. When it comes to shopping the iTunes Store - and I buy a lot of albums from them - I can't stomach the new interface at all. It's far harder to shop on the new interface for me than it is on the old one.

Have you tried having both versions installed at the same time under different names so that you can use v9 for videos and v8 for music sampling? How about doing this in a VM or switching accounts? It?s not ideal, but it may be a workaround for the time being.
  • Reply 120 of 121
    Quote:

Have you tried having both versions installed at the same time under different names so that you can use v9 for videos and v8 for music sampling? How about doing this in a VM or switching accounts? It?s not ideal, but it may be a workaround for the time being.

I don't think I want multiple accounts running on my primary Mac Pro. But I can run iTunes 9 on one of my other 5 Macs here - even share the same library I think. I serve a 1TB library to a 2008 Snow Leopard 8 core Mac Pro from a Leopard Quad G5. I think I can run iTunes 9 on the Leopard Quad G5 pointed at the same library with the same account. That way when I download weekly free videos on the Quad G5 they will still go into the same library the Mac Pro sees.

Thanks for making me think about how to do it here a little more. That's the obvious way to do it. Same account + same library HD = transparent video downloads that will show up on the 8.2.1 version as soon as they're downloaded on the 9 version over where the library lives. Easy Peezy.

So I don't need to protest after all. I'll just run this work around all the time. I wonder if I can easily move the iPhone over to the Quad G5 as well so I can use that improved iPhone applications management feature I do like in 9? Will it erase the whole 32GB of contents so I have to start over when I put the phone over there instead of where it started on the Mac Pro? I'm afraid so. Can anyone help me know the answer to that?