Apple refreshes iPod classic, ups capacity to 160GB

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    I don't understand the 3rd Gen shuffle. When I'm out walking or riding, the earbud cord is usually tucked under my jacket or shirt which would make the controls hard to get to. With buttons on the device, I can control it from my pocket, or wherever I choose to clip it.

I just ordered a refurbished 2nd Gen shuffle after seeing nothing new today. I really thought Apple would abandon the 3G model today and replace it with a low-end nano with a clip.
  • Reply 42 of 82
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

It?s not typical of Apple to use 3rd-party component HW before they are introduced by the vendor. Even CPU that Apple gets from Intel before others have been leaked to the internet. Are you claiming that you knew these 160GB single-platter drives existed before the event today? If so, then why didn?t you make mention of it?

If you look at Toshiba and the 1.8" form factor they love so much you can see that they tend to release a new model with higher densities in the August-September timeframe.

Single-platter releases:

120GB September 2008

80GB September 2007

50GB December 2006 (100GB dual platter format)

40GB August 2005

30GB August 2004

20GB November 2003

So, projecting that there would be a 160GB single platter 1.8" HDD from Toshiba around the same time as Apple announced new iPods in 2009 is not what I would call a very high-risk proposition. Claiming in July (or whenever) that a 160GB single platter drive doesn't exist is simply ignoring a relatively steady set of yearly announcements by Toshiba.

Heck, the press releases from year to year look remarkably the same. "Toshiba introduces Highest-Capacity, Single-Platter <X GB> 1.8-Inch HDD based on <new technique this year>".

I didn't "mention" it because I wasn't in whatever thread you were in when you said that.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

What are you not getting? Toshiba announced the new hard drive AFTER the Apple presentation.

Sure, but I still found it amusing.

Quote:

Logisticaldron never stated that no one would ever increase it.

Given that Toshiba has been releasing a higher capacity 1.8" drive around this time every year like clockwork it's kinda a given.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

I don't understand the 3rd Gen shuffle. When I'm out walking or riding, the earbud cord is usually tucked under my jacket or shirt which would make the controls hard to get to. With buttons on the device, I can control it from my pocket, or wherever I choose to clip it.

I just ordered a refurbished 2nd Gen shuffle after seeing nothing new today. I really thought Apple would abandon the 3G model today and replace it with a low-end nano with a clip.

That's just absurd!

I have my headphones plugged into my iPhone 24/7, with the cord under my shirt and I never need to pull my iPhone out of my pocket, either to listen to music or to take a call. How is that possible? Because they put the button/microphone at neck level where it should be.
  • Reply 45 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Sure, but I still found it amusing.

Given that Toshiba has been releasing a higher capacity 1.8" drive around this time every year like clockwork it's kinda a given.

You find it amusing to appear as though you can't understand a simple paragraph?

Yeah, like clockwork until flash takes over and people stop making hard drives...
  • Reply 46 of 82
    Quote:

So, projecting that there would be a 160GB single platter 1.8" HDD from Toshiba around the same time as Apple announced new iPods in 2009 is not what I would call a very high-risk proposition. Claiming in July (or whenever) that a 160GB single platter drive doesn't exist is simply ignoring a relatively steady set of yearly announcements by Toshiba.

Despite no evidence of Apple ever announcing a 1.8? HDD capacity upgrade before the HDD manufacturer, you thought that it was likely that Toshiba would announce this new drive just a couple hours after I made a comment about not being able to find it because THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT IT EXISTING YET ON THE INTERNET? You can honestly say that you 11:30am when I last checked and came up nothing right before the event, that your gut feeling was that Apple announce a higher capacity drive and then have Toshiba announced after Apple, ?Hey, you may have heard we have a higher capacity drive out know?? I never said that it couldn?t happen, I never stated that it wouldn?t happen, i stated that there was NO EVIDENCE as of 30 minutes before the Apple event of this drive existing. The oldest news you can point to is immediately AFTER the event ending and AFTER I compared the thickness of last year?s and this year?s Classic to know that Apple did indeed get their hands on a higher-density 1.8? HDD.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    Quote:

That's just absurd!

I have my headphones plugged into my iPhone 24/7, with the cord under my shirt and I never need to pull my iPhone out of my pocket, either to listen to music or to take a call. How is that possible? Because they put the button/microphone at neck level where it should be.

Gee thanks. And thanks for the information. Anyway, I prefer my own headphones so the 2G model is better for me.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Quote:

Logisticaldron never stated that no one would ever increase it.

Quote:

I see no evidence of any further development of 1.8? HDDs.

I think that worst case, it gets dropped from the line up. Best case, it maintains as is, not even with a camera.

Quote:

1.8? HDD technology doesn?t appear to have increased capacity, reduced power usage or increased speed. I just don?t see how it?s an evolutionary step when it appears that 1.8? HDD makers appear to have put the brakes on these drives and Flash drives of this size are now being made with these HDD capacities, albeit still at a higher cost per GB although it?s dropping fairly quickly.

No, he just stated that they had stopped right before the next expected release cycle. Had it been say...December 2009 or January 2010 he might have had more leg to stand on with such a statement.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

Gee thanks. And thanks for the information. Anyway, I prefer my own headphones so the 2G model is better for me.

If you had read the announcement today, with the adapter, you can use any headphones with the new shuffle...
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Quote:

Despite no evidence of Apple ever announcing a 1.8? HDD capacity upgrade before the HDD manufacturer, you thought that it was likely that Toshiba would announce this new drive just a couple hours after I made a comment about not being able to find it because THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT IT EXISTING YET ON THE INTERNET?

Nope, i just read your post, did a Google search and the rest was history.

Quote:

You can honestly say that you 11:30am when I last checked and came up nothing right before the event, that your gut feeling was that Apple announce a higher capacity drive and then have Toshiba announced after Apple, ?Hey, you may have heard we have a higher capacity drive out know?? I never said that it couldn?t happen, I never stated that it wouldn?t happen, i stated that there was NO EVIDENCE as of 30 minutes before the Apple event of this drive existing. The oldest news you can point to is immediately AFTER the event ending and AFTER I compared the thickness of last year?s and this year?s Classic to know that Apple did indeed get their hands on a higher-density 1.8? HDD.

Would I have said categorically that there would be a 160GB iPod classic? Nope. But I sure as hell wouldn't have stated that 1.8" HDD development had stopped with nearly zero research into the matter.

A cursory Google revealed that Toshiba has been releasing higher and higher density 1.8" drives every year since 2003. A cursory Google that you appeared to have failed to do. Heck, even if you only looked at the release of the 120GB platter you might have noted it was only a year ago and most of the time you don't see any new models before a year is out.

From what data did you conclude that "1.8? HDD technology doesn?t appear to have increased capacity, reduced power usage or increased speed"?
  • Reply 51 of 82
    Quote:

No, he just stated that they had stopped right before the next expected release cycle. Had it been say...December 2009 or January 2010 he might have had more leg to stand on with such a statement.

I never stated any such thing. I made a posting hours before Toshiba?s announcement and right before the Apple event that I can?t find the drive. It wasn?t there. You couldn?t find it 11 hours ago if you had bothered to look for it. Only you are stating that if it didn?t exist at one point that it can?t ever exist in the future. My point was that Apple may keep it at 120GB if there is no suitable replacement at the time. If the drive came out a month from now I would have expected Apple to announce a 160GB Classic coming next month. I know time can be hard for some people but you linking to it on Google AFTER it was announced has no baring on a post I made hours prior.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    Quote:

LOL! hindsight is 20/20 isn't it?!

Now that you know that Toshiba came out with the new hard drive it's so easy to say that it was obvious!
  • Reply 53 of 82
    Quote:

Nope, i just read your post, did a Google search and the rest was history.

You posted AFTER the announcement was made despite my post being hours BEFORE the announcement was made and BEFORE the Apple event. Time is really that tough for you?

Quote:

Would I have said categorically that there would be a 160GB iPod classic? Nope.

I said I see no evidence of this drive existing so I didn’t expect the Classic to be updated and available to day. That is far cry from the absolutionuist answers you and Teckstud give. The world is not all black and white.
  • Reply 54 of 82
    I write...
    Quote:

Last year Apple dropped the thicker, dual-platter 160GB iPod Classic and bumped the thinner, single-platter 80GB Classic to 120GB. I can’t find any evidence that HDD makers have increased the capacity of the single platter 1.8” HDDs to 160GB

and you think…
    Quote:

Would I have said categorically that there would be a 160GB iPod classic? Nope. But I sure as hell wouldn't have stated that 1.8" HDD development had stopped with nearly zero research into the matter.

What part of my comment confuses you so much? What part of my comment implies that they never will and that development has stopped? Why can’t you conceive of the drive being ready later in the year with the Classic capacity bumped up then?
  • Reply 55 of 82
    Are the new Shuffles coming out in the old colors? Why not the match the new colors of the Nanos. The green is awful.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    Quote:

You find it amusing to appear as though you can't understand a simple paragraph?

I find it amusing that I'm on the same side as teh stud once in a blue moon.

Quote:

Yeah, like clockwork until flash takes over and people stop making hard drives...

Yah, sure. Not for a few more years. Given Intel's X25-M problems the flash SSD market still won't be mature enough to replace HDD for a while. The verification suites for SSDs are still nascent in comparison to other solid state devices (like say CPUs).
  • Reply 57 of 82
    Quote:

If you had read the announcement today, with the adapter, you can use any headphones with the new shuffle...

I did and I decided on a 2G shuffle instead. Having controls only on the headphone cord doesn't appeal to me, at neck level or at the other end as it would be with an adapter.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    Quote:

I write...

and you think…

What part of my comment confuses you so much? What part of my comment implies that they never will and that development has stopped? Why can’t you conceive of the drive being ready later in the year with the Classic capacity bumped up then?

Nice switcheroo:

"1.8” HDD technology doesn’t appear to have increased capacity, reduced power usage or increased speed. I just don’t see how it’s an evolutionary step when it appears that 1.8” HDD makers appear to have put the brakes on these drives"

Is the statement in question, quoted above and specifically referenced by me. It may not be absolutely "absolutist" but it's pretty close and just plain wrong.

So, from what data did you use to come up with that conclusion?

Because it was last updated in September 2008 and "no evidence" of upgrades since then?
  • Reply 59 of 82
    Quote:

LOL! hindsight is 20/20 isn't it?!

Now that you know that Toshiba came out with the new hard drive it's so easy to say that it was obvious!

It's obvious because Toshiba has been doing this every year for the last six years.

It's like guessing that Apple will update their iPod lineup soon after school starts and the Back To School sales end.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    Quote:

Nice switcheroo:

"1.8” HDD technology doesn’t appear to have increased capacity, reduced power usage or increased speed. I just don’t see how it’s an evolutionary step when it appears that 1.8” HDD makers appear to have put the brakes on these drives"

Is the statement in question, quoted above and specifically referenced by me.

So, from what data did you use to come up with that conclusion?

Because it was last updated in September 2008 and "no evidence" of upgrades since then?

Doesn’t appear, because prior to the Classic announcement there was no information available on Google. “Appears” is not a statement of fact. It is an observation based on the data at hand. When the 160GB Classic was announced and the size was the exact same as the 120GB Classic, guess what appeared to be the case? It wasn’t TARDIS technology, it appeared that Apple got these drives and announced them before the vendor did. That turned out to be true. Geez! You should take reading comprehension courses with Teckstud if you going to read a conditional statement as an absolute statement.