Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.1, security updates, more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The numbers are less than half?

Can you give some Leopard numbers and some SN numbers?

Sure. Here is the test done with Leopard 10.5.8 (Mac Pro specs in my signature):

HTML Code:
    Results252.74
    System Info
    Xbench Version1.3
    System Version10.5.8 (9L30)
    Physical RAM32768 MB
    ModelMacPro3,1
    Drive TypeWDC WD3200AAJS-41VWA0
    CPU Test190.72
    GCD Loop327.9617.29 Mops/sec
    Floating Point Basic160.633.82 Gflop/sec
    vecLib FFT134.164.43 Gflop/sec
    Floating Point Library235.5741.02 Mops/sec
    Thread Test830.59
    Computation1124.1922.77 Mops/sec, 4 threads
    Lock Contention658.5928.33 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
    Memory Test202.30
    System284.32
    Allocate314.731.16 Malloc/sec
    Fill243.4911838.90 MB/sec
    Copy306.076321.67 MB/sec
    Stream157.00
    Copy160.483314.67 MB/sec
    Scale157.713258.27 MB/sec
    Add155.893320.85 MB/sec
    Triad154.073296.01 MB/sec
    Quartz Graphics Test243.39
    Line219.2014.59 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
    Rectangle295.8688.33 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
    Circle240.5619.61 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
    Bezier235.665.94 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
    Text238.0614.89 Kchars/sec
    OpenGL Graphics Test185.37
    Spinning Squares185.37235.15 frames/sec
    User Interface Test351.35
    Elements351.351.61 Krefresh/sec
    And here is the result in Snow Leopard 10.6.0 (with 64 bit kernel. 32-bit kernel results are very comparable, but not better).

HTML Code:
    Results209.29
    System Info
    Xbench Version1.3
    System Version10.6 (10A432)
    Physical RAM32768 MB
    ModelMacPro3,1
    Drive TypeWD 5000BEV External
    CPU Test199.19
    GCD Loop329.5317.37 Mops/sec
    Floating Point Basic159.063.78 Gflop/sec
    vecLib FFT131.914.35 Gflop/sec
    Floating Point Library314.5654.78 Mops/sec
    Thread Test841.97
    Computation1155.7323.41 Mops/sec, 4 threads
    Lock Contention662.2028.49 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
    Memory Test213.36
    System336.79
    Allocate606.042.23 Malloc/sec
    Fill247.6012038.67 MB/sec
    Copy310.686416.90 MB/sec
    Stream156.13
    Copy157.243247.78 MB/sec
    Scale157.883261.67 MB/sec
    Add155.203306.02 MB/sec
    Triad154.283300.33 MB/sec
    Quartz Graphics Test216.11
    Line192.8012.84 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
    Rectangle237.3670.87 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
    Circle204.4116.66 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
    Bezier229.125.78 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
    Text223.2213.96 Kchars/sec
    OpenGL Graphics Test96.71
    Spinning Squares96.71122.69 frames/sec
    User Interface Test356.31
    Elements356.311.64 Krefresh/sec
    Note that disk was not tested in either case.

Note also that after update to 10.6.1 I got:

HTML Code:
    OpenGL Graphics Test93
  • Reply 22 of 88
    Wow, Apple's already released an update for Snow Leopard and I'm still waiting for super-slow Canada Post to deliver my install disk \
  • Reply 23 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Sure. Here is the test done with Leopard 10.5.8 (Mac Pro specs in my signature):

[?]

There are many things you need to consider with that test. For starters, you are not using the same drive in the same location with the OS built on the same place on the drive. 10.6 is listed as being on an external drive. That is going to be slower than any 3.0Gbps SATA drive. Then you need to make sure the OSes have exactly the same things running, meaning no extraneous 3rd-party processes that could be affecting results.

Then there is the nature of the test. Xbench is rout with issues that may supply an okay starting point but one should never use it as conclusive evidence as to how well your system performs. Have you tried other testing apps? Did you use the 64-bit version of XBench? Is it even optimized for use on SL yet?

I see that the results for 10.6 beat 10.5 in CPU thread and memory tests, as one would expect. I?d wager that the test isn?t accurate for OpenGl and Quartz. There are other tests that show these have been well improved in SL and the tests were not using XBench so I?d have to side with them.
  • Reply 24 of 88
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are many things you need to consider with that test. For starters, you are not using the same drive in the same location with the OS built on the same place on the drive. 10.6 is listed as being on an external drive. That is going to be slower than any 3.0Gbps SATA drive. Then you need to make sure the OSes have exactly the same things running, meaning no extraneous 3rd-party processes that could be affecting results.

Then there is the nature of the test. Xbench is rout with issues that may supply an okay starting point but one should never use it as conclusive evidence as to how well your system performs. Have you tried other testing apps? Did you use the 64-bit version of XBench? Is it even optimized for use on SL yet?

I see that the results for 10.6 beat 10.5 in CPU thread and memory tests, as one would expect. I?d wager that the test isn?t accurate for OpenGl and Quartz. There are other tests that show these have been well improved in SL and the tests were not using XBench so I?d have to side with them.

Sure, I'll be the first to doubt the accuracy of XBench measurement of say CPU performance (since it never spikes any of my 8 cores) etc. Hence this test is good as comparative test on the same hardware.

Which brings me to the next point. Like I mentioned speed of the disk was not measured in either test. Also, graphics driver is loaded in memory when the system starts so, disk performance should not come into play. Also, if anything my Leopard install has more things running at all times, unlike the Snow Leopard test which had nothing but clean OS X install and XBench on it .
  • Reply 25 of 88
    Quote:

What does "double less than Leopard" mean?

Good to have you back, Mel.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Sure, I'll be the first to doubt the accuracy of XBench measurement of say CPU performance (since it never spikes any of my 8 cores) etc. Hence this test is good as comparative test on the same hardware.

Which brings me to the next point. Like I mentioned speed of the disk was not measured in either test. Also, graphics driver is loaded in memory when the system starts so, disk performance should not come into play. Also, if anything my Leopard install has more things running at all times, unlike the Snow Leopard test which had nothing but clean OS X install and XBench on it .

This site agrees with your OpenGL tests.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Leaping lizards I'm off to download it. Good job Steve and Co!
  • Reply 28 of 88
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Leaping lizards I'm off to download it. Good job Steve and Co!

Thank you HP and Apple! You've restored my faith in both of you in being considerate of the environment by not abandoning slightly older printers.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Wow, Apple's already released an update for Snow Leopard and I'm still waiting for super-slow Canada Post to deliver my install disk \

You, me and several others i know.

I'm beginning to wonder if Apple really shipped them. My promised delivery date was 3 September.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Just to join in ... Snow Leopard Sucks!

My <obscure inkjet printer> won't work when it's connected to my <cheap network device from 1995> especially when I'm sending <obscure file type from five year out of date program> using Rosetta on my hackintosh tower.

• Reply 31 of 88
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Just to join in ... Snow Leopard Sucks!

My <obscure inkjet printer> won't work when it's connected to my <cheap network device from 1995> especially when I'm sending <obscure file type from five year out of date program> using Rosetta on my hackintosh tower.

LOL! But seriously, we owe Apple lots of credit for distributing bug fixes as fast as they have. Anytime there's a major revamp to a complex operating system, we have to expect that the huge population of users with varied hardware and varied legacy software will uncover problems that are never discovered even in extended beta test stages. Let's count our blessings that we're not installing a new operating system from Microsoft!
  • Reply 32 of 88
    If drivers for your printer do not show up in Snow Leopard, and there is no option for a generic driver (that you can use until original ones arrive), then you might be in luck if you've got your Leopard disc handy.

Insert your Leopard disc, and then click on Optional Installs. Then in the next window you might have to click on Optional Installs again. From the new Window, select Printer drivers. Select the appropriate brand, and then install.

So really, we're trying to use Leopard drivers here, moved from your Leopard disc onto Snow Leopard.

If you're in luck, usable drivers might show up in your System Preferences, or perhaps a generic driver that will work.

Best of luck!
  • Reply 33 of 88
    Quote:

Frustrating.

My Canon IPF5100, which us an Ethernet printer works fine.

My HP CLS8500N, also a network model, doesn't.

The Canon worked with 10.6 as well.

All my USB printers work, though I had to add a driver from Apple's list, though the correct driver was installed for my Samsung SCX-4521F.

All the printers I have show up in the print dialog box and the add printer window except the HP.

The only way to add the HP is through the IP printing menu. I've never had to do that before. But even after it's added, and set up, which works well, it pauses when a job is sent, because it says that it can't find the printer. The driver will resume when I delete the job. I don't understand why it won;t see the printer as the Ethernet lights on the router and printer are on, showing that it's recognized by the network. When I plug the cable into the second Ethernet port on the Mac Pro, it till doesn't see it. This is odd.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ctID=c01844302

Quote:

HP LaserJet, Color LaserJet and LaserJet MFP Products - Mac OS X 10.6: HP LaserJet print drivers

Mac OS X v10.6 ?Snow Leopard? includes HP LaserJet print drivers

Snow Leopard - HP LaserJet printer setup instructions

HP LaserJet Printers supported in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard ? Print driver only

Mac OS X v10.6 ?Snow Leopard? includes HP LaserJet print drivers

Mac OS X v10.6 ?SnowLeopard? customers

The latest HP printer driver for devices listed below are built into Mac OS X 10.6. You do not need to download or reinstall any HP software for full printing functionality.

HP LaserJet print drivers are included in Apple?s Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD and also available via Apple Software Updates.

NOTE:Please do not reinstall drivers from HP LaserJet CDs or web downloads for previous Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4, or 10.5. The latest SnowLeopard compatible drivers are included in Mac OS X 10.6 and you?ll experience best performance and functionality if the latest HP software is used.

\tNOTE: \tThere is no HP Print Utility support for devices below. You can administer all networked HP LaserJet printers by accessing the Embedded Web Server in the printer.A few different ways to open the printers Embedded Web Server include:
    1. From Safari ? open the Bonjour tab under the book icon pull down menu and select the printer.

2. From any web browser, enter printers IP address in the browsers address bar.

Snow Leopard - HP LaserJet printer setup instructions
    • Upgrade install from Mac OS X v10.4, 10.5:

If updating a Mac using the Snow Leopard DVD, the install process should automatically detect your previous HP printer queue, delete, and then create a new HP printer queue using the latest HP printer drivers included in Snow Leopard.

USB printers:
    1. Make sure printer is turned On and connected.

2. Open a document to print, and then choose File , Print .

3. Open the Printer pop-up and choose your printer.

4. If you don?t see your printer, choose Add Printer , and then select More Printers button.

5. In the Name column, select the printer, then click Add.

Network printers:

You can connect to HP printers on your local network that use Bonjour, IP, and Open Directory, as well as shared printers connected to an Apple Airport base station.

NOTE:Apple does NOT support AppleTalk in new Mac OS X 10.6.
    1. Choose File , Print .

2. Open the Printer pop-up menu and choose your printer. It may be in the Nearby Printers submenu.

3. If your printer does not appear, choose Add Printer from the Printer pop-up menu.

4. A dialog appears listing any Bonjour, IP, shared, and Open Directory printers on your local network. It may take a minute or two for your printer to appear.

NOTE: On larger networks, outside the Bonjour link-local network, your printer may not show up in the list. You can connect to the printer using IP. An IP printer is a network printer that uses TCP/IP protocol (such as JetDirect, LPD/LPR, IPP) to communicate with your printer. You need to know the IP address or DNS name.
    1. Click IP in the toolbar.

2. Select HP Jetdirect - Socket in the Protocol pull down menu.

3. Enter the printer?s information available from printers front panel or printers network configuration page.

4. The system should automatically bind to the HP print driver in the Print Using pull down menu.

5. Click Add to create the HP printer queue for your HP LaserJet.

Your computer can usually detect whether a printer has special accessories installed, such as additional paper trays, duplex unit, or extra memory. If it can?t, a dialog appears that lets you specify them. Make sure the settings in that dialog accurately reflect your printer?s installed options to enable full functionality.

Clean install of Snow Leopard or setting up a new Macintosh with Snow Leopard already installed:
    • If configuring a new Mac running Snow Leopard or if performing a new or clean install of Snow Leopard:
      1. For USB connected printers, the install process should automatically create a new HP LaserJet printer queue using the latest HP printer drivers included in Snow Leopard.

2. For network connected printers, follow steps below.

USB printers:
    1. Make sure that printer is turned On and connected.

2. Open a document to print, and then choose File , Print .

3. Open the Printer pop-up and choose your printer.

4. If you don?t see your printer, choose Add Printer , and then select More Printers button.

5. In the Name column, select the printer, then click Add.

Network printers:

You can connect to HP printers on your local network that use Bonjour, IP, and Open Directory, as well as shared printers connected to an Apple Airport base station.

NOTE: \tApple does NOT support AppleTalk in new Mac OS X 10.6.
    1. Choose File , Print .

2. Open the Printer pop-up menu and choose your printer. It may be in the Nearby Printers submenu.

3. If your printer does not appear, choose Add Printer from the Printer pop-up menu.

4. A dialog appears listing any Bonjour, IP, shared, and Open Directory printers on your local network. It may take a minute or two for your printer to appear.

1. \tNOTE: \tOn larger networks, outside the Bonjour link-local network, your printer may not show up in the list. You can connect to the printer using IP. An IP printer is a network printer that uses TCP/IP protocol (such as JetDirect, LPD/LPR, IPP) to communicate with your printer. You need to know the IP address or DNS name.

2. Click IP in the toolbar.

3. Select HP Jetdirect - Socket in the Protocol pull down menu.

4. Enter the printer?s information available from printers front panel or printers network configuration page.

5. The system should automatically bind to the HP print driver in the Print Using pull down menu.

6. Click Add to create the HP printer queue for your HP LaserJet.

• Reply 34 of 88
    Apple fix the damn vertical lines in safari !!!!!! It's freaking annoying

damn!!!!!!
  • Reply 35 of 88
    Any idea why my Late 2007 iMac (10.6.1) with Radeon HD 2600 Pro does not think the FW update applies to it ??

Apple say:

"This update is for iMac computers with an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT graphics card installed, running Mac OS X 10.5.2 or later.

It updates the graphics card firmware on the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT graphics card in the iMac to improve system stability."

I downloaded the FW installer, ran it, and it says it doesn't apply to my computer...

I can't tell from System Profiler what version is currently running.

In Graphics/Display, System Profiler says:

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Chipset: ATI,RadeonHD2600

Vendor ATI (0x1002)

DeviceID 0x9583

RevisionID 0x0000

ROM Version 113-B2250F-212

EFI Driver Version 01.00.212

• Reply 36 of 88
    Well, my Canon was working before Snow Leopard. I do know that this isn't Apple fault, but it's broken now.
  • Reply 37 of 88
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukechip View Post

Any idea why my Late 2007 iMac (10.6.1) with Radeon HD 2600 Pro does not think the FW update applies to it ??

Apple say:

"This update is for iMac computers with an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT graphics card installed, running Mac OS X 10.5.2 or later.

It updates the graphics card firmware on the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT graphics card in the iMac to improve system stability."

I downloaded the FW installer, ran it, and it says it doesn't apply to my computer...

I can't tell from System Profiler what version is currently running.

In Graphics/Display, System Profiler says:

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Vendor ATI (0x1002)

DeviceID 0x9583

RevisionID 0x0000

ROM Version 113-B2250F-212

EFI Driver Version 01.00.212

I have the same configuration: iMac 7,1 with an ATI Radeon 2600 Pro. Downloaded the firmware posted today, and got a message that my computer did not need the firmware update. I do not know why; perhaps an error in the installer?
  • Reply 38 of 88
    I noticed the same thing with the new ATi firmware and after checking via system profiler these are the differences I noticed and would be the reason it is not needed.

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Vendor ATI (0x1002)

DeviceID 0x9583

RevisionID 0x0000

ROM Version 113-B2250F-219

EFI Driver Version 01.00.219

The above 2 have 219 at the end instead of 212

This is under 10.6.1
  • Reply 39 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob_06 View Post

I noticed the same thing with the new ATi firmware and after checking via system profiler these are the differences I noticed and would be the reason it is not needed.

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Vendor ATI (0x1002)

DeviceID 0x9583

RevisionID 0x0000

ROM Version 113-B2250F-219

EFI Driver Version 01.00.219

The above 2 have 219 at the end instead of 212

This is under 10.6.1

Yes, I do have 219. My thanks. How did you derive that 219 correlated with Mac OS X 10.6.1? Just a higher number?
  • Reply 40 of 88
    well, I will finally have time tonight to install SL, after backing up 2 of my macs earlier in the week.

There has been reports saying that SL broke DVD play back, and this update says it fixes that, so can anyone with a SL broken DVD function confirms the fix? I dont want to risk breaking DVD playback on my mini since its my entertainment center hooked to my TV.