Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.1, security updates, more

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imagine Engine View Post

Installed the update 10.6.1 which hasn't resolved customer issues (ie: GUI artifacts, shaders not displaying correct colours) on high-end software such as Maya, 3DS Max, Cinema4D, Houdini, etc. Apple Insider should take a look into all the complaints being filed by Autodesk (Maya, 3DS Max), SideEffects (Houdini) and Maxon (Cinema4D) customers regarding problems running their software after upgrading to Snow Leopard from Leopard. The complaints are from both freelancers and studios. Add to that I now experience Safari freezing on me when visiting sites such as Wired. Apple's R&D team really need to test their software thoroughly before rushing out an update which can cause more problems than solutions for customers.

There is an OS X version of 3DS Max?
  • Reply 62 of 88
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

When I plug the cable into the second Ethernet port on the Mac Pro, it till doesn't see it. This is odd.

Ethernet 1 and Ethernet 2 (otherwise known as eth0 and eth1 on unix) are two distinctly different interfaces. In order to use eth1 you need to configure it in the network settings and assign it an IP or dhcp before it will be recognized.
  • Reply 63 of 88
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mallen View Post

I have yet to read of anyone successfully installing this update.

You are right. Here is a link for anyone interested in this topic:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....53574&tstart=0

Edit: Issue is about the inability to install firmware for the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphic card.

HD 2400 XT
  • Reply 64 of 88
    Visit the manufacturers website and just download the Leopard drivers. Might work.

Now my Brother HL-5370DW has complete, fully-featured drivers, and I can print in full HQ1200. Including duplexing. The works, really. I don't really need any Snow Leopard drivers now.

That was almost too easy.
  • Reply 65 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Visit the manufacturers website and just download the Leopard drivers. Might work.

Now my Brother HL-5370DW has complete, fully-featured drivers, and I can print in full HQ1200. Including duplexing. The works, really. I don't really need any Snow Leopard drivers now.

That was almost too easy.

Thanks. Tried that first but HP has this who page devoted to saying that you get the drivers from SL and you cannot download them from their site.
  • Reply 66 of 88
    regreg Posts: 832member
    My HP LaserJet 3390 AIO was reduced to just a printer on the computers that were updated to 10.6. Installed 10.6.1 and the HP drivers and now all the computers can use the scanning and fax functions. On one of the machine, iMac 2.4, I had to delete the HP software and download it from the HP site. The site said for 10.5 but it works with 10.6.1
  • Reply 67 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Thanks. Tried that first but HP has this who page devoted to saying that you get the drivers from SL and you cannot download them from their site.

Is there a way for you to get the Leopard drivers? I know HP directs you to SL, but they might still have OS X 10.5 drivers posted. Those who did not upgrade to SL still need Leoapard drivers, for example. You can usually select which OS you have, product, etc. When it asks you to select your OS, just choose Leopard and not 10.6.
  • Reply 68 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg View Post

My HP LaserJet 3390 AIO was reduced to just a printer on the computers that were updated to 10.6. Installed 10.6.1 and the HP drivers and now all the computers can use the scanning and fax functions. On one of the machine, iMac 2.4, I had to delete the HP software and download it from the HP site. The site said for 10.5 but it works with 10.6.1

I have a feeling that in some cases (maybe not all), people simply need to visit the manufacturer's website and get Leopard drivers instead. This often involves selecting "Leopard" as your OS, etc.
  • Reply 69 of 88
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    I was hoping they would address the Virtual Software USB noise issues, but I'm guessing they are only just now hearing about it.

All Virtual Machine products appear to be affected (VirtualBox, Parallels, VMWare Fusion). Using a USB headset in a virtual machine gives you an ear full of screech. I had to downgrade back to Leopard today.

Hopefully soon...
  • Reply 70 of 88
    Quote:

I have a feeling that in some cases (maybe not all), people simply need to visit the manufacturer's website and get Leopard drivers instead. This often involves selecting "Leopard" as your OS, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried the leopard drivers but have the same issue - seems like it might be an APX issue?
  • Reply 71 of 88
    Well I installed it on my iMac yesterday - upgraded from Tiger.

I have to say that despite the numerous and annoying interface inconsistencies, I kinda like it.

One thing that Win7 does better though is you can visually tell an application has minimized windows because the app icon changes to show 'depth' behind it - in SL the only way to tell you have minimized icons is via Expose.

I held off upgrading iLife to '09 however and will wait until likely iLife '10 when hopefully Apple will have made the apps 64bit.

But ya, overall I'm quite happy with it.
  • Reply 72 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

I have to say that despite the numerous and annoying interface inconsistencies, I kinda like it.

One thing that Win7 does better though is you can visually tell an application has minimized windows because the app icon changes to show 'depth' behind it - in SL the only way to tell you have minimized icons is via Expose.

That is a good point. It was never too much trouble before as apps would minimize to the area of the Dock where folders were kept. I personally never liked this effect as I want them to leave my sight completely, but with Snow Leopard you can turn on the "Minizime window into application icon? in the Dock?s System Preferences. I much prefer the Exposé setup with the minimized windows showing up as thumb nails in the bottom of the screen, but I?m sure some would like the option to have a way to see the minimized windows show up visually on the Dock icon. Submit it to Apple as a request.

Quote:

I held off upgrading iLife to '09 however and will wait until likely iLife '10 when hopefully Apple will have made the apps 64bit.

I wonder if iLife ?10 and iWork ?10 will not happen, but instead we?ll get iLife X and iWork X. Besides the ?X? making it sound cool it may be a pattern they are introducing to major apps (or suits) that have been converted to Cocoa, and by extension 64-bit. I think we?re likely to stick with iTunes 9 until they do the extensive rewriting that will make iTunes X Cocoa. Who knows how long these will take to rewrite. The new Mac holiday releases presumably coming next month? CES in January 2010? WWDC 2010? Later?
  • Reply 73 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried the leopard drivers but have the same issue - seems like it might be an APX issue?

Hmmm . . . guess it doesn't always work. I confess I only tried it for my Brother laser, so I assumed it might work for other kinds.

Were you not able to get generic drivers off the Leopard disc?
  • Reply 74 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ethernet 1 and Ethernet 2 (otherwise known as eth0 and eth1 on unix) are two distinctly different interfaces. In order to use eth1 you need to configure it in the network settings and assign it an IP or dhcp before it will be recognized.

I'm running my network over eth1, and connected the printer to eth0. I know how to set these up as I've done it many times.

The point I was attempting to make was that it wasn't a router problem, and that even a direct hookup didn't work.

As I've since mentioned, I got it working (connected to the router) over IPP by inputting the actual IP address, which I really didn't want to have to do.
  • Reply 75 of 88
    Quote:

Is there a way for you to get the Leopard drivers? I know HP directs you to SL, but they might still have OS X 10.5 drivers posted. Those who did not upgrade to SL still need Leoapard drivers, for example. You can usually select which OS you have, product, etc. When it asks you to select your OS, just choose Leopard and not 10.6.

They are on the Leopard install disk.
  • Reply 76 of 88
    Quote:

Why would they have to be 64 bit for you? Do you run vast spreadsheets and have more than 4GB RAM in your machine?

Otherwise, it won't matter much.
  • Reply 77 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder if iLife ?10 and iWork ?10 will not happen, but instead we?ll get iLife X and iWork X. Besides the ?X? making it sound cool it may be a pattern they are introducing to major apps (or suits) that have been converted to Cocoa, and by extension 64-bit. I think we?re likely to stick with iTunes 9 until they do the extensive rewriting that will make iTunes X Cocoa. Who knows how long these will take to rewrite. The new Mac holiday releases presumably coming next month? CES in January 2010? WWDC 2010? Later?

It's not important to get iLife and iWork 64 bit so quickly.

What is important is that they get the FCS to Cocoa and 64 bit.
  • Reply 78 of 88
    Quote:

Why would they have to be 64 bit for you? Do you run vast spreadsheets and have more than 4GB RAM in your machine?

Otherwise, it won't matter much.

The point being, why upgrade to a product that will likely be updated next year with a version that takes advantage of the new SL features.
  • Reply 79 of 88
    Quote:

The point being, why upgrade to a product that will likely be updated next year with a version that takes advantage of the new SL features.

It depends on the features of that product.

If you said that ver. 9 didn't add any features that you thought would add to your work, then that would make perfect sense.

But wanting to wait for 64 bits in products that likely won't show much advantage from their presence, doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 80 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It's not important to get iLife and iWork 64 bit so quickly.

What is important is that they get the FCS to Cocoa and 64 bit.

I’d say that it’s more important for Apple to close the book Carbon from its product lineup that that to move to Cocoa simply for 64-bit iLife. My speculative inquiry was when can we expect these apps and if they will go with the ‘X’ to indicate the change. Quicktime jumped from v7 to v10, so I’m thinking they may have decided this will be a marketing tool for certain OS X apps, though I doubt their professional apps will get this treatment.

Their professional apps are huge and I wonder if next summer at WWDC is enough time to get them re-written with the same features as they have now. Who knows when they began the project. Hopefully it’s sooner than later.