Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.1, security updates, more

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I’d say that it’s more important for Apple to close the book Carbon from its product lineup that that to move to Cocoa simply for 64-bit iLife and iWork. My speculative inquiry was when can we expect these apps and if they will go with the ‘X’ to indicate the change. Quicktime jumped from v7 to v10, so I’m thinking they may have decided this will be a marketing tool for certain OS X apps, though I doubt their professional apps will get this treatment.

Their professional apps are huge and I wonder if next summer at WWDC is enough time to get them re-written with the same features as they have now. Who knows when they began the project. Hopefully it’s sooner than later.

While I'm sure that Apple is working on the "i" apps, they really aren't so important. Also, 32 bit Carbon isn't going away so fast. It will be with us for a while yet.

They also need to make aperture 64 bit if they intend to keep it around. Lightroom has been Cocoa and 64 bit from the very beginning, which is something the Aperture fanboys never took into account. I can tell you that it's much faster than Aperture.

But FCS, unlike the "i" apps needs 64 bit.

People have been screaming at both MS and Adobe for not moving to Cocoa years ago, and having their big apps 64 bit now. There's an excuse for them, but for Apple?
  • Reply 82 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

People have been screaming at both MS and Adobe for not moving to Cocoa years ago, and having their big apps 64 bit now. There's an excuse for them, but for Apple?

This is a decent read...
  • Reply 83 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is a decent read...

Yeah, I read that.

John Nack has been writing some interesting posts in his blog about this for a while now.
  • Reply 84 of 88
    iWork apps are Cocoa.

Pages.app needs useful Vector Drawing capabilities.
  • Reply 85 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

iWork apps are Cocoa.

Pages.app needs useful Vector Drawing capabilities.

Yeah, even Keynote first came out in 2003. Nice catch.
  • Reply 86 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If drivers for your printer do not show up in Snow Leopard, and there is no option for a generic driver (that you can use until original ones arrive), then you might be in luck if you've got your Leopard disc handy.

Insert your Leopard disc, and then click on Optional Installs. Then in the next window you might have to click on Optional Installs again. From the new Window, select Printer drivers. Select the appropriate brand, and then install.

So really, we're trying to use Leopard drivers here, moved from your Leopard disc onto Snow Leopard.

If you're in luck, usable drivers might show up in your System Preferences, or perhaps a generic driver that will work.

Best of luck!

Actually this load of the very same driver [EPSON SC 740 (1)] from the Leopard disk that works from the Snow Kitty disk caused an error when loading in Printer Setup. See my Trial-N-Error solution:

Snow Leopard Broke My Wi-Fi Printing >>>

\tAfter upgrading to Snow Leopard 10.6 & 10.6.1, I can no longer connect to/print to my Epson Stylus Color 740 via our Wi-Fi LAN. I’ve also tried re-installing Leopard drivers from the Leopard DVD. I can print if I do it via a shared Wi-Fi printer connection from my wife’s PowerBook G4, which is running Leopard10.5.8.

\tAnalysis:

\tThis is what works from Madeline’s 15” PowerBook G4 1.5GHz, even when shared with my MacBook Pro 2.8GHz from it and I cannot edit it:

mdns://EPSON%20Stylus%20COLOR%20740._riousbprint._tcp.loc al./EPSON%20Stylus%20COLOR%20740%20%02%01

\tUsing the Epson Stylus Color Gutenprint v5.2.3 driver (or v5.1.3), this doesn’t work from my MacBook Pro:

dnssd://EPSON%20Stylus%20COLOR%20740._riousbprint._tcp.loc al.

\tThis is the connection for the shared printing via the PowerBook G4 which works, as noted above:

dnssd://EPSON%20Stylus%20COLOR%20740%20%40%20Madeline%E2%8 0%99sPowerBookG4._ipp._tcp.local.

\tThe Epson Stylus Color 740 also prints fine with these 2 drivers when directly connected via USB cable with the MacBook Pro. My analysis is that the Wi-Fi connection to the Epson Gutenprint drivers is broken & I cannot edit it directly. I also do not know what to input to the LPD or IPP driver setup windows to make the connection work.

\tAfter talking to Apple Support /TCP/IP & getting nowhere, I tried "One More Thing": I re-installed the printer drivers from the Snow Leopard install Disk for Install Options, "Printers on this Mac" and "Printers Located nearby". It took ~10 minutes & put the same driver on this MacBook Pro that is working on the PowerBook G4: Epson SC 740 (1). This is what that looks like:

dnssd://EPSON%20Stylus%20COLOR%20740._riousbprint._tcp.loc al./EPSON%20Stylus%20COLOR%20740%20%02%01

\tI'd tried to type this in B4 & couldn't get it to be accepted by the Printer Install process. BUT it is the same driver that the PowerBook G4 uses & IT WORKS!

VR, Ron S.
  • Reply 87 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It depends on the features of that product.

If you said that ver. 9 didn't add any features that you thought would add to your work, then that would make perfect sense.

But wanting to wait for 64 bits in products that likely won't show much advantage from their presence, doesn't make sense.

I shouldn't have focused on 64bit, but instead the other features such as Grand Central etc.
  • Reply 88 of 88
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Actually there are quite a few apps that would benefit from the larger memory space that 64 bit offers. virtualization products being a big one. Adobe products being another. When working with large 16 bits per channel image data, or with Windows virtual pc's, the larger memory addressability is a boon.

I'm not saying they should have concentrated only on this however. These things tend to take care of themselves due to market pressure. VMWare for instance can't run on a 64 bit kernel just yet. If Apple had forced the switch it would have broken a rather large installed based of users.

Arguably, many of the perks in 10.6 won't show any benefit until application developers rewrite their apps to take advantage.