Apple discounts 160GB Apple TV to $229, nixes 40GB

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

No update in the UK. We didn't get the last price cut either.

Currently showing as £195 ($323) for 40GB and £263 ($435) for 160GB. Not that the HDD size really matters. If you've got a movie collection then it's probably over 160GB and it streams perfectly well in my experience.

I totally agree. When the previous price-cut happened in the US I was considering getting one, but then the price cut never made it to the UK. If this price cut happens over here I might think again, but $229 should be £185 inc VAT - not £263!!!
  • Reply 22 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

We can only hope for a design refresh.... . .. anybody with any mock-ups?

I don't have any mockups, but I did find this link. It's not a very good mock-up, but has an interesting color scheme that interests me.

http://machappens.com/2007/09/19/alu...lass-apple-tv/

Personally, I think Apple should increase the size of the box slightly in order to squeeze in more hardware goodness (an optical drive perhaps, or much larger HDD, and hopefully better heat dissipation). They could easily make it up to 1 inch higher (keeping the same width and depth) and it would still seem like a small box compared to all the other AV equipment under my TV. And it would keep its same small footprint.

As for the current aesthetic, I think it's time for a makeover. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the top panel of the Apple TV is white-ish glass. I like the aluminum side casing and am fine with it staying, but I think the white top needs to go away in favor of a glossy black top (a la iMac/iPhone). I think it would be a welcomed change, and look pretty awesome. Of course Apple may have some interesting new materials in mind to further blow us away with. I could see an all black box being pretty killer. I mean, what tech junkie doesn't need a little black box?
  • Reply 23 of 93
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    A substantial rental library (thousands) is a minimum for the atv to be at all interesting. In its present form it is so far from reaching its potential it is a lame duck indeed. When SJ said it was a hobby I guess he was referring to hacking as a hobby.
  • Reply 24 of 93
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

It's still a better investment to buy a low-end Mac Mini, in my opinion.

BUY both and use the mini as a backup and all a round extra content device.

so your 3 or 4 mac would funnel info to the mac mini gatekeeper

and then on to APV

or i may have gotten the whole thing wrong

my roku box is amazing for 130 bucks

go apple
  • Reply 25 of 93
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

I don't see the point of DVR. I can use iTunes to purchase two seasons of a show that was on in 2003 and 2004; DVR won't let me go back in time. Also, over-the-air TV would just compete with iTunes.

I agree. And even those *with* a DVR would agree I think, that the days of watching a show when it comes on TV and waiting for the next episode and so on are pretty much over.

I think if the price is right, that most people would rather look up a show on the internet and either buy on DVD, or stream it to their AppleTV, computer, or DVR device a season at a time. The only interest I see nowadays about when a show is going to be on, is usually for a premium content, season ender that's debuting for the first time.
  • Reply 26 of 93
    How much hard drive space it came with for $229 was the least of the Apple TV's problems.
  • Reply 27 of 93
    Quote:

I don't see the point of DVR. I can use iTunes to purchase two seasons of a show that was on in 2003 and 2004; DVR won't let me go back in time. Also, over-the-air TV would just compete with iTunes.

iTunes does not do live T.V. and believe or not, there are actually people who enjoy sports and racing. Plus, people are choosing live T.V. and Hulu over iTunes anyway. The lack of capability and choice is just shooting Apple in the foot. Other options can't take anyway business you don't have.
  • Reply 28 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

It's still a better investment to buy a low-end Mac Mini, in my opinion.

Totally agree. I can't believe I actually spent $399 for my Apple TV way back when- I was so excited. This pricing is much more realistic considering it's basically an iTunes JukeBox which is geared towards getting you to buy and rent, rent and buy. Whatever.
  • Reply 29 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Totally agree. I can't believe I actually spent $399 for my Apple TV way back when- I was so excited. This pricing is much more realistic considering it's basically an iTunes JukeBox which is geared towards getting you to buy and rent, rent and buy. Whatever.

The best investment — and the one that makes the Apple TV look outright silly — is a $289 Blu-Ray player that has built in Netflix streaming, VUDU streaming, YouTube streaming, and of course DVD backwards compatibility. For what little it does, $229 for the Apple TV is absolutely outrageous.
  • Reply 30 of 93
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

How much hard drive space it came with for $229 was the least of the Apple TV's problems.

Maybe there will be a video event in January introducing a new AppleTV and a tablet. I don't see Apple giving up on the living room yet. This is probably a move to sell down the remaining stock to make room for all new models.
  • Reply 31 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The best investment — and the one that makes the Apple TV look outright silly — is a $289 Blu-Ray player that has built in Netflix streaming, VUDU streaming, YouTube streaming, and of course DVD backwards compatibility.

All wireless too.

I plan to get one this holiday season ( hopefully they'll add some free discs then as a promotion) and put last years Sony model in the bedroom so I can watch my MadMen and True Blood blus on it late before bed. Is that model you speak of Samsung? I know Sony's is wireless now for the live feature and I think it has Netflix.
  • Reply 32 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Maybe there will be a video event in January introducing a new AppleTV and a tablet. I don't see Apple giving up on the living room yet. This is probably a move to sell down the remaining stock to make room for all new models.

Well if the new model includes Blu-ray it would be foolish to introduce in January after the holiday season. This will be a big Blu-ray holiday season.
  • Reply 33 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I should hope so. Unfortunately, so long as Apple's in the business of selling content first and hardware second, they're not going to be anywhere near competitive with those companies who aren't in bed with the music and movie studios. Consumers will never see Netflix, VUDU, Pandora, Blu-Ray, DVD or DVR capabilities in an Apple TV, whose content will be forever limited to what the iTunes Store has for sale.
  • Reply 34 of 93
    Quote:

Your point has merit but what about sports shows, and things that are on today? I spend most of my TV watching time watching current episodes of programs, and I think most people do as well. I wish they would give Apple TV DVR capabilities but we all know that's a pipe dream...
  • Reply 35 of 93
    Here in Austria you can still buy the 40GB ATV.

And no price cut either. I know we pay a premium for Apple products over here,

but with the new US price we should pay ? 156.-, but we have to pay ? 333.- - all prices without tax.

(if the ratio would have been less than 1:2 I would not mention it)

And as Apple doesn't offer any real content for the ATV, the only thing you can use it over here

is to fry some egg on a stylish Apple product.
  • Reply 36 of 93
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I know that many say stop complaining about the price difference, but put yourselves in the UK or rest of the world's position. Apple is a company I love, I own many of their products, but I an so pissed of with reading a post about a new product or a refresh, I excitedly get my card out to order only to find that Apple is again expecting everyone outside of the USA to bend over and prepare for penetration, I'm so fed up with being royally shafted!

Guess that credit cards going to have to go back into my wallet!
  • Reply 37 of 93
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I know that many say stop complaining about the price difference, but put yourselves in the UK or rest of the world's position. Apple is a company I love, I own many of their products, but I an so pissed of with reading a post about a new product or a refresh, I excitedly get my card out to order only to find that Apple is again expecting everyone outside of the USA to bend over and prepare for penetration, I'm so fed up with being royally shafted!

Guess that credit cards going to have to go back into my wallet!

The Apple TV is a waste of money even with the price cut IMO. You can get an Acer Aspire Revo 160GB for less than the cheapest ATV and it's a full computer. Set it up with Windows Media Center and maybe a TV tuner with DVR software and it's far more functional than the ATV as well as cooler and cheaper.
  • Reply 38 of 93
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Just to put this into perspective, $229 is £138.10, add on our vat (currently 15%) and you get £158.86. Currently we are expected to pay £263.

I don't think any reasonable person even taking into account higher costs of trading etc could say that we are not being taken for a ride.

That means that the UK is paying (including vat) $436!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 39 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I agree. And even those *with* a DVR would agree I think, that the days of watching a show when it comes on TV and waiting for the next episode and so on are pretty much over.

I think if the price is right, that most people would rather look up a show on the internet and either buy on DVD, or stream it to their AppleTV, computer, or DVR device a season at a time. The only interest I see nowadays about when a show is going to be on, is usually for a premium content, season ender that's debuting for the first time.

my wife likes to watch AI and the dance shows live, not a week after they air. Football is also meant to be watched live.
  • Reply 40 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The Apple TV is a waste of money even with the price cut IMO. You can get an Acer Aspire Revo 160GB for less than the cheapest ATV and it's a full computer. Set it up with Windows Media Center and maybe a TV tuner with DVR software and it's far more functional than the ATV as well as cooler and cheaper.

All that I true, but like the iPod it's never been about features over the ability to use those features. but why stop there when you can built one that is better for less. If you want to connect to a TV a PC that you've built, configured, setup, or whatever then so be it. It'll always be cheaper than buying a dedicated device, but can you not see how a dedicated machine like an AppleTV or a TiVo offers options and simplifies the process that these homebrew solution that fit your needs may not fit the vast majority of people.